• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTurboFD

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Maybe don't describe such a horrible scene as "golden" while displaying your white privilege to not give a fuck all in one post? Saying that it's OK because it's just a character and they're making him out to be a terrible person doesn't change a damn thing when they are trying to get laughs from the audience.

How do you know the OP is white? Because I'm not white and I found Michaels idiocy funny. Should I be banned too for it? You're trying so hard to be offended and it's laughable.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome response. Gervais still unwatchable

Weird how little of his insufferable pessimistic cackling style seems to come through in the largely compassionate and fun US Office production

your post is so ridiculous it almost reads like a woke person parody and it doesn't really warrant a response but ok. At the time of the office did you know Ricky gervais was a pos? I don't think he was out as one yet.

And if you think the UK version isn't compassionate you obviously didn't watch it through the Xmas specials.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I skipped s1 US after watching a few episodes. This was perhaps three years after the show first aired though. Maybe it was OK for its time, but the first two episodes of s2 were definitely far better than the two s1 episodes I watched.

FenninRo

alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2019
Do you want people to get banned for liking Friends then? Is that where we're at?

I'm still pretty new here and not going to try to tell anyone what should or shouldn't be banned. That's not for me to decide.

I will say that I'm side-eyeing anyone who professes their love for that hateful garbage. We can either try to move forward as a culture and work to make things better for marginalized people or cling on to hurtful garbage from the past like so many idiots in the South do with their Confederate statues that they like to pretend are not blatant messages of hate towards black people.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I find OP's consistent spelling of Michael as Micheal more damaging than the correct observation Michael is offensive and indeed an asshole.

FenninRo

alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2019
It's clear you don't understand how the situation or situations in the show are framed or that type of dry humour. No one here or in general is defending Michael being a racist or oblivious that his shit is wrong, but that's the point. Characters in the show know Michael is an idiot or racist or whatever and we are laughing at him, not with him. The way you're framing your argument is shutting down discussion and looking at the situation in one way, which isn't healthy.

So anything goes in order to frame the character as a bad person in the show? Like I wrote earlier, no one would be cool with this shit if he were instead doing blackface. The only reason people feel cool with "laughing at him, not with him" in this situation is because you think racism against Asians really ain't all that bad.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
So anything goes in order to frame the character as a bad person in the show? Like I wrote earlier, no one would be cool with this shit if he were instead doing blackface. The only reason people feel cool with "laughing at him, not with him" in this situation is because you think racism against Asians really ain't all that bad.

Have you watched The Office? Michael has done a lot of questionable shit in regards to African Americans. It has nothing to do with Asians and thus making it acceptable. What the hell are you talking about. Racism isn't different or not as bad based on the ethnicity, racism is racism. Not everyone here is from America, it's not just black and white.

edit: you honestly sound like a troll.

Oct 27, 2017
From these inflammatory generalizations, I'm starting to get the feeling you've never even watched the show

FenninRo

alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2019
Have you watched The Office? Michael has done a lot of questionable shit in regards to African Americans. It has nothing to do with Asians and thus making it acceptable. What the hell are you talking about. Racism isn't different or not as bad based on the ethnicity, racism is racism. Not everyone here is from America, it's not just black and white.

Alright, fuck it. I'm not gonna stick around getting called a troll by someone propping up and handwaving racist nonsense. I'll go back to gaming topics.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019

A writer can try just about anything that makes it passed ratings/certification, but it's not guaranteed to work, so no, not anything goes. Not if you want to make a successful show and have an audience.

I already told you, a core theme of the whole damn show is seeing how terrible a boss Michael is, but because he's the boss the rest of the employees have to find ways to put up with or manage him (except the others tend to have their flaws and are fucked up too - a dysfunctional "family"). He's oblivious to the fact everyone has problems with him and his behaviour, which is the key comedic element that makes the whole damn show work as well as it does.

Therefore, many of the viewers wait in anticipation to see the worst things Michael gets up to, to laugh at him. No, that doesn't mean everyone who watches the Office then becomes racist and hateful. The average decent viewer knows in advance whatever he does is either morally or socially wrong, or both.

I mean, jesus fucking christ, it's one of the most-watched comedy sitcoms in the world and I don't hear about hate crimes inspired by The Office.

I swear some people around here would watch something like Deadwood and then phone the police because of bad language and scenes of an adult nature. It's almost as if context is king when it comes to writing/production.

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The irony of OP's ban is that The Dundies isn't even a season 1 episode.

