sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
The bing version is still the search engine version. It does seem like if you wanna play around with true GPT4 chat you'd need to get the sub.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So who here has Chat GPT4 to get its review on the $30 Italian lunch or that sad NY BBQ plate?
Don't think I can upload any image at the moment
Screenshot-20230314-192705-Chrome.jpg

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I use ChatCPT all day, it's actually a invaluable resource for coding, and providing insight into other people's code. It's part of my workflow.

It's like having an extremely knowledgeable companion, I can't go back.

IDE on one screen, ChatGPT in another. I get it to write my regex for instance. Unbelievable stuff.
oo, that's a great use for it. will have to try it out.

I'm mostly using it for either hobby work or general coding discussion at the moment. I want to use it for work full time but we don't know where the company stands in terms of liability etc if any of our code ends up on chatgpt (or vice versa), so that's at a pause ATM.

but yeah it's pretty incredible. soo much better than copilot.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So many people are going to ask it "what's funny about this image" about absolutely terrible photos.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
For context, GPT 3.5 scored in the bottom 10% for a simulated bar exam, while 4 gets in the top 10%.

Its facility with language (outperforming state-of-the-art English models when given tests translated into other languages) is impressive.

I'm most interested in what the larger context window unlocks. 32k tokens is about 50 pages, imagine something this powerful maintaining coherency for that long. You could auto-summarize long essays, synthesize novellas, generate more than just toy programs. And it's surprisingly affordable.

Right now however they're putting significant daily restrictions on it and mentioned in the article they're looking at a higher tier subscription to lessen those. So I'm curious what that'll end up looking like, especially when Bing is free (and presumably will remain so) and has access to the latest material, and that may be enough for most people.

I've gotten Bing to output some decently lengthy responses though the standard GPT-4 will likely be much better there. Bing chat is modified to work with the search engine so even it's "more creative" option tries to be concise.

Don't think I can upload any image at the moment
Screenshot-20230314-192705-Chrome.jpg

Yep it can't yet. They mentioned they're holding back that feature for now because of its potential for abuse.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish it was last year again. Gonna try and avoid thinking about this shit. Let me know when things are sophisticated enough to bring about a simulation where there's no advanced AI

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Who knows, perhaps v5 will be trained on every Seinfeld episode and we get a proper AI Seinfeld series, instead of that twitch stream.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck it. Let's go. To the bottom, to its nightmarish use in modern societies. I can't even fathom what unhinged capitalism will conjure up.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
I wish Microsoft didn't have put Bing version behind Rewards account as it seems my account was banned (never used it before) and their support does not exist at all - no mails are answered.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Looking at where it performs best, it works best in known problem spaces (simple standardized tests) and performs worst on things requiring awareness and problem solving (see writing only being 54th percentile and USNCO local section and AP calculus)
In only half a generation it went from a 1 on AP Calc to a 4. That massive leap is stunning.

Dull Request

alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2022
Interesting. There are actual people that wouldn't understand what makes that image notable/funny.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I need this stuff officially supported on digital voice assistants like Google Assisstant

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Ah, jesus. Welp here we go!

US Dept of Commerce recently released a report estimating that "virtually every business and government agency" will be using generative AI technology in the next 10-20 years, which may well be a pretty conservative estimate. This thing is moving pretty quickly.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
US Dept of Commerce recently released a report estimating that "virtually every business and government agency" will be using generative AI technology in the next 10-20 years, which may well be a pretty conservative estimate. This thing is moving pretty quickly.
Yeah and the fact that Microsoft laid off their entire AI Ethics department the day before they announced GPT-4 does not instill confidence

Jun 19, 2020
At ChatGPT 7 or 8 we all lose our office jobs. They will figure out a platform to make automating tasks for companies easy soon and thats it.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
Is this available to the public now? I have been using the shit out of bing chat gpt while coding.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Is this available to the public now? I have been using the shit out of bing chat gpt while coding.

Bing chat uses GPT-4 though presumably a more limited version since it's designed around search.

