Oggmeiler

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I think that's correct. More specifically (and perhaps using in-game logic)
I think the timer stops when you power up the Vessel. Maybe not until you warp, but somewhere around there.

I think the timer stops first after you warp, I managed to power the Vessel and fuck up my coordinates and died.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Got this on Game Pass but I might need to buy it just to support the devs even more. What a unique and intriguing game.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Made some pretty solid progress this weekend! Not sure how many hours in (10ish? Maybe a bit more) and I've definitely started to piece together some environmental mysteries. I still don't have ANY idea what the end game run is supposed to be yet, or what I need to be working towards. But I have a few things on my "to-do" list that I need to check out tonight - hoping I can get some solid leads.

What a game. I wish more people were playing it.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Been playing blind and I'm pretty sure I've solved everything else EXCEPT
getting inside ash twin core/project

I've been stuck for a few days now.
On the rumor map it looks like I've filled everything else? I met solamnum, got the coordinates from giants deep, and found the vessel with the coordinate entry and it needs an advanced warp core to (I'm assuming) warp to the eye of the universe. I just need the advanced warp core which I'm PRETTY SURE is inside Ash Twin Core. I figure I'm either finding a crack in the core to slip in (Nomai Mines hint) Or I'm warping there either quantum or the receiver/tower relays.. don't think that's likely as the black hole forge is clearly the 6th receiver it hinted at when there are only 5 towers.

I'm gonna take a break. I have a few more ideas I have to try so I don't want any hints or the solution. I guess I just want to know if this is the most obtuse part for people too (of an otherwise amazing game).

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Howdy folks, quick one, about Ember Twin:

I'm in the cave with the skeleton of the Angler Fish, and I can see in the top of the room there is a scroll, but I cannot get up there. If I wait for the sand to rise, I always run out of oxygen, and I just can't get enough air to jump. Any suggestions?

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna take a break. I have a few more ideas I have to try so I don't want any hints or the solution. I guess I just want to know if this is the most obtuse part for people too (of an otherwise amazing game).
It was definitely the most obtuse part for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing blind and I'm pretty sure I've solved everything else EXCEPT
getting inside ash twin core/project

I've been stuck for a few days now.
On the rumor map it looks like I've filled everything else? I met solamnum, got the coordinates from giants deep, and found the vessel with the coordinate entry and it needs an advanced warp core to (I'm assuming) warp to the eye of the universe. I just need the advanced warp core which I'm PRETTY SURE is inside Ash Twin Core. I figure I'm either finding a crack in the core to slip in (Nomai Mines hint) Or I'm warping there either quantum or the receiver/tower relays.. don't think that's likely as the black hole forge is clearly the 6th receiver it hinted at when there are only 5 towers.

This was pretty much the last thing i did (other than actually finishing the game), and I'll just say that I massively overthought it and missed some clues in the rumour view.

Oct 28, 2017
I need some help on the Twin Planets.

"So I can get to the Sunless City, including the shortcut, though I still have unfinished business according to the log. As far as I can tell, the only thing I can't get into is a building on like the second level. I know there's alien text there, and from throwing a probe into the room I know there are two entrances. The front door is blocked by a cactus, the back door is open but I have no idea how to get inside. Anybody know how to get in?"

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I need some help on the Twin Planets.

"So I can get to the Sunless City, including the shortcut, though I still have unfinished business according to the log. As far as I can tell, the only thing I can't get into is a building on like the second level. I know there's alien text there, and from throwing a probe into the room I know there are two entrances. The front door is blocked by a cactus, the back door is open but I have no idea how to get inside. Anybody know how to get in?"

Im trying to remember the room

ia there sand falling from the ceiling? If so maybe you can fall through the holes the sand falls through

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018
Hello people, need some help with the final things to do in this awesome game
I already got the coordinates for the eye, get the core from ash twin and make my way to the vessel. I got there, put the coordinates, powe up the ship and a "black hole" appears and teleports me outside the ship. What is left for me to do? What I'm missing?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Hello people, need some help with the final things to do in this awesome game
I already got the coordinates for the eye, get the core from ash twin and make my way to the vessel. I got there, put the coordinates, powe up the ship and a "black hole" appears and teleports me outside the ship. What is left for me to do? What I'm missing?

Go outside into the eye of the universe, that's it.

Oggmeiler

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Ouch,and thats it? I always returned to the ship and re-enter the coordinates but never go outside. Thanks, will try again and see the ending

Hahaha I did the same thing first, you need to activate the ships warp first not the "small" black hole generator. After you make the ship warp you can activate the black hole and teleport to the eye.

Last edited:

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so now the game has crashed twice in a row when I get
eaten by an Angler Fish.
This is becoming annoying.

