• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I've been rewatching some of the Old Teen Titans from 2003. Growing up I loved the show. Looking back at it, I still think it's pretty decent. It has possibly my favourite incarnation of Robin who was an absolute badass and really stepped out of Batman's shadow. The action was good and had introduced cool original characters like Red X (why isn't he in the comics yet?). Certain storylines like the Apprentice arc in season 1, Terra's betrayal in season 2, the Trigon story in season 4, and the Brotherhood of Evil in season 5 I think were really well written and had great memorable moments. The show's incarnation of Raven and Starfire I think are better than their comic book counterparts as Raven had cooler powers, and you can see her development across the show as she recognizes her fate isn't to end the world and defiies. Starfire instead of being walking fanservice was made a naive newcomer and how she adapted to Earth life and grew was nice to see (too bad she didn't get her own season though). The show's version of Deathstroke is one of my favourite due to how menacing he was and his awesome voice acting. It's different from the comic but it worked so well. Even when lighthearted the show could be dark when it wanted like with "Haunted" (Best Episode), and the Trigon storyline.

That being said I can understand if people don't like it. The anime style can be a turn off and some episodes are REALLY silly like where Beast Boy fights sentient tofu. I will admit a lot of villains seemed forgettable and third rate and it did feel a bit too disconnected from the wider DC universe.

So overall what are thoughts on the series. I'm not sure if I'd put up with Justice League but it comes pretty close. Shame they never crossed over.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was viewed so well that when Teen Titans Go! came out everyone was pissed because it wasn't the old Teen Titans and were progressively forced to accept that it was still an okay show in its own right.

And also that the epilogue episode was kinda weak.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people love it.

I thought it was kinda eh, but even as a kid I read comics and it felt weirdly isolated to me in comparison to JL and JLU with a bunch of dudes from different stuff in it. There's a lot of love for it though

Mar 3, 2019
It was dope. The only time robin has been on screen and not been absolutely terrible. Also they had some really good one off episodes

Village

Oct 25, 2017
It was viewed so well that when Teen Titans Go! came out everyone was pissed because it wasn't the old Teen Titans and were progressively forced to accept that it was still an okay show in its own right.

I dunno about that. More so the people who didn't like it just moved on. And to be fair I think a lot of the ire for the show wasn't because of OG teen titains, it was because young justice got canceled and then the show happened happened.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
The main storyline episodes season 1-4 were great. Still hold up imo and I still recommend the show to people. The episodic/standalone episodes (majority of the series) on the other hand are a bit too silly for me now. But then again it's a kids show so I understand they couldn't have the dark/cool stuff happening all the time. There are exceptions though, "How Long is Forever" and arguably the greatest episode of the show "Haunted" were largely standalone along with the aforementioned Red X episode.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people love it but honestly it's shit. TTG and Young Justice are miles better. The voice cast and character dynamics are good, but that's about it. Everything else is mediocre.

just watch X-Men Evolution instead

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
At first I thought it was just for kids but it got addictive. There are some bad episodes but there's a lot of funny and clever episodes too. Overall I liked it.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The people who grew up with it seem to like it. I never watched it back then.

When I watched TTG, with the way they rib the fuck outta superhero self-seriousness was so good. When I checked out 2003's Teen Titans show afterwards? It's literally all the same shit they were mocking, and it came off as legit embarrassing. The comedy was... not great. Robin's moodiness was so bizarrely contrasted against the occasional cartooniness of it. It wasn't great.

OP
OP
PhoenixAKG

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
A lot of people love it but honestly it's shit. TTG and Young Justice are miles better. The voice cast and character dynamics are good, but that's about it. Everything else is mediocre.

ZEBxqIA.jpg

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Is it weird that I find it both overrated and underrated? Like I remember the reception back when it was airing was more mixed because a lot of the DCAU fans hated the anime-esque animation style and thought the show was too kiddy. Which, when you think about it, is some hilarious irony. At the time, I really liked the show, and having watched some episodes earlier this week I thought they did a pretty good job with the limitations they clearly had to work with.