It's available to everyone through the ChatGPT Plus subscription though I think they're still rolling that out over the next several hours. Also for now you're limited there to 100 messages every 4 hours.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really used it much outside of novelty but I am very excited about seeing it improve, esp for coding. Very excited about the future

Oct 30, 2017
I'm surprised at all the people saying they use it to code. In my experience like half of it is wrong, maybe another 25% is suboptimal and the rest is correct and usable. It has given me some good answers, but most of the time it's faster to search on Stack Exchange.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised at all the people saying they use it to code. In my experience like half of it is wrong, maybe another 25% is suboptimal and the rest is correct and usable. It has given me some good answers, but most of the time it's faster to search on Stack Exchange.
It can be a bit buggy but it can also save a lot of time I think. I definitely cross-reference its answers if it's something I don't already know. I think it makes sense if you're using it for pretty boilerplate stuff that you'd just spend time writing out anyway.

I did a test asking it to generate some terraform code for ECS and ECR, at a glance it seems like a time saver, though I'd def go in and adjust a lot of it.

Code:
provider "aws" {
  region = "us-west-2"
}

locals {
  container_port = 80
}

resource "aws_ecr_repository" "example" {
  name = "example-repo"
}

resource "aws_ecs_cluster" "example" {
  name = "example-cluster"
}

resource "aws_iam_role" "ecs_execution_role" {
  name = "ecs_execution_role"

assume_role_policy = jsonencode({
    Version = "2012-10-17"
    Statement = [
      {
        Action = "sts:AssumeRole"
        Effect = "Allow"
        Principal = {
          Service = "ecs-tasks.amazonaws.com"
        }
      }
    ]
  })
}

resource "aws_iam_role_policy_attachment" "ecs_execution_ecr_policy" {
  policy_arn = "arn:aws:iam::aws:policy/AmazonEC2ContainerRegistryReadOnly"
  role       = aws_iam_role.ecs_execution_role.name
}

resource "aws_ecs_task_definition" "example" {
  family                   = "example-task-family"
  requires_compatibilities = ["FARGATE"]
  network_mode             = "awsvpc"
  cpu                      = "256"
  memory                   = "512"
  execution_role_arn       = aws_iam_role.ecs_execution_role.arn

container_definitions = jsonencode([
    {
      name  = "example-container"
      image = "${data.aws_caller_identity.current.account_id}.dkr.ecr.${var.region}.amazonaws.com/${aws_ecr_repository.example.name}:latest"
      portMappings = [
        {
          containerPort = local.container_port
          hostPort      = local.container_port
        }
      ]
    }
  ])
}

data "aws_caller_identity" "current" {}

resource "aws_vpc" "example" {
  cidr_block = "10.0.0.0/16"

tags = {
    Name = "example-vpc"
  }
}

resource "aws_subnet" "example_1" {
  vpc_id     = aws_vpc.example.id
  cidr_block = "10.0.1.0/24"

tags = {
    Name = "example-subnet-1"
  }
}

resource "aws_subnet" "example_2" {
  cidr_block = "10.0.2.0/24"

tags = {
    Name = "example-subnet-2"
  }
}

resource "aws_security_group" "example" {
  name        = "example"
  description = "Example security group for ECS service"
  vpc_id      = aws_vpc.example.id
}

resource "aws_security_group_rule" "example" {
  security_group_id = aws_security_group.example.id

type        = "ingress"
  from_port   = local.container_port
  to_port     = local.container_port
  protocol    = "tcp"
  cidr_blocks = ["0.0.0.0/0"]
}

resource "aws_ecs_service" "example" {
  name            = "example-service"
  cluster         = aws_ecs_cluster.example.id
  task_definition = aws_ecs_task_definition.example.arn
  desired_count   = 1
  launch_type     = "FARGATE"

I guess there's a response limit, because it cut off the answer here.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I am starting to feel a hint of anxiety about this. The rate of progression and the people at the helm are not inspiring any confidence in me.

Yeah, this is both incredible and horrifying at the same time.

Regulation is gonna be a disaster. Dept of Commerce and others are trying to get ahead of it with very basic and vague suggestions and guidelines that don't really do anything; it's gonna be very slow going. AI ethicists are probably on the ball but that has to be effectively communicated to… everyone, including those who don't want to hear about it.

A lot of people in charge of shit like this have absolutely no idea what to make of it. I think it's bowled a whole lot of people over. It's an ethical clusterfuck waiting to happen (if it hasn't already) and that will have to be weighed against its undoubtedly significant benefits.

