• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Your Name
Hunter x Hunter 2011
Yu Yu Hakusho
Konosuba
Log Horizon
March Comes In Like A Lion
Girlish Number
Madoka Magica
Psycho Pass Season 1
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Gunbuster 1 & 2
FLCL
Made in Abyss
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Kill La Kill
Kare Kano
Nichijou
Golden Boy
Escaflowne
Any of Satoshi Kon's films and Paranoia Agent
Revolutionary Girl Utena, Mawaru Penguindrum and Yuri Kuma Arashi
Ghost Stories (Dub)
Princess Principal

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I don't watch nearly as much anime as other poster but Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is my personal favorite anime series by a country mile. An amazing cast that's fully realized, great pacing with no filler/fat and a Cowboy Bebop-level English dub.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Movies:
Grave of the Fireflies
Akira
Princess Mononoke
Vampire Hunter D I and II
My Neighbor Totoro
Spirited Away (Heck, every studio Ghibli movie)
Your Name
Paprika
Perfect Blue
Ghost in the Shell
Jin Roh

Shows:
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Berserk (the 90's show, not the newer one)
One Punch Man
Elfen Lied
Fullmetal Alchemist
Trigun
Hellsing
FLCL
Sword Art Online
Naruto
Hunter X Hunter
InuYasha
Ruroni Kenshin
Dragon Ball Z (this is probably the most popular of all time, it's been running for ages so I'd advise watching other shows before you delve into it because it will literally take years to go through it if not longer).

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Movies:
Grave of the Fireflies
Akira
Princess Mononoke
Vampire Hunter D I and II
My Neighbor Totoro
Spirited Away (Heck, every studio Ghibli movie)
Your Name
Paprika
Perfect Blue
Ghost in the Shell
Jin Roh

Shows:
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Berserk (the 90's show, not the newer one)
One Punch Man
Elfen Lied
Fullmetal Alchemist
Trigun
Hellsing
FLCL
Sword Art Online
Naruto
Hunter X Hunter
InuYasha
Ruroni Kenshin
Dragon Ball Z (this is probably the most popular of all time, it's been running for ages so I'd advise watching other shows before you delve into it because it will literally take years to go through it if not longer).
I forgot to mention I've seen most of DBZ and bits of some of the other series that have aired on Toonami and Adult Swim, but haven't watched them since I was a kid.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haruhi Suzumiya will always hold a special place in my heart for destroying its fans over eight weeks with the Endless Eight saga. No other show she has had the courage to do that sort of legitimately hilarious fanbase destruction.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
TV shows: in my opinion, FMA: Brotherhood is pretty incredible from beginning to end. Some might not feel as strongly as I do, but I think the general consensus is that it's one of the best.

Movies: anything Studio Ghibli puts out is pure gold, they're simply legendary. I'd give the best-of-the-best award to Spirited Away, based solely on the fact that it won an Oscar for Best Animated Feature.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Movies:
Any from Studio Ghibli (My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service...)
Paprika
Perfect Blue
Ghost in the Shell
Akira

Series:
One Piece (it's really long but worth it, reading the manga is faster)
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Monster
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Hunter x Hunter
Kaiji
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
JoJo

Mangas:
20th Century Boys
Berserk
Vagabond
Ashita no Joe

I use this site to get recommendations: https://myanimelist.net/

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Gonna list a few personal favorites not previously mentioned.

Outlaw Star (Admittedly a bit cliche but a great sci-fi western/space opera for the plain old dumb fun of it. I might also just be super nostalgic for the old Toonami promos)

Black Lagoon

GANGSTA

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Tons of amazing stuff already recommended in this thread.

Paranoia Agent

maromi1.png
You are good people.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Aria
Planetes
Giant Robo

Wolf Children
Whisper of the Heart
Time of Eve
Millennium Actress

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Most of my answers have been said. Gonna double down on:

Movies:
Miyazaki films.
Grave of the Fireflies
Perfect Blue
Akira
Ghost in the Shell

Shows:
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Vision of Escaflowne
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My Hero Academia is something I would consider to be a great starter anime. The battle shonen genre (eg Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, One Piece, etc) is exceptionally popular even if people might not consider any shonen show to be the best of the best. I would consider My Hero Academia to be the most well executed show in the genre, currently. It's not going to blow your socks off or anything, it's kind of like "oh hey it's like X-Men but they're in high school and also there's no racism themes here", but it's very entertaining to watch and it doesn't fall into the same traps of lots of other shonen anime of just being full of pointless filler or dumb plot contrivances or whatever.

Cowboy Bebop manages to hit a perfect balance of being very appealing to both anime and non-anime fans and so it ranks very highly amongst Western anime fans. I really can't find any significant faults with it. Another great starter anime, especially if you're maybe looking for something more mature or classic than My Hero Academia.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is my absolute favorite anime of all time. Incredibly well put together production. Cyberpunk is my favorite genre because of both the intellectual aspects of it and just the coolness factor, and Ghost in the Shell simply has the most well thought out and complete cyperpunk universe ever created. Lots of its initial ideas predate the modern internet and yet still this series has never aged a single day. You can watch the series casually and just appreciate the craftmanship and individual scenes or you can watch it paying close attention to everything and absorb every single second of its incredibly intricate story. I can watch this show again and again and again and again and never get tired of it. The series works on so many different layers and executes so well in every possible sense that it's almost beyond perfect, as pretentious as that sounds. I've watched shows and movies where I can freely admit that I wouldn't change a single thing about them and yet Stand Alone Complex still exceeds them. It won't be a show for everybody but if something like it is in your wheelhouse it has my overwhelming endorsement.

