dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
That still doesn't defeat the purpose of battling. If someone wants to be even stronger, they can battle more. If you felt strong enough, that was your choice to not battle.

In comparison, there is no point to battling in Origami King. You get nothing.
I think you get coins, but I'm not sure what those coins are used for.

So any game that doesn't have experience, you're saying battling is pointless? Interesting...

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
What about games where you do not get EXP to get stronger (like Chrono Cross)

Never played it so I don't know how the progression works.

Undertale does a great job in making EXP a thing to avoid. Just don't think Paper Mario is going to get it right after 2 failures in understanding the issue. According to previews I am right about that.

Oct 31, 2017
But if someone was able to skip a bunch of battles in previous games and still beat it, then they've always been relatively pointless, no? Just because they gave you experience and levels doesn't mean the game was balanced in a way that required them

uhhhh.... no. The fact that they offered tangible rewards that weren't pointless at all proves that they aren't, well, pointless. If you fight, you will gain something from it. That's not the case with SS/CS/OK. Don't be dense

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta hand it to 'em, they did a pretty decent job with the marketing this time. I was almost convinced that it was going to be a good Paper Mario game with the return of partners and a battle system that doesn't encourage skipping fights entirely. Shame the previews had to come out and spoil the illusion.

A lot of you are sounding like spoiled gamers. It's still a good game, one that can't ever live up to your standards it seems.

Reminder that the "impossible standards" being set by "spoiled gamers" are literally to just make an RPG with party members and a worthwhile battle system.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
They have a very glowing preview over on the Metro/Gamecentral site, and say this in regards to the combat

The controversial element though is that because there's no levelling up there's no real reward for combat beyond coins and confetti (used to paper over holes in the game world), both of which are in ample supply outside of combat. But while it feels like this should be some fatal error on a part of the game design it doesn't really feel like that, in part because combat is very fast paced and never so frequent that you ever get sick of it. Unlike previous games, there's no faffing around with collectable stickers that you're never sure if you should use or not and no encounter lasts long enough to overstay its welcome.

They end the preview by saying they found the last two games a chore, but this is not and they can't wait to talk more about it.

I do find it a shame that people are so quick to write off the idea of playing the game already 🤷‍♂️

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it sounds like many of you don't like the battle system anyway. Tacking on EXP to placate critics isn't going to make battling more enjoyable if you've already written off the battle system. The crux of the problem is if the combat is not fun, not if there are any rewards for battling.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh? Most of the previews are saying the same thing re: combat. It's a big part of the games, why do we just need to ignore it?

It's why I don't like Chrono Cross either.
apprently for Paper Mario it's a problem to ask for what the series gave us. Proper battle systems with meaning. I've never seen this for any other series. I'm not lapping Up what Nintendo is trying to feed me. I play games and the battle system is integral.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I think you get coins, but I'm not sure what those coins are used for.

So any game that doesn't have experience, you're saying battling is pointless? Interesting...

the coins are used in battles. That's the criticism. It isn't like EXP or Badge points or FP where if you avoid battles you could create a challenge for yourself.

Oct 31, 2017

The battle system looks fun to me....

Isn't the point of playing a game to have fun? If you don't NEED to do it but it's still fun to do there's still a reason to do it.... That reason being to have fun...?

ummm... yes people play games to have fun. But also like literally everything anyone does in life, they want to feel rewarded for their efforts. If there's no point in battling eventually you'll be like "why bother?"

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
they should just use super paper mario's approach again. if combat is going to be as simple and unrewarding then id much rather just jump on an enemy's head and be done with it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
uhhhh.... no. The fact that they offered tangible rewards that weren't pointless at all proves that they aren't, well, pointless. If you fight, you will gain something from it. That's not the case with SS/CS/OK. Don't be dense
Why are you ending these posts with personal attacks? Chill the fuck out, you're a grown human being talking online about a Mario game. None of this matters.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn one of the Grubb tweets mentions that the game seems to have an Earthbound style "kill basic overworld enemies without initiating combat" mechanic, that's rad

Glad it seems like the overworld is rock solid. Exploring should be a lot of fun, bound to make up for basic enemy combat growing stale after a bit, as is usually the case with the series.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The lack of cohesion in game design combat-wise would be enough for me to skip this if it wasn't for the fact that my wife already preordered it. Guess I'll watch her play :D

First thing that's bothered me. Then again, if they're skippable, I'll just do that and play the game for everything else. Still a win for me, I guess.

Seriously, if you haven't, GO PLAY BUG FABLES. It's got bangin music, charming characters, a fun story, and a battle system more akin to TTYD, but better. It may not be as pretty as PM, but it's got everything else down.

I will still enjoy TOK though it seems. It honestly looks fun.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Although no EXP is a bummer.

My main problem was the SS and CS were just not fun battle systems. Just spam the enemies with cards or stickers and waste them

TOK seems like they are actually trying to add a fun aspect to battle. Couple that with less wasting of materials and even if the reward is still coins, you aren't *losing* as much as you did. SS and CS biggest problem wasn't that they were pointless, it was that, in many cases engaging in battles was actually disadvantagous

TOK seems like, according to Kotaku's preview, the ring puzzle is actually the engaging part. And if you do that perfectly, the enemies go down with ease. To me that sounds more like solve a puzzle get a reward, rather than turn based battles without rewards, with no strategy and sometimes actively detrimental.

