Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

View: https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1570345806078558208

So Blizzard recently unveiled their newest hero for Overwatch 2, Kiriko, a character from Japan. She joins the ninja brothers Hanzo and Genji, the other two Japanese characters. Problem is, they decided to make her character a ninja as well. And to make matters worse, they decided to make her a friend of the brothers, all of whom are trained by her mother. Personally I think it's a shame when you have a brand new character with a brand new canvas, and you could've given her a unique backstory and, god forbid, her own identity, but nah fam if you're a Japanese character in a game like Overwatch, you have to be a ninja. And you also have to know each other. Sorry, I don't make the rules.

EDIT:

View: https://twitter.com/manglegrove/status/1568688869524258818?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1568688869524258818%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=

Thanks sixteen-bit

Last edited:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
100% agreed, they could have done something unique here instead. Still, she is kind of a cool character.

Muji

Banned
Jul 27, 2021
I'd appreciate more variety. But I do think that it does make sense since they are explicitly saying she has a connection with the others and they are trained by the same person.

Like it's not a total stranger and then she's also a ninja by chance.

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I think her being related to the 2 others kinda makes it more "okay" that she's a ninja also, and not another completely random unrelated person that also happened to be a ninja.

But yeah could have used someone else I'm sure Japan has more than 1 family in it.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I imagine that with a story mode finally being implemented, they've been deliberately looking to include new heroes that have history with characters already in the cast so that it's not entirely just a bunch of strangers saving the world together.

Also, while all the Japanese characters being ninjas is not a great look in a vacuum, it's not the only example in Overwatch. All three Australians are basically Mad Max characters who have history with each other.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
techacute.com

Activision Blizzard Aims for Inclusivity in Games with Diversity Space Tool

Activision Blizzard's Diversity Space Tool aims to help game developers design diverse characters that are part of under-represented groups.

This tool probably told them it was ok.

Diversity-Space-Tool01.jpeg

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard only speaks of diversity, but they really don't know what it means. Overwatch is full of stereotypes.

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard only speaks of diversity, but they really don't know what it means. Overwatch is full of stereotypes.
Also, can I please bring up how in Classic WoW they changed gender to bodytype, which is good right? Except if you choose body type 2 (previously female), all characters in the DK starter zone refer to you as sister.

What's the point?

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, what are the options though, a samurai? It wouldn't really fit with the gameplay. What does a samurai have in their arsenal for Overwatch? A melee with maybe some long-range sword energy and that's it.

Some kind of kyoukai (folklore/mythical creatures) would work though, and that will be more interesting. Or maybe they should just give it a rest with Japan and try with any other untouched culture.

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Well, what are the options though, a samurai? It wouldn't really fit with the gameplay. What does a samurai have in their arsenal for Overwatch? A melee with maybe some long-range sword energy and that's it.

Some kind of kyoukai (folklore/mythical creatures) would work though, and that will be more interesting. Or maybe they should just give it a rest with Japan and try with any other untouched culture.
Why does a Japanese character have to fight with Japanese styles of combat? Are all American characters in Overwatch cowboys? I mean 2 of them are but you know.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I think her being related to the 2 others kinda makes it more "okay" that she's a ninja also, and not another completely random unrelated person that also happened to be a ninja.

But yeah could have used someone else I'm sure Japan has more than 1 family in it.
blizzard chose to make her related to the other 2

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
She's not really a ninja she's a shrine maiden which is why she has the torii gates appear during her ult and the Fox/Kitsune spirit. She does do ninja hand signs so I guess she could be a ninja too 🤷

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Overwatch plays into stereotypes. News at 11.

But yeah, as interesting as Kiriko looks to be, 'Japanese = ninja' is about as uninspired as you can get; like I get it - Japanese Ninja is an easy (if very lazy) pick. But had they stopped and thought on it just a touch longer, there are so many other interesting backstories, archetypes, and pieces of cultural iconography they could have drawn from instead:

- Sumo Wrestler
- A kendo or Judo Martial Artist
- Chef turned warrior/support role
- Any one of Japan's many famous craftsman roles or artists (e.g. Caligraphy, Ukiyo-E

Or heaven forbid - how about just a normal dude/salary worker who so happens to be Japanese, but gets embroiled in conflict that way over their head.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does a Japanese character have to fight with Japanese styles of combat? Are all American characters in Overwatch cowboys? I mean 2 of them are but you know.
Hmm I see. So they could've made a Japanese mad scientist or something instead, right? I didn't think of it that way.

