• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Return to form my ass.

Well, that's a huge bummer. Definitely not paying full price for this.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Listening to the GmeXplain preview, Andre was treating the battles as a punishment for failure.

How can they mess up the same thing three times in a row in the exact same way? Like I get sticking to your vision, but at some point you have to realize that your vision for combat is just shit.
Oof.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Called it on AI partners. They just weren't advertised as a big part of the battle system with the prior lack of info, and being temporary I didnt expect them to lend much strategy.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Usually I like how Nintendo sticks to their vision. But this is ridiculous. If they don't want to make it an RPG anymore, why won't they make the battles in real time? Whacking enemies with the hammer or jumping on them. Similar to Super Paper Mario but in 3D. I don't get it.

Because Super Paper Mario was fucking boring.

Scanna

Nov 27, 2017
Honestly, does not sound that hot from the couple of previews I read. I could be in for the story and the world, but somehow I feel that it won't live up to TTYD in those regards too, judging from the trailers at least. The embargo probably is limiting these previews in what they can say about those aspects of the game.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Gonna ask in this thread...

Yesterday I bought the game Digital from here:

store.nintendo.co.uk

Home | My Nintendo Store

All Nintendo. All in one place. Shop Nintendo games, consoles, official merchandise, amiibo, and more on My Nintendo Store. Free Delivery on orders over £20.

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/ninten...e-origami-king-digital-download/12580213.html

It's the official Nintendo online store.

Will they send me the code in the mail or via email? I assume it would be via email but I haven't received it yet.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
there's a massive difference between skipping battles because you didn't enjoy them much/were tired of them, and skipping battles because they're literally pointless.

don't be disingenuous
But if someone was able to skip a bunch of battles in previous games and still beat it, then they've always been relatively pointless, no? Just because they gave you experience and levels doesn't mean the game was balanced in a way that required them

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

The battle system looks fun to me....

Isn't the point of playing a game to have fun? If you don't NEED to do it but it's still fun to do there's still a reason to do it.... That reason being to have fun...?

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Yeah, if I didn't still have GCU I wouldn't be grabbing it day one.

But I figured, grab this and Ghost of Tsushima and have an awesome weekend.
Ha, I'm jealous you still have GCU. Can't be many people left at this point.

I'll also be picking up Ghost, so I'm not too broken up about it.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Isn't the point of playing a game to have fun? If you don't NEED to do it but it's still fun to do there's still a reason to do it.... That reason being to have fun...?
it's fun for the first few times but once that fun has worn off what's the point anymore? these game have alot of battles in them so it's gonna stop being fun at some point

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019

When there's no point in battling we'll see how long that fun lasts. (Being serious here, if there is literally zero purpose in battles they better damn well be unique and change up frequently to stay fun).

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people still think Paper Mario is an RPG? Like, not even Nintendo is referencing to it as such anymore.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like both a bummer and great. Honestly very curious how it reviews now since imo it could go both ways. Most likely above color splash though, seems everyone agrees it is better than that game.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
I'm listening to the GameXplain preview discussion right now. Regarding the battle system, André says he thinks it helps not to look at the game as a typical RPG. Coinciding with that mindset, he's been treating battles as things to avoid.

I don't doubt you can find enjoyment in the game if you regard its battles as a secondary aspect, but it's still a bummer.

Last edited:

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
A lot of you are sounding like spoiled gamers. It's still a good game, one that can't ever live up to your standards it seems.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
super excited. don't really care about the XP/battle aspect, i can just look at it as a puzzle adventure game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hopefully i'm done with DP2 by the time the game releases

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Ah damn, not again with the battles being pointless. I mean, I guess it is still a step up, especially with the boss battles, but pretty disappointing that they are still sticking to this.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
There are playthroughs of Paper Mario 64/TTYD where people can skip every optional battle and still finish the game easily.

This series has never been a RPG where you can get attack, defense, speed+ and whatever else stat by leveling up so it might as well be "pointless". It's where you get your damage boost with the better boots, hammer and broken star powers just by progressing on the story. It's a "flaw" on the series that has existed since day one although some could argue that it's actually a perk.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
But if I don't need to get stronger...

In fact, I had to use expert mode because I was TOO strong.

What's the point of ever battling in any game ever?
That still doesn't defeat the purpose of battling. If someone wants to be even stronger, they can battle more. If you felt strong enough, that was your choice to not battle.

In comparison, there is no point to battling in Origami King. You get nothing.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Because Super Paper Mario was fucking boring.

I said similar, not the same. Give Mario sone simple combos with the hammer, I don't know. But why make it turn based and make the battles a waste of time and a hassle without EXP

What I'm trying to say, if they want to focus on funny writing and exploration, fine. But then make the battles quick and satisfying. I mean just the thought of having to endure a lot of "you hit the enemy!", transition into battle, moving the grid, choosing the attack, having Mario attack, ending the battle and getting the coins... all of that without a purpose (gaining EXP). What a drag

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like some people here believe that the regular fodder battles against non-bosses in Paper Mario titles were or are supposed to be challenging. I don't agree.

Game sounds dope, glad to see them continuing to make the kind of game they want ....series hasn't been a traditional PM for nearly 2 decades.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I'm ok if they get rid of EXP, but they need some kind of progression system to make the RPG-like battles interesting. Using coins for breakable weapons/help in battle sounds awful. RPG battles to collect thousands of coins that have real use is kind of dull.

I guess I just saved $60.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Okay

The point of battling is to get EXP to get stronger.

And his point is, what is the point of battles if you don't need EXP or items anymore?

Thing is, they turn obsolete then too, and you'll probably avoid them until the next encounter you can't avoid, like a boss or story-important one. ^^

If battles in Origami King are useless, don't do them and enjoy those which aren't useless, and according to Mr. Grubb, even fun and varied.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Seems like some people here believe that the regular fodder battles against non-bosses in Paper Mario titles were or are supposed to be challenging. I don't agree.

Game sounds dope, glad to see them continuing to make the kind of game they want ....series hasn't been a traditional PM for nearly 2 decades.

Nope. They gave EXP and if avoided, you could challenge yourself. Here, well, if avoided, nothing happens. You get less coins....big woop.