• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
One could say this was the shortest amount of time that has passed since a person was selected to host an awards show and then rejected.

I almost had a miniature heart attack when I saw the thread title.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
2010 wasn't THAT long ago. It wasn't some completely different era where gays were still a new thing and ridiculed by all.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
If you cant see the optics on this then there is no point, the article that he wrote even mentions a response from Kevin at the time in 2010/11 where he blows it over .. but he did not mention the 2015 one that shows his changed his mind on those types of jokes. Journalist has a serious agenda against Kevin and its showing . That is what im pointing out, regardless of how his comment points him its still a valid response that any journalist worth their salt should include.
He hasnt changed his mind on the "jokes", he's changed his mind about telling them bc people are too sensitive now. Big difference and paints him in a worse light actually!

But yes should have included the 2015 non apology as well.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
What's he said since then? I'm willing to accept a change of heart as genuine if it happens before the person gets busted.
Man, he dug himself deep, though... yikes.

Do people appreciate someone who held negative views and then had a change of heart more than they appreciate someone who never held those negative views in the first place?

I'm doubtful that Kevin Hart's views have changed substantially since 2010. He has been in show business for a lot longer than 8 years. He's interacted with plenty of people who are gay. And if he still went home praying to god that his son isn't gay in 2010, then he's not going to change.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
That's completely fair. But at the same time there's still the possibility that someone grows up in a homophobic environment, and then they continue to be homophobic well into adulthood and never really change.

The vibe I'm getting from people going to bat for Hart in this thread is from people who were former homophobes in their childhood/adolescence, who just asssume Hart changed his mind despite no evidence to support it, because they don't want to feel like they're bad people themselves.

That also happens I agree. Fortunately for me it was not about hating or rejecting people, but just a terribly bad habit I grew up with. Of course nowadays my views are different and I learned to respect and appreciate people for who they are. I hope we can all move on from those habits with honesty understanding what we did wrong and what we can do to better our selves.

It's funny cause i think this is a big big and untold problem in our society. There is a difference between people not being homophobic, or intolerant in general, and people, like Hart here, being just smart enough to realize it's not cool anymore to say things like that.

That movie with Will Ferell was so damn homophobic. I saw interviews about it and they were like "yeah we can't laugh about anything anymore nowadays come onnn". The whole movie is built on gay sex being the worst thing that can happen to a man.

Also the whole "things are changing real fast" is hilarious. "Damn last time i checked it was cool to touch women's butt to have a fun but there was that me too thing since then! It's getting real hard to keep up with that changing world to not be a terrible person!"

The I respect but I don't agree is very common unfortunately. I mean there is nothing to agree, but yet some people feel like they need to validate those who are "different".

Oct 26, 2017
People who subscribe to glossing over this because this happened in the past are missing the point.

We can quantify his hate at some juncture in his life. That it happened or was said 1, 2 , 10, 30 years ago is irrelevant. What we can't quantify is whether he harbors remorse or continued hate for members of our community since those comments were made

That's all. He should touch on this.

Lastly, that he was outed by another shithead like Benjamin Lee is also irrelevant. Ben's own shitty tweets are unrelated to this topic.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No you'll see the pivot will happen any day now.

Oh I expect it. He'll say he was wrong, apologize for his statements, and still find a way to blame "outrage culture" at the same time because he won't actually believe he was wrong to say what he said.

And it will be swept under a rug because his audience doesn't care and may even feel similarly.

Oct 29, 2017
That also happens I agree. Fortunately for me it was not about hating or rejecting people, but just a terribly bad habit I grew up with. Of course nowadays my views are different and I learned to respect and appreciate people for who they are. I hope we can all move on from those habits with honesty understanding what we did wrong and what we can do to better our selves.

I'm perfectly fine with people saying "I used to be a homophobe but I saw the error in my ways". I don't know there's much use in judging people for mistaken beliefs they had in the past if they have since renounced them. Thing is, Hart hasn't really renounced anything despite being able to do so literally any second. Just takes picking up a phone and tweeting out an apology. But he hasn't done that. The hateful tweets are still up, and the last time he said anything was only 3 years ago when he only said audiences are too sensitive for that joke.

I totally get forgiveness if he's changes his ways, but there's no evidence that he says. He just simply has stopped making the jokes in his stand-ups.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I always thought his comedy was Dan Cook levels of bad. Do people not want him to host the Oscars or something?
I thought all of these jokes were widely known.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you guys take your pick axe and go after every comedian that made homophobic jokes in the last 10 years pretty much 90% of them would be without jobs. It was more acceptable then. People viewed it much differently then. We've come a long way since then and peoples views have changed. Education has been key on this type of thing.

