OP
OP
Venture

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Mark is such a subtly brilliant comedian. He can have me rolling with just an expression or movement.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Tim Heidecker > Freddie Mercurys?

You tell me.

CcOaUFY.jpg

lol

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
I got a bit of music stuck in my head today, and upon concentrating on it realized it was the music playing during the trivia slides of this show. Sure heard a lot of it.

OP
OP
Venture

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Oscores.net is still not online. Gregg's probably busy trying to recover from Tim's latest attack on the VFA.

Ha, this was pretty good. If you're a fan of Mark you might want to check this out. This Toby Dean guy has a similar style.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
When will Tim finally be brought to justice? All of these crimes, he can't keep getting away with it.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Those trivia questions sent me down a rabbit hole learning about the weird cult Glenn Close was born into. I definitely learned something!

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
If you want the full OCOS experience, pause it every so often and play this for a while

WhoTurgled

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've still got oscar fever, even days out from the big show! Have they said anything about on cinema season 11?

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Damn, Oscores.net is still not online. Gregg's probably busy trying to recover from Tim's latest attack on the VFA.

Ha, this was pretty good. If you're a fan of Mark you might want to check this out. This Toby Dean guy has a similar style.

This was AMAZING, it gets better and better the further it goes. thanks for posting

OP
OP
Venture

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
If you want the full OCOS experience, pause it every so often and play this for a while

Nice find. A truly iconic piece of music.

I've still got oscar fever, even days out from the big show! Have they said anything about on cinema season 11?
Nothing yet. The last new episode was May of last year so I'd expect some news soon. So far they've never gone more than about 10 months between seasons. Not that there's any kind of set schedule or anything. On the other hand, It's been a year and a half since the last Decker. I really need my Decker fix.

There's a nice article on Vulture today. No new info but a great overview of the whole thing:
Navigating On Cinema's Giant, Underground Universe

I like this bit. Seems like the real heart of the show.
The running joke underlying the entire On Cinema franchise is that Tim and Gregg somehow still keep returning to work together after coming to blows week after week. Part of that, of course, is that there's no show without the both of them, but you also get the sense that On Cinema is the only place in the world that will accept them for who they are, no matter the personal cost.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017

There have gotta be more comedians doing stuff similar to On Cinema and this. Any suggestions?? I've watched this vid four times and seen every bit of On Cinema, a lot of that multiple times as well.

Maybe I'll just throw on Adult Swim Golf Classic in the meantime which is another fave in a somewhat similar vein

Side note: I completely forgot about how the guys from the Rat Pack Trap segment get into it with Tim and Axel but I completely understand why it happens because Tim goes a little far but it makes for some of the most awkward content ever

Also, who the fuck are the other members of Dekkar in real life? Has Tim ever talked about them in After Hours?

e: I was actually wrong about the Dean Martin guy, who is the guy Tim gets in a real argument with in one of the specials that seems like it's gonna be physical when he asks him to leave??

Last edited:
OP
OP
Venture

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
There have gotta be more comedians doing stuff similar to On Cinema and this. Any suggestions?? I've watched this vid four times and seen every bit of On Cinema, a lot of that multiple times as well.

Maybe I'll just throw on Adult Swim Golf Classic in the meantime which is another fave in a somewhat similar vein

Side note: I completely forgot about how the guys from the Rat Pack Trap segment get into it with Tim and Axel but I completely understand why it happens because Tim goes a little far but it makes for some of the most awkward content ever

Also, who the fuck are the other members of Dekkar in real life? Has Tim ever talked about them in After Hours?

e: I was actually wrong about the Dean Martin guy, who is the guy Tim gets in a real argument with in one of the specials that seems like it's gonna be physical when he asks him to leave??
You're probably thinking of James Dean. Tim really got confrontational with him at the end of one of the specials. That and the stuff with the Rat Pack guys are some of those moments that make you wonder how much the other people are in on the joke.

Most of the similar types of shows I can think of are from Adult Swim so people are probably already familiar with it. They did a short series called the Greatest Event In Television History that was really funny but doesn't seem to get talked about much. Look Around You is a fantastic show from the BBC you should check out if you haven't already. I think there are one or two episodes on Youtube at least.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's not the same since they're two different formats but in terms of tone, Soft Focus with Jena Friedman has a similar deadpan dark satire that On Cinema sometimes produces. Friedman's show is probably even darker since the interviews she scores seem genuine.

It's VERY hard to tell what's fake or real in her show lol

Here's a trailer that gives you a good idea of what the show is.

Some episodes here.

Last edited:

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
You're probably thinking of James Dean. Tim really got confrontational with him at the end of one of the specials. That and the stuff with the Rat Pack guys are some of those moments that make you wonder how much the other people are in on the joke.

Most of the similar types of shows I can think of are from Adult Swim so people are probably already familiar with it. They did a short series called the Greatest Event In Television History that was really funny but doesn't seem to get talked about much. Look Around You is a fantastic show from the BBC you should check out if you haven't already. I think there are one or two episodes on Youtube at least.

Ahhhh yes! James Dean was wild. I also wonder about how aware everyone is of what's happening at these things. I know Tim, Gregg and Mark (and production staff) are the most aware but the others (Joe Estevez, Axiom/Manuel, Dr. San, etc) seem to be on a second layer where they're told how Tim will be but in the guise of this being a legitimate outfit.

I really wish I could have a one-on-one with Tim and really pick his mind about how On Cinema works but I'm sure he's talked about it a lot on After Hours, that's just a lot of content to dig through and call-in shows tend to be boring most of the time imo.

