• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking of buying DMC5 at some point and thanks to Game Pass I don't have to. Beat the game, loved the gameplay and uninstalled right after to play something else. Bless GP.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, Outer Worlds debuts on Game Pass?

I don't have time for all this shit Microsoft, geez

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if serious.

Oh my god youre serious lol

It's all relative. Compared to the intro price, the regular asking price isn't a great deal. Compared to paying for everything separately, it obviously is. All I'm saying there will undoubtedly be people who think it's overpriced once that initial offer expires.

I also think its most avid users will likely reach a saturation point where they've played everything in the "100+ games' that interests them and they end up counting on the new stuff hitting the service to give them their money's worth. So landing the big titles will be key for it going forward.

You also have to realize down the road, yes many people will be subbed to Game Pass, but they will likely also be subbed to other subscription services. I mean, we already have several - like Ubisoft's and EA's - and the choices could eventually be as overwhelming as the streaming TV and movie services now. And if those other services have some of the same games as Game Pass (which I think they inevitably will), that can also hurt Game Pass's perceived value.

So again, for now Game Pass seems great (and it is!), but I think it will seem less great as it gets more competition, the intro price expires for many users, and the library starts to stagnate a bit as people play most of what it has to offer, and games on it start to cross over with other subscription services - i.e. Assassin's Creed might appear on it, while also obviously being on Uplay+.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be even crazier when MS's first party titles from all these studios they've acquired start getting added over the next couple of years.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Is there a consistently updated list of upcoming games for the PC game pass specifically?

No. Most third party games coming to the service are announced only a few days or weeks beforehand. All first party stuff (Besides Battletoads) is coming to the service day one.

So, Age of Empires 2:DE, Halo Infinite, Age of Empires 4, Minecraft:Dungeons, Wasteland 3, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, etc.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Loving Game Pass, I knew I'd get Gears 5 and Outer Wilds. Played Mutant Zero, Forza and Metro already. Made back my money on it already methinks

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
There was a really interesting chapter in... Brain something? Brain Games? I think it was Brain Games. In which they stated that our brains are more comfortable and relaxed when we had less options, for example, when you go into a new icecream shop and they have 50 flavours, and you cannot decide what to pick next. But when the icecream had less choices, let's say about 3 to 5, we were really relieved.

In this case is the same, I've paid 1 euro yesterday just to play Gears 5, but now I've find myself downloading the Blair Witch, Forza 4 and Dead Cells, and since then, I haven't played any of them.

I wish I just could kage bunshin.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
It seems like a great deal now, but once the trial price expires and they want you to pay $15 a month for Ultimate, it won't seem that way anymore. Enjoy it while you can.

It was a great deal before the trials. Will be a great deal after...especially once these studio acquisitions get rolling.

It's all relative. Compared to the intro price, the regular asking price isn't a great deal. Compared to paying for everything separately, it obviously is. All I'm saying there will undoubtedly be people who think it's overpriced once that initial offer expires.

I also think its most avid users will likely reach a saturation point where they've played everything in the "100+ games' that interests them and they end up counting on the new stuff hitting the service to give them their money's worth. So landing the big titles will be key for it going forward.

You also have to realize down the road, yes many people will be subbed to Game Pass, but they will likely also be subbed to other subscription services. I mean, we already have several - like Ubisoft's and EA's - and the choices could eventually be as overwhelming as the streaming TV and movie services now. And if those other services have some of the same games as Game Pass (which I think they inevitably will), that can also hurt Game Pass's perceived value.

So again, for now Game Pass seems great (and it is!), but I think it will seem less great as it gets more competition, the intro price expires for many users, and the library starts to stagnate a bit as people play most of what it has to offer, and games on it start to cross over with other subscription services - i.e. Assassin's Creed might appear on it, while also obviously being on Uplay+.

How do you play all the games that interest you when there is new shit added regularly? You got a time traveling Delorian?

Last edited:

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
Ruthless Uninstall is how I get past this. If there is a game I am not enjoying anymore, its gone.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
There's too much entertainment content competing for time these days. It's ridiculous.

Curious when these stuff will collapse.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Buying games for $50 is starting to feel like a really bad deal now that every new game could be just around the corner to arrive on gamepass.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Buying games for $50 is starting to feel like a really bad deal now that every new game could be just around the corner to arrive on gamepass.
I don't have Gamepass but aren't games withdrawn from Gamepass after a certain period? That would be something I would seriously dislike because I would like to build a catalogue and not have the pressure to play a game before it's deleted. That would be my only gripe with Gamepass.

Zip Stick

Oct 30, 2017
I don't have Gamepass but aren't games withdrawn from Gamepass after a certain period? That would be something I would seriously dislike because I would like to build a catalogue and not have the pressure to play a game before it's deleted. That would be my only gripe with Gamepass.

You can purchase the games on gamepass for a reduced price before they leave. Not sure how much of a discount they give you off the top of my head.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Ruthless Uninstall is how I get past this. If there is a game I am not enjoying anymore, its gone.
Same here. It's been incredibly liberating to be able to delete games left and right if they don't grab me in the first few hours.
I'm not smart enough to do that with games I buy at anywhere near full price, so game pass has done a lot to save me from my own stupidity.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After Outer Worlds, I think the next big game is Psychonaughts 2. Outer Worlds will take me months to beat, so it works out perfectly.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
dont start a new game if you haven't finished one you want to. or: buy it if you want to return to it later. will stop you from doing it every single time.

brains are going to have to adapt to the reality of having so many games at their disposal.

