Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I guess someone said there are new animations for some old Pokémon?
I doesn't matter, the thing here is, if they wanted, they could've done it.
Make the new Pokémon in-house and everything else could be outsourced, but the hard work is already done since PokéDex Pro.
Even if some old Pokemon have some new animations not all of them need them.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
They'll definitely cut Jynx. It was one of the few from its set of 'mons that didn't get any focus in the later gens because of its racial implications (it even got a color change to purple from black). Gen 2 was the last connection to Jynx (Smoochum).

Almost all the late numbered gen 1 'mons got something down the line except 3 (Lapras, Tauros, and Ditto):

Eevee got Sylveon in Gen 6
Scyther got Mega Scizor in Gen 6
Pinser got Mega Pinser in Gen 6
Kangaskhan got Mega Kangaskhan in Gen 6
Rhyhorn got Rhyperior in Gen 4
Electabuzz got Electivire in Gen 4
Magmar got Magmortar in Gen 4
Snorlax got Munchlax in Gen 4
Mr. Mime got Mime Jr. in Gen 4

Pretty much everything around Jynx in the Pokedex got something.

As a proud fan of Jynx, I have to say "the connection" you talk about might be missing from Jynx, but that's not the point.

She was still included in the Kalos Pokédex, just like Mr. Mime, so both of them have the same chances (of getting cut). Or being in, since there aren't many Ice or Fairy Types. Jynx was even featured in a Pokémon Go event not too long ago, so it's not like they're trying to ignore her.

The other Pokémon I've seen mentioned is Porygon, but it even appears as a Pokédex in the Pokémon Masters artwork.

The thing is for more that I think about it, no reason is strong enough for me to say, this or that Pokémon would be ok if they're cut, or would actually make sense that they're cut. I could probably think of Pansage, Pansear and Panpour, and that's it lol but I really don't know how they think.

Most of the Pokémon had been some sort of featured here and there in recent years, whether is the anime, spin off's, TCG, and all of that must be taken into consideration, because with these new games, there's all the merchandise and the anime that come along with it.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I can think of that even sort of resembles a justification for this is if they substantially expanded the amie/refresh replacement to the point where they couldn't just reuse most of the existing animations. Everything else looks like the 3DS stuff with some minor touch-ups, but that seems like it might have some new camp element.

That would still be a terrible trade-off and blatant overcommitting their resources but at least it's an explanation. They also still probably would have been better off just limiting the Pokémon you could use with that instead of just cutting them completely, though.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
It was only a matter of time. There are too many Poke'mon. They "future-proofed" the models a while back (so I'm not totally clear why they're not present here). But they're not future-proofed forever. Some day they'll have to make new ones. That's just going to get harder and harder as time goes on.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a mess. I'm going back to replaying Crystal and Emerald. Someone wake me up when GF gets its head out of its ass.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Pokemon Home is more than just a box (aka cemetery). It would be nice if it had battles, for example.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
that depends though. how manny major versions ago where those models/ anamations made. I mean engine/tools versions btw. no model can be used forever, even if its good enough, eventually compatibility breaks.
Considering they made them to be future proof if they already fucked up then we are right back to Game Freak being incompetent.
There's no reason the models wouldn't be compatible, at worst they would need to rework the shaders on the models. If animations are incompatible then I don't know what happened since there doesn't seem to be any changes to the way the game handles animations, it's just as limited as it was on 3DS and Pokemon are still using old animations.

IzzyRX

Powered by Friendship™
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It was only a matter of time. There are too many Poke'mon. They "future-proofed" the models a while back (so I'm not totally clear why they're not present here). But they're not future-proofed forever. Some day they'll have to make new ones. That's just going to get harder and harder as time goes on.
Then, they should hire more people. There's money for that.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Would you guys be ok with gamefreak only allowing the final stage evo of each cut pokemon to return in sword and shield?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
that depends though. how manny major versions ago where those models/ anamations made. I mean engine/tools versions btw. no model can be used forever, even if its good enough, eventually compatibility breaks.
This should have been exactly the game the models were future-proofed for, though. Those things certainly weren't optimized for 3DS.

