• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad they didnt let the sound issues stop this release from happening. Not a big deal to me if I just need to mod Ice Cap music back in again.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
FUCK. FUCK. WHAT WAS WRONG WITH PAYING BUXER?

The others are whatever, but losing Icecap itself has me seeing red.

Last edited:

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Hope it means that it's a recreation as close to the original as they can legally get. I really love the OG Carnival Night Zone.

I don't really like Ice Cap Zone much, and Launch Base Zone was just OK, but I'd take them if I can get OG Carnival Night.

OP
OP
The Deleter

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Yeah as much as I understand the love for Ice Cap - it's an incredible piece - it never really vibed with me for the zone itself, either. But then the prototype track doesn't do anything for me either so I would have preferred if we kept the Hard Times 100%

Like this sounds a lot more fitting for a brisk breeze through an easy ice level, but it's so... generic?

Plus I legit do not enjoy the intro, even if PC ver fans say it lines up with the snowboard scene to perfection. Just doesn't sound right.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The way this is worded has me more confused.

It could mean there are samples within the tracks that they can't use, which I can see I guess. Launch Base has vocal samples.
It could also mean the tracks themselves can't be included, which is why they are using the original 1993 compositions (which might be why they are stressing these are the original tracks, not new).

If they really are replacing the problem songs outright, I would almost prefer some fresh new Tee Lopes ideas instead of the proto tracks. Launch Base proto is ok, but Ice Cap proto is an incredible downgrade.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Changing Carnival Night by removing the Jam sample, and Ice Cap by removing the "heys" would be simple enough (assuming Ice Cap is feasible in the first place). Launch Base is a tougher nut to crack - those "gos" are all over the song. Idk if you could swap them out 1:1 for something or write some new background melody to replace them.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing but I can always fire up the original on my Mega SG. Will have to treat this more as a remix rather than a definitive version.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
IIRC that's just the last three levels of 3, right? Carnival Night, Ice Cap, and Launch Base?

They already changed Knuckles' theme and the miniboss music in the original 3K

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I knew it would happen, oh well, someday we'll get a collection with original OST and I will wait for that to happen.
The Sonic Mega Collection was truly too good for us.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Will Denuvo allow for this game to be easily modded on PC? I'm doubtful but open to being corrected.

Honestly this is on Sega for playing fast and loose with how they contracted music for Sonic in the early 90's. They have to give Masato Nakamura a scratch on the back for any time they want to use the music of Green Hill or Chemical Plant in new product, and they put themselves in a fucking quagmire with getting Michael Jackson's production team involved with Sonic 3 without locking down the music. The end credits to Sonic 3 ended up as a commercially released track under a record label and Ice Cap was a commercially unreleased song by the composer's band right under their noses. Neither of those things would've happened if they exerted copyright control over what music was composed for Sonic 3, but here we are. They had to rip off the bandaid at some point, and anyone who says future rereleases of Sonic 3 should be held ransom by Sega's irresponsible legal decisions in 1993 because of their nostalgia can fuck right off. It's an amazing game and deserves to be played, if some music has to change it sucks but so be it.

Changing Carnival Night by removing the Jam sample, and Ice Cap by removing the "heys" would be simple enough (assuming Ice Cap is feasible in the first place). Launch Base is a tougher nut to crack - those "gos" are all over the song. Idk if you could swap them out 1:1 for something or write some new background melody to replace them.

Ice Cap is Hard Times. There's no way around that. They would've had to pony up to whatever Brad Buxer wanted and it seems evident that they didn't.

mtlspider

Oct 26, 2017
So, crush 40 cover of Hard Times, complete with vocals. Let's goooo.

Just kidding but it'll be hilarious nevertheless.

"Hard Times gone by... Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!" **guitar solo that goes extremely wild for no reason**

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
So this is the definitive version. Nice to hear it.

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018

The "gos" are from a sample of Run DMC so i'm not even sure what is not ok for Launch Base exept for the small Jam sample that could be easily replaced.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
They managed to finally give an answer while still being completely vague. I'm impressed.

OP
OP
The Deleter

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
I am BEGGING sega, please don't replace launch base, the proto forms for those are utter garbage

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
What songs were supposedly made by Michael Jackson? Ice Cap Zone?
From earlier in the thread Carnival Night Zone, Icecap Zone, Launch Base Zone, and the ending theme.

I think some were saying that the S3 Knuckles themes and Boss music also fall under this umbrella, but since lock on is forced in Origins it doesn't really matter.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
What songs were supposedly made by Michael Jackson? Ice Cap Zone?
Reportedly only the credits theme was directly composed by MJ, but the tracks by his team are:
  • Knuckles' Theme
  • Mini-Boss Theme
  • Carnival Night
  • Ice Cap
  • Launch Base
  • Credits
  • Competition Menu
Three of these already go unused in 3&K anyway, so it's just the zone themes and competition mode track that'll need replacements.

Frankly I think expecting anything but the promo tracks after the comments on stream is pure

tumblr_nj8ckzeWiT1u8ru71o1_250.gifv

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
From earlier in the thread Carnival Night Zone, Icecap Zone, Launch Base Zone, and the ending theme.

I think some were saying that the S3 Knuckles themes and Boss music also fall under this umbrella, but since lock on is forced in Origins it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the info. I loved Ice Cap Zone BGM from S3. I wonder what they will do...

OP
OP
The Deleter

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Reportedly only the credits theme was directly composed by MJ, but the tracks by his team are:
  • Knuckles' Theme
  • Mini-Boss Theme
  • Carnival Night
  • Ice Cap
  • Launch Base
  • Credits
  • Competition Menu
Three of these already go unused in 3&K anyway, so it's just the zone themes and competition mode track that'll need replacements.

Frankly I think expecting anything but the promo tracks after the comments on stream is pure

tumblr_nj8ckzeWiT1u8ru71o1_250.gifv
Turns out not even the credits theme was directly composed by him, Brad Buxer even stated he had "nothing in mind for it. Nothing" for Stranger in Moscow itself, outright:

Meanwhile Stranger in Moscow goes under MJ's credits entirely rather than Buxer's on the album itself due to the personal side of the story, and an amateur mistake on his part, as he told in a podcast 3 years ago:

(timestamp @ 49:00)

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
Is there another issue here with sample clearance rights? I know there were some Run-DMC samples in use in there (obviously compressed to hell but still)

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Why doesn't Michael Jackson let them use the music?

If you mean his estate, maybe it's a combination of $$$ and the rights situation being potentially complicated. According to Brad Buxer MJ did virtually nothing on the soundtrack, but Buxer and the rest of the team that came with him did. Ice Cap Zone's track is literally an (at the time) unpublished song from Buxer's old band. So the problem might be that in order to secure the rights to use the songs they'd have to get agreements with everyone involved as well as MJ's estate, and it's simply too expensive and/or too difficult to figure out who should be paid for what at this point.

Doesnt seem like there was a problem til he died. Must be the estate.

I think there was a problem before then. Remember that the original PC version used MIDI renditions of the beta tracks instead of the tracks written by MJ's team. Perhaps any release using the original ROM image (or sound data) was legally fine, but any rearrangement was forbidden.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell kind of contract did Sega make in the '90s where Jackson or his estate could potentially later claim content he didn't even want to be credited for anyway? It's so bizarre.