• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you 100% I never made shitty videos with KKK imagery or any other hateful imagery at the age of 16 because a 16 year old is old enough to know that shit isn't cool.
They are but I feel like its being a bit undersold how absolutely edgy a lot of people can be when they're at that age. Especially with something like the internet being prevalent. Its not about excusing the behavior because it's still obviously terrible. Its just not that uncommon. I think if this was the only racist shit he's done and he owned up to it and apologized, it would be better. People can grow and change. However, this in conjunction with the fact that he pretends like this never happened while also doing stuff like apparently having an old reddit account that said some pretty awful things + weird ass tweets about rap music leads me to believe that he wasn't just "edgy" at one point and that he continues to hold bad beliefs but just isn't forthcoming about it publicly anymore

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
On June 30, 2021, Dream announced that he had donated $140,000 ($90,000 from fan contributions and $50,000 from the Dream Team) to The Trevor Project, an LGBT youth charity.[36] Prior to that, Dream had been criticized for announcing that all revenue generated by his streams in June would go to the charity, while then not streaming for more than a single day that month

Wow.

ehhsobee

Banned
Nov 11, 2019
United Kingdom
I agree with you on this. I don't follow Dream at all, but unless he's still posting KKK shit now, I don't see why he needs to get skewered for shit he did when he was 16. There are many people out there (myself included) that did or said dumb harmful or racist shit when they were a teenager.

But in this specific scenario, I think the beef is more that he denies that he ever did such a thing back then, rather than just apologizing for his edgy teenage phase.

Exactly. Being a teenager at a time when the Internet was in it's puberty and sites like YouTube were flowering was fucking weird. You were exposed to a lot of edgy humor by people who were going through the same stuff you were. There were videos and images that I made when I was 15/16 using homophobic language and imagery that I shared with my friends. I'm certainly not proud of it, but I'm not really ashamed of it either. I'm 10 years older now and have been in a gay relationship for over 4 years. I was still a child when I made that stuff.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
KR93TA2.gif

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hm sounds like they have maybe changed/matured since they were a 16 year old kid.

Oh, that was due to the events of this week where he said Doxxing is fine.

On April 11, 2022, Dream received criticism after a user he replied to on Twitter had to private their Twitter account after being harassed and doxed by fans of Dream. In response, Dream doubled down, saying that it is "satisfying" to see users private their accounts after calling them out. Many Twitter users believed Dream's actions to be irresponsible and dangerous because of his massive loyal fanbase. In an April 13 livestream, Dream appeared to downplay the severity of doxing, saying "If you are a person on Twitter and you have seven followers and you get doxxed on Twitter, the odds of you having something happen to you, in your life, are so astronomically small that it's not even worth worrying about". Following the livestream, Dream released a statement on his second Twitter account, saying that his comments in the livestream were poorly worded. Dream also gave his stance on doxing, saying that people who harass or dox are not a part of his community and that he does not like them.

So its probably a form of damage control to say after "Let's all love!"

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Man, he's shown an incredible ability to brush off controversy thanks to his rabid (and unfortunately young and impressionable) fanbase. So.. iono. This seems to be the worst thing, but also probably isn't actually the worst thing. But I think it's worthwhile to actually try to get him to apologize, because every other incident, he's gotten away with denying it, covering it up - and then ultimately just doubling down on it all. I'd like to see that stop.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
earlly 2000s/10s video Id be ok I get it, times were wild.
But this is from 2020? Thats very bad.

Unless its an age thing? Id assume teens these days are still edgy but not 420 memeing with KKK imagery edgy.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
At 16 it's probably just edge, lord shit. (Not an excuse)
Or maybe it's more.
Either way, an apology is better than hiding.

I thought Dream was good at faking, so it shouldn't be hard to apologize.

Yeah. The alt-right pipeline is real, especially for gamers. If he owns it, makes a "how I left the alt-right" video, non-zealots will understand.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Pretty funny to see everyone acting like they were so innocent at 16. Dream sucks for a variety of reasons, but vilifying him based on something he did when he was a kid is not fair.
Meh. It should be super easy to come out, apologize, and distance yourself from your past actions if they no longer reflect who you are as a person.

Hard to give someone the benefit of the doubt if they can't even do that

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I mean I was an "edgy teen" too, but I'd never... I just don't get it, I guess. (Ooh! I said whites so let's put KKK in the video hurf hurf).

