• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ExReey

Oct 27, 2017
The probe and entire Ash Twin Project has been sitting dormant for millions of years. We're at the end of the universe, the sun naturally goes supernova which triggers the Ash Twin Project failsafe -- the warpcore at the core of Ash Twin opens a blackhole to send data back in time 22 minutes (you can actually watch this happen if you stand in the core while the supernova occurs). This data tells the probe to fire, and the memory statues to activate. Every time this loop occurs the data adjusts to tell the probe to look somewhere else and it does this over 9000 times until the eye is found. Then you stand in front of a statue and your memories become part of the data sent back, keeping you aware that you're in the loop.

I don't think The Interloper caused the sun to explode. It goes into the sun because the sun is already in the process of going supernova, and it expands into its orbit. The Interlopers energy was already released millions of years ago -- the ghost matter which killed the Nomai.

Great, thanks!

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
patch for pc version released:

PATCH RELEASE!
6/20/2019
1 COMMENT
We're excited to announce that we've released a patch for both the Xbox and Epic platforms! The update should be available across both platforms by 7PM PST.

Here's what made it in:

Patch Notes (relatively spoiler-free)
PC Fixes & Improvements
  • Additional input devices will no longer take control from the active controller unless a brand new input is made
  • Improved some 3rd party wireless controller compatibility (We're working on providing additional support for more controllers in future patches.)
  • If the game can't match the language of the user's Operating System, it will now default to English instead of an invalid language option
  • Improved reliability of save system
Overall Fixes & Improvements
  • Fixed unintended signalscope behavior in a certain area
  • Fixed players getting stuck on geometry on a certain island in Giant's Deep
  • Small tweaks to Ash Twin level design
  • Fixed missing line of text in English ("813")
  • Fixed the player ship's notification console inconsistently reporting damage locations
  • Fixed the player ship not updating fragment integrity
  • Fixed the player ship not being affected by certain electrical forces
  • Fixed a memory leak
  • Missable Gabbro ship log entry involving a statue is no longer required for "Archaeologist" achievement
  • Additional VFX/lighting for certain objects
  • Fixed props not appearing properly in certain ships
If you experience other bugs that you don't see on this list, please contact:

[email protected]

Oct 27, 2017
While I don't think you're incorrect on any of that, it seems a bit odd to have The Interloper exist at all then and include some flavor about it's power potential of the core. It also feels a bit too coincidental that the sun supernova's right after The Interloper hits it. Maybe it just causes it to accelerate rapidly? Maybe the result of every other star blowing up is other versions of "The Interloper" created by the eye for some reason? I'm not too sure really.

I think the potential of the interloper core was already released and spread the dark matter throughout the galaxy and that is what killed off a lot of the Noami. What you see on the interloper is just what is left of the core. I'm not sure when in the Noami/Hearthian timeline this happens though. Like did they get killed off long ago and the Hearthian have only recently evolved and established themselves? That would make sense with the ghost matter showing up in some of the Noami ruins. I don't remember what they say about ghost matter on Timber Hearth in regards to whether it is new or not. The sun is already supernova-ing and the interloper only hits it as the sun is expanding.

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
I think the potential of the interloper core was already released and spread the dark matter throughout the galaxy and that is what killed off a lot of the Noami. What you see on the interloper is just what is left of the core. I'm not sure when in the Noami/Hearthian timeline this happens though. Like did they get killed off long ago and the Hearthian have only recently evolved and established themselves? That would make sense with the ghost matter showing up in some of the Noami ruins. I don't remember what they say about ghost matter on Timber Hearth in regards to whether it is new or not. The sun is already supernova-ing and the interloper only hits it as the sun is expanding.
The Nomai have been dead for hundreds of thousands of years at the start of the game, if not longer. I believe the exact amount of time is stated in the Sun Station, but I don't remember off hand. This also means that the Interloper has been in a stable orbit around the sun for that long, so it doesn't make sense for it to suddenly hit the sun out of nowhere. I'm with the people who think the sun is going supernova just because it's reached the natural end of its lifespan.

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
I'm guessing they died the first time the interloper orbited the sun. "We're putting the Ash Twin Project on pause to go and inspect a new comet" is pretty much the last piece of writing in their timeline, and given that the ice melts when it gets close I'd bet that's when the pressure inside was released.