And those comedians should apologize publicly for the abhorrent shit they joked about back then, as should Hart. Every comedian should be exposed for this nonsense until they openly repent from their behavior. We don't condone it just because of 'different times'. That's fucking bullshit.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And those comedians should apologize publicly for the abhorrent shit they joked about back then, as should Hart. Every comedian should be exposed for this nonsense until they openly repent from their behavior. We don't condone it just because of 'different times'. That's fucking bullshit.

So growing up you never used gay to insult a buddy or friend? I seriously question how many people soapbox for shit when they did the same exact shit growing up. It blows my mind how we react to things like this now.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
It seems like every few months everyone collectively remembers that a lot of the people Hollywood's spent years promoting in family friendly roles actually started their careers saying obscene, offensive shit.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
So growing up you never used gay to insult a buddy or friend? I seriously question how many people soapbox for shit when they did the same exact shit growing up. It blows my mind how we react to things like this now.

Kevin Hart was 31+ with children in that comedy special, how exactly was he "growing up?"

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think this would be very productive. I mean do you want to parade them through the streets ringing a bell yelling shame? Everyone acknowledges it's unacceptable, but it's ridiculous to act like that wasn't the case 8-10 years ago.

Oct 26, 2017

You're derailing the conversation away from Hart to question someone else's past actions and subsequent accountability while making false equivalencies. Whether playco or everyone else here said stupid hateful shit in the past is absolutely irrelevant and doesn't make Hart's words less hateful or wrong. We all should take accountability for what we say and what playco May or may not have done has no bearing on Hart's accountability.

When you're called into the boss' office or reprimand a kid, do you think "well so and so did it too" flies?

How old are you?

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about people on here acting like they've never said anything like this before or anything offensive.

I'll chalk it up to him trying be funny, like every other comedian around this time.

But Kevin Hart is a grown ass man, and like many have said 2010 was only 8 years ago, it's not that hard to believe at the time that homophobia is wrong.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I don't think this would be very productive. I mean do you want to parade them through the streets ringing a bell yelling shame? Everyone acknowledges it's unacceptable, but it's ridiculous to act like that wasn't the case 8-10 years ago.
Everyone accept the comedians apparently.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
As a gay man, when I look at old comedy clips ( go look at Eddie Murphy's stuff as example ), rather than get mad I choose to celebrate that I've lived to see the times change. Not that it's perfect or that some of it is fake pc, but the times really have changed, gay as a punchline isn't just offensive to gay ppl, it just dosent fly with the public anymore. Give Hart the benefit of the doubt, and move forward.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
of course, it's a classic take-down tactic. Peeps are VERY mad a black man is hosting, so much so they'll act like they care about gay peeps as means to an end. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is a bad take to begin with but even worse when you realize the writer is an openly gay man. Oops.

Oct 28, 2017
Timing is suspect as fuck on this.
I am not without my bias on this so I probably should shut up on this.

But I don't like it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
As a gay man, when I look at old comedy clips ( go look at Eddie Murphy's stuff as example ), rather than get mad I choose to celebrate that I've lived to see the times change. Not that it's perfect or that some of it is fake pc, but the times really have changed, gay as a punchline isn't just offensive to gay ppl, it just dosent fly with the public anymore. Give Hart the benefit of the doubt, and move forward.
I'm bi and thinking

A) This joke was just that gay is a punchline and not that Hart is a shitty homophobic dad to his own son is weird

B) giving the benefit of the doubt to people who have been asked about it after the fact and have never changed is weird

C) Comparing the 80's to 2010, 11 and 15 is weird

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
As a gay man.. No

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Dismissing homophobia over multiple posts; Junior phase account
This is a bad take to begin with but even worse when you realize the writer is an openly gay man. Oops.

white, too. Oops.

i don't even like Kevin Hart or think he's funny, but these jokes are more terrible and an example of his environment more than straight up "homophobic" in a general sense.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
white, too. Oops.

i don't even like Kevin Hart or think he's funny, but these jokes are more terrible and an example of his environment more than straight up "homophobic" in a general sense.
They're fucking homophobic. Stop.

First you said a gay guy was usimg gay people as props, now you're saying the jokes aren't evem homophobic. Just stop.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gay so I'm biased but these "jokes," who finds them funny? Outside of 13 year olds and maybe emotionally stunted adults?

Like I just don't see the humor.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's some messed up stuff, even for a comedy bit. I do think however that 8 years is enough time to change your mind/beliefs. I would have considered myself homophobic as well 8 years ago, thanks to my upbringing. Growing up in a sheltered religious environment can be a bitch. Since then, I've learned more about the LGBT community, befriended members of the LGBT community, and have learned that my homophobic upbringing was wrong and have changed my beliefs.