FirewalkR

Oct 27, 2017
London
Watched the live demo, crazy stuff!

We've been trying to use GPT-3.5/ChatGPT through the API at work for some relatively simple stuff for now, and it's still easy to reach its limitations. This should be quite better.

Bing was already noticeably superior to ChatGPT, I reckon it might be GPT-4 already, not sure if they actually acknowledged it.

At the same time I'm enthusiastic about this, I can't help but feel a certain degree of ... sheer dread about the future some 10/15 years from now, though. It's not just that (as a programmer) I see these systems taking away our jobs... I see them taking away every job that involves technology. I almost feel like it'll make humanity obsolete, and I'm not even sure if LLMs are a viable path towards AGI.

It's kind of unstoppable though, so... we just need to ride the wave and adapt I guess!

TheQueensOwn

Oct 27, 2017
It can be a bit buggy but it can also save a lot of time I think. I definitely cross-reference its answers if it's something I don't already know. I think it makes sense if you're using it for pretty boilerplate stuff that you'd just spend time writing out anyway.

I did a test asking it to generate some terraform code for ECS and ECR, at a glance it seems like a time saver, though I'd def go in and adjust a lot of it.

Code:
provider "aws" {
  region = "us-west-2"
}

locals {
  container_port = 80
}

resource "aws_ecr_repository" "example" {
  name = "example-repo"
}

resource "aws_ecs_cluster" "example" {
  name = "example-cluster"
}

resource "aws_iam_role" "ecs_execution_role" {
  name = "ecs_execution_role"

assume_role_policy = jsonencode({
    Version = "2012-10-17"
    Statement = [
      {
        Action = "sts:AssumeRole"
        Effect = "Allow"
        Principal = {
          Service = "ecs-tasks.amazonaws.com"
        }
      }
    ]
  })
}

resource "aws_iam_role_policy_attachment" "ecs_execution_ecr_policy" {
  policy_arn = "arn:aws:iam::aws:policy/AmazonEC2ContainerRegistryReadOnly"
  role       = aws_iam_role.ecs_execution_role.name
}

resource "aws_ecs_task_definition" "example" {
  family                   = "example-task-family"
  requires_compatibilities = ["FARGATE"]
  network_mode             = "awsvpc"
  cpu                      = "256"
  memory                   = "512"
  execution_role_arn       = aws_iam_role.ecs_execution_role.arn

container_definitions = jsonencode([
    {
      name  = "example-container"
      image = "${data.aws_caller_identity.current.account_id}.dkr.ecr.${var.region}.amazonaws.com/${aws_ecr_repository.example.name}:latest"
      portMappings = [
        {
          containerPort = local.container_port
          hostPort      = local.container_port
        }
      ]
    }
  ])
}

data "aws_caller_identity" "current" {}

resource "aws_vpc" "example" {
  cidr_block = "10.0.0.0/16"

tags = {
    Name = "example-vpc"
  }
}

resource "aws_subnet" "example_1" {
  cidr_block = "10.0.1.0/24"

tags = {
    Name = "example-subnet-1"
  }
}

resource "aws_subnet" "example_2" {
  cidr_block = "10.0.2.0/24"

tags = {
    Name = "example-subnet-2"
  }
}

resource "aws_security_group" "example" {
  name        = "example"
  description = "Example security group for ECS service"
  vpc_id      = aws_vpc.example.id
}

resource "aws_security_group_rule" "example" {
  security_group_id = aws_security_group.example.id

type        = "ingress"
  from_port   = local.container_port
  to_port     = local.container_port
  protocol    = "tcp"
  cidr_blocks = ["0.0.0.0/0"]
}

resource "aws_ecs_service" "example" {
  name            = "example-service"
  cluster         = aws_ecs_cluster.example.id
  task_definition = aws_ecs_task_definition.example.arn
  desired_count   = 1
  launch_type     = "FARGATE"

I guess there's a response limit, because it cut off the answer here.

You can ask it to complete it's previous response, starting at a specified point. You'll just have to be careful because it will sometimes change var names.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I'm also shocked by the code use. It's not great code, even the 25% that works isn't usually written from a readability/maintainability perspective. Plus on Stack I can see context and read over multiple answers.