Oct 28, 2017
Damn amazing game but some of the puzzles are really obtuse, and I had to look up alot of stuff to beat this game. It makes me feel pretty stupid sometimes, but some of the puzzles are pure bullshit.

Tuxedotank

Jan 9, 2018
Just wrapped up and this is one of the most affecting games I've ever played. Really thought-provoking and beautiful game. Had some technical issues but they're negligible in the scope of the entire experience. This game is cozy and unknowable and provocative in all the best ways.

Oct 28, 2017
What puzzles did you find bullshit?

Well MASSIVE end game spoilers coming up below.

Biggest one is how to get into the Ash Twin Project. Like nothing really suggested that you have to go into the sand stream, it wasn't foreshadowed at all. Every other time before you had to look at the receiver in order to initiate the teleport. I would've been okay if the game expects you to realize that the broken tower leads to the Ash core and that you had to look down but for the life of me I struggle to see how you are expected to figure out the sand stream.

It also sucks that it was a MANDATORY quest for ending the game, and you had to wait like 10 minutes for an attempt. The angler fish sections were annoying too since even when you know how to avoid them you move way too damn slow. They could've easily made it alot simpler, something line maybe they're allergic to electricity and wouldn't attack sparking ships or something that doesn't require you to just wait alot.

Awake

Jan 27, 2019
Just finished this and i'm feeling sad as it's unlikely i'll ever find a game quite like it again. The sense of exploration and discovery is amazing. My game of the year, so far.

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished this and i'm feeling sad as it's unlikely i'll ever find a game quite like it again. The sense of exploration and discovery is amazing. My game of the year, so far.

If you haven't tried it Subnautica scratches much of the same itch, though a bit more mechanically challenging with its survival elements and with an actual tech tree of sorts. Obra Dinn is also great for that sense of slowing peeling back a mystery.

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018
Okay so now the game has crashed twice in a row when I get
eaten by an Angler Fish.
This is becoming annoying.
I have the same issues on Xbox One X in those cases and when entering
the eye of the universe
make my console crash to the dashboard.

Already finished the game, is an amazing experience and adventure. One of the best games of this year. Now looking to do some missing achievements

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
I'm surprised how quickly I got to the Ash Twin core seeing how many seem to be saying how obtuse it is. The first thing I thought of was the teleport towers, and when I noticed the Ash Twin tower has two teleporters, standing over the second broken one seemed like an obvious first step of experimentation. I failed on my first attempt, but I could still see the teleporter attempting to work which pretty much provided what I needed to figure it out. There was a couple of other earlier puzzles that I spent way longer trying to figure out that I'm sure some got immediately, so I don't think it's too bullshit, everyone just has different brains.

My dumbest moment (or biggest waste of time) was becoming convinced that to get into the quantum tower I had to slingshot around the blackhole to gain enough height and momentum to get onto the upper grav wall. I must have splatted into that tower 4 or 5 times before I spotted the tower falling into the black hole and it clicked. I kinda wish there was an area that required a blackhole slingshot though cos it's a cool idea, but also jumping down and orbiting it at full speed is scary as hell

erd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised how quickly I got to the Ash Twin core seeing how many seem to be saying how obtuse it is. The first thing I thought of was the teleport towers, and when I noticed the Ash Twin tower has two teleporters, standing over the second broken one seemed like an obvious first step of experimentation. I failed on my first attempt, but I could still see the teleporter attempting to work which pretty much provided what I needed to figure it out. There was a couple of other earlier puzzles that I spent way longer trying to figure out that I'm sure some got immediately, so I don't think it's too bullshit, everyone just has different brains.

My dumbest moment (or biggest waste of time) was becoming convinced that to get into the quantum tower I had to slingshot around the blackhole to gain enough height and momentum to get onto the upper grav wall. I must have splatted into that tower 4 or 5 times before I spotted the tower falling into the black hole and it clicked. I kinda wish there was an area that required a blackhole slingshot though cos it's a cool idea, but also jumping down and orbiting it at full speed is scary as hell
For me, the ash Twin Puzzle feels bad because there's really nothing that hints at the solution. I got stuck at plenty of other things, but for each of those I could ignore them for a while, go explore elsewhere and eventually get enough hints to solve them. For the Ash Twin, the extra hints just make it harder to solve since you learn that the teleporters activate when the target celestial body is directly overhead, which is true for every one of them except for the Ash Twin one (I think). There's a single hint that relates to the solution, but it's pretty much just stating the obvious. It's the only puzzle in the game that made me go "How was I supposed to figure this out without just randomly trying stuff?" since everything else has some really nice hits guiding you to the correct solution.