I never liked the idea of playing every big or even mid-tier game release. just like how i don't watch every movie that gets nominated for oscar season.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
There's plenty of time to sleep when you're dead. Seize the carp and game on!

...coming from the old fart who's in bed by 9:30 every night to be up at 5am for work.

paradox85

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Yeah, for real. I don't even work full time and I still struggle to find the time to play all the games that interest me. Now Bloodstained was added, and I haven't even started Dead Cells yet, or finished Gears 5. Maybe I should just sleep less or not at all lol.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
This is the reason why I haven't subscribed. I used to have gamepass but I just don't have the luxury to play all those games and such

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
I hear you buddy, gotta finish Gears 5 and i have Metro Exodus and Tacoma loaded and ready to go before Outer Worlds next month

Gotta step my game up to maximize the value!

Oct 26, 2017
The Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3, Ori 2 and Psychonauts 2 on GP is the real deal imho.

I will end up buying Wasteland 3 and Ori 2 regardless of Gamepass, but still.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

I've actually gone the other way. I *was* buying games digitally on deep sales, but I got into some sort of mad gamified thing where I was just amassing title after title and barely playing them.

Now, I'm buying a game, having it physically, playing it to completion, and then moving on to the next one. I don't overwhelm myself with games as the actual process of buying a game puts a bit of barrier in the way of impulse.

Yeah, it is more expensive, but I feel like I am actually getting greater value.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hah! Gamepass just turns out to be backlog 2.0
For me at least, I feel I have no desire to play a game I am not enjoying. Like if I would have bought Blair Witch I know I would have played through the whole thing because I invested in it. Instead I just uninstalled it after an hour and moved on to something else.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017

Buying games for full price has been feeling more and more like a bad deal this whole gem due to sales and the fact that publishers have been quick to lower prices. Game Pass just kicked it up another notch.

ILPRT

Apr 5, 2019
I'm sitting in front of my TV with no idea what game to tackle next, do I finally load up Dead Cells, do I carry on with Gears, Bloodstained is going to be out tommorow, i need to remember to download THAT game now? Oh for god sake now Outer Worlds is coming out next month?

Being an adult with responsiblities and Game Pass is a grueling trial of self restraint, im beginning to dread every Game Pass announcement because its on the verge of ruining my life.

source.gif

Okay im being obviously hyperbolic, but the fact i might not be buying another game until my subscription runs out in 2020 (apart from Links Awakening on Switch) is pretty darn amazing. Let me BREATHE.
Lol. Game Pass definitely adds new meaning to backlog!

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
50 games in a couple months? You've just described the gamer who needs Game Pass. They bring in about 8-10 games a month.

No one's going to like or even try everything on the service, and a lot of the games people only have a passing interest in they'll play for like 20 minutes and never touch again. Point being once they get through the games they like, they'll just be waiting around for new stuff to be added, thus the huge library they're paying for access to kinda becomes moot since they're now essentially just paying for access to 8-10 games a month, which they may or may not like. And if they pay for other subscription services in addition to Game Pass, some of the games being added may be redundant, diminishing the perceived value of GP even further.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
No one's going to like or even try everything on the service, and a lot of the games people only have a passing interest in they'll play for like 20 minutes and never touch again. Point being once they get through the games they like, they'll just be waiting around for new stuff to be added, thus the huge library they're paying for access to kinda becomes moot since they're now essentially just paying for access to 8-10 games a month, which they may or may not like. And if they pay for other subscription services in addition to Game Pass, some of the games being added may be redundant, diminishing the perceived value of GP even further.

You're trying...so...hard. Admire the effort.

On one hand, the service doesn't interest you because your games can last you 3 to 4 months. However you could see people easily firing through the 50 of 200 games that might be worth a shot plus another 10 a month that will enter the service.

If the average consumer finds a game a month, they've got their money's worth. It's the price of a movie ticket.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great service. Unfortunately that dread is why I don't have a sub like that. As an adult with responsibilities, I can't get away from that feeling that "oh man I have so many games to play when I'm done with important stuff" and then I end up playing instead of doing responsibilities. It sucks. Great service, wish I was a kid again

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
You're trying...so...hard. Admire the effort.

On one hand, the service doesn't interest you because your games can last you 3 to 4 months. However you could see people easily firing through the 50 of 200 games that might be worth a shot plus another 10 a month that will enter the service.

If the average consumer finds a game a month, they've got their money's worth. It's the price of a movie ticket.

I'm just replying to people replying to me, many of whom seem strangely defensive. The perceived value of GP compared to what it is now will inevitably diminish over time. Whether it be due to the price increasing, more competition, or whatever, it's gonna happen. I'm also saying if you find it hard to keep up with now, wait until every platform holder and major publisher has subscription services of their own.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I rarely finish stuff any way and I'll buy multiple games at the same time. This isn't any different for me than life before game pass.

It is saving me money though so huzzah for that.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017

Imagine being this delusional...

ronabs

Mar 15, 2018
I have a huge backlog and finished only 7 Game Pass titles this year, with another 22 already installed just waiting to be played (on console and PC). My only wish is that they don't leave the service before I find the time to play them, cause I know new games will be included and some of them will jump to the top of the "play now" list, like The Outer Worlds.