I think it was shitty/mostly stupid, but I personally don't think I'd hold it against them as a person nowadays.

Also Totalbiscuit, who was also a Gamergate stooge.
TB seemed kinda OK otherwise, but him going "Actually, it IS about ethics in journalism, minus a couple of bad apples" during the height of GG was astonishingly dumb and unforced. Dying as young as he did helped minimize the impact that had on his legacy for a lot of folks, but it's hard to forgive and forget just how much he legitimized their efforts.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
TB seemed kinda OK otherwise, but him going "Actually, it IS about ethics in journalism, minus a couple of bad apples" during the height of GG was astonishingly dumb and unforced. Dying as young as he did helped minimize the impact that had on his legacy for a lot of folks, but it's hard to forgive and forget just how much he legitimized their efforts.
He went further than that, such as saying that death threats against Anita Sarkeesian shouldn't be taken seriously because she's still alive. He was also prone to changing his story for some convenient purpose; the reason he even started openly calling himself a Gamergater is because people were pointing out that there had been a legitimate ethics controversy wherein influencers were given contracts to advertise Shadows of Mordor that insisted that they do not acknowledge that they were advertising the game, which Gamergate ignored completely in favour of a deliberately manufactured controversy over the tutorial using the kill button to kiss. At the time, he was insisting that he was neutral, but he started claiming that he was Gamergate and broke that story so that Gamergate would retroactively been given a win.

One of the most absurd things with Totalbiscuit was that he'd flipflop between calling himself a journalist when he wanted the credibility but saying that he's just an entertainer when he was asked to be held to some sort of ethical standard. When called on it, he claimed that he was tired of being told what he was and declared himself to be an octopus, changing his Twitter handle to "Totalbisquid".

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. Being a teenager at a time when the Internet was in it's puberty and sites like YouTube were flowering was fucking weird. You were exposed to a lot of edgy humor by people who were going through the same stuff you were. There were videos and images that I made when I was 15/16 using homophobic language and imagery that I shared with my friends. I'm certainly not proud of it, but I'm not really ashamed of it either. I'm 10 years older now and have been in a gay relationship for over 4 years. I was still a child when I made that stuff.
The issue is that he's still a POS.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know much about Dream, but this is critical. I'd like to believe people can change, but the thing is that they actually need to care enough that they put in some effort to change; you can't give someone the benefit of the doubt when there is no doubt, and the reality is being displayed clearly.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's a really really basic understanding of power that most popular streamers fail to understand and it's the fact that one mean tweet against them does not hold nearly the same degree of power that they can cause by exposing them and unleashing their masses of fans against that person. Decent influences will do things like block out the username and avatar, even if the Tweet in question is the most toxic shit imaginable, but selfish shitheads like Dream use their influence like a weapon and even take pride in it.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The VGA content creator award curse is absolutely real. Holy shit.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Not much will come of this he will sweep it under a rug telling us he's changed and yada yada yada
Not like there's multiple instances showing us this guy's character is questionable or anything

Need to remember his audience is horribly toxic to the point people don't even bother going against him

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
Always count on the winners of the VGA content creator award to pinpoint who will be the next shitter in the coming months.

Apologizing, an act that can be in a few seconds, is the hardest thing for these people.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Pretty funny to see everyone acting like they were so innocent at 16. Dream sucks for a variety of reasons, but vilifying him based on something he did when he was a kid is not fair.
Is he still an edgy 16 year old with no platform, or a well known streamer adult with a large platform for influencing a large audience? Because as far as I'm concerned, the thread isn't about a 16 year old being edgy, it's about a massive streamer who will not acknowledge the issue of their own history to say whether or not they endorse those views. The fuckup isn't being a dumb kid, it's being a dumb adult. If you're called out on your history and do nothing to counteract it, it's all good as endorsing it.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Their list of winners over the years is...something else:

2014: TotalBiscuit
2015: Greg Miller
2016: Boogie
2017: Dr Disrespect
2018: Ninja
2019: Shroud
2020: Valkyrae

Not everyone is a jerk on that list, but they kind of have a type more often than not!

