• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Finally looking at this list, this must have been an excruciating set of decisions to make. I'm missing a couple of favourites but I don't dislike the overall balance. They could have taken much. much lazier routes than they did.

Personally, I would have wanted

Squirtle
Abra
Kabuto
Shroomish
Aron
Slakoth
Absol
Metang
Piplup
Starly
Gible
Giratina
Venipede
Skrep
Clauncher
Klefki

to be included. But I don't when you consider things like unique mechanics versus normal and dependable, type distribution, and gen distribution, I wonder who I'd have to lose in exchange to keep the roster similarly strong.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GbBwYiI.png

8mMdmzk.png

P4pTIyV.png

Po69vb8.png

xU6xBo5.png

HyImJZZ.png

AW191qo.png

wcSbX15.png

Amazing.

That person who is making those funny daily crying images of every snapped Pokemon is supposed to be returning Monday after taking a break. Although they were saying that they were getting a lot of hate and harassment for 'contributing to the fandom's toxicity', especially by those who can't seem to get that it's meant to be satire more than anything, so it's not entirely certain if they actually are coming back or not. :/

For me though, that 'thank you gamefreak' hashtag thing I think is the thing that finally broke me and got me to realize how futile this all is. While it certainly started off coming from a good place, it immediately turned into yet another avenue to bash 'haters' and make broad generalizations. The declarations that anyone who's critical of these games were never 'real' Pokemon fans and are out to personally harm those involved with gamefreak is getting louder and louder. For as much as I've enjoyed being apart of the Pokemon community throughout my life, it really has become too damn painful and alienating to be near it at his point. It feels like the community where I used to find like-minded people who I could easily befriend over a common interest now hates my guts instead and honestly seems to think that someone like me wants someone to threaten, or god forbid, actually shoot up GF headquarter over a fucking video game, and it's completely fucking insane, yet they keep pushing that shit like no tomorrow.

The gatekeeping and wagon circling is only going to get worst from here and I don't particularly want to be subjected to it, but because I'm an idiot, I'll probably keep doing exactly that to myself. Either way, I'm just going to meme my way through the pain and enjoy the few laughs I can get out of this mess.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
acting like pokemon are actually deleted is just fueling the nonsensical part of the outrage
Yeah what we should really be doing is photoshopping the Pokemon not in Sword and Shield into prison uniforms, pleading their cases to the Pokemon parole board to be let out of Home within the decade, all while begging their trainers on the phone to keep the money flowing lest the place be shut down.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
That person who is making those funny daily crying images of every snapped Pokemon is supposed to be returning Monday after taking a break. Although they were saying that they were getting a lot of hate and harassment for 'contributing to the fandom's toxicity', especially by those who can't seem to get that it's meant to be satire more than anything, so it's not entirely certain if they actually are coming back or not. :/

For me though, that 'thank you gamefreak' hashtag thing I think is the thing that finally broke me and got me to realize how futile this all is. While it certainly started off coming from a good place, it immediately turned into yet another avenue to bash 'haters' and make broad generalizations. The declarations that anyone who's critical of these games were never 'real' Pokemon fans and are out to personally harm those involved with gamefreak is getting louder and louder. For as much as I've enjoyed being apart of the Pokemon community throughout my life, it really has become too damn painful and alienating to be near it at his point. It feels like the community where I used to find like-minded people who I could easily befriend over a common interest now hates my guts instead and honestly seems to think that someone like me wants someone to threaten, or god forbid, actually shoot up GF headquarter over a fucking video game, and it's completely fucking insane, yet they keep pushing that shit like no tomorrow.

The gatekeeping and wagon circling is only going to get worst from here and I don't particularly want to be subjected to it, but because I'm an idiot, I'll probably keep doing exactly that to myself. Either way, I'm just going to meme my way through the pain and enjoy the few laughs I can get out of this mess.
Yeah, I've felt extremely alienated, especially during the past few days since the dex count has finally come out. Literally all I want to do is voice criticisms with a company or game franchise I'm a fan of and genuinely enjoy, but people love to act like I'm the same as the person who made up the false allegations against Masuda and shit like that. It just kind of sucks.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get being annoyed by the memes or whatever, but what about these pictures is "tied to all the shitty people?"

There is actually nowhere you can go any more that isn't full of the same negative shit and its been this way as far back as the first Switch games announcement. I don't even want to play these games any more now.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
There is actually nowhere you can go any more that isn't full of the same negative shit and its been this way as far back as the first Switch games announcement. I don't even want to play these games any more now.

I suggest to not enter threads explicitly made to critique the game if you don't want to see negativity.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ive seen enough to know how closely tied to all the shitty people it all is

If the memes are bothering you that badly, you can just block the thread, or me. Your constant need to come in and try to shut down every last bit of criticism toward Pokemon in every. single. thread while constantly implying that we're toxic without outright saying it is has already contributed to multiple people avoiding Pokemon threads. So, maybe take a page from your own book and bow out if its too much of a problem. I've said before that I have no problem with the people who are fine with the way things currently are with Pokemon, but respect begets respect, and the way you are often incredibly backhanded with all of your comments in threads lately is super obvious and rude as all fuck.