Of course there's about a 12 year age difference between us, so I don't know if my experiences should be applied to him. Just saying that if he released a statement saying that he's changed his beliefs, I'd be willing to believe him.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
TIL there's different dbz power levels to homophobia. There's homophobia, HOMOPHOBIA, and "homophobia". Apparently homophobia isn't shit until we go super sayian 4 homophobia.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to understand why seemingly everyone here was on James Gunn's side and didn't want him fired, and mostly everyone seems to want Hart fired? Both would be getting fired for old, offensive tweets posted years before they were hired for their current gig. Why does one get a pass and not the other?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm trying to understand why seemingly everyone here was on James Gunn's side and didn't want him fired, and mostly everyone seems to want Hart fired? Both would be getting fired for old, offensive tweets posted years before they were hired for their current gig. Why does one get a pass and not the other?
Well for one Gunn actually apologized. So there's that.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
Never seen this much plain homophobia apologists on here. What the hell is going on?
I think people are confusing growing up and realizing you were wrong in middle-highschool with a grown-ass man making homophobic statements 8 years ago. He wasn't a dumb kid when he made those statements, which even then they'd be highly offensive and would require a real apology and explanation, but was an adult Male.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
white, too. Oops.

Everyone is a product of their environment. That's not worth mentioning. I don't know what the bolded bit was supposed to mean.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
And this is like "over 9000" homophobia.
Yeah that's the weirdest thing. I agree with some that homophobia is actually the wrong term for this! It's just because homophobia may be stuff similar to subconscious diet racism where as this is full blown racist watch dog barking in all caps.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's some messed up stuff, even for a comedy bit. I do think however that 8 years is enough time to change your mind/beliefs. I would have considered myself homophobic as well 8 years ago, thanks to my upbringing. Growing up in a sheltered religious environment can be a bitch. Since then, I've learned more about the LGBT community, befriended members of the LGBT community, and have learned that my homophobic upbringing was wrong and have changed my beliefs.

Of course there's about a 12 year age difference between us, so I don't know if my experiences should be applied to him. Just saying that if he released a statement saying that he's changed his beliefs, I'd be willing to believe him.

Except in 2015 he essentially says that he wouldn't joke about such things again ONLY because he would get called out for it. Doesn't sound like he's regretful or learned any lessons. He just knows better than to do it now because it would hurt the public's view of him.

That was only three years ago.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really talking about Hart since I have no idea what he was going for, but since we're on the topic: 2010 feels recent, but this video was made in 2013 and I don't think it would be made today:

At the time, a classmate of mine who was gay called out the video for being homophobic, and I didn't get the issue then, but I do now. It's kinda mind-blowing how quickly attitudes have changed on this (and other subjects, like sexual harassment). Gayness being a joke was crowd-pleasing comedy for decades up until a few years ago.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017

Gunn's white? I guess.

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think people are confusing growing up and realizing you were wrong in middle-highschool with a grown-ass man making homophobic statements 8 years ago. He wasn't a dumb kid when he made those statements, which even then they'd be highly offensive and would require a real apology and explanation, but was an adult Male.
Pfff! Try well into College. Homophobia was very acceptable in many places 10 years ago, Regardless of age even on school we were taught to Tolerate homosexuality but not really to accept it.
That was only three years ago.
I mean it was barely 2015 that same sex marriage became legal and that was the turning point for a lot of people. Speaking from personal experience that was the point where my dad went from believing homosexuality was a cry for attention to scolding an employee who did not want to work on a gay couple's wedding.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Timing is suspect as fuck on this.
I am not without my bias on this so I probably should shut up on this.

But I don't like it.

Yep. I imagine this is alt-right trolling because he was going to host the oscars, but yeah... There are receipts. Surely people know by now to address shit. Most comedians I grew up with made jokes about homosexuals, same as blacks, same as asians, same as mexicans., same as jews, etc. But, you've got to at least speak on it if you're going to be in the spotlight like this. Anyone who is hiring him, knows this.

This is the world we are in now. Eddie murphy wouldn't be where hes at in todays world of internet, thats for sure. A lot of cats wouldn't.

The transition from raunchy/racial humor/sexist humor to family friendly isn't going to fly anymore.

I mean can anyone imagine Bob Sagget today?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Keep in mind I'm not homophobic..."

But gays... ugh, amirite? What the fuck is this guy saying, jeez.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Which is one reason why people shouldn't give a shit if the "timing" is "suspect". Any celebrity with these endeavours should audit themselves or else expect someone else to eventually do it for them.

Yep. Its like the Clinton emails. I mean, yeah it was hacked, but yeah you were up to shit. I wonder if there are companies that scrub your internet footprint. Would make a mint.