• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Breaking news: popular fighting game that has spawned 10 sequels and many spin offs will have another mainline entry

Very shocking

Please let this one be good. 11 was such a snoozefest to watch and play. Looked amazing though

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Clearly, this new project is just another port of Mortal Kombat 11, now featuring one additional kharacter.

The current rumor that's been going for a while now is that it is in fact a "Everyone is here" type of game, with characters from MK9, MKX and MK11, DLC included but without the guests, and with the MK11 characters mostly unchanged. That would mean 16 new characters from MK9 and MKX.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
ffd0af7e-ac90-4853-9311-4e73e681d7bd_text.gif

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm just waiting for this damn game to he announced already, as much as I enjoyed MK11, I want my fast paced MK again even if it isn't like MKX.. at least like MK9

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I played MKX when it was available on PS Plus and couldn't get into it at all. I took a risk and got MK11 and the gameplay was so different, it was kind of astonishing to me. As someone returning to fighting games in the last few years, after a lengthy absence, I figured iterations in fighting franchises don't really change the formula too much, but MK10 and 11 were so different I imagine people who liked one will usually not like the other. I'm curious what 12 will be like.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
This was obviously intentional and nobody is shocked that MK12 is in development, but it is nice to skip the Injustice cycle as someone who doesn't care about Injustice.

Also, Reptile file. :D

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they'll announce it soon. MK trailers are amazing and I loved how hyped they made me for MK11.

MK11's marketing was so damn perfect for someone that grew up with the series and loved the movie as a kid. It just hit every bit of nostalgia I have for the series. I'm kinda curious how they will try to improve upon it for MK12.

No question an everyone is here style game would be one way to do it. Does anyone know how many characters would need to be added to MK11's roster to have everyone (or close to everyone as I imagine not every guest character would be included)? Maybe the games being close to each other will help reduce the work needed to have a game like that.

Either way, I can't wait to see what they've been working on.

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
MK11's marketing was so damn perfect for someone that grew up with the series and loved the movie as a kid. It just hit every bit of nostalgia I have for the series. I'm kinda curious how they will try to improve upon it for MK12.

No question an everyone is here style game would be one way to do it. Does anyone know how many characters would need to be added to MK11's roster to have everyone (or close to everyone as I imagine not every guest character would be included)? Maybe the games being close to each other will help reduce the work needed to have a game like that.

Ermac, Reptile, Smoke, Cyrak, Sektor, Quan Chi, Kung Jin, Kenshi, Takeda, Ferra Torr, Tanya, Bo Rai Cho, Tremor, Stryker, Goro, Shinnok.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah sure okay that's great

Now someone tell us what the deal is with that amazing WW design

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I see Max is holding out hope for that Marvel game. All due respect, of course (you rock, dood).

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
The current rumor that's been going for a while now is that it is in fact a "Everyone is here" type of game, with characters from MK9, MKX and MK11, DLC included but without the guests, and with the MK11 characters mostly unchanged. That would mean 16 new characters from MK9 and MKX.
Yeah, I remember the rumors from that one thread from back in December.

Excluding guests but counting all the Cyber Lin Kuei and the unplayable bosses from the reboot trilogy, we'd need to add the 16 CaptainKashup mentioned, plus Cyber Sub-Zero, Triborg (these two were explicitly shot down in a few rumors), Kronika, Kintaro, and if we're really lucky Corrupted Shinnok.

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Excluding guests but counting all the Cyber Lin Kuei and the unplayable bosses from the reboot trilogy, we'd need to add the 16 CaptainKashup mentioned, plus Cyber Sub-Zero, Triborg (these two were explicitly shot down in a few rumors), Kronika, Kintaro, and if we're really lucky Corrupted Shinnok.

I think Kintaro might have a chance of getting in, since he was "technically" playable in MK9 and they made a whole model for him for Shang Tsung's fatality.
Triborg doesn't need to be in since it's basically just Cyrax, Sektor and Smoke in one kharacter. Cyber Sub-Zero, however, had his own unique playstyle so who knows.

Jun 24, 2021
It wasn't the og I think.
There's also the fact that it's the 30th anniversary of the franchise, that NRS did that after every trilogy and that MK12 is taking extra-long compared to the usual Netherrealm development time.
Ah right I always forget about Armageddon and Trilogy. Well, it makes sense, especially given how it would also corroborate Grubb's reporting. A compilation game would also probably take less time since it sounds like this wasn't always the plan.

It might even explain how it seemed, according to unused character slots, that MK11's DLC support was cut a little short. Why keep making MK11 when you could just make MK12?

jonasvutt

Jan 17, 2018
That email reminds of Spider-Man PS4.

"MAINTAIN SECRECY: If this gets out, PR nightmare, could bring down all of Oscorp."

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Something to be noted is that Jandy posted another tweet with 4 different pictures right after this one, but deleted them right before I could check them.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Well, that kind of sucks. Mortal Kombat 11 played out like a conclusion/soft reboot, so I was hoping they would work on Injustice 3 or another game before returning with Mortal Kombat 12.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
A 30th anniversary release in October would be pretty sweet if MK12 actually is their next game.