If you haven't tried it Subnautica scratches much of the same itch, though a bit more mechanically challenging with its survival elements and with an actual tech tree of sorts. Obra Dinn is also great for that sense of slowing peeling back a mystery.
Interestingly enough, I've actually just started playing Subnautica a couple of days ago because a bunch of people said it's sort of similar. I've been enjoying it a lot but it also made me realize just how wonderfully compact Outer Wilds is. In Subnautica, I've had sessions where I played the game for two hours and haven't really made any worthwhile progress. In Outer Wilds, the game is designed so that you're finding cool stuff pretty much non-stop. Thinking about it, I don't remember ever playing any game with a focus on exploration that was so absolutely filled with awesome things to discover.

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
For me, the ash Twin Puzzle feels bad because there's really nothing that hints at the solution. I got stuck at plenty of other things, but for each of those I could ignore them for a while, go explore elsewhere and eventually get enough hints to solve them. For the Ash Twin, the extra hints just make it harder to solve since you learn that the teleporters activate when the target celestial body is directly overhead, which is true for every one of them except for the Ash Twin one (I think). There's a single hint that relates to the solution, but it's pretty much just stating the obvious. It's the only puzzle in the game that made me go "How was I supposed to figure this out without just randomly trying stuff?" since everything else has some really nice hits guiding you to the correct solution.
Ember Twin is overhead though, that's why you have to deal with the ash tornado to get to the core. It works like any other teleporter in the game, but the glass roof is broken so there's nothing to protect you. Teleportation seemed like the simplest solution to get to the core to me, so the Ash Twin tower was the first place I looked. Like I said, I don't fault anyone for not figuring it out because I've been there with other puzzles, but I don't think the solution was too bad. Though I agree having to wait for the tower to unbury each run tested my patience.

erd

Oct 25, 2017
Ember Twin is overhead though, that's why you have to deal with the ash tornado to get to the core. It works like any other teleporter in the game, but the glass roof is broken so there's nothing to protect you. Teleportation seemed like the simplest solution to get to the core to me, so the Ash Twin tower was the first place I looked. Like I said, I don't fault anyone for not figuring it out because I've been there with other puzzles, but I don't think the solution was too bad. Though I agree having to wait for the tower to unbury each run tested my patience.
The core is inside Ash Twin though, isn't it? That's why I never considered that the teleporter would have to face Ember Twin. Maybe I just missed the explanation for why that teleporter works the way it does (thinking about it more, the explanation that it's just connected to the Ember Twin teleporter and fires at the same time would make perfect sense), but when I first came across it my logic was "well, I guess it just leads to some random spot on Ember Twin that I don't need to get to right now" so I just kind of completely forgot about it. The whole planetary alignment thing made me think the teleporter must be on another planet, which obviously led to a lot of wasted time.

It's not a huge deal for me and I feel the puzzle is still perfectly solvable but it does feel a bit "underdeveloped" considering how many nice hints the other puzzles have, which is probably why it's the one I've seen the most people complaining about.

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
The core is inside Ash Twin though, isn't it? That's why I never considered that the teleporter would have to face Ember Twin. Maybe I just missed the explanation for why that teleporter works the way it does (thinking about it more, the explanation that it's just connected to the Ember Twin teleporter and fires at the same time would make perfect sense), but when I first came across it my logic was "well, I guess it just leads to some random spot on Ember Twin that I don't need to get to right now" so I just kind of completely forgot about it. The whole planetary alignment thing made me think the teleporter must be on another planet, which obviously led to a lot of wasted time.

It's not a huge deal for me and I feel the puzzle is still perfectly solvable but it does feel a bit "underdeveloped" considering how many nice hints the other puzzles have, which is probably why it's the one I've seen the most people complaining about.
It makes sense that it would be the core of Ash Twin given the name of the project, so yeah I guess you're right then that it takes an extra leap of logic given that all other teleporters go up rather than down. And also I can see that it could probably do with another hint given that I stumbled upon the solution based on my own hunch and not something the game outright hinted at.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I will say, removing the warp core, realizing what that meant RE: time looping, and not knowing where to put it yet was a good panic moment. I hastily ran back inside and put it back, lol. (I haven't gone to the Vessel yet, so I assume that's where I need to take it.)

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all, I'm stuck. There are a couple things I have to do that I have no idea on. Can anybody give me any advice on any one of them? My assumption is that, in solving one, they will domino a little bit.

Here's where I'm at: I've discovered the probe tracking module and the control module. The game appears to be pushing me towards the Twins, but I feel like I still have so much I haven't wrapped up.

How do I get onto the Quantum Moon? I've gotten the shuttle, but it just takes me out into the middle of space.

How do I get into the part of the Cannon that only my probe can get into? I think it's the part marked with the 1 symbol.

What else do I need to discover at the White Hole Station?

Why did firing my probe into the bramble seed on Timber Hearth not check that off on my knowledge map?

How the heck do I get into the Tower of Quantum Knowledge?

