• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
capsule_616x353.jpg

DUALSHOCKERS - 8.5
Despite a handful of missteps and some convoluted narrative decisions in the final act, Oninaki is a really fascinating game that I want to learn more about even after completing almost everything it has to offer. Quite frankly, Oninaki sits boldly next to some of the best Japanese games released this console generation. While it may give off a smaller indie vibe, there are some bold ideas explored that really affected me in ways I didn't expect.

DESTRUCTOID - 6.5
I'm emotionally torn on Oninaki because there's so much to like here: it has a lot of great ideas, it just doesn't execute them all as well as it should. Maybe Tokyo RPG Factory should look at changing their formula and scaling down to tighter 10 hour adventures. By cutting down the scale they can focus on what they do best.

RPGSITE - 4
It's close to being greater than the sum of its parts, yet it falls apart in its execution. A lot of Oninaki's mechanics sound great on paper and the game never manages to fully realize them in a cohesive way. I think there are parts of Oninaki that are enjoyable to play and those don't surface until much later into the game. My playthrough lasted roughly 25 hours long and it never manages to shake off the slow combat flow. Oninaki's story initially starts out as its compelling saving grace and Tokyo RPG Factory sadly botches it down the line. It's frequent and long loading times doesn't do it any favors either. There's a bundle of good ideas in Oninaki that could've made it a great game… and it was almost there. Almost.

NINTENDOLIFE - 7
Though the premise is certainly interesting, we felt let down by the story in this one, and the combat is less generally enjoyable than the turn-based affairs that came before. That being said, we also loved the depth offered by the Daemon system, both in terms of what it offers in character progression and combat variety, and the art style of the dark world is truly something to behold. We'd give Oninaki a recommendation to anybody who loves RPGs; although it isn't the best, this is another solid showing from Tokyo RPG Factory.

SCREENRANT - 4.5/5
There are some shocking extremes, but there are also some in-between philosophies that really stick in the back of one's head long after they've first been discussed. Between an engrossing narrative and diverse, exciting combat, Oninaki is likely Tokyo RPG Factory's best game yet. For JRPG fans, it's a must-play, but for those unsure about how interested they are in the genre, it's also a wonderful choice to sample and see if Oninaki is to their liking.

GOD IS A GEEK - 65
A brave choice at something different by Tokyo RPG Factory finds a game that's good but crying out for new ideas.

GAME REVOLUTION - 4.5/5

Tokyo RPG Factory is finally living up to its initial promise and delivering something special for the first time in the studio's short history. Oninaki tackles the theme of death brilliantly thanks to some poignant scenes and a willingness to go where most games won't. That thorough exploration of death ties into every aspect of the game from its hack and slash gameplay to the ending choice that will leave players reflecting upon the journey they just went on. It isn't often that a game truly succeeds as art, but every part of Oninaki goes back into its core motif and that's why it is an essential action RPG.

Metacritic: 70

Last edited:

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
Digitally downloaded has it at a 9. Reviews are all over the place. I'll probably still wait for a sale.

Natasha Kerensky

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Praha, CZ
I put much faith into RPG Site, so this is what is coloring my impression: Poor Tokyo RPG Factory. After the medicore Setsuna and Lost Sphear, I had hoped this would be a solid title.

They really are living up to their name though.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Tokyo RPG Factory if this title fails, and seeing the reviews, not much hope there :/

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh some of those reviews actually make it sound really good but with some frustrating issues. When does it release?

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
Reviews make this sound like a Tokyo RPG Factory title alright...

It's kind of a shame that the studio is living up to its name in all the wrong ways.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I swear this damn company is never going to make a great reviewed game :/ Ive been really looking forward to Oninaki as I like their last 2 games well enough but this looked to be a step up, and reading several reviews this morning, it's just not.

I'll probably still buy it but will probably watch some gameplay videos beforehand. I wonder if this is a talent issue at TRF or just low budget or what? It's baffling to me

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews are definitely similar to the other games RPG Factory has put out. Shame.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After being initially interested in this following its reveal, I was let down by the demo and its complete lack of personality. I didn't find the battles or the cutscenes compelling nor fun.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I need to play a little bit more for review, but surprisingly dark, compelling story, and a combat system you'll hate at first. Note, I said at first. It kind of grows on you, although I'm not sure if that's just Stockholm syndrome.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not every game needs to be a 9 so not really sure what all the negativity is about. A 6 or 7 can still be highly enjoyable for what it is, of course.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hardcore Gamer - 3/5

Forty hours for an action RPG seems like it would offer a decent value for your dollar, but because the latter half of the campaign feels sluggish and utterly repetitive thanks to unwavering scenario makeup, it only devalues it. You should never have a game where you're just rushing through the final dungeons because you don't want to deal with the same old enemy encounter it has been throwing at you for so long. Tokyo RPG Factory appears to have one goal: remind us of the Golden Years of RPGs. Unfortunately, Oninaki captures that era of gaming and does nothing remarkable with it.