IzzyRX

Powered by Friendship™
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't BOTW or Xenoblade 2 got some help from other studios? I wish Nintendo would get involved just like Iwata did with Black/White 2, someone to say 'hey, this is terrible, why you're doing that?'
C'mon, this is not a small franchise, Gamefreak like to present itself like, this 'small indie studio' but they don't need to and it's starting to reflect on their work.
It's frustrating.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
id rather not have to disable animations entirely just because they're that sluggish.
Well, it's not like Game Freak can't just speed them up too. Pokémon is the only AAA JRPG with this kind of disjointed animation, right? Just make them jump up to their opponent's face or something.

Anything that's not just moving the 'mon on the Y axis while some particles play over the opponent.

Oct 28, 2017
Well, it's not like Game Freak can't speed them uo too. Pokémon is the only AAA JRPG with this kind of disjointed animation, right? Just make them jump up to their opponent's face or something.

Anything that's not just moving the 'mon on the Y axis while some particles play over the opponent.

The main issue I see is giving GF more animation work when they seemingly can't handle their current load.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Would you guys be ok with gamefreak only allowing the final stage evo of each cut pokemon to return in sword and shield?

It's better than anything, but wouldn't be ok by no means. Missing Pokémon, even if it's just one species, is just unforgivable. I would've understood Mega Evolutions getting axed, that sucks too, design wise, but they were just forms tied to a specific item and mechanic. But an entire species being absent from a main game, is just sickening.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Then, they should hire more people. There's money for that.
They should. I think the current models and animation kind of suck anyways. But again, you can only throw money at people for so long. It just doesn't scale if we are talking about 1000s of unique Poke'mon some day. People always flip out when I bring it up. But I don't know the solution other than to start retiring Poke'mon. Or I guess do what they're doing here, and limiting the amount of Poke'mon in each game. They've boxed themselves into a corner.

Nov 8, 2017
People always praise quality over quantity, but I'm guessing that's not true for a lot of us. People just just want that sweet quantity. It's becoming a drug. Always want more. Need that latest hit.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Masuda from Game Freak just confirmed in the Threehouse Live that similarly to Let's Go, not all 800+ Pokémon will be in the data for the games, only the Pokémon that are part of the Galar Pokédex.

Also Pokémon that aren't part of the Galar Pokédex can't be transfered to SWSH.

More info soon...

When I first saw this news I thought it meant it'd be a gen 3 situation where you'd just have to wait for later gen 8 games to fill out the national dex, which kinda sucked cuz rip 5 gens of forward compatibility, but wouldn't be too big a deal.

This? This is really bad.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's not like Game Freak can't just speed them up too. Pokémon is the only AAA JRPG with this kind of disjointed animation, right? Just make them jump up to their opponent's face or something.

More unique animations for physical moves would be good, sure. But jumping up to their face went out the window with small vs giant.
Raid battles already looked like a lot of waiting and imagining that with Battle Revolution animations is not a good feel.

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
I mean they're coming up on number 1,000 and with the games requiring more complex models and animations this probably shouldn't be a surprise. Maybe more of them in Ultra SwSh and all of them by gen 9. I'd expect the same out of the first major entry in any new console generation from now on.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The main issue I see is giving GF more animation work when they seemingly can't handle their current load.

They can farm animation work pretty easily. China is a popular destination for this kind of thing.

It's clear that they can't handle 900+ Pokemon in-house anymore. They need to hire contractors. And they need to work on a future proof framework for existing Pokemon that is actually future proof this time.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I mean they're coming up on number 1,000 and with the games requiring more complex models and animations this probably shouldn't be a surprise. Maybe more of them in Ultra SwSh and all of them by gen 9. I'd expect the same out of the first major entry in any new console generation from now on.

They're using the same models they used since XY on the 3DS.

IzzyRX