• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Completely agree. It is almost completely useless. Why not just say what you are really thinking: "I don't like this thing that a lot of other people like" or "I am unable to overlook the flaws that are within this still positive experience" or "I am smarter than others and can see the problems with this thing that its fans are too dumb to see".

The last one is what a lot of people seem to really think when calling something overrated. The smug satisfaction is palpable much of the time.

If you don't like something popular, that' perfectly ok. But try to explain why. You don't even have to go into detail about specifics. Just try to state how it made you feel.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
i love ooze

do you at least like goo

if not i think you might be some kind of slime bigot and i won't stand for it
All 3 of those things are fine, ooze is just prickly because it can be an adverb and suddenly everything oozes style/charisma/charm.

EDIT: Slime is probably the best. Works for me as a noun or verb. I encourage everyone to go nuts with it.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has a very specific meaning: You think the way something has been received by a group of people isn't necessarily earned based on its merits alone. I mean, I agree it's a criticism that often gets left unsupported, but it's a pretty handy framing device for getting someone's feelings across.

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite is "experience".

Anything is an experience. Eating shit is probably an experience you'll never forget. It says fuck all about the game when you say something like "it's an experience". It's just a shallow qualifier to make something appear deeper, transcendental, and to excuse for any shortcomings without having to actually argue about them.

"This game is an experience". Ok, is it a good one? A bad one? I DON'T KNOW.

STOP.

Oct 25, 2017
Since we're all naming our least favorite words, I'll join... "oozes"
ooze.jpg

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think that The Last of Us is overrated personally, in that I feel that there are issues with the game that would prevent me from awarding it a 10/10, which it was frequently given. This opinion is no different from someone saying "Really? I find it to be the best game of the generation, I couldn't fathom giving it any less". Why is one suddenly an issue, or are people reading too much into a word when the issue is that any simple response lacks additional insight into why that person feels that way. "I think it's amazing!" is no different to "I think it's overrated" to anyone other than people not wishing to hear negative things about the game they like without justification, which I get but the gate swings both ways.

The only meaningful difference is going into a thread of people discussing what they enjoy about the game and just leaving that sentence on your way out, but that's not really an issue with the word either. They could have said "I think it's shit" and it would be equally as bad.
I think the big difference is saying something is amazing, doesn't really come across like you're saying "everyone who thinks it's bad is wrong, because I liked it." Whereas simply saying it's overrated seems like you specifically have an issue with people liking it more than you. It's how I always interpret people who use overrated as a criticism.

I will say I have much less of an issue with people using underrated though, which would have probably been a better word to use instead of amazing in your example.

Oct 25, 2017
As I said in the "Witcher 3 is overrated" thread, though, the people posting just to complain about the word harm the discussion a lot more than the word itself. Just filter it in your head, and answer to the rest of the post. If there's nothing else to the post, then, well, it was probably never worth responding to anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the big difference is saying something is amazing, doesn't really come across like you're saying "everyone who thinks it's bad is wrong, because I liked it." Whereas simply saying it's overrated seems like you specifically have an issue with people liking it more than you. It's how I always interpret people who use overrated as a criticism.

I will say I have much less of an issue with people using underrated though, which would have probably been a better word to use instead of amazing in your example.
Fair point, I can see how it becomes an easy barb to those fans. By the same token I suppose underrated cannot be inherently negative and you're suggesting the game deserves more praise or recognition. Thank you for the post.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this thread at all.

Overrated is not a criticism itself, it's just an easy way to say 'I feel like this game doesn't warrant the praise it has received'. Obviously the criticism part is explaining why, but there's nothing wrong with the term itself. Unless you feel like people shouldn't be allowed to disagree with the consensus around certain games? That having an opinion that goes against the consensus is somehow arrogant?

A good example is Persona 5. Hailed as a GotY contender by many, and a good game by most. I personally felt like it was mediocre at best, and a waste of my time and money. Comparing my opinion to the consensus, it makes perfect sense for me to say the game is overrated.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't agree more, OP. Calling something "overrated" is pretty condescending to the reader, if I'm being honest. Instead of saying "Here is why I don't like something", you're essentially claiming "here is why you are wrong for liking something". And speaking personally, you're going to lose me immediately if you go in that direction with your criticism.

krioto

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer ''overrated'' coupled with ''generic'' - one-two combo of pointless criticism

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, overrated has a very specific meaning, that people use it incorrectly does not devalue the word itself.

belteshazzar

Oct 27, 2017
What about "creatively bankrupt"?

LOL, exactly my thoughts as I was reading the post. Everything said about "overrated" here can be applied to that. How ironic.

Anyway, yeah, I agree with the sentiment that "overrated" can sometimes be ambiguous without an explanation. However, just like "generic", I believe it can be used as an umbrella term to express a general sentiment about the game that is being used on (ie. overrated - the game doesn't deserve all the praise that it's getting, generic - looks like all the other games on it's genre, nothing sets it apart, bland, uninspired). If a person uses it in a discussion they definitely should say why the game doesn't deserve the praise it is getting/already has.