As for the Hearthians evolution, there's a cool bit of writing underground on Timber Hearth if you fall into one of the geisers about a Nomai finding a small 4 eyed creature in the pool and pondering the civilisation it might evolve to produce (also briefly touched on in the mine where they discuss leaving enough material for future species to use).

Edit: This is confirmed in the Timber Hearth observatory at the very end of the game (as well as the sun dying naturally)

zkJMVnF.jpg

gz2KJGl.jpg

Last edited:

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on Giant's Deep and

I can't for the life of me get into the core. I know what to do. I'm stuck at the jellyfish part. I just CANT get inside one, with my ship or without it, I keep getting shocked.

I looked into the patch notes from the last patch and it says among other things:

So am I just stuck now?

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on Giant's Deep and

I can't for the life of me get into the core. I know what to do. I'm stuck at the jellyfish part. I just CANT get inside one, with my ship or without it, I keep getting shocked.

I looked into the patch notes from the last patch and it says among other things:

So am I just stuck now?

Swim into the jellyfish when it's completely out of the core from the bottom all the way to the top. Then wait until the jellyfish goes into the core and you should be able to safely swim out the bottom.

My guess is you gotta make sure you're going from the very bottom, all the way to the top?

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Swim into the jellyfish when it's completely out of the core from the bottom all the way to the top. Then wait until the jellyfish goes into the core and you should be able to safely swim out the bottom.

My guess is you gotta make sure you're going from the very bottom, all the way to the top?
Yeah that was it. Video guides on the old patch all made it seem like you could do it from the side.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
So far this game is my goty.

It's incredible. So much care put into it's handcrafted environments and it's non-linear storytelling. There's just an amazing sense of discovery in every playthrough.

Oh, and the atmosphere, God, this game scared the shit out of me the first time I went to Giant's Deep or into Dark Bramble.

I really want to finish it today cause if it takes me any longer I know I might stumble upon ending spoilers.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
This game is incredible. Really enjoyed it although I did frustrated at some stuff towards the end. The main thing I loved is how the imagination that went into the planets. Each time you discover something new it's a great feeling.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This game is really something special. Got it from watching something on Mixer last year, and never would have expected it to end up being one of my favourite games this year.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Did anybody go in knowing nothing like I did? I heard Vinny recommend it on the Beastcast cast... Was doing other things and only really heard him say it does what he kind of hoped NMS would do for him and that it was on GP. That's really all I knew... Had no idea about the loop or anything. Really glad I played it that way. The first few hours is surprise after surprise.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck I'm 6 hours in and just discovered how to actually use the jetpack...

Also, keep finding this little radio satellite near the sun, that you can autopilot to, but cannot interact with. Also, that blue probe that fires from Giant's Deep at the beginning of the loop, I flew to it and couldn't interact with it either. Are either of these things of any use?

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
The devs haven't said anything about it coming to other platforms have they? I could get it on PC but I'd rather get it on a console (that I own).

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm misunderstanding something about the ending
I understand that they were trying to trigger the supernova to generate enough energy to go back in time 22 minutes... But what was the plan after that? Isn't the loop based on the supernova triggering at the beginning of it? Wouldn't they be stuck in the same loop?

EDIT:
Oh wait... I guess the loop is happening because the sun is exploding on its own, so that is not changing. It's like a bug although the mention that happening but I guess they didn't think about the fact that the loop wouldn't end.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite games ever honestly.

I understand that they were trying to trigger the supernova to generate enough energy to go back in time 22 minutes... But what was the plan after that? Isn't the loop based on the supernova triggering at the beginning of it? Wouldn't they be stuck in the same loop?

EDIT:
Oh wait... I guess the loop is happening because the sun is exploding on its own, so that is not changing. It's like a bug although the mention that happening but I guess they didn't think about the fact that the loop wouldn't end.

That was my understanding as well, in your edit. It provides a real bait and switch in terms of overall story motivations before and after you figure out that
they aren't dooming your star system during each loop. Your star is doomed and you have to be the one to end the cycle, but you could stay in the loop forever, forever satiating your curiosity like the Nomai did. Letting go and seeing what's next was an extremely powerful moment for me.

Did anybody go in knowing nothing like I did? I heard Vinny recommend it on the Beastcast cast... Was doing other things and only really heard him say it does what he kind of hoped NMS would do for him and that it was on GP. That's really all I knew... Had no idea about the loop or anything. Really glad I played it that way. The first few hours is surprise after surprise.