I have a migraine tonight so I'm binging every special, currently on the second. The editing on the first special is piss poor but I was lucky to see the live unedited version before it was made private. They completely skip where Tim throws up on Gregg's tapes and a lot of other moments where they come back to the stream and Tim is yelling, or members of production laughing (like when Tim is giving his "acceptance" speech towards the end of the second special and thanks Harry Truman for being the first to drop nukes and he says "THANK YOUUUU for being so big part of this darnded - eat gumbo, eat the whole Academy Awards" in a thick southern drawl and you can hear someone scream laugh from a whole nother room), or when they break character which they don't edit out in the later specials. I love seeing Tim, Gregg or Mark break and laugh, I don't see how they don't do it even more often.

Anyway I'm obsessed with this show if ya can't tell and I love talking about it because I don't know anyone in real life that would enjoy this.

Edit: just got to Gregg's finale where he knocks over the tapes like dominoes but he spells it "OSCER", classic moment

OP
OP
Venture

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the same since they're two different formats but in terms of tone, Soft Focus with Jena Friedman has a similar deadpan dark satire that On Cinema sometimes produces. Friedman's show is probably even darker since the interviews she scores seem genuine.

I've seen those pop up before but didn't check them out until now, thanks. Reminds me of some of the best Daily Show segments. Jena Friedman is really good.

Ahhhh yes! James Dean was wild. I also wonder about how aware everyone is of what's happening at these things. I know Tim, Gregg and Mark (and production staff) are the most aware but the others (Joe Estevez, Axiom/Manuel, Dr. San, etc) seem to be on a second layer where they're told how Tim will be but in the guise of this being a legitimate outfit.

I really wish I could have a one-on-one with Tim and really pick his mind about how On Cinema works but I'm sure he's talked about it a lot on After Hours, that's just a lot of content to dig through and call-in shows tend to be boring most of the time imo.

I have a migraine tonight so I'm binging every special, currently on the second. The editing on the first special is piss poor but I was lucky to see the live unedited version before it was made private. They completely skip where Tim throws up on Gregg's tapes and a lot of other moments where they come back to the stream and Tim is yelling, or members of production laughing (like when Tim is giving his "acceptance" speech towards the end of the second special and thanks Harry Truman for being the first to drop nukes and he says "THANK YOUUUU for being so big part of this darnded - eat gumbo, eat the whole Academy Awards" in a thick southern drawl and you can hear someone scream laugh from a whole nother room), or when they break character which they don't edit out in the later specials. I love seeing Tim, Gregg or Mark break and laugh, I don't see how they don't do it even more often.

Anyway I'm obsessed with this show if ya can't tell and I love talking about it because I don't know anyone in real life that would enjoy this.

Edit: just got to Gregg's finale where he knocks over the tapes like dominoes but he spells it "OSCER", classic moment
Yeah, since the Oscar Special I've been rewatching a lot of seasons and listening to the old podcasts. I'm just finishing up the trial now and it's so damn genius. The running gag about Star Trek 2 is one of the best things ever. It started as a minor disagreement way back in 2011, and 6 years later it culminates in the actual director/screenwriter giving testimony in the middle of a murder trial. Amazing!

And this is probably just a coincidence, but I just noticed it was exactly 6 years in between. The original Star Trek 2 podcast was on November 21, 2011 and the episode with his appearance at the trial was on November 21, 2017.

Nov 11, 2017
I've seen those pop up before but didn't check them out until now, thanks. Reminds me of some of the best Daily Show segments. Jena Friedman is really good.

Yeah, since the Oscar Special I've been rewatching a lot of seasons and listening to the old podcasts. I'm just finishing up the trial now and it's so damn genius. The running gag about Star Trek 2 is one of the best things ever. It started as a minor disagreement way back in 2011, and 6 years later it culminates in the actual director/screenwriter giving testimony in the middle of a murder trial. Amazing!

And this is probably just a coincidence, but I just noticed it was exactly 6 years in between. The original Star Trek 2 podcast was on November 21, 2011 and the episode with his appearance at the trial was on November 21, 2017.
The way they reveal that Tim ripped off Empty Bottle was particularly great.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Here's a trailer that gives you a good idea of what the show is.
Thanks for these, I just watched everything I could find of hers, I love it. That McAfee interview is amazing.

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
The behind-the-scenes thing I think I'm most curious about right now is the Marvel movie stuff, inserting On Cinema into these zillion dollar movies. Easy enough to accept real-world Tim or Gregg got a bit part in a movie, but did that then cause the other to go hunting for a counterpart? And then years after Gregg appears in Ant-Man, Tim appearing in the sequel is too perfect.

Nov 11, 2017
The behind-the-scenes thing I think I'm most curious about right now is the Marvel movie stuff, inserting On Cinema into these zillion dollar movies. Easy enough to accept real-world Tim or Gregg got a bit part in a movie, but did that then cause the other to go hunting for a counterpart? And then years after Gregg appears in Ant-Man, Tim appearing in the sequel is too perfect.
The director Peyton Reed came onto On Cinema oscar special, so he must be a fan now :p

OP
OP
Venture

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
While I still like my physical media, I can understand your point. You can't pass out from vaping and burn down your digital book collection.

OP
OP
Venture

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
I'd seen Tim mention campaigning and having rallies, but I had no idea how much, if any, of this he was actually doing. Apparently enough for a feature film. I really hope this does get a theatrical release.