• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
What about dive routes? That's a unique type of environment that was completely axed from the later games. It's optional in the sense that you can just, you know, not design dive routes, but at that point everything is optional. Furthermore, the argument that GF won't do something because that's not what they have historically done is flawed. They used to include the data of all existing Pokémon so far in their games, remember?

Again, not saying it will happen, just that they've made drastic cuts before, and the wild area still feels like a 'testing the waters' kind of addition to me.

Its not just the wild area though. Pokemon on the field, messing with encounters from entry to entry

The entire core of the series is built on finding ways to mix up how to find and capture creatures. Its a natural and logical progression

There is no way to trend away from this

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
That only applied to side content, never environmental design and core mechanics

I just think it's dangerous to assume we know what their focus will be a full generation in advance before we've even played this generation.

It doesn't make sense to me personally to excuse any current gameplay because "it's a stepping stone to the future", I prefer to judge based on what is available than what might possibly be.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Na, let's stay hyped.

Other than the dex issue, which absolutely sucks, it still looks like a fantastic game and the game we're getting in November would have been the same regardless of if we had it all coded in or not so it's still the game we were excited about two weeks ago.

So let's stay positive!

For me the issue with staying hyped is, I love a new gen and discovering all the new Pokemon for the first time. But beyond that, the main game is only 1% of my play time. It's all training and battling after that. I played 500 hours on Sun/Moon, but only 35 hours on LGPE.

If the post game is basically dead in this due to the meta game being carved apart from missing mons, or worse missing features like breeding, then I will lose 99% of my Pokemon experience.

Hopefully that's not the case and the battling we can do with the mons in the game is fully featured.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
sounds like you just don't like Pokemon

This seems elitist to me, there's no right or wrong way to "like" pokemon.

So what if they'd personally find a BotW clone more satisfying than SwSh? There's no mandate you have to like the games at all to "like pokemon", there's an Anime, a TCG, movies, stuffed animals.... tons of people like pokemon without liking the games

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

So what if they'd personally find a BotW clone more satisfying than SwSh? There's no mandate you have to like the games at all to "like pokemon", there's an Anime, a TCG, movies, stuffed animals.... tons of people like pokemon without liking the games
It's not.

It'd be like me going into a Halo thread and complaining that it's not like Gears of War. If I were to do that, maybe it's that I don't actually like Halo

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

it's Elitist on their part for saying a carbon clone of Zelda is more appealing, yes.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, sure bud. I played every mainline game. Not paying 60 for less pokemon and no megas. Guess there won't be much pst-game either, that's a new gamefreak tradition.

so you'd play a Pokemon game with 10 total Pokemon? because thats what a carbon copy of BOTW would be. If you meant a spinoff in that style or something, sure, but saying the mainline pokemon games are less appealing than a carbon copy of BOTW just sounds like you don't like the games at all. Its essentially saying you'd be ok with it not existing.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
Nah, someone saying "Even a carbon copy of Uncharted with Master Chief would be more satisfying than Halo Infinite lmao." would get shit on.

And here I thought I'd read a bunch of commentary about how bad it is to shit on people and that we should be open minded and civil from certain people in this thread.

It just bothers me that certain critiques of the developers is labelled as "abuse", but we'll all line up to "shit on" someone who's opinion differs from our own on this forum.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
And here I thought I'd read a bunch of commentary about how bad it is to shit on people and that we should be open minded and civil from certain people in this thread.

It just bothers me that certain critiques of the developers is labelled as "abuse", but we'll all line up to "shit on" someone who's opinion differs from our own on this forum.

Who is being shit on? someone came in just to troll with "lol clone botw and its a better game" isn't being open minded or civil.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
as opposed to spending time making 4 composites, a title card and a fake UI seriously? if people want to continue to make awkward edits to try and shit on a game they can do better. Ill help em learn some ;)
I was with you when people were shitting on Let's Go, but damn is it hard to see you justifying the BS GameFreak is pulling with these games. Really saddening :/

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

All I said is that it would happen, not that it was morally correct or whatever. For the record, Harmony didn't get "shit on" in any way.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
Who is being shit on? someone came in just to troll with "lol clone botw and its a better game" isn't being open minded or civil.

