• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tell me with minimal spoilers when is a good time to do side quests and go after achievements etc or should I just play the game and do what I like?
You should just do what you like for your first playthrough. The game has a LOT of side & hidden content, everything from completely optional areas & bosses to very well hidden areas, items, hidden story scenes, events, etc. There's also content only available if you're on one pathway or another, so it's not even possible to experience everything in a single playthrough (there's two pathways through the game that diverge from each other in some big ways). Then on top of that, there's random events that only have a percentage chance of happening on your playthrough or not.

I advise just not worrying about it. If you want to find hidden stuff, just explore everywhere, because there's literally side & optional stuff everywhere. Some of it obvious, some of it not. Just play how you want to play.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
You should just do what you like for your first playthrough. The game has a LOT of side & hidden content, everything from completely optional areas & bosses to very well hidden areas, items, hidden story scenes, events, etc. There's also content only available if you're on one pathway or another, so it's not even possible to experience everything in a single playthrough (there's two pathways through the game that diverge from each other in some big ways). Then on top of that, there's random events that only have a percentage chance of happening on your playthrough or not.

I advise just not worrying about it. If you want to find hidden stuff, just explore everywhere, because there's literally side & optional stuff everywhere. Some of it obvious, some of it not. Just play how you want to play.
Thanks for this, yeah it does seem to have so much going on and not in a clear, linear way. I'll just continue enjoying it the way I have been!

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'm in Sweetheart's Castle how much do I have left to go. I presume a lot because I still have 3 days left

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
ugh im so annoyed lol. I got guilt tripped into releasing the bears in the castle courtyard and im fucking stuck and can't survive all this but I haven't saved in a while i swear to gawd

good god it set me back so far man it makes me not want to continue lol

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
and on that note if I wanted to look up a playthrough how would I know what my "path" would have been?

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
"Three Days Left" chapter came up really early. Does this mean I have to replay 2/3 of the game just to see the other route? Shouldn't be too bad since a 2nd playthrough would be quicker, but it's still a fairly long game.

It's much much faster with cutscene / text skipping.

Sorry for the dbl post.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Oh lordy was not expecting that figure in the mirror in Sunnys house at night on day 2

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Good time to reiterate my favorite optional scares for those playing for the first time

You can wake Sunny up at inopportune times during the dream world gameplay by backtracking to Whitespace and stabbing yourself. You'll switch to Sunny, but it'll be the middle of the night

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Finished the watching of the remainder of the game. It really comes together in that last 3 hours or so.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Finished the game a few days ago and cannot get it out of my head. What an experience.

The big twist had me sitting in stunned silence for like 5 minutes, I can't remember the last time a game shook me like that

smokey5604

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Finished the game a few days ago and cannot get it out of my head. What an experience.

The big twist had me sitting in stunned silence for like 5 minutes, I can't remember the last time a game shook me like that
It truly is a great experience beginning to end. Hard to find more modern games that engage the same way. Really hope Omocat continues game dev in some capacity.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I also finished it recently.
The sequence of piecing together the black and white photos of what really happened, as well as the 'boss fight' against the various 'somethings' culminating in Sunny finding Mari at the tree (despite what we learn later) will stick with me for a long time.

I had clocked the eye figure that appeared throughout the game as a warped version of Mari's face surrounded by long hair, and boy was I right on the money with that. Chilling.

I've had a death like this happen in my extended family (I wasn't directly involved thankfully) and so the scenario of coming across a family member who has killed themselves is something that has kept me up at night before. This game truly captured that feeling of dread and sadness.
Ending aside, the way this game merges two very different kinds of experiences - the Earthbound-style wacky, funny and just plain weird JRPG with the more modern, copy-pasta vibes of a meta-horror game - is pretty phenomenal.

It pulls everything off equally well and no one section feels cheapened by the other.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I think every component of OMORI comes together pretty well. but I do tend to agree that the Dream World ends up feeling a bit like the weakest part if only because the story is the weakest in these sections, I still love it, and especially as that area is FULL of secrets, hidden subtext that's fun to analyze with everything else in the game, banger music, etc.

But I also think what sets OMORI to be a "Masterpiece" in my mind is the climax and ending. The whole journey is good, but yeah, the last three hours in particular I think are phenomenal. They've stuck with me now a year and a half ever since I played it.

Not huge spoilers, but I'll still spoiler tag it.