Muji

Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Maybe we are being the stereotyping ones, because she's actually a shrine maiden not a ninja and we just put everything japanese into the "ninja" box 😁

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I see. So they could've made a Japanese mad scientist or something instead, right? I didn't think of it that way.
Japanese anything. Just a soldier who happens to be Japanese, for example. Not all Overwatch characters fight in a style related to their place of origin. Pharah using Jet rockets and Ana using sleeping darts have nothing to do with them being Egyptian, for example.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
She's not really a ninja she's a shrine maiden which is why she has the torii gates appear during her ult and the Fox/Kitsune spirit. She does do ninja hand signs so I guess she could be a ninja too 🤷
Maybe we are being the stereotyping ones, because she's actually a shrine maiden not a ninja and we just put everything japanese into the "ninja" box 😁
Yeah I don't really understand...I mean, sure shrine maiden is also stereotypical but I don't think they call her a ninja anywhere (maybe they do somewhere, still searching). IGN does. Same with Hanzo also besides being part of the clan. While Genji being the tropey ninja setup.

Last edited:

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't really understand...I mean, sure shrine maiden is also stereotypical but I don't think they call her a ninja anywhere. IGN does. Hanzo also besides being part of the clan. While Genji being the tropey ninja setup.
I mean, a big part of being a shrine maiden is to actually be a maiden of a shrine. Does she do stuff like doing ritualistic dances, cleansing evil spirit, and selling luck charms for a shrine?

Or does she just somehow wear a shrine maiden-like outfit while teleporting around, throwing kunai, and doing hand seals like a pop culture ninja?

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I mean, a big part of being a shrine maiden is to actually be a maiden of a shrine. Does she do stuff like doing ritualistic dances, cleansing evil spirit, and selling luck charms for a shrine?

Or does she just somehow wear a shrine maiden-like outfit while teleporting around, throwing kunai, and doing hand seals like a pop culture ninja?
The second one
unknown.png

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Part of the problem that I have with her design, is she isn't visually distinct from the other female heroes that have her lean build and face-shape. Put her right next to Tracer or Pilot DVa, and the three will start to bleed from being identical in silhouette.

From what was shown in her reveal trailer, outside of summoning mystical Torii Gates that a magical spirit fox prances through, she really is a pop culture ninja like the Super Shimada Bros. that already preside in the game that is wearing a not-really Shrine Maiden outfit.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017

Besides the kunai and hand seals (which then creates an move that isn't really typical pop culture ninja stuff), the rest isn't. And she will mostly be throwing talisman/charms and cleansing "bombs". And again, I don't think most people view Hanzo as a ninja either but sure, he's stereotypical in other aspects.

Last edited:

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch plays into stereotypes. News at 11.

But yeah, as interesting as Kiriko looks to be, 'Japanese = ninja' is about as uninspired as you can get; like I get it - Japanese Ninja is an easy (if very lazy) pick. But had they stopped and thought on it just a touch longer, there are so many other interesting backstories, archetypes, and pieces of cultural iconography they could have drawn from instead:

- Sumo Wrestler
- A kendo or Judo Martial Artist
- Chef turned warrior/support role
- Any one of Japan's many famous craftsman roles or artists (e.g. Caligraphy, Ukiyo-E

Or heaven forbid - how about just a normal dude/salary worker who so happens to be Japanese, but gets embroiled in conflict that way over their head.
Calligraphy would have been a great one.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
techacute.com

Activision Blizzard Aims for Inclusivity in Games with Diversity Space Tool

Activision Blizzard's Diversity Space Tool aims to help game developers design diverse characters that are part of under-represented groups.

This tool probably told them it was ok.

Diversity-Space-Tool01.jpeg
My instant first thought lol

"hey blizzard don't you think having all your japanese characters be ninja is a little"
"The algorithm says its okay, look at how maxed out the rating are"

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I remember how fun and interesting the overwatch characters were, but all I see out of overwatch 2 is more of the same.

Qark-Voss

Apr 22, 2022
At least in Overwatch they have representation and not in a negative way.

Imagine being Italian like me and seeing your country and your people represented in the 80% of the non-italian videogames as mafia guys X°D

If there will be an Italian character in Overwatch 2, most likely they will be connected to the criminal organization Talon, I'm quite shure of that >__>

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Obligatory shout out to that Overwatch PR image from somewhere that says "WE CHALLENGED STEREOTYPES"
The sheer lack of self awareness is just staggering tbh

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It is pretty boring, especially since you could have just made the character '_______ ....but Japanese!' and the audiences would be like 🫵😲 10/10