• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Steam provides 100 Payment methods. Only 10% of purchases are done via credit card, paypal, paysafe. The remaining 90% of purchases are mostly done via cash. Your customers probably don't use credit cards.

Countries like Japan pay for their games that are different than the north american model. Japanese customers prefer to go in store to purchase a voucher. Japanese customers prefer to use cash. So Steam retail cards match the Japanese model for purchasing games.

https://steamdb.info/blog/steam-business-update-at-gdc-2019/

Nov 14, 2017
User warned: trolling inflammatory accusation and conspiracy theories
This just makes me think something I've long suspected: Steam is being used to launder cash. That's why there are so many garbage asset flip things on Steam.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Steam provides 100 Payment methods. Only 10% of purchases are done via credit card, paypal, paysafe. The remaining 90% of purchases are mostly done via cash. Your customers probably don't use credit cards.

Countries like Japan pay for their games that are different than the north american model. Japanese customers prefer to go in store to purchase a voucher. Japanese customers prefer to use cash. So Steam retail cards match the Japanese model for purchasing games.

https://steamdb.info/blog/steam-business-update-at-gdc-2019/
Since the second paragraph came before the first, on the live blog... is the statement about 10% just referring to Japan?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Don't think anyone in The Netherlands pays for their games via a credit card. PayPal is more used. But most people will use iDeal.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This just makes me think something I've long suspected: Steam is being used to launder cash. That's why there are so many garbage asset flip things on Steam.
I've wondered the same thing.

Wouldn't the 30% cut that Steam takes (plus cost of developing an asset flip) make this a pretty inefficient way to launder cash, though? Or is that an expected cut for money laundering?

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully in my country they rolled support for the most common debit card so most people just pay with cash

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-paid Steam wallet cards are available in Finland as well, although they are nowhere near as common as PSN/Xbox cards are. Gamestop is one of the few places selling them.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
The pre-paid card thing is a nice option and ya in Japan just getting a credit card from what I heard is troublesome and that is why Sony requires it for you to buy Cero Z games on PSN (and also charges you 100 yen as well).

The lack of pre-paid cards is one of the things I would like for EGS to add and one of the things that I mentioned in the past keeping me from buying stuff from them

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Im pretty sure most of my country, Mexico, pay their steam games at OXXO, which frankly it's incredibly handy even tho i myself preffer paypal.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
This just shows how much Valve invests in market research so developers don't have to worry about it.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yep I can attest to this

I been using steam wallet cards while I use PayPal for pretty much everything else outside of steam

I don't use credit cards at all for any online transactions

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't be easier to just sell the gift cards on the black market? You wouldn't have to submit a game, wait weeks for Valve to pay out, and surrender 30% to the store.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
I can relate to not using credit cards/PayPal and am always disappointed when it's the only two payment options a store uses.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I would'nt dream of using a pre-paid card, and I find pay pal crap. Always used Credit Card being based in UK we have good consumer protection. But I suppose other countries are completely different.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
One thing I never realized, as someone in the US, is how many payment methods Steam offers in other countries. More than just having regional pricing and taking local currencies it seems Steam tries to use local payment methods as well. I guess this goes with Gabe's idea that piracy is a services issue. Make it easier for people to pay for the games and they will.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I guess I was expecting a different answer.
LikelyFickleAngelwingmussel-small.gif

Like this?

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I never realized, as someone in the US, is how many payment methods Steam offers in other countries. More than just having regional pricing and taking local currencies it seems Steam tries to use local payment methods as well. I guess this goes with Gabe's idea that piracy is a services issue. Make it easier for people to pay for the games and they will.

That is main reason why Valve is slow to implement regional pricing. They don't just lower price but leave it in US dollars like Epic does. They go for full package price, currency and payment method. On top of other things like VAT for example.