Trigun is noteworthy to me because of Vash the Stampede. I absolutely adore the character and lots of other people do too.

Death Note is a very cool spin on a murder mystery/detective drama story. The series wobbles a bit when trying to stick the landing but there's still a lot of great moments.

FLCL is just batshit crazy. It's an incredibly unique and stylish experience to watch but don't go into it expecting it to make any lick of sense.

Steins;Gate is an excellent time travel story, one of the absolute best, but it is also heavily steeped in Japanese Otaku culture. Probably worth watching later if you wind up turning into a big anime fan.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Actually forgot to mention this one. You know when you were a kid and you got into a fight with another kid and you were like

"Screw you!"
"Screw you times two!"
"Screw you times ten!"
"Screw you times a thousand!"
"Screw you times a million!"
"Screw you times infinity!"
"Screw you times infinity plus one!"
"Screw you times infinity times infinity!"

That's Gurren Lagann.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of good answers here, somebody at work asked a similar question:

"What anime show would you rank above Batman TAS?"

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Eva sucks ass. One good anime comes out every decade or so.
Agree with the bolded. Eva is pretentious garbage.

Anyway, the answer is Kiki's Delivery Service. Ponyo as another mention.

And by far, my favorite, Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War In A Pocket. It's the only piece of media to ever make me actually cry at the end.

FirMatt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boston MA
Mushi-shi
Serial Experiments Lain
Perfect Blue
Your Name
Mob Psycho 100
Erased
Kill-la-Kill
Osomatsu-san
Durarara
Yuri!! On Ice
Kids on a Slope
Your Lie in April
Space Patrol Luluco
Michiko & Hatchin
Psycho-Pass
Cowboy Bebop (duh)
... and Attack on Titan, for the sheer spectacle (but fuck Eren omg)

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Cowboy Bebop (dub is a must), Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (feel free to skip the '03 version), Yu Yu Hakusho (make sure to go with the dub with this one, too), Macross Plus, Baccano, Trigun, Blood Blockade Battlefront, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex are some that come to mind. YMMV on ones like Witch Hunter Robin and Ergo Proxy, but I'd still like to recommend them (trying to stick with safer choices for the most part, so I'll stop here).

Hated Death Note, Gurren Lagann's ending was indeed a load of crap, was very disappointed in Michiko & Hatchin, and the Steins;Gate anime is nothing but a truncated and compromised version of the original visual novel's story omitting a great deal of the more interesting material. I'm liking Hunter x Hunter, but that didn't really get good until the Yorknew City arc.
While I was being cheeky, that movie's existence is honestly the only reason I even recommend the series to people tbh
I couldn't stand how the show ended, but personally loved Rebellion.

Last edited:

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
No Gintama mention?
Don't take any shit from folk who say it's just daft comedy, when it does serious and action it's right up there with the best of them. The comedy just helps you get invested and fond of the characters so the serious stuff has more impact when it does happen.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Haruhi Suzumiya will always hold a special place in my heart for destroying its fans over eight weeks with the Endless Eight saga. No other show she has had the courage to do that sort of legitimately hilarious fanbase destruction.
On the flip side, it also gave us one of the best movie...

I'd echo the Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, The Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Your Name as my main recommendations.
Though my favorite anime is Gintama, its long as hell and kinda hard to get into, especially if you're not already into the medium.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of good answers here, somebody at work asked a similar question:

"What anime show would you rank above Batman TAS?"
I don't know if it makes too much sense to directly compare Batman TAS to an anime TV series:

- Appreciation of TAS is bolstered by people's fondness/nostalgia for Batman, a character and a universe that's been around for decades and who is known by millions of people. Most anime don't have that kind of built-in audience or 'nostalgia' factor
- Related to the above, TAS doesn't have to invest any time "explaining" who the characters/what the world of the show are. They're free to just tell stories in a fiction that all the viewers already understand and have internalized. This gives the writers of TAS freedom to tell almost any kind of story they want. The same is rarely true in an anime series

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Any Yuasa show should fit the bill, i.e. Kaiba, Kemonozume, Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong and Devilman.

For movies I personally think Patlabor 2 is the de facto "this is an adult thing that deals with adult things in an adult way" anime movie.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Katanagatari

From the New World

The series Monster is an absolute masterpiece as well.

Hajime no Ippo

Ping Pong the Animation

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Shirobako

Etc. etc. etc.

Pfft, not with that wack ass ending

I loved it overall, but man....
Ending was great. Fitting end to the series.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought Evangelion sucks, so I dunno how much my recommendations would be worth. But below are the ones that I liked and remember being generally liked:

Series:
Monster
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
The Big O
El Hazard (some dislike the wanderers though)
One Piece
Nadia: The Secret Of Blue Water
Slam Dunk
Hajime no Ippo
Dragon Ball
Touch
Yawara!
GIntama
One Punch Man
Hunter X Hunter (1999 for me, a lot of people prefer the newer one though - I presume that has gotten further into the manga by now)
Maison Ikkoku - Rumiko Takahashi's other series (like Ranma, Urusei Yatsura) are all good, but some get pretty repetitive.

Is the 12ep Guyver series still looked at favourably? It used to be, but I don't hear anyone talk about it anymore.

Movies:
-pretty much all Ghibli stuff
Castle of Cagliostro
Ghost in the Shell

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017
Evangelion is actually the best imo, but I do also love Akira and the tier of movies below those two.

I can stomach series anime when it's fantastic, like with Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, Death Note (for a while), etc.