• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I was very excited for this remake, since Outcast is one of my favorite games of all time, but I ended up refunding it for now. There're too many bugs and performance issues, not to mention everything but the graphics are the same as the original. The game feels so low budget and visually inconsistent (the graphics are 15 years ahead the animations) that I really prefer playing the good old 1999 version.

I'll grab it later once it's patched and cheaper. The developers did a great job with the 1.1 re-release and I have no doubt they will eventually fix Second Contact.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Impressed
Outcast - Second Contact - Patch 1 released

Outcast - Second Contact has been updated. The first patch brings performance enhancements, crash fixes, additional options, improvements to jumping and more.

You can find the full list of changes below:

• Controls have been enhanced and inertia of movement lowered.
  • Constraints on jumping have been relaxed in some areas to avoid the occurrence of "invisible walls".
  • The responsiveness of jumps has been improved.
  • Slight adjustments to jumping behaviour when in air.
  • The triggering of dodge rolls has been adjusted in order to prevent interference with sprinting.
  • The contents of ammo boxes have been rebalanced.
  • A rare bug that could occur when purchasing the Magwa in Shamazaar has been fixed.
  • Fixed a bug that caused some characters (for example Zokrim) to get stuck in bodies of water, and sometimes blocking progression.
  • A display issue that caused Naarn to not properly display in some instances has been fixed.
  • Added a "vibrant colors" graphic mode. (Thanks to Dmity Andreev for this feature)
  • Implemented true full screen mode (as opposed to the default borderless windowed full screen) as an option in order to alleviate stuttering that appeared on some PC configurations.
  • A target frame rate option has been added.
  • Ultra-widescreen support (21:9) has been implemented.
  • Implemented automatic surround sound support, in cases where adequate hardware is detected.
  • Audio options with separate volume controls have been added to the options menu.
  • The audio mixing has been rebalanced.
  • Snowfall animation at high frame rates has been improved.
  • CPU usage has been optimized to allow for better frame rate when multiple characters appear on screen.
  • Multiple crash fixes, in particular when using Daokas, have been implemented.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tje last I know is tjat they failed to kickstart a remake.

Good to see they managed to end the remake.

I'll buy it since the original one was a masterpiece.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good changelog for the first patch, fixes about 99% of issues I've noticed straight away.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Really looking forward to getting this when it's been patched a couple of times. The original has been in my backlog for ages.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
This was incredible at the time, revolutionary even

the AI, the soundtrack and one of the first concept of open-world as today we know

bic

Oct 28, 2017
Now that I see there's an additional 30% discount if you own Outcast 1.1, I'm gonna buy Second Contact. At that price I'm more than willing to deal with some jank and other assorted rough edges.

SPCTRE

Oct 25, 2017
The OG Outcast was incredibly immersive, very impressive for its time. Incredible score, voice acting, believable NPCs.

One of the best German dubs of any game I have ever played. German Bruce Willis, baby!

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to hold out for a sale - even though the original game blew me away when it was published.

Outcast was the first game I ever played in which the world was '3D', and truly open. The water, in particular, was mind blowing. The game itself was both transporting and compelling - just an incredible, beautiful experience. A milestone game that has a very special place in my heart.

I'm reluctant to buy this, because recently I purchased the entire Infocom library for my iPad, and was surprised to discover that replaying the games actually hurt my memory of them. The Infocom text adventures of the 1980s were cutting edge titles, and to discover recently how lame some of them actually were was mildly upsetting - I spent hundreds of hours playing those games at the cost of socialization. I should've been out meeting girls on my Friday nights - not staying in my room playing Spellcaster.

Anyway, I'm surprised that the reviews have been so positive. And also to learn that so many other people were so charmed by this game -I hadn't realized that.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
SmĂĄland, Sweden
Love the original, and very clevely bought the remake for both the PS4 and PC. Already finished the game on the PS4 sunday evening, and enjoyed it very much.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
This game was THE GOAT back then. I'll surely pick it up as soon as my financial situation improves (it might take a while tho).