On the otherhand, people who use it to rail against Teen Titans Go have placed it way too high on a pedastal. Like, it was a show with a lot of flaws; especially in the humor department.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO

Teen Titans GO! is pretty dope though... 🤷‍♂️

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
it's a great show, but its popularity has causes dc to repeated deage gar and raven to be younger than their new teen titans teammates, stunting any character growth they had/could have had.

edit:
i also like that they dedicated a whole episode to wally, once they were allowed to use him. bit weird they had the same voice actor from JL/U.

Last edited:

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
show was great, pretty emotionally complex and relevant to teenage emotions. racism, isolation, love, betrayal, depression, abuse all wrapped up in kid friendly packages

some seasons are better than others but overall i would say it's like a 8/10

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The goofy episodes are mostly wonderful, the first Mad Mod episode is one of my favorite episodes of anything ever.

Malcolm McDowell as Mad Mod was perfect.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The people who grew up with it seem to like it. I never watched it back then.

When I watched TTG, with the way they rib the fuck outta superhero self-seriousness was so good. When I checked out 2003's Teen Titans show afterwards? It's literally all the same shit they were mocking, and it came off as legit embarrassing. The comedy was... not great. Robin's moodiness was so bizarrely contrasted against the occasional cartooniness of it. It wasn't great.
The funniest recurring joke in the "Get Serious" bit and TTG in general is the absolute roast of the incredibly bland romance between Robin and Starfire.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
i party blame this show for making people think deathstroke is cool instead of the fucking nonce that he actually is.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always liked the Mumbo Jumbo episode where he turns all the titans into Animals and Raven has to find a way through his magic tricks. Mumbo also had a fun song number in it.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate the way the animation looks. The art style is okay but when it start moving it looks like shit to me. I never though that show was worth dealing with because of that.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
I mean it was good, but it gets elevated to this status that I don't think is deserved. Adding fuel to the fire was the TTG hate, which amplified it further.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is an excellent animated series with some unabashedly silly spin-off episodes. It brought considerable depth to the cast through supernatural and down-to-earth problems. Even for the time, the animation was quite high production. I easily consider it part of the Golden Age of modern cartoons, alongside stuff like Samurai Jack, Justice League, Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends and more.

I always clamor for a continuation. There are narrative threads left dangling and these characters are arguably more popular now than they were then. WB even has it's own streaming service that a finale season could round out nicely. It's time.

My only real criticism is that it honestly needed more exposition. Locations were nameless. Too many villains were faceless and mysterious. It leaned too much on the perception of being a serialized cartoon despite having tons of through lines and cohesive character arcs. A lengthy, well-written set of episodes could bring a definitive end to countless conflicts.

Plus, I just want to see more of that glorious Murakanime combat. It still puts 95% of what's in cartoons now to shame.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

Young Justice and X-Men Evolution have big problems dealing with such a huge cast. When I watched those shows, I frequently got lost.

TT did the right thing by just having a main five with everybody getting their personal arc per season, with the occasional episode featuring a secondary titan.

By the way, i like TTG too. It does what it sets to do greatly.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Way better than the embarrassment that is TTG. Was easily one of my favorite shows growing up. Not as good as BTAS, STAS, JL and JLU, but still damn good in its own right.

May 9, 2019
I loved it when I was younger but now its alright. Worst version of Starfire though. The whole bimbo act that continually gets put on Kory came from this show and those stupid green starbolts.

Oct 25, 2017
It was loved,
It was actually far more successful than JL and JLU for example.

It was so popular that WB fast tracked a live action adaptation as WBs highest priority besides Batman but when Batman plans started to fall apart the put it on hold to sort that out.
Once Nolan was on Batman and they got so careful and protective over those characters they canceled it