Telling someone what they do and do not like for themselves is toxic imo

If you don't like what they have to say, then critique that thing based on its merits, not what you think the person is or isn't feeling/interested in. I've been similarly defensive of personal attacks against people I both agree and disagree with throughout this whole thing and it bums me out to see some people shouting the loudest about "being civil" engaging in personal arguments.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I was with you when people were shitting on Let's Go, but damn is it hard to see you justifying the BS GameFreak is pulling with these games. Really saddening :/

I don't agree with the roster cuts at all, and I think the graphics have some issues and have said as much. If you think im "justifying the bs gamefreak is pulling" then tell at least me what ive said that gave you that impression and why :/

I legitimately enjoy drawing and analyzing artwork. Sometimes its very useful for pointing out peoples mindsets and methods.

Telling someone what they do and do not like for themselves is toxic imo

If you don't like what they have to say, then critique that thing based on its merits, not what you think the person is or isn't feeling/interested in. I've been similarly defensive of personal attacks against people I both agree and disagree with throughout this whole thing and it bums me out to see some people shouting the loudest about "being civil" engaging in personal arguments.

if you'd rather the pokemon games cease to exist, and become just a 1 for 1 BOTW clone, you're saying you do not like Pokemon because thats straight up trolling.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Ugh, the gloating in the inevitable thread that's going to happen when these games do well regardless is going to suck. Cause how dare people expect better from Gamefreak or expect a feature that's been a thing for nearly the entire series history. I'm going to remain in a wait and see mode for if Gamefreak changes their mind on this, but if the games are going to continue selling gangbusters no matter what, it's not like they have an incentive to do anything but deliver the absolute bare minimum. Really sucks to see a series I hold so dear go down a path I can't support anymore. It's going to hurt to miss out on these games going forward, but when they stripped away at least 60% of what I spent my time playing the games for, there just isn't a point anymore.
It's really sad, isn't it? I might end up getting one of the games (initially was planning to get the dual pack), but I wish people understood that they should expect better, because companies improving their offerings when they clearly are capable of it, will benefit us all, but no, you see people trying to justify and defend bizarre decisions.
Did you respond to the wrong comment or something here?
Nope. Got the right one.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
I don't agree with the roster cuts at all, and I think the graphics have some issues and have said as much. If you think im "justifying the bs gamefreak is pulling" then tell at least me what ive said that gave you that impression and why :/

if you'd rather the pokemon games cease to exist, and become just a 1 for 1 BOTW clone, you're saying you do not like Pokemon because thats straight up trolling.

No one said they want all the Pokemon games to cease to exist, this is critique specific to one game out of the 20 year history. And no where did they even say they want it to "cease to exist", just that they're displeased with it enough that they think a BotW clone would be better. Is that my opinion? No, but I'm not going to try and twist it into something they didn't say just because I disagree.

and again, Pokemon encompasses a wide variety of things that do not include the games, there are tons of people that "like" pokemon without liking the games

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
It's really sad, isn't it? I might end up getting one of the games (initially was planning to get the dual pack), but I wish people understood that they should expect better, because companies improving their offerings when they clearly are capable of it, will benefit us all, but no, you see people trying to justify and defend bizarre decisions.

Nope. Got the right one.

This is something that bothers me across all videogames. I can both want a game to be better, and still enjoy it at the same time.

It's like Pizza, I can critique what's wrong with an average pizza but still enjoy eating it because it's fucking pizza and it's still a good deal compared to a lot of other foods.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
No one said they want all the Pokemon games to cease to exist, this is critique specific to one game out of the 20 year history. And no where did they even say they want it to "cease to exist", just that they're displeased with it enough that they think a BotW clone would be better. Is that my opinion? No, but I'm not going to try and twist it into something they didn't say just because I disagree.

and again, Pokemon encompasses a wide variety of things that do not include the games, there are tons of people that "like" pokemon without liking the games

If the games turned into BOTW carbon copy and does away with the mechanics we've come to love about the games then it becomes a spinoff and the original games cease to exist. I dont know how you can interpret that differently.