I did this as well, the first
supernova caught me extremely off guard and I didn't even understand it was a supernova at first. Just something locally exploding maybe. Then I kept dying to the environment. Eventually I happened to be looking at the sun as it went and I felt like this existential terror well up as I understood what that meant.

Last edited:

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Achievements bugged in this? Done a couple but they won't unlock? Also so far flying sucks

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea about this game until the Edge 9. It's on Gamepass so it's a must play this year for me. No excuses. I'm just trying to get through Spiderman, then Judgement. That should keep me busy, I'll jump onto Outer Wilds then. I think Gears 5 and Death Stranding are the only other games I want to play this year.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Totally new to this. Is there a way to dock/attach your spacecraft to something so that it doesn't go flying off when you get out?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was it. Video guides on the old patch all made it seem like you could do it from the side.

I'm still having issues. I keep getting zapped away. Wonder if there are any videos of the new patch version. I feel like an idiot

Nvm. Doing some research it seems liky you gotta exit the ship now.

Last edited:

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The final song around the campfire with everyone is a top ten moment in videogames, it is singularly beautiful in a way I can't describe and shows off what videogames can do as a medium.

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK

EDIT:
Their initial plan was to get stuck in the loop, wait for the probe cannon to fire thousands of times in the loop until it finds the eye, then go to the eye. But the sun station failed to cause a supernova, and they all got killed by ghost matter so the project stayed dormant until the sun naturally expired. The memory statues were their solution for getting stuck in the loop, so that even in the case of an accidental loop trigger anybody who stands in front of an active statue will become aware of the loop and be able to stop it (by removing the warp core at Ash Twin).

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Tried this out for few hours thanks to game pass. It's "Neat". But to be totally honest I don't find it very fun to play. Not really my cup of tea.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
late game-ish question: are there any punishments for failing to take the warp core to the other place? based on what they said would happen if the warp core was removed, and based on how the universe works, it seems like you might only get one shot at transporting the core?

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
late game-ish question: are there any punishments for failing to take the warp core to the other place? based on what they said would happen if the warp core was removed, and based on how the universe works, it seems like you might only get one shot at transporting the core?
Technically yes. If you fail you get a credits roll/game over type of screen implying you failed and ruined the time loop. But the game is forgiving enough to just put you back right before you did that so you don't suffer any real or lasting consequences. Which is great because the final run is quite difficult and requires some precision.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Technically yes. If you fail you get a credits roll/game over type of screen implying you failed and ruined the time loop. But the game is forgiving enough to just put you back right before you did that so you don't suffer any real or lasting consequences. Which is great because the final run is quite difficult and requires some precision.
Ah ok cool, just wanted to make sure that I didn't need to backup my save before attempting. Thanks

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Now that I'm through, this is the best game I've played this year and I'm pretty sure it will stay that way until the end of the year.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I'm trying very hard to get into this game. I've played many many cycles over and over again, and I know there is a moment when
the sun goes supernova
but I haven't reached it yet because I keep dying. Am I doing something wrong? What am I suppose to be doing exactly? I always have trouble with games that give me little direction but I really want to like this game, space exploration is sort of my jam.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying very hard to get into this game. I've played many many cycles over and over again, and I know there is a moment when
the sun goes supernova
but I haven't reached it yet because I keep dying. Am I doing something wrong? What am I suppose to be doing exactly? I always have trouble with games that give me little direction but I really want to like this game, space exploration is sort of my jam.
No, you're not doing anything wrong. Just try to explore things, and if you're on a planet and don't know where else you could go on it, just visit something else. The rumor mode in your ship log is great to lead you to things you haven't seen at some point anyway. That you don't do full loops till the supernova isn't really a bad thing, you'll get to that at some point when you're more familiar with things.

If I had to say what "you're supposed to be doing": Find out what happened to the Nomai. There really isn't more to it.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
the sun goes supernova

This strikes me as odd, do you mean you keep dying from other circumstances, or... ? I mean, do you mean you haven't actually kept an eye on the spoiler event you mentioned at all? (Which is fine, just wondering whether your phrasing indicates a misunderstanding here.)

It's not unusual to die from lack of oxygen, impact or millions of other horrible possibilities instead, space can be a dangerous place after all. It's not about surviving long enough, it's about making the best of the time that you are given before this happens anyway.