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all, I'm stuck. There are a couple things I have to do that I have no idea on. Can anybody give me any advice on any one of them? My assumption is that, in solving one, they will domino a little bit.

Here's where I'm at: I've discovered the probe tracking module and the control module. The game appears to be pushing me towards the Twins, but I feel like I still have so much I haven't wrapped up.

How do I get onto the Quantum Moon? I've gotten the shuttle, but it just takes me out into the middle of space.

How do I get into the part of the Cannon that only my probe can get into? I think it's the part marked with the 1 symbol.

What else do I need to discover at the White Hole Station?

Why did firing my probe into the bramble seed on Timber Hearth not check that off on my knowledge map?

How the heck do I get into the Tower of Quantum Knowledge?

To answer your first, fourth, and fith questions

1. The answer is in the north pole of giants deep.
4. It'll check it off when you eventually get to where your probe went.
5. I accessed it after it passed through the white hole

Sorry i dont remember the cannon and the white hole station is one of my last unfinished areas

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
To answer your first, fourth, and fith questions

1. The answer is in the north pole of giants deep.
4. It'll check it off when you eventually get to where your probe went.
5. I accessed it after it passed through the white hole

Sorry i dont remember the cannon and the white hole station is one of my last unfinished areas
Thank you!!!

North Pole of Giant's Keep? Where am I supposed to find that information?

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you!!!

North Pole of Giant's Keep? Where am I supposed to find that information?

I don't remember if the tower's location is mentioned elsewhere but I found it just cuz I wanted to see what was inside the giant storm lol also most of the planets points of interest are at the poles and rhe equators.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game. One of my favourite games in the last few years. I haven't been this captivated by the creativity, world design, puzzles... just everything in a long time. I cheated a few times, just getting a hint here and there, but I didn't think it ruined my experience. Just pushed me to look at something in a different way. I'm a little sad it's over.

Anothing thing. So many people are sleeping on this. I've had a few friends scoff at being on Xbox but not PS4 and some refuse to buy it because it's not on Steam. Another who has a good PC but is annoyed by "secret deals with epic and MS". Just... stop. Play it now.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game. One of my favourite games in the last few years. I haven't been this captivated by the creativity, world design, puzzles... just everything in a long time. I cheated a few times, just getting a hint here and there, but I didn't think it ruined my experience. Just pushed me to look at something in a different way. I'm a little sad it's over.

Anothing thing. So many people are sleeping on this. I've had a few friends scoff at being on Xbox but not PS4 and some refuse to buy it because it's not on Steam. Another who has a good PC but is annoyed by "secret deals with epic and MS". Just... stop. Play it now.

Same here. Just finished it up and the flow of the game is unlike pretty much any I've ever played. For no combat, there certainly is a lot of play with physics and danger and lots of concepts that are pretty unique in gaming. The idea of being essentially in a giant clock with intricate parts that moves and changes and ticks down and doesn't really care that you're even there is pretty damn cool.

I also had to look up one or two little hints, but was happy that I was generally on the right path every time that I did.

This game is highly worth it and for its creativity alone it should definitely be in the running for GOTY. Though it's not really the same mechanically and doesn't dive as deep philosophically, as an experience it reminds my quite a bit of my other all time favorite games, The Witness. There are so many moments in both where you have to think a little out of the box, but once you understand the rules, it all clicks in the most satisfying way.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember if the tower's location is mentioned elsewhere but I found it just cuz I wanted to see what was inside the giant storm lol also most of the planets points of interest are at the poles and rhe equators.

One last question:

How do I get into the giant storm? Every time I try to fly in, I bounce off. Do I have to go through the underwater world? Like, go through the counterclockwise tornado and then emerge on the North Pole facing side?

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Accidentally stumbling across the way to access the quantum tower actually blew my mind. So much imagination in this game, it's great.

This happened to me tonight and it was fantastic. I was just floating about you-know-where when I realized what all these rocks were and what that structure was.

And then I ran out of air, lol. Had to properly explore on the next loop.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all, I'm going crazy over here:

I'm on the Quantum Moon, having gotten there through the tower (sanctuary), and the sanctuary says I'm on the twins. Still, the giant rock all the way around the planet prevents me from getting to the North Pole. What am I missing? Is it something to do with the shuttle? How the heck do I get to the North Pole so I can travel to the sixth location?

SpaceKangaroo

Oct 28, 2017
Y'all, I'm going crazy over here:

I'm on the Quantum Moon, having gotten there through the tower (sanctuary), and the sanctuary says I'm on the twins. Still, the giant rock all the way around the planet prevents me from getting to the North Pole. What am I missing? Is it something to do with the shuttle? How the heck do I get to the North Pole so I can travel to the sixth location?
Try travelling to the other planets and using the tower warp point on them until you work your way North.