God, I hope Shroud remains the exception to the rule.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He went further than that, such as saying that death threats against Anita Sarkeesian shouldn't be taken seriously because she's still alive. He was also prone to changing his story for some convenient purpose; the reason he even started openly calling himself a Gamergater is because people were pointing out that there had been a legitimate ethics controversy wherein influencers were given contracts to advertise Shadows of Mordor that insisted that they do not acknowledge that they were advertising the game, which Gamergate ignored completely in favour of a deliberately manufactured controversy over the tutorial using the kill button to kiss. At the time, he was insisting that he was neutral, but he started claiming that he was Gamergate and broke that story so that Gamergate would retroactively been given a win.

One of the most absurd things with Totalbiscuit was that he'd flipflop between calling himself a journalist when he wanted the credibility but saying that he's just an entertainer when he was asked to be held to some sort of ethical standard. When called on it, he claimed that he was tired of being told what he was and declared himself to be an octopus, changing his Twitter handle to "Totalbisquid".

Yep, he also liked to sic his followers on people and decided to drum up some shit against Anita Sarkeesian, I guess because he decided she hadn't been harassed enough over the previous 4 years. This was less than a year before his death. He didn't end up apologizing for a single thing. He was a huge piece of shit, and it's a shame people don't seem to remember that.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
This is the same idiot that thinks being doxxed on twitter is not a big deal because it most likely wont happen anything bad.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Dream isn't getting cancelled, the majority of his viewers consists of similarly immature people and he knows it. That being said, that video just went on and on with the reference. Like how can you be so insensitive

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Outside of that hilarious makeup product advertisement with the fake science; Valkyrie seems fine.

Greg Miller seems fine outside of being too kind toward those with really bad opinions.

Shroud also seems fine. He plays his games, plays them very well, and that's about it.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dream has consistently used his platform and influence to shut out criticism and sicc his millions of followers to critics of his behaviour. Denying this KKK video existed was one thing but there was that cheated Minecraft speedrun which I believe he denied cheating in for over a year. His followers also backed him up by attacking folks who argued otherwise right until he came clean.

And then there's this:

This guy is effectively siccing his millions of followers to teenagers with triple digit followers over criticism.

What a truly irresponsible use of all that influence. I thought that Dream SMP community was supposed to be a safe space for these young viewers.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between not being innocent and not being racist.
Honestly, there probably isn't. Things like political lines or the distribution of ethnic groups in the modern world are the direct products of racism. It's incredibly naive to see that racism is ubiquitous and then claim that we ourselves are somehow magically immune to absorbing it from that environment as it's forming who we are. Rather, it's something that we all gradually have to recognize in our own lives and work on.

But, again, that mandates that you actually work on it. Being non-racist isn't free. Racists aren't mythical creatures that we all know exist but have never seen, they're our neighbours, they're our family, and they're us. When you recognize that, you either have to try to fix it or you're complacent with it.

Last edited:

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Did they find the video on an old tape hidden in the wall of the basement?

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
I'm won't vilify Dream for what he did at 16. Kids make mistakes, some worse than others.
I'm vilifying him for the shit he pulled the past few days of sending his stans after a fucking teenager.
Dream is a piece of shit and a garbage human being.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Dream could have came out, owned up to it, we could have a conversation about this entire thing and people would have moved on. But no.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I honestly feel terrible for well meaning parents because a heavy majority of streamers seem to be openly fascist or fascist-adjacent at this point/

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm really not just trying to defend Dream, but suggesting that he didn't stream during June as some sort of statement against LGBTQ-identifying individuals seems like a huge leap. As far as I'm aware, he doesn't stream very often. Couldn't we focus on the $50,000 he donated and the $90,000 he sourced from fans?
That's certainly one way to twist what happened, sure.

He only streamed at the very end of June (take note of the 30th date, the last possible day he could've done anything; already July in some timezones) because people were giving him shit on Twitter for not streaming the entire month after making that promise. It's fairly apparent to me that he would've been content with riding it out and not doing anything if nobody pointed it out.

It's nice that he ended up doing something in the end but i'm not going to focus on that when the (lack of) actions leading up to it read very poorly for him. Considering his history of lying and cheating in the Minecraft speedrunning community is why I even know he exists in the first place (or any of the other shitty actions he's been called out for), I don't see why I should extend the benefit of the doubt to him.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's The Game Awards' Content Creator of the Year Dream to you.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It's always interesting how a certain group of people believe with complete certainty that everyone was posting racist and abusive things on the internet as teenagers as if it's completely normal.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Can we have someone who was racist at 16 the age of 16 comment on this? We need to know if one can change.

Thanks.