I guess what I can say is I am a person who definitely does not cry uneasily (I cry at movies more than probably the average person), but video games for whatever reason hardly have ever made me cry. OMORI not only made me cry during a small handful of moments during its course, fucking even a year and a half later, a specific moment when I remember it, and if I decide to play the fucking song that plays in that moment, still fucking makes me cry, so that stuck with me.

Last edited:

smokey5604

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
I guess what I can say is I am a person who definitely does not cry uneasily (I cry at movies more than probably the average person), but video games for whatever reason hardly have ever made me cry. OMORI not only made me cry during a small handful of moments during its course, fucking even a year and a half later, a specific moment when I remember it, and if I decide to play the fucking song that plays in that moment, still fucking makes me cry, so that stuck with me.
We are kindred in the regard for sure.
Anytime I think of Mutantheart and destroying her I get really sad. She's so innocent and I am a monster for destroying her...

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
So I got my first ending from what turns out to be the alternate route. I was so lost as to what was going on.

Reload my save and chose the main route, and immediately found out that so much of the story was missing, including the tragedy that was the center plot point of the game.

So yeah, don't do what I did. When given the choice:
Open that damn door!

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Jfc I just finished the game. Got the good ending. I thought I knew what the story was about up until they revealed everything lol I'm a lil bit taken aback not gonna lie.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
the Mari theme ("By Your Side.") is stuck in my head. It's so fuzzy, but haunting. Really captures that sweet embrace of a dream you don't want to let go of.. 😢

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
It's super weird, but on PC game pass I had achievements pop for most boss fights and the ending, but nothing else despite having the badges unlocked within the game itself. Hopefully they patch that at some point.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
I ended up grabbing it on PSN finally and started today. I have a bit of trouble with the fonts since they're a bit small for my comfort level, but the UI is quite lovely and charming as is the music. Literally becoming toast is an adorable detail.

I'm just nervous about Basil's remarks on trying to think positive and warding evil spirits away when combined with his low self-esteem and tendency to try and erase himself. I felt pretty bad about how he clearly faltered when one of them mentions acting like he's not there, then the kids don't check for him during hide-and-seek.

I'm trying to keep track of as many details as I can, I have a feeling it'll pay off in the long run.

Wii Tank

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe the game still isn't available in Canada. At the very least the eShop has a page saying it'll release Thursday

FullWalter

Mar 13, 2018
If I can play this on Switch or PC, is there any reason aside from Game Pass that I should consider PC over the Swich? Runs ok on Switch?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My brain fog suddenly made me not want to play an RPG, so that bites.

I was having a mid time of it but I get pretty unmotivated when I'm like this. Plus I'm just aimlessly wandering, which is neat. It feels more like Mother 1 where you just get cut loose instead of guiding you.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How much left do I have if I Just started the Dream Sequence on two days left

Mar 9, 2018
I finally finished this game...yikes. I think I got one of the good endings. But yikes.

I have to give it up to the developers. Excellent storytelling. I think my only complaint is some of the dungeons felt a little too long.

But I agree. They are doing new/interesting things with this medium. Very compelling characterizations.

I noticed that I apparently missed going to
the Oasis area. I think I went to the train station several times and didn't understand how to board.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I finally finished this game...yikes. I think I got one of the good endings. But yikes.

I have to give it up to the developers. Excellent storytelling. I think my only complaint is some of the dungeons felt a little too long.

But I agree. They are doing new/interesting things with this medium. Very compelling characterizations.

I noticed that I apparently missed going to
the Oasis area. I think I went to the train station several times and didn't understand how to board.
OMORI is chock-full of optional stuff, and yeah, that area is 100% missable, and more than that, the area in itself has secret areas & bosses within it. Game has a surprising amount of completely optional areas & hidden content/scenes/secrets.

Why I sorta' suggest not to worry too much about it on your first playthrough, partly since I think the central narrative is probably the strongest part of the game and best to experience that on your first playthrough, but also the game is designed that you won't experience everything on your first playthrough anyway, so best to just not worry too much about it (and can go back secret hunting later if interested or doing the other route through the game or whatever).

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So for subsequent playthroughs do people just start over? Is there no New Game Plus?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So for subsequent playthroughs do people just start over? Is there no New Game Plus?
Not a proper New Game+, IE stats don't carry over, though can load previous save files if rotate them well to reach things, the game does recognize in some ways if you've beaten the game or not for specific things.