How filled out is your exploration log in your ship at the moment, do you have a specific planet where you can't get to a place you assume is there, or anything else you need a specific tip with?
What you're supposed to be doing is explore the universe. Is there a planet or something that caught your eye? Someone mention an interesting story or person? You should try looking into it, and see where it leads you.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
And yeah, as the poster above said, if there's a specific thing you're stuck with and want solved just ask here. There were a handful of things I had to look up too.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
No, you're not doing anything wrong. Just try to explore things, and if you're on a planet and don't know where else you could go on it, just visit something else. The rumor mode in your ship log is great to lead you to things you haven't seen at some point anyway. That you don't do full loops till the supernova isn't really a bad thing, you'll get to that at some point when you're more familiar with things.

If I had to say what "you're supposed to be doing": Find out what happened to the Nomai. There really isn't more to it.
This strikes me as odd, do you mean you keep dying from other circumstances, or... ? I mean, do you mean you haven't actually kept an eye on the spoiler event you mentioned at all? (Which is fine, just wondering whether your phrasing indicates a misunderstanding here.)

It's not unusual to die from lack of oxygen, impact or millions of other horrible possibilities instead, space can be a dangerous place after all. It's not about surviving long enough, it's about making the best of the time that you are given before this happens anyway.

How filled out is your exploration log in your ship at the moment, do you have a specific planet where you can't get to a place you assume is there, or anything else you need a specific tip with?
What you're supposed to be doing is explore the universe. Is there a planet or something that caught your eye? Someone mention an interesting story or person? You should try looking into it, and see where it leads you.

Okay, first, I didnt realize there was a rumor mode on my ship. Thanks for that, and yeah I seem to be having issues with just staying alive. I can control my ship worth shit so I bang into things a lot and drift into dangerous areas. I guess this is one of those things I have to get good at. I fly around, visit the other explorers, they have interesting stories and then I just fly off somewhere else and usually die.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me who is like... uniquely terrified when playing this game? Like it's stressing me out playing this even though there are honestly no real 'stakes' haha.

Shows how effective the game is in terms of atmosphere.

Still wish the game ran better though. Feel like there are no settings to poke at that I can get a solid 4k 60 with my 2080 setup.

btw: what am I suppose to repair when my ship is beeping? I fly around my ship and just can't seem to find anything to fix in time before it blows up.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Okay, first, I didnt realize there was a rumor mode on my ship. Thanks for that, and yeah I seem to be having issues with just staying alive. I can control my ship worth shit so I bang into things a lot and drift into dangerous areas. I guess this is one of those things I have to get good at. I fly around, visit the other explorers, they have interesting stories and then I just fly off somewhere else and usually die.

Most people get better at flying once they understand that they can rotate the ship (it's the "roll" function they teach you during zero-g-training in the cave) and how to use both auto-pilot and the auto-speed adjusting. There should be a button "Match Speed" which helps you approach targets even when they are moving.
Try the zero g cave on Timber Hearth, the controls you get taught there are similar to what you do while on your ship.
To be fair, you WILL still bang your ship into things anyway, so don't worry too much about becoming a pro pilot. And there are a LOT of dangerous areas. Keep at it, and try some more buttons to fully realize the controls, or explore Timber Hearth a bit more for helpful tips there.
I think the ship log will be able to direct you into some interesting directions once you get the hang of it a bit more. It's always hardest to land on a planet and OH GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING for the first time, but once you know what to expect, you'll get better at navigating space in no time.

btw: what am I suppose to repair when my ship is beeping? I fly around my ship and just can't seem to find anything to fix in time before it blows up.

That sounds like the nuclear core, I think you better just abandon ship at that point.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this game is wonderful. Finished it a few days ago after going for the Archeology achievement (since I ended up wanting to see everything in there) and I'm so glad people are checking it out. There is a sense of exploration and wonder that I really appreciated as I dug deeper into the solar system. Especially in the early hours, getting into the ship and going to a new world was each time a thrill of discovery. Flying around trying to piece together the story of the Nomai and what was going on was fun, the Rumor Map was a smart way to lay it out.

My only complaint about the game is that it hides the "meditate until next cycle" option behind some dialogue with the dude on Giant's Deep. It fits thematically but it would have been nice to have that earlier (since having to quit the game and Resume is awkward).

The first world I went to was Giant's Deep with trying to maneuver around the tornadoes, then I found Brittle Hollow and went "oh crap there's a fucking black hole there aaaand I just fell in". Each place has something wonderfully unique to find, and it makes such good use of the time loop to keep that exploration fresh. Realizing that the Nomai failed with their quest for meaning with finding the Eye and subsequently mostly all died when the Interloper showed up was depressing, so finding the living survivor (ish, depending on Quantum-ness) was a pleasant surprise near the end.

