• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I found this game to be monumentally disappointing. SuperBunnyHop's review covers most of the reasons why I feel this way:

Yeah that review says it pretty well. Owlboy is obviously a labour of love with great visuals and soundtrack, but it fell short in the gameplay. In both the exploration and dungeon parts I found myself going through the motions pretty quickly, there was nothing that really stood out in terms of design. Playing through this was such a disappointing experience because most elements were there for a great game, but it fell short where it really mattered.

Giudecca

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that review says it pretty well. Owlboy is obviously a labour of love with great visuals and soundtrack, but it fell short in the gameplay. In both the exploration and dungeon parts I found myself going through the motions pretty quickly, there was nothing that really stood out in terms of design. Playing through this was such a disappointing experience because most elements were there for a great game, but it fell short where it really mattered.

Yeah, same here. The game was in development hell for several years and it shows.

MrGab

Oct 25, 2017
This is more close to true Kid Icarus revival than Kid Icarus Uprising on 3DS. KI Uprising is a very good game, yes, but Kid Icarus is more Metrodvania than Star Fox. Wish Nintendo returns Kid Icarus to roots.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Since I already played this on PC, I'll wait on the physical edition.
Great stuff though, really solid title, like having a 2D take on Zelda (that isn't Zelda 2) with a wind waker vibe to boot. I think it skews that way a lot more than Metroidvania at least.

brandonh83

Oct 25, 2017
This started so promising with the first dungeon area, the Owl Temple I think, just great atmosphere, gameplay and puzzles. Then story story story story story story story story story story story and now pretty annoying enemies and level design.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
This is more close to true Kid Icarus revival than Kid Icarus Uprising on 3DS. KI Uprising is a very good game, yes, but Kid Icarus is more Metrodvania than Star Fox. Wish Nintendo returns Kid Icarus to roots.

If you want something along those lines I recommend Elliot Quest on switch, it's great.

To be fair, that guy has a 2 hour video on every game and why it's disappointing

You're confusing him with Joseph Anderson. And that's not even a counter argument. If you want to discuss points in the video I'd be down but your post is just a knee jerk reaction.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish I would love this game more, the graphic are amazing but the gameplay is very poor in my opinion

nate

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm now i want to buy it again, i dont really care about "gameplay" in an indie game...

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say my only two criticisms so far are,

1) sometimes when it gets a bit hectic on screen the controls can become a bit of a mess as you're trying to frantically avoid the enemy fire whilst flicking through your buddies until you get the right one.

2) this is a tiny complaint, but sometimes I find the flying inconsistent. There are times where it seems Otus will suddenly stop flying for no reason and start falling, or the opposite will happen where he starts flying even though I'm sure I haven't pressed anything to make him do so. As I say, that's only a tiny annoyance.

Everything else I really like as of yet.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
I found this game to be monumentally disappointing. SuperBunnyHop's review covers most of the reasons why I feel this way:

interesting video. i think ill still get the game though
also...
"in a market where zelda itself is being overshadowed by the souls franchise" is an odd thing to say. unless this video was made during the wii u era.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Was kinda disappointed with this game. Not really any upgrades or stuff to collect, so the game felt a bit stale at the end. It looks gorgeous and sound fantastic. But the gameplay was average.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
After playing a bit, this seems more than a little Zelda-ish and a little bit Wonder Boy by default. I like it so far, and I'm excited to play more.

I played through the first dungeon section. It was pretty linear and straightforward, but I can see how this could get more interesting with different allies and puzzles.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I playede up until the first "Boss" I like it, the artstyle is gorgeous and the gameplay was a bit unexpected than I thought it was gonna be, still a great switch go for pick up and play

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty much a story driven, side scrolling Zelda. The dungeons have a lot of switches, walls to break, and puzzles you solve by grabbing and bringing stuff to them, or using your allies. The dungeons open up with new skills, but the outside world opens up as the story progresses. It's not as action heavy as Metroid or Castlevania, but I would consider this a Metroidvania. Otus can't really do damage directly, at least not so far. You have to use your allies or throw stuff you grab to do damage. Otus has a spin attack, but it just stuns enemies, and then you shoot them with an ally. I'm having fun with it.