Conversely, I feel sometimes that the people that complain about the over use of the term are also just mad that the game they love is being trashed on and cannot accept that someone disagrees with their "universally" accepted opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So stop using it. It doesn't say anything about the game, it's not valid criticism, it only means that you can't stand that other people like something you don't. It lacks context, anything can be overrated to anything, it doesn't mean anything it's just slapped on everything as a quick insult. You're just meta complaining, a game can't help that people like it, it's not a game's fault that people like it. Use actual real things to say why you don't like a game.

Thank you for listening

Who made you mad enough to make a thread about this OP?

obsoke

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Overrated is just a way of saying "I don't get why other people like this thing I don't like!" It doesn't really convey more than that.

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Creatively bankrupt" is the most overrated phrase you can use. /s

I agree, OP. Overrated generally just identifies one's own opinion as unpopular, but with an entirely unwarranted and unjustifiable air of condescension.

EDIT: I got majorly beat by WoollyTitan. Great snarkers snark alike?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I think it's kind of missing the point and it's a bit reductive to say the word has nothing to say. It does, if explained properly.

However, 'overrated' may also be reductive if not explained properly. People need to think about what they're saying and mean what they say.
I see your point, I understand where you're coming from. The problem isn't necessarily the game itself, it's more about the fan base which may exist in kind of an echo chamber.

It means the poster thinks people give something too much credit, that it may receive a disproportionate amount of praise. You can still love something and say it's overrated. It's not mutually exclusive.

For instance I love Half-Life 2 as much as the next guy, but...GOTG? GOAT? I can't say that in good conscience when the game has so many huge flaws. Really, I love HL2, but it's still a huge disappointment to me. In a way, it's a testament to how good it is, to overcome such hurdles and make it out so good. But HL2 has fundamental issues that I can't ignore, that I feel most people do, for whatever reason. Yes there is looking past flaws in a game, but I don't see people even admitting these flaws. That is a key point when it comes to something being overrated, when everyone seems to overlook or downplay real issues. And I don't mean nitpicks, I mean something that adversely effects the entire experience in a negative way.

I love using that word. I think it's great.

However, everyone will have their own opinions on what's over/underrated, but they need to come prepared with opinions that carry weight. 6/10 too much water isn't a good opinion unless backed with substance.

It's all about reception, commercial and critical, and overall consensus. Think about games you hear a lot about. Games you hear nothing about.

Halo? Destiny? IMO, massively overrated. Turok 1 and Doom 64? Massively underrated. It's all about if you think you hear a disproportionate amount of praise or a complete lack of praise for a game.

I will continue to use that word when I think the case calls for it, sorry.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, so is generic, and souless. Everytime I see people post that with zero context I know whose opinion to ignore going forward. It means nothing.

OP
OP
Burnburn

Burnburn

Oct 26, 2017
Who made you mad enough to make a thread about this OP?

Years of seeing the word being misused everywhere. But in general it's that "post your controversial opinion" thread.

Also, reading through the thread I do know that there are times where the word is actually used right and I should've probably specified that, given the right context, it can be used right.

Edit: Also right as I pressed enter after making the OP I was like "why did I use creatively bankrupt like that?", lol.

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I agree, so is generic, and souless. Everytime I see people post that with zero context I know whose opinion to ignore going forward. It means nothing.
See, soulless is a hard one to define. I think it comes from something not making any mistakes because it is unambitious. To use an off topic example (to leverage on topic discussion, of course) is Steely Dan's two final albums before their breakup. Aja is lauded as perfect by many, but its ultra-clean Donald Fagen dominated successor, Gaucho, is constantly railed as soulless, simply because it is so orderly in a technical sense. It's too organized and it seemingly alienated some previous listeners while boring others.

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I'd say any one or two word "generic" response as any sort of criticism is creatively bankrupt. There's nothing wrong with using it within the context of a larger argument. But just using it, or any other cereal box phrase is the death of criticism. I'd even go as far to add, "hot take" in there, since people just seem to want to use it as a way to quickly blow off any criticism -- justly or not.

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See, soulless is a hard one to define. I think it comes from something not making any mistakes because it is unambitious. To use an off topic example (to leverage on topic discussion, of course) is Steely Dan's two final albums before their breakup. Aja is lauded as perfect by many, but its ultra-clean Donald Fagen dominated successor, Gaucho, is constantly railed as soulless, simply because it is so orderly in a technical sense. It's too organized and it seemingly alienated some previous listeners while boring others.

That's entirely the issue, everyone can have a different interpretation to what that even means..... It;s meaningless as criticism because of that,

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

Then the problem is context/posting habits and not the word itself.

Generic is also another word I love to use, when it calls for it, and I always back up what I say.

You won't ever catch me on some blanket statement bullshit. I mean what I say. 95% of the time I will talk about games with respect, even ones I don't like.

There are a few rare cases where I have almost nothing but disdain for a game or movie, but again, they are backed by my real feelings on the matter.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
I think if you're going to use that argument you not only have to explain why the thing is actually bad, but also why people are mistakingly having a positive reaction to it.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, "overrated" is probably my most hated word along with "cringe"

100% agreed, though I will throw another term into the ring:

"Try hard." It's such a cynical, dismissive, and non-descriptive term that folks just use to put down things they can't/won't otherwise explain their dislike for.