EDIT: nope. They're charging more than 140 Reais on the Brazilian Steam Store. One of the most expensive games there, and it's not even a 60 Dollar game. I'm out.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game was THE GOAT back then. I'll surely pick it up as soon as my financial situation improves (it might take a while tho).

EDIT: nope. They're charging more than 140 Reais on the Brazilian Steam Store. One of the most expensive games there, and it's not even a 60 Dollar game. I'm out.

I think you should contact the devs/publishers directly about this. That is some bullshit. No way they are going to sell copies at that price. Otherwise, I am sure it will reduce in price on a sale. Brazilian prices of games in general seem a disgrace from what I have picked up.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I remember being impressed when playing the original game back then. And really proud as well, since it was a game made in the small country I live in. That being said, I'm not sure how well the gameplay has aged. I see several positive reviews online, but some local reviews are rather negative about the controls etc.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
19 euros on Steam, I just bought it. Only played half an hour but seems to run well (60fps) and looks quite beautiful. Only the faces and models and animations are weak, but that is expected. I want to play Hellblade first, but then I will finally explore Adelpha.

outcast_2017_11_26_19xuxu9.png

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
I think you should contact the devs/publishers directly about this. That is some bullshit. No way they are going to sell copies at that price. Otherwise, I am sure it will reduce in price on a sale. Brazilian prices of games in general seem a disgrace from what I have picked up.
What happens is that historically PC games usually have regional prices more akin to our reality, while consoles are usually targeted to the higher classes. This causes some kind of mess where a PC game can be released at 100 Reais while the console version is released at 250 Reais. But recently some companies started to increase the price of the PC versions of their games, some even releasing them at the exact same price, which is the case of Outcast Second Contact, Song of the Deep and a few others.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Second patch is released:

Critical Fixes:
  • Fixed multiple crashes while shooting or travelling through Daokas.
  • Fixed several memory leaks possibly impacting stability and performance.
  • Fixed various pathfinding issues and stuck characters.

Gameplay Fixes:
  • Fixed an issue where Naarn would be missing (also fixed in existing saved games).
  • Fixed an issue where Illot would refuse to talk after being healed and where Shamaaz became stuck trying to heal Illot (also fixed in existing saved games).
  • Fixed an issue where Sadar would not propose to go back to Oru's Island as intended.
  • Fixed a pathfinding issue which would cause Zoran to become stuck.
  • Fixed an issue where Zine would not go to the crusher.
  • Fixed an issue where Zidar's friend would not talk when intended.
  • Fixed an issue with Shadi, whom would not play the tune or give back the map as intended.
  • Fixed an issue which would sometimes cause Kuryan to be missing.
  • Fixed an issue where Egar was stuck in water.
  • Fixed an issue where Zidar's boat would not return to the dock as intended.

Features/Improvements:
  • Players can now return to Zorkatraz.
  • Added support for multiple auto-saved slots (when slots are available).
  • Added F-Link telepod visualization in full screen map.
  • Added an option to disable Talan word definitions.
  • Added an option to disable dodge rolls.
  • Added a help screen displaying control mapping.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good, hopefully they will keep patching it so it is in as polished state as possible when I get to it.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I went ahead and bought this.

100 FPS on my Acer x34, and the game looks amazing. Graphically, the upgrade was better than anything I could have imagined.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
19 euros on Steam, I just bought it. Only played half an hour but seems to run well (60fps) and looks quite beautiful. Only the faces and models and animations are weak, but that is expected. I want to play Hellblade first, but then I will finally explore Adelpha.

outcast_2017_11_26_19xuxu9.png

This isn't even one of the best looking areas of the game. It's remarkable what the developer did with a game from 1999. Honestly, I know of no other game that has received such a dramatic overhaul.

It doesn't look like anyone's buying the game though. I think they might lose money on this. What a shame.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying the remake on PS4. Sure, it's clunky (it was back in '99, too) but there's still an awesome game in there. It's not for everyone, though. Compared to most modern games, it throws you into an overwhelming world and lets you slowly figure out how to advance. It's almost like a jigsaw puzzle. You find bits to complete at a time and eventually it all comes together.