Oct 27, 2017
So far ,ive had alot of fun with this game . The story especially is rather touching . I always feel sorry for Otus when he gets treat bad :(

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
The challenge is certainly starting to pick up now the furthur I get in.

It's quite annoying the way you get knocked back everytime you're hit by something.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that whole
escape sequence where you're controlling the robot worm thing
was rather cool.

I should probably stop talking to myself in here huh.

Edit: not talking to myself, some folk have joined me yay.

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm loving this game.

It's filled with little details and live pouring out of every pixel.

The gameplay is very very deliverate and somewhat unforgiving though, so it may turn some people away. I really like it though.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I'm surprised to find that this game didn't chart at the Switch best sellers list yet. i hope this game does better... really awesome game! it is not a pure platformer or action game like some may have expected, it is more of an adventure game, it feels like a mix between Zelda and Kid Icarus. the game is varied, there is a lot of interesting ideas that are well executed and the attention to details is unbelievable for a 2D game. the atmosphere is very dreamy and the game keeps surprising you. i strongly recommend this game if what i said appeals to you. also, i want to say that this is one of the best looking 2D games I've ever seen! almost everything on the screen is animated, and the hand-drawn world of the game is gorgeous. here are some screenshots i took:

DWB63i9VoAAKi7s.jpg:large

DWB45H2U8AAo35m.jpg:large

DV_qlu9UMAY44AZ.jpg

DWHNaw-U0AAmwLZ.jpg:large

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I wish the text wasn't so thin and pixely. It's really hard to read from a distance. It's like a VC GBA game or something.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested on hearing your guys' takes on the ending once you reach it. Not that far now, judging by the progress being made here.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Just had a crash.
eYZ0QEe.jpg

It was during the dark dungeon, which is terrible. Yeah, let's make a dungeon where you can't see shit half the time.
yHIdc7l.jpg

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017
God damn... The game went nuts and glitched on me soon after I beat the final boss. All I could see were graphical artifacts... Reloaded the game and it seems I need to fight it all over again. -_-

EDIT: Thankfully it didn't glitch the second time around.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Got it day one on Switch. Been waiting like a decade to play this.

Gonna start it tonight. I'm going in relatively blind. I just know I love the art style.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Just got a third crash. Aside from the crashes, and that dark dungeon, I really like the game. The ally system sets the game apart from similar games, like Shantae, and the story is the most detailed I have ever seen in a game like this. It almost feels like something out of an RPG. It's too bad people seem to be sleeping on this. It might not be the masterpiece some reviews make it out to be, but it has definitely not disappointed me.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
Just got a third crash. Aside from the crashes, and that dark dungeon, I really like the game. The ally system sets the game apart from similar games, like Shantae, and the story is the most detailed I have ever seen in a game like this. It almost feels like something out of an RPG. It's too bad people seem to be sleeping on this. It might not be the masterpiece some reviews make it out to be, but it has definitely not disappointed me.

I don't think anyone's sleeping on it; Owlboy got a huge amount of attention at launch. Just the Switch version's a year late and by now people have more or less settled into their camps on whether or not they like or dislike this game.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How has this not even made it to the top 10 on the eshop? And I was thinking most switch owners bought all the big indies, esp ones like this. Guess not

It's like everyone was hyped about it when it was first rumored to be coming now it's here and crickets

Word of mouth from the pc version not good? Over rated perhaps?

Last edited:

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
Finally started playing this. Just got to the second area. Anyone know how I save the game? The menu options aren't very explicit. Put it in sleep mode for now.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I can't pick this up as I've barely touched Shovel Knight, Blaster Master, Wonder Boy, Snake Pass and Xenoblade 2.

But I'm sorely tempted because this game looks beautiful.