The ending was nice and trippy and 2001-ish, but I really appreciated that they tied in the characters you meet along the way and the music they make, even Saluran. That was well done and it felt right for the journey I took.

Basically the same, yeah. They mentioned it on the Beastcast before E3 and it seemed up my alley. I had no idea about (or had overlooked) details like the time loop so that was a bit of a surprise for me once I got started (the first time I died and the Nomai mask showed up and rewound things I was super confused, same thing for when I died because of the time loop ending, I had no idea what was up with it just ending until one time I was outside and looked up and freaked out).

Oct 25, 2017
ah makes sense.

btw: is there any difference between quiting back to the main menu vs 'dying'? Feels faster to quit, and I think all the stuff I did before are logged?

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
The cockpit shows you on the left interface what exactly is in need of repairs. Most are outside, but for the reactor you repair it inside. Next to the purple crystal.

Oct 25, 2017
The cockpit shows you on the left interface what exactly is in need of repairs. Most are outside, but for the reactor you repair it inside. Next to the purple crystal.

thanks!

am I dumb or is there no instructions on the
white hole station
that mention that you gotta turn on the thing down stairs before it works? Was staring up the sky like an idiot for like 10min before poking around with stuff downstairs.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I kind of fucked up during my 'final run' and thought I had reached the ending when I actually didn't

I put in the coordinates for the Vessel but it didn't activate the black hole. Instead, I activated the black hole that just leads you outside, still in the Dark Bramble. I messed around with it a bit more and kept getting the same result. Eventually, the supernova happened and I died and got credits (because I'd removed the warp core). I thought the game was telling me that the Eye of the Universe was basically nothing and that I had become as needlessly obsessed over it like the Nomai had. I thought this was super cool but after checking to see if there was any discussion about it online, I quickly realised that I fucked up.

The real ending is good but I'm quite fond of the fake ending I created lol

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm a few hours in at this point. Didn't like the Quicklook or anything about the game too much when I first saw it. It looked like an Indie scale Beyond Good and Evil where the hook is being able to travel the solar system without load times. Little did I know it is a non abstract puzzle game with environmental puzzles and without combat! Only tried the game in the end, because Vinny from Giant Bomb said it was among his top five games overall when they streamed the Play Date.

I really enjoy it so far, but I don't know if I'll finish it - 18 hours sounds like a lot. I have no idea how much progress I made so far and how much is left. Would love to know that I'm approaching mid-end game.

JackEtc

Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Never have too much time to play games during the week, so slowly playing this game one or two loops at a time before hopping into Apex with friends.

This game is something special! I dont know how to really describe it but it's so appealing in so many ways. Creepily engrossing. I love the rumor map and how it helps keep you on track and exploring, it's a great way to remind you of what's going on if you haven't played in a few days

I made my first trip to Giants Deep and had the signal scanner enabled on my ship. I dipped down below the surface and just heard the signal and noped the fuck out of there, it was sort of terrifying

Jan 22, 2019
I kind of fucked up during my 'final run' and thought I had reached the ending when I actually didn't

I put in the coordinates for the Vessel but it didn't activate the black hole. Instead, I activated the black hole that just leads you outside, still in the Dark Bramble. I messed around with it a bit more and kept getting the same result. Eventually, the supernova happened and I died and got credits (because I'd removed the warp core). I thought the game was telling me that the Eye of the Universe was basically nothing and that I had become as needlessly obsessed over it like the Nomai had. I thought this was super cool but after checking to see if there was any discussion about it online, I quickly realised that I fucked up.

The real ending is good but I'm quite fond of the fake ending I created lol

I've just done the same thing! I thought maybe I put the coordinates in wrong so I tried them upside down since the room I got them from (Giant's Deep core) had two orientations... But both just put me outside. I've been really pushing through without wanting to look up any solutions but I feel like I've followed all the clues correctly, haha! Am I missing a bigger piece of the puzzle or do I just need to tweak the line of thinking I'm on?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Slowly peeling back the layers on this one. I have no idea how long I've been playing... maybe 10 hours so far or so? I can't believe where this is going. Finally stumbled on an important game mechanic that was right there in plain sight, but never thought to investigate. This has blown the doors wide open on other areas, and it's just getting wild now. This is quickly climbing the GOTY charts. I almost don't want this to end.