DigitalDevil

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to play this with a controller in my ps4. I'm not sure I want to spend $40 to do it though. Loved it back in the day...

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started playing finally, on wednesday (I have flu, leave me alone) and finished it today morning, about 20 hours all in all.

I can see why this game was revolutionary. For 1999 it must have been fucking mindblowing back in the day, for those few people who could run it. It is like a prototype of all the (good) open world games that came later (from Gothic to Witcher 3).

Fun story and characters, great atmosphere and that music..it is just perfect.

Combat was super simple and easy, but it never became bothersome.

I am glad I bought it. Shame it sold few copies that even with extremely low budget of this remake, they probably lost a lot of money.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Started playing finally, on wednesday (I have flu, leave me alone) and finished it today morning, about 20 hours all in all.

I can see why this game was revolutionary. For 1999 it must have been fucking mindblowing back in the day, for those few people who could run it. It is like a prototype of all the (good) open world games that came later (from Gothic to Witcher 3).

Fun story and characters, great atmosphere and that music..it is just perfect.

Combat was super simple and easy, but it never became bothersome.

I am glad I bought it. Shame it sold few copies that even with extremely low budget of this remake, they probably lost a lot of money.

Glad you enjoyed it! It was indeed revolutionary for its time. It was a cinematic approach in a genre of gaming - open world action adventure/role playing - which was still pretty nascent. It really should have a wider fan base than it ended up with. In many ways it was a precursor to stuff like Mass Effect, but I maintain it was a more impressive experience for its time.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it! It was indeed revolutionary for its time. It was a cinematic approach in a genre of gaming - open world action adventure/role playing - which was still pretty nascent. It really should have a wider fan base than it ended up with. In many ways it was a precursor to stuff like Mass Effect, but I maintain it was a more impressive experience for its time.

Yep, it was years ahead of competiton back in the day. It sucks so hard that we will never get a high budget sequel.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the original but something about this games feels off. The voices sound muffled and really low budget. Will wait for reviews before buying.

This might be completely wrong, but I've got a recollection that either new VO was a stretch goal, so it might come later or not at all, or there was some other problem with the original code libraries (that they used) so either way they had to use the original voice acting, which is a ropey '90s affair.

Could be wrong though.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Hi era! I just got this game on my xbox one x for the bargain price of ÂŁ18! So much nostalgia for this.

Anyway my question is this. What is the performance of this on the X? Tried searching but cant see any numbers. Is it just 1080p or 2160p? 30fps?? Any help appreciated.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hi era! I just got this game on my xbox one x for the bargain price of ÂŁ18! So much nostalgia for this.

Anyway my question is this. What is the performance of this on the X? Tried searching but cant see any numbers. Is it just 1080p or 2160p? 30fps?? Any help appreciated.
No X enhancements, targets 30fps and is 1080p.

DigitalDevil

Oct 25, 2017
I got my copy for PS4 finally. So many great memories playing this game back in the day. It's one of the few PC games I actually held onto. I can't wait to play it again!

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't even one of the best looking areas of the game. It's remarkable what the developer did with a game from 1999. Honestly, I know of no other game that has received such a dramatic overhaul.

The thing, though. Outcast's graphics were mind blowing in 1999, sadly they cant repeat situation of jawdrop now.

qft

Outcast literally is the Crysis of 1999. Its engine (dubbed Paradise) did so much stuff that you only would see years laters with shader based cards. To name a few:

- Impressive AI
- A physical sun
- Dynamic water that ripples (Like the stuff you see in Crysis)
- God rays
- Lens flares
- Depth of field
- Motion blur

and so much more...

For anyone wanting to read up on the amazing tech, here is a few links:
http://www.fresh3d.com/outcast-1999
http://francksauer.com/index.php/15-games/published-games/47-outcast-pc