Yup, but it was a comment encompassing basically everything I've been reading.

I would like to see receipts if my character is in question like this.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I don't think we'll be getting an update soon on the Pokemon are we? It might just be like a week before release before we find out exactly who's staying from the other gens.

Well anyway, it does seem like talk about this is dying in other sites and social media so I don't know.

I don't think the Official Pokemon Twitter account has posted anything at all lately either. I haven't seen a notification from them. Must be resting time.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
I don't think we'll be getting an update soon on the Pokemon are we? It might just be like a week before release before we find out exactly who's staying from the other gens.

Well anyway, it does seem like talk about this is dying in other sites and social media so I don't know.

I don't think the Official Pokemon Twitter account has posted anything at all lately either. I haven't seen a notification from them. Must be resting time.

I'll be SHOCKED if we know in a week what the final roster looks like

I wouldn't be surprised if we need to be thinking more in the term of months

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'll be SHOCKED if we know in a week what the final roster looks like

I wouldn't be surprised if we need to be thinking more in the term of months
That's why I mentioned the week before release cause we usually get details on the full Pokedex when someone gets the game early and looks at the data.

I can't believe I have to play Russian Roulette with Pokemon.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
This is something that bothers me across all videogames. I can both want a game to be better, and still enjoy it at the same time.

It's like Pizza, I can critique what's wrong with an average pizza but still enjoy eating it because it's fucking pizza and it's still a good deal compared to a lot of other foods.
Right? Earlier today someone called me out thinking I wasn't going to buy Super Mario Maker 2 because I was being vocal about the lack of button inputs on handheld mode for stage creation, thing is, I can completely enjoy a product while still criticizing some aspects of it that I don't like and would prefer changed. I wish more people understood that, not everything you complain about has to be dealbreaker stuff only.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
That's why I mentioned the week before release cause we usually get details on the full Pokedex when someone gets the game early and looks at the data.

ohhhhh, my bad. I didn't see it say 'before release" and thought you were literally saying "it might be a week before we know" lol

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
Right? Earlier today someone called me out thinking I wasn't going to buy Super Mario Maker 2 because I was being vocal about the lack of button inputs on handheld mode for stage creation, thing is, I can completely enjoy a product while still criticizing some aspects of it that I don't like and would prefer changed. I wish more people understood that, not everything you complain about has to be dealbreaker stuff only.

Just how people hyperbolize today unfortunately. Everything has to be all or nothing, you have to be a defender or a hater, no room for middle of the road criticism.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't. I don't understand how a paradigm shift going forward would even have anything to do with the "original" games let alone make them "cease to exist".

If a series becomes a completely different genre then its no longer the same. Same brand maybe, but different appeal and different audience.
Millions of people would be really upset if that happened.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
ohhhhh, my bad. I didn't see it say 'before release" and thought you were literally saying "it might be a week before we know" lol
No it's cool I thought maybe I didn't type it correctly or something lol! My bad.

I'm just still disappointed in this game so far despite all the very nice things it has.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019

I'm waiting to see how many there are before buying. It could very well be less than Diamond and Pearl's 493... Really sucks

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
And what does this have to do with the original games ceasing to exist? Literally nothing would change about them

Im not talking about the original games, i never even mentioned them. We're talking about the Pokemon mainline games coming out.
You clearly made that inference but decided to pretend like you didn't for some reason.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018

They should do Reality TV style elimination rounds.
Each Monday, the official Pokemon account should tweet the names of 8 Pokemon on the chopping block.
Each following day, they should tweet the name of one of the purged Pokemon, coming from the list.

This would last us until November.
Or, you know, until the Great Pokemon Riots of 2019.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019

In a completely separate point? I totally agree with you that a lot of people would be upset with a paradigm shift going forward, I just don't understand what that has to do with you bringing up the original games and saying this dude "doesn't like pokemon" because he doesn't like a single game in its series.

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
I'm not mad about that, I actually expected them to not have 800+ Pokémon in this new game, I think the game looks pretty cool so I'll end up buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.