• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Anthem have a better retail launch opening in the UK than Mass Effect: Andromeda?

• Yes

Votes: 132 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 63 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Andromeda did beat it first week in terms of physical then?

Andromeda sold more than double yes.
Andromeda itself was already nearly half of what ME3 sold in its first week.

Again. These are packaged sales comparisons and digital missing does skew the figures. Digital sales (which EA themselves say is approaching 50% of overall sales for them) are not counted. Nor is EA Access players. There were incentives to buy the digital ver. so I'd expect a really high digital share for the game.

Last edited:

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wee-bey-reaction-gif.gif

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised

No one wanted a generic looking destiny/titanfall baby and not from effing bioware anyway supposed RPG masters who are coming off a dud anyway

The wrong studio used for the wrong game focussing away from potential GOLD (single player KOTOR/star wars RPG)

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
So what is the current digital rate for a online focused title like Anthem? 50%? 70%? Either way it's a poor launch.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Andromeda sold more than double yes.
Andromeda itself was already nearly half of what ME3 sold in its first week.

Again. These are packaged sales comparisons and digital missing does skew the figures. Digital sales (which EA themselves say is approaching 50% of overall sales for them) are not counted. Nor is EA Access players. There were incentives to buy the digital ver. so I'd expect a really high digital share for the game.
Shame we its not included still. Hope we get it soon.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So what is the current digital rate for a online focused title like Anthem? 50%? 70%? Either way it's a poor launch.

According to EA - "Overall, 47% of our units sold were through digital rather than physical, measured on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 over the last 12 months."

So you can assume around that much for console version.
Of course the retail numbers in this thread don't include PC digital and all the other early digital incentives through EA Access or Origin.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Further proof that this GaaS trend is just a whole lot of hot air.

Bioware's well on its way to being shutdown and I've accepted that, but can some other publisher buy the Mirror's Edge IP from EA for the love of FUCK! The first game is a classic that still needs a classic follow up, and we ain't getting it from Lord Satan Andrew Wilson anytime soon.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Oof! I'm not normally the type of person to comment on sales unless a major milestone is reached by a game but damn, that is pretty bad for a game of this scale. It's by one of the biggest publishers, by one of the most loved developers and has been in development for 6 years.

Speaking of Mirror's Edge, I haven't played the sequel yet but I have little interest in doing so thanks to them going open world. All they had to do was address some of the weakest elements of the first game (Of which there were very few in my opinion). EA just loves to ruin good stuff and people.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
According to EA - "Overall, 47% of our units sold were through digital rather than physical, measured on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 over the last 12 months."

Of course the retail numbers in this thread don't include PC digital and all the other early digital incentives through EA Access or Origin.

Wouldn't that include catalog titles and games like Unravel 2 which would presumably skew much more digital?

Oct 26, 2017
Anthem had 750 people working on it nonstop for the last two years which means the last two years of development was probably around $180m.

The game was worked on in some form for five years prior to that.

This may be the most expensive video game ever made other than Red Dead 2.

So it kind of needed to do well.

And also, it's weird because outside of the graphics, there is no time in the game where the money spend shines through at all.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Bioware's well on its way to being shutdown and I've accepted that, but can some other publisher buy the Mirror's Edge IP from EA for the love of FUCK! The first game is a classic that still needs a classic follow up, and we ain't getting it from Lord Satan Andrew Wilson anytime soon.

This is perhaps the most poignantly true post I've read this week. It seems publishers have decided to chase the GaaS wave without understanding it's a trend with a seemingly fickle audience, judging by the way a significant portion of Fortnite install dropped the game for the latest and greatest.

"It'll be supported with updates." seems to be code for "We plan to release a really poor game." After Crackdown 3's selling less "at retail" than some local London mixtapes and Anthem bombing (again at retail) this is a worrying trend. I really hope no publisher is putting all there resources into this sector.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

That is simillar to what Activision has said about BOIIII sales. Digital sale through is over 40% compared to WW2 which was around 30%.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
don't worry anthem will bounce back on its next release date
word of mouth will get it up 1000x fold

Anthem had 750 people working on it nonstop for the last two years which means the last two years of development was probably around $180m.

And also, it's weird because outside of the graphics, there is no time in the game where the money spend shines through at all.
tho's 750 probably only worked for 1 year on the version released

Last edited:

Euler

Oct 27, 2017

Isn't it just AAA developers being awful at it? Dota 2, League of Legends, Rocket League, Overwatch, TF2, etc. show that GaaS can be fantastic.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017

It's not that its hot air, but it's an extremely limited market. There's only so many hours and money people can spend in these games, and by virtue of the system they don't want to play other games.

The GaaS trend is one of the most risk adverse industries in the planet betting on a fucking lottery and these dumbass execs will never understand that.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
That is simillar to what Activision has said about BOIIII sales. Digital sale through is over 40% compared to WW2 which was around 30%.
That is EAs full catalogue including Fifa with a lot higher physical share that something like Anthem for example.
The Playstation 4 platform is 36.5% for the last 12 months.

It varies a lot.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The demos and the critical reception hurt Anthem for sure though I wonder if Apex Legends did some too or not.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think if you're being quite generous you could say that Anthem sold maybe around 100,000 copies week one in the U.K. with everything taken into account (PS4/Xbox One retail, high PS4 and in particular Xbox One digital sales & total PC sales). We probably won't ever know for sure how many copies it did actually sell W1, the console retail total is only part of the picture after all.

Still that's obviously not a good result at all. Even big Nintendo games manage more than that on one system (obviously), it's well under Andromeda which was disappointing itself and it's definitely crushed by Destiny which is the obvious comparison to make.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017

Is there any way to know that for sure? I kinda doubt that 750 people were working full stop on the game for two years.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
The demos and the critical reception hurt Anthem for sure though I wonder if Apex Legends did some too or not.

This.EA Early Access/Premier did huge disservice to Anthem sales,i think.That thing is double edged sword:if the game is good-great,if not...well...EA will need some serious discussion and analysis if and how to proceed with that and future titles.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
So BF:V and Battlefront 2 were not enough to convince EA that maybe their titles need a bit more time in the oven, so they decided to release a 3rd major fuckup in a bit over a year because continues support is just going to fix it?

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
This.EA Early Access/Premier did huge disservice to Anthem sales,i think.That thing is double edged sword:if the game is good-great,if not...well...EA will need some serious discussion and analysis if and how to proceed with that and future titles.

Origin Premiere is strategically unsound IMO. It wrecks their game sales and people can just un-sub after a month.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
So BF:V and Battlefront 2 were not enough to convince EA that maybe their titles need a bit more time in the oven, so they decided to release a 3rd major fuckup in a bit over a year because continues support is just going to fix it?

They are having a bad year financially, which is why Anthem was pushed out before fiscal year end. It's bad short-termism.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever

It's been in development for 6 years, is that not enough time for Bioware to put out a competent product?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
It's been in development for 6 years, is that not enough time for Bioware to put out a competent product?
It should have been, but with how sparse the end product was, it was obviously rebooted a few times and Bioware had a ton of problems using Frostbite. You'd think after the issues other EA teams had using Frostbite like with ME: Andromeda, they could have just shared their tools with the Anthem team.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Origin Premiere is strategically unsound IMO. It wrecks their game sales and people can just un-sub after a month.

I mean, it's only on PC. MS are still selling games with Game Pass, at least when they're good like Forza Horizon or at least interesting with Sea of Thieves.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
The game we got was probably no where in development in 6 years, and EA had a hand in why Bioware was struggling. Even then giving Bioware an few extra months would have been a lot better for the game than just rushing it anyway to miserable critical and commercial reception.