It may be time to not think about this as trying to be a turn based system at all, and rather a puzzle adventure game.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Completely understand why there are people disappointed about the battles but as someone who doesn't really care about battle systems in most JRPGs anyway, to hear it's pointless is actually a significant boost for me. No worries about grinding or optimal strategies and instead it can just be a fun, well written adventure with some interesting puzzle bosses (as the previews seem to suggest)

Oct 31, 2017
But if I don't need to get stronger...

In fact, I had to use expert mode because I was TOO strong.

What's the point of ever battling in any game ever?

EXP is a tangible reward that accumulates when battling therefore they aren't pointless at all. If you don't want or need that reward then more power to you, but this is absolutely not a good argument or a "gotcha!"

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Presumably, because combat is fun and the game offers progression in some other way. Which based on the previews, does not seem to be the case.
Oh. I thought people were saying the combat IS fun. If it's not, then I would argue THAT is the problem. Not that you don't get rewarded appropriately for battling.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, so from the sound of it, battles are mainly there to impede your progress, and while winning them doesn't improve your stats, HP Up hearts do.

I was never the type to enjoy random battles (I usually kept Max Repels stocked in pokemon past a certain point) but that does sound like a weird thing to omit, albeit probably not crucial for me. I'll wait for reviews because the rest of the game seems really fun

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Completely understand why there are people disappointed about the battles but as someone who doesn't really care about battle systems in most JRPGs anyway, to hear it's pointless is actually a significant boost for me. No worries about grinding or optimal strategies and instead it can just be a fun, well written adventure with some interesting puzzle bosses (as the previews seem to suggest)

It's best to go into it with this mindset.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017

Oof. I don't know man, it sounds like it has a ton of charm from both Grubb and IGN previews, but it really doesn't feel like a game for me.

I think maybe i'd probably play it if they made the battles more worthwhile, nothing i hate more than a battle system that's just there or feels like a chore. I respect my time too much for that.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
But if someone was able to skip a bunch of battles in previous games and still beat it, then they've always been relatively pointless, no? Just because they gave you experience and levels doesn't mean the game was balanced in a way that required them

You can beat tons of jrpg at level 1 with some crazy set up including the PM titles, that doesn't mean the game was designed around players doing that. Paper Mario is clearly designed around leveling up as exp scales per area so that if you are underleveled you grow quickly, and if you are over leveled the game gives you tools to literally kill enemies on the world map by bumping into them.

There is also a huge difference between "I'm strong enough I'm going to start skipping fights and" and "these fights have no purpose so I'm going to skip them"

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played a Paper Mario game where running into enemies didn't feel like a punishment

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
A lot of you are sounding like spoiled gamers. It's still a good game, one that can't ever live up to your standards it seems.
Nah, I think people are well within their rights to be disappointed if an interesting or deep battle system is their priority. It's not something I value that highly and I'm really looking forward to the game but there's nothing wrong with those who do.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sooner everyone accepts these are light, super easy adventure games made with small children in mind, the better you might enjoy this.

Oct 31, 2017
What about games where you do not get EXP to get stronger (like Chrono Cross)

???

what is your guys' point lol because I'm not seeing one that's actually managing to create a valid defense for this really stupid design decision that IS is willingly making

But to answer your question, in CC I'd fight monsters until I stopped gaining stat boosts from fights until the next boss, unless certain enemies dropped items that I needed.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I'm kinda neutral on the battle system debate.
I feel like no battle system is good enough that I don't get bored of it halfway through the game so I don't mind that it is semi-pointless and skippable.
I also don't mind the battle system, though if lining up the enemies makes the battle end on the first turn most of the time anyways. I like the puzzle aspect of it more than the "battle" component.
To be fair, I never played the old PM games and have no nostalgia towards them.
I get that it sucks for OG fans, though.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Paper Mario threads are exhausting. All of these previews indicate that the battle system is better than in the last two games, even if it's not as strong as one would hope, and that pretty much everything else is as good or better too. Shouldn't that be enough?

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I skipped color splash because sticker star was so bad, was the combat in that a chore too? I didnt Hate the sticker system in sticker star but the fact that they were so scarce that you never wanted to battle because you would risk wasting good ones killed it. I was ok without leveling up, but the battles should have given you sticker packs or something to keep you stocked up.

The combat was used as a way to impede progress so you didn't blow through the levels too quickly, which is fine by me. If the combat itself in this game is fun and doesn't require grinding to have enough resources to continue I think it will be fine.

I do agree that they should just go back to the Super Paper Mario model though if they don't want to have normal rpg level mechanics anymore. Just treat the fodder enemies as level obstacles and save the cool battle mechanics for boss fights.

I am manly looking for a comedy driven adventure with exploration. My son will love that he can skip the battles too.