• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I'd be down for fantasy grand strategy as long as it is not procedural maps.

Yeah I'd be pretty excited for a well done, deep fantasy strategy game in the Paradox model. I still feel like it's likely to come from Triumph rather than PDS, though. AoW3 would've benefited greatly from Paradox's DLC model, so I'd be down for them just doing AoW4 or something similar and let PDS go with Rome or whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'd be pretty excited for a well done, deep fantasy strategy game in the Paradox model. I still feel like it's likely to come from Triumph rather than PDS, though. AoW3 would've benefited greatly from Paradox's DLC model, so I'd be down for them just doing AoW4 or something similar and let PDS go with Rome or whatever.

Yeah.

Also wouldn't hurt to see some interesting lore and world building if it turns out fantasy.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
I am hoping for Rome. I like Stellaris, but I always am much less invested in runs in that game because I don't get into the world like I do in Paradoxs historical offerings. It's just less exciting for me in that way and I feel like a fantasy world would give me the same issues.

Oct 31, 2017
Triumph Studios (Age of Wonders III) was supposed to announce their new game yesterday at PDXCOM 2018 in Stockholm.
Anyone got any news on what they revealed?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Sci-fi Age of Wonders, huh...

That's half of what I wanted so I guess I'm content.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
fuck yes rome 2

edit: It's called Imperator Rome and it has pops!

7Zjcf5K.png

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Quite excited for both of these. AoW3 already had some of the better tactical combat, so if this is going to be 4XCOM then I'm really excited to see what they can do. It also just looks beautiful. I'm glad they stuck with their engine and artstyle because I thought AoW3 was already an amazing looking game in the overworld.

Rome looks really cool, too. Do I see 4 types of government mana? And cities are better represented on the map, which is probably the small thing I've wanted from historical PDS games the most. I hope they can grow in some way over time to reflect investment in your provinces and cities.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Oh hell yes. Rome is pretty much the game I've been waiting for.

I've always loved CK2 / EU4 but Antiquity has always been my main historical period of interest so I'm beyond excited for this game.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
Nice, was hoping for Rome! Looks like they picked a fun starting time too, lots of little nations to play.

Shaldome

Oct 27, 2017
Aachen. Germany
So, y'all in for Europa Universalis: The Video Game: The Board Game?

They actualy joked about making a video game about the new board game.

Also , I realy liked the board games reveal trailer.

It was funny , because nobody knew what was coming.

And I haven't seen anyone mention it , Stellaris Distant Stars is coming out May 22nd.

Last edited:

Shaldome

Oct 27, 2017
Aachen. Germany
So I am back from PDXCON and as there