All I'm saying is, even though you tend to make it kinda hard to do so, I've done my best to stop engaging with you because its clear we're never going to agree on these things no matter how much we debate it, and that's fine. I'm not telling you to stop speaking up entirely, but as someone who's been trying to step away from Pokemon threads that I've been finding upsetting, and knowing that you've mentioned before that you find a lot of this criticism toward Pokemon upsetting and that's why you keep arguing despite how much it stresses you out, it's important to know when to step back for a little awhile.

Edit: And I missed your last post up there. All I can reiterate is that you really need to take a step back if this is causing you pain. I know exactly how shitty this entire situation has been and how awful it feels to see a community you enjoy turn on each other. For your own mental health, please, please do what I'm doing and try to limit your exposure to this stuff. Nobody is telling you not to play these games or enjoy them. Stop looking at these things that make you unhappy. Just focus on the fact that these games that you love are coming out soon and you're going to enjoy every moment of it. Don't let me or anyone else get you down to the point that you think you won't enjoy them. Take a break and go into them with a fresh head and I promise you it will be okay. You will be okay. I'm sorry if I've hurt you in any way over the last few months since this all started, but please acknowledge that your own words can be hurtful too.

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With all the mights in that recent interview I'm pretty sure some Pokemon are oing to straight up cease to exist in the games once their gens respective remake is out. RIP Purugly.

432.png

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I suggest to not enter threads explicitly made to critique the game if you don't want to see negativity.

Except it happened in both threads that were supposed to be positive within the last day and new ones keep popping up. You can keep blocking people and threads but it just seems like everything relating to this IP is now just a lightning rod for this.

BeanBoi

Jun 20, 2019
ive seen enough to know how closely tied to all the shitty people it all is
Except it happened in both threads that were supposed to be positive within the last day and new ones keep popping up. You can keep blocking people and threads but it just seems like everything relating to this IP is now just a lightning rod for this.
Here we go again. Toxicity=Criticism of the Game, or in this case fucking memes.

Just accept that people aren't happy and don't want to be overly positive of GF. Especially in a thread like this.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really regret having missed out on Battle Revolution due to never owning a Wii. I've played Stadium/Colossus/XD so many times that I've got all of the Pokemon animations practically burnt into my mind, but I never really got to see the Gen 4 mons animations in 3D until the main games went full 3D. It's probably waaay too late to get in on it now without it being really expensive to buy.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I really regret having missed out on Battle Revolution due to never owning a Wii. I've played Stadium/Colossus/XD so many times that I've got all of the Pokemon animations practically burnt into my mind, but I never really got to see the Gen 4 mons animations in 3D until the main games went full 3D. It's probably waaay too late to get in on it now without it being really expensive to buy.

The game is strictly a battle simulator, so it lacks the RPG elements from the Colosseum/XD. But the animations remain, and the models are all updated to look good. Especially the N64 models. Pretty impressive making N64 and CG models work along with new Wii models.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
GbBwYiI.png

8mMdmzk.png

P4pTIyV.png

Po69vb8.png

xU6xBo5.png

HyImJZZ.png

AW191qo.png

wcSbX15.png

Amazing.

"Gatekeeping" is the perfect way to describe what's going with these games and criticism. Hell you see it all the time here on era too. The irony is that most people doing the dismissing the criticism are either not Pokemon fans or are lapsed fans looking to get back on the Switch (like on the Spawncast). I think people are already underestimating the impact that this decision can have. I know it might not seem like it right now but I don't think people realize that carrying old Pokémon into new games was such a big selling point for so many fans (even among the casuals who don't know about the cuts yet). Yes this mostly affects hardcore fans, and we're not wrong to be pissed off when after Lets Go we were promised that the next games would be for us. Yes most of Pokémon's fanbase is casual and younger but the older and hardcore fanbase is not insignificant either. We'll see how the sales do (I expect it to do well because most potential buyers are still unaware of the bad decisions Gamefreak has made). I don't think the backlash is going anywhere. I think Gamefreak has permanently fractured its fanbase with this decision

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The game is strictly a battle simulator, so it lacks the RPG elements from the Colosseum/XD. But the animations remain, and the models are all updated to look good. Especially the N64 models. Pretty impressive making N64 and CG models work along with new Wii models.

Holy shit. Hydro pump actually coming out of the canons!

I know emulations is a thing and all but I'm a gal who prefers her Pokemon on the original hardware (Unless they make it way more convenient to play on a new platform like the virtual console releases.)

I'm someone who spent waaaay too much money a few years ago buying an N64, Stadium, a working copy of Blue, and that controller add on that let you connect the games together. I put a team specifically together for Stadium, only managed to get the add on thing to work juuust long enough to transfer them in, and finally beat all of Stadium after not being able to pull it off as a kid. It wasn't easy when the N64 was so crappy that even the slightest movement would cause it to freeze.