There's the one episode that starts the IT guy who I believe is Sikh walking into the office and Michael freaking out thinking he's a terrorist. Plus all the stuff with Stanley and Daryl, and Michael inquiring about them growing up on the streets. The show long made a point of making fun of Michael's racism, at least in the first few seasons.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A writer can try just about anything that makes it passed ratings/certification, but it's not guaranteed to work, so no, not anything goes. Not if you want to make a successful show and have an audience.

I already told you, a core theme of the whole damn show is seeing how terrible a boss Michael is, but because he's the boss the rest of the employees have to find ways to put up with or manage him (except the others tend to have their flaws and are fucked up too - a dysfunctional "family"). He's oblivious to the fact everyone has problems with him and his behaviour, which is the key comedic element that makes the whole damn show work as well as it does.

Michael is consistently shown as an effective manager of the business which is often juxtaposed with the fact that he is a terrible manager of the people.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Michael is consistently shown as an effective manager of the business which is often juxtaposed with the fact that he is a terrible manager of the people.

Yes, a very life-like scenario for MANY people who've had 9-5 office jobs. A terrible boss at being a human being, but in the position they are due to the financials. In fact, that's nearly every god damn job. Finding nice bosses is tough :(

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
The more times I run through the office the more I realize how much I dislike Jim as an individual, Pam as an individual, and the two of them as a couple. I also think that a majority of the "NPCs" in the show (the couple at Benihana, Cider Sconesy, the guy who throws food at Michael during the Dundies, the daycare guy, etc) are all ridiculously rude.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
To be fair, they hit that too.
Apple-iPhone-Smartphone-Used-by-Mark-Proksch-Nate-Nickerson-in-The-Office-%E2%80%93-Season-9-Episode-9.jpg

I swear, the more and more I watch this show it feels like a parody of a real office!

Oct 25, 2017
The more times I run through the office the more I realize how much I dislike Jim as an individual, Pam as an individual, and the two of them as a couple. I also think that a majority of the "NPCs" in the show (the couple at Benihana, Cider Sconesy, the guy who throws food at Michael during the Dundies, the daycare guy, etc) are all ridiculously rude.
That's probably why the creators went on to make Parks and Rec. They must've been sick of it.

Oct 27, 2017
I think OP missed the mark on season 1 Michael being the most 'unfiltered'. Michael (and many other characters) achieve maximum ignorance in the ep where Oscar comes out.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I am a bit confused because I think there is a series about spies that has "office" in its title. First time I seriously read about this series because I didn't hear much about it before. So it is a comedy abot a company producing paper...And the boss Michael is racist?

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Sorry mate, you're not allowed to like that one here.
You're the WORST kind of person.

Just ban comedy from ResetEra. It's easier that way.

The British one? It's pretty good, but I'm a Brit who prefers the American Office.

Peep Show is still the king. Man, more folks in here need to watch it.

If you want to see terrible and dysfunctional people, you watch Peep Show.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think OP missed the mark on season 1 Michael being the most 'unfiltered'. Michael (and many other characters) achieve maximum ignorance in the ep where Oscar comes out.
The issue with the first season is that Michael played by Steve Carrell doesn't work as an unrelenting depressing person - like the uk office - hes so tonally mean and vicious and that works for another actor

In season 2 they change him to being clueless and not vicious and it works better with the cast, writing and Steve Carrell

Oct 27, 2017
I am a bit confused because I think there is a series about spies that has "office" in its title. First time I seriously read about this series because I didn't hear much about it before. So it is a comedy abot a company producing paper...And the boss Michael is racist?
It,s a show about four friends who live in an apartment together in NYC

Eat My Jorts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (permanent): racist trolling

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

This really shows a lack of media literacy and a fundamental misreading of the entire show.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Always Sunny in Philadelphia does blackface (and Asian and Hispanic) on multiple occasions but at no point is the joke anything other than "my god these people are terrible". The whole series is five people just being the absolute worst but still manages to be progressive in its overall message.

I think Michael Scott is portrayed kinda like that where you're supposed to think he's an awful human being and it's cringey as fuck.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I like Friends and also think Jim is a jerk , obviously there are worse people than him , but Jim is a jerk too, and instigated Pam on cheating on her fiancee (yeah yeah I know he was a douche and wrong for her , but its still cheating right?)

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
"oh no please don't ban the serial, contrarian shitposter troll whose historical purpose on this forum was to stir up maximum shit in sensitive threads, all they did was talk about the office!"

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I like Friends and also think Jim is a jerk , obviously there are worse people than him , but Jim is a jerk too, and instigated Pam on cheating on her fiancee (yeah yeah I know he was a douche and wrong for her , but its still cheating right?)
If I were Roy I'd be thankful. Would've never invested in gravel if he were still engaged to Pam.

Status
Not open for further replies.