• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like an embargo was just lifted

Kotaku
There's a nice balance to Origami King. At one point you might be in a dungeon heavy on turn-based battling, but then it'll break up these segments with combat-free, action-based stretches, or mostly peaceful exploration, or wandering around solving puzzles and chatting with random denizens of the Mario universe. So while I'm going to devote a bit of column space to discussing the turn-based battle system below, you should know that this is just one of the many ways you'll spend your time in Origami King.

Will a

VGC
There's still hope these systems will evolve as the game progresses, as there's still plenty left for the Origami King to unravel. And there's lots to love, too: the game world is beautiful, full of personality and fully open like the old days. The script is on-point with plenty of humour and another fan request, companion characters, have returned to the game.

None of these systems are likely to transform Origami King into the hardcore RPG sequel many fans have long-craved, but it could yet reshape it into a worthy instalment.

IGN
Nintendo has set a new precedent for re-imagining their major franchises on the Switch by taking established formulas and redefining what those games could be for new audiences on, but Paper Mario: The Origami King feels a bit like a half-step. The humor and light RPG elements still shine here, but those expecting a return to the glory days of The Thousand-Year Door, or those expecting something completely new, may be a bit disappointed. If you're looking for a lighthearted romp through a colorful kingdom with a band of whacky Mario characters, you're in for a treat.

GameXplain

Last edited:

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
One more!

Paper Mario: The Origami King has a ton of charm and but the battle system offers no challenge aside from lining up enemies. If you want a traditional Paper Mario experience, this is far from that but it's wonderfully paced and full of puzzles and laughs.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Drive-by post
Previews are largely all very positive. Gonna be a good one.
Thread is immediately on ignore though since the usual aspects are already here.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
No point in battling again? How can a developer be so tone deaf? That was THE main criticism of modern Paper Mario games....

I'm baffled and yet at the same time, I expected this.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, just get rid of the turn based battle system altogether, IS. Make it a full action-adventure game.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
It's not what I want out of an RPG, but if the exploration is good and the characters are charming then I'm still down for it!

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
How on earth do you make the same mistake with the battle system for the third time in a row

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The game looks great and sounds charming but the battle system is what made the old paper mario games some of my all time favorites. Sounds like a pass to me.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a prime example of gaming today: they read one tweet and make up their mind instead of reading/watching multiple previews to get a more holistic view of the game.

On topic, I'm super excited for this. Previews so far been very positive, and I'll love playing this with my son.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is a prime example of gaming today: they read one tweet and make up their mind instead of reading/watching multiple previews to get a more holistic view of the game.

On topic, I'm super excited for this. Previews so far been very positive, and I'll love playing this with my son.
The battle sysem is a key part of the experience to some of us. i am not settling for another Color Splash for full price.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Imma be real with y'all I did the same thing battle wise in paper Mario 64.

Just ran past any of em that I could

Actually I do that with any paper Mario game. Never saw a point in battling

Jul 24, 2018
I feel like they might as well make it into a 2D Mario ala Super Paper Mario at this point *sigh* I guess I'll give it a look regardless.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

2 people from GameXplain said the battles are basically not really needed. Andre said he started to shy away from it. Like please. People can read and multiple people have said it.

Paper Cheese

Oct 9, 2019
Cancelled my preorder. I completely understand that the game will almost definitely be charming and enjoyable, but it's just not what I'm looking for from Paper Mario. I'm excited for everyone who does pick it up and has a great time with it!

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Stoked for this. I'm fine with battling being mostly pointless, but I wish they would just exclude it completely Super Paper Mario-style if that's what they want.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
What is baffling is how they can make everything BUT the combat great lol

Like don't get me wrong, it looks interesting but the fact the progression system is almost meaningless for a 3rd time is......idk how to put it, odd? Like why wouldn't you just make a traditional system where you lvl up and gain more HP and new abilities and call it a day? It seems so so simple to implement. Well, at least the writing, locations, characters, set pieces and music will be great.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019

Multiple people including one who has beaten the game (see GX preview) have indicated there is no point in battling.

The stuff you get in battles only helps you....in battles.