But, yeah, since the future of Pokemon is not exactly looking great for me, I've considered going back to the games I never played, even if it might break the bank to buy them now. It might be fun to try out that part of Gen 4 that I completely missed out on.

I've actually been thinking about going back and trying to do a complete Pokedex for Crystal since that's pretty much the only generation now that I haven't done it on yet. When the virtual console releases of Gen 1 came out, I made it my mission to finally complete the pokedex in that after never being able to trade for the few mons I was missing as a kid. Actually getting a chance to finally 'catch em all' was a strange experience. Kid me would be proud. Lmao

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
You are in a mourning thread.

What the fuck were you expecting?

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Are you serious? It's core Pokémon. You know you'll enjoy it. I criticize GameFreak that doesn't mean I'm not buying the game.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I didn't even realize which thread this was, there are like 3-4 sometimes more going on

I mean, yeah, the overwhelming negativity can be frustrating, but even accidentally, I don't think it's best to come into a thread and police people here. It's just memes and venting frustration. (Even I mostly avoid the thread now because after the first couple of days it just felt too negative, but that doesn't mean people aren't allowed a space for it.)

Pretty sure when the game comes out the positivity will be back in full swing, anyway.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
You would think with cutting so many Pokemon, Game Freak would secure all the popular and fan-favorites from the get-go and cut the forgettable once. Well at least gen 5 got almost all of'em that aren't starters or legendaries....Besides Zoroark of course???

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
You would think with cutting so many Pokemon, Game Freak would secure all the popular and fan-favorites from the get-go and cut the forgettable once. Well at least gen 5 got almost all of'em that aren't starters or legendaries....Besides Zoroark of course???
And Emolga

And Volcarona

Man I can't even selfishly enjoy the roster as a gen 5 stan despite Stunfisk and Darmanitan getting the royal treatment.

MikeBreezy92

Oct 28, 2019

A lesson I learned long ago is that, when devs make a really divisive decision about their series, never go into any type of forums or thread. because regardless of how you may want positivity, its not going to come because people don't exactly want to be positive. They're upset and people get upset about others being upset no matter how justified the actual argument is and you'll see shit slung everywhere. Its best to just duck out of conversations until things die down for your own sake. Actively participating and responding to everything you may see is Toxic is just a surefire way to keep fanning the flames because no one knows how to ignore anything. So relax, move on, and try to enjoy the game and stay off the internet for awhile.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I'm expecting for launch period to be full of positivity, then 1~2 months later the general feeling will go back to being generally negative.
A year from now I think people will value the things SS does wel more and the GF defense force can be a little more open to criticism.

Next weeks are going to be rough. Reviews are going to be great and podcasts are going to call everyone who's against Dexit toxic..

Even though those people on podcasts play pokemon for a little while and move on to the next big release

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A year from now I think people will value the things SS does wel more and the GF defense force can be a little more open to criticism.

Next weeks are going to be rough. Reviews are going to be great and podcasts are going to call everyone who's against Dexit toxic..

Even though those people on podcasts play pokemon for a little while and move on to the next big release
Yes, that happened last year with Let's Go when impressions/reviews dropped and people started saying the ones complaining were "Toxic Gamers" or "manchildren" and other stuff like that. And funnily now the Let's Go games are commonly considered among the worst in the series by Pokémon fans, like the "haters" expected them to be.

It's one of these franchises that is hard to care too much about reviews as people move on too quickly from them to make a review (ignoring stuff like post-game and competitive)/don't take it seriously enough (happens a lot to portable focused franchises). They're fair reviews for what they're and certainly have a place, as a lot of people just want to go through the story, but reviews never address the complaints longtime fans have with the recent games.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I think this is was actually an artistic choice.

The Pokemon were cut but the Sword Pokemon in Sword and the ones that weren't cut were protected by the Shield Pokemon in shield.

Depending on whether or not a person cares about the cuts or about who was protected... Will decide which version a player may buy.

Game Freak are geniuses.

Xerzix

Dec 1, 2017
No Serperior... I already knew this game was heading into the wrong direction, but this is just straight up ridiculous. Literally none of my top favorites are in this game, none. Not even my all time favorite Serperior.

Might as well pretend this game never existed and save my money. Fck off GameFreak.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Been quite a journey since the initial reveal. I've mostly been lurking since I was tired of the incessant defenders trying to cull my growing disappointment in the franchise but it seems like the disappointment is shared by the majority (of the seemingly hardcore fans) which makes me realize I wasn't the only one.

Just a damn shame that despite the money the franchise makes, they have to literally do away with things rather than to add upon and further enhance.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given everything else I've been reading, from the lack of post game to the lackluster battle backgrounds, the lack of GTS, etc. Problems with this game seem to dig much deeper than the national dex problem.

I'm beginning to wonder what the fuck is actually going on here. Was there a problem in development? Did they put all their resources somewhere else?