Stayfone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Both the Lost Sphear and Oninaki demo's left me severely unimpressed. I love the idea of Tokyo RPG factory but im sorry to say that they arent talented developers. This being their third attempt at rekindling that 16bit JRPG style and not succeeding i think its time to wrap things up (unless they somehow manage to make a profit i guess).

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
Tokyo trash factory

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I was so unimpressed by the demo I couldn't finish it. I played once and made it about 20 or 30 minutes before jumping ship, never to return. Much like I did Setsuna, I might give it a go on an big discount sale. But then again I might not either, Lost Spear I never bothered with after that demo.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Digitally downloaded has it at a 9. Reviews are all over the place. I'll probably still wait for a sale.
That's somewhat low for Digitally Downloaded.

EDIT: For context, the same reviewer gave Setsuna and Lost Sphear 10/10. Also... A bunch of other stuff you probably wouldn't associate with that score.

Last edited:

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i legit have zero faith in tokyo rpg factory

what i want to know is why they are making games, i just dont get the feeling that they truly care about their ideas

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the demo yet, but with these reviews, I guess I'll just wait for the inevitable sale down the road.
Setsuna wasn't bad, but it was a bit too.... mediocre. Nothing extremely bad, but nothing good either. Just plain.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
I aggressively disliked the demo, not a thing in it worked for me.
The reviews so far seems average but I really hoped this would be there breakout hit :/

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I totally forgot this was coming out now.

I did enjoy their first game I Am Setsuna but thought Lost Sphear was a miss, I'll have to check the demo out for this one.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, Tokyo RPG Factory are really struggling to make a game that everyone loves... this seems divisive.

I'll check it out at some point for sure but... :(

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
I bought TRPG games for the turn-based combat. The change to ARPG combat wasn't very good, and it isn't interesting me as much as turn-based combat. The story side of things has always been mediocre from this studio.

So I guess I'll get it on a sale later.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Oninaki's story initially starts out as its compelling saving grace and Tokyo RPG Factory sadly botches it down the line.

That's all I needed to hear. The story was the only redeeming quality of the demo, it was genuinely intriguing. Looks like an easy skip

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I really wasn't feeling the demo. Didn't help that my controller configuration was bugged for some reason. I hope that they can persevere because I think they have some decent talent, but it hasn't come together as a cohesive whole quite yet.

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
RPGsite is the only website I seriously consider when it comes to reviewing RPGs
I have to say it read a bit more positive than the actual score. Not that I really care about scores anyway

That part about weapons and performance sounds scary

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Certainly sounds like an TRPGF game, thankfully I don't hate their previous 2 entries, so I probably won't hate this one either and I'm a sucker for throwback JRPG's. I've heard a lot of talk about how the narrative falls flat on it's face halfway in though which is giving me pause as I didn't find the combat in the demo particularly good and if the narrative elements end up being the same then it could be a rough game to finish. I might wait for a sale for now.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo rpg factory depresses me, honestly thank god for octopath because I would be dead worried about the jrpg genre otherwise

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
I liked Setsuna and even Lost Sphear quite a bit, so I was surprised and sad that I didn't like the demo at all. All the issues I had with it dropped it from "I'll probably preorder" to "Maybe I'll buy it one day when it's cheap and I have nothing else to play" for me.
At this point I kinda hope their next game (if there is one) is in the same vein as I am Setsuna again, seeing as that's the best game Tokyo RPG Factory have put out so far.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I liked Setsuna and even Lost Sphear quite a bit, so I was surprised and sad that I didn't like the demo at all. All the issues I had with it dropped it from "I'll probably preorder" to "Maybe I'll buy it one day when it's cheap and I have nothing else to play" for me.
At this point I kinda hope their next game (if there is one) is in the same vein as I am Setsuna again, seeing as that's the best game Tokyo RPG Factory have put out so far.
and even then it was mediocre

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Darn. I was hoping this would break Tokyo RPG Factory out of its usual less-than-satisfying games. The demo didn't do this game any favors for me, but I had hope it was just my weird gaming tastes that made me not like it or something. ha

Oct 30, 2017
I already pre-ordered the physical version for my PS4 and I cannot wait to start playing it.

Lost Reviewed less than Oninaki and I enjoyed it pretty much... so I know I will enjoy this as well.

I hope it lands around 70s at MC and sell enough to guarantee another game from the team which I really like.