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then the problem is context/posting habits and not the word itself.

Generic is also another word I love to use, when it calls for it, and I always back up what I say.

You won't ever catch me on some blanket statement bullshit. I mean what I say. 95% of the time I will talk about games with respect, even ones I don't like.

There are a few rare cases where I have almost nothing but disdain for a game or movie, but again, they are backed by my real feelings on the matter.

Of course, like I said, if it is backed up reasonably, that's cool. But as you know, people more often than not jump in with the "Game looks generic" and that's it..I mean that means nothing why even bother.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Completely agree. It is almost completely useless. Why not just say what you are really thinking: "I don't like this thing that a lot of other people like" or "I am unable to overlook the flaws that are within this still positive experience" or "I am smarter than others and can see the problems with this thing that its fans are too dumb to see".

The last one is what a lot of people seem to really think when calling something overrated. The smug satisfaction is palpable much of the time.

If you don't like something popular, that' perfectly ok. But try to explain why. You don't even have to go into detail about specifics. Just try to state how it made you feel.

This is the general sentiment I get from people using the word most of the time. Even when it is not meant in that general connotation. If your default is to use that term, or any other overused term, in a drive-by post then it doesn't add anything to the conversation. And if you don't want to spend the time to actually construct your opinion to someone who may be new to it then move on to a discussion that would benefit from more substantive posts you would be partial to making and not meaningless drive-by posts with nothing to say other than giving a "hot take".

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I think any adjective when used incorrectly could have the same criticism tbh. Over rated isn't so creatively bankrupt if you are criticising a. Highly rated game and then explaining why you feel it valuable to call those ratings into question eg you may feel it is incredibly derivative and therefore not deserving of the praise and hence feel it is over rated.

The problem is that people rarely use the word correct contextually so it becomes a vapid, meaningless, throwaway statement meaning the person using it thinks the game is shit.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
I agree that overrated isn't a valid criticism. Yet I think generic is fine. Look at Fuse. It's very generic. It gets the point across that it's typical of its genre and does nothing new or exciting. As with anything though, the more information we communicate to others the clearer our argument becomes.

I will always agree with more articulation.

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
As most often used, it's simply a lazy shortcut to handwave away the success of something, along with "x is only popular/well received because of [y exogenous factor]"

Of course, it can be used properly within more detailed critiques, but those are comparatively rare. It's simply the nature of the internet; people want to express themselves, but are unwilling or unable to do so properly. In an ideal world we'd have nuanced multi-paragraph arguments in lieu of a blanket 'overrated', but the (lack of) return from making that kind of intellectual investment tends to dissuade people, as well it probably should.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Of course, like I said, if it is backed up reasonably, that's cool. But as you know, people more often than not jump in with the "Game looks generic" and that's it..I mean that means nothing why even bother.

Then we agree, that applies to any drive-by shit posting. Posts without merit aren't exclusive to any one word. Your grievances lie with people who aren't capable or willing to have an actual discourse on the pros and cons of ________.

'Overrated' is just another way of saying "I disagree with the consensus" and hopefully the person will follow with "because such and such". And obviously there's nothing wrong with that if the argument isn't akin to a child's whining.

There are also levels of 'overrated'. People can think something is a bit overrated, or very overrated. Again, it's all about the reception and how much attention something gets. It can apply to anything.

You can like something and think it's overrated. It all boils down to whether or not the person thinks something is getting the recognition they believe it deserves, good or bad. And as we know, there's not necessarily anything wrong with opinions, as long as they don't ignore reality and are presented in a straight fashion.

There are dishonest, agenda driven people. Ignore them. Don't ignore the people who choose their words and speak from the heart.

malyse

Community Resetter
So stop using it. It doesn't say anything about the game, it's not valid criticism, it only means that you can't stand that other people like something you don't. It lacks context, anything can be overrated to anything, it doesn't mean anything it's just slapped on everything as a quick insult. You're just meta complaining, a game can't help that people like it, it's not a game's fault that people like it. Use actual real things to say why you don't like a game.
Nah.

Final Fantasy VII is overrated. It's not a bad game and is actually quite good. However, compared to Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VIII (which gets unfair criticism because it's not a sequel to 7) it's held to be a better game than it actually is. It's overrated: it's not bad, but it's nearly as good as people say it is.

Xenoblade Chronicles is overrated. It's not a bad JRPG, but it's not the end all be all savior of the genre that people so loudly proclaim it to be. I think it compares unfavorably to Final Fantasy XII, which does the same game play beats but better. The story is a let down compared to the much more epic in scope Xenosaga trilogy or the Xenogears games. It wasn't originally called Xeno- and it shows: the game doesn't remotely stand to the pedigree of what came before. It's overrated: it's not bad but it's not nearly as good as people stay it is.

Burnburn you seem to think that people saying something is "overrated" means they are saying it's bad. That's not what's happening. They are saying it's Over Rated: specifically that the rating of quality people are ascribing to a given product is over and above the actual quality of the product. That you think it's an invalid criticism just shows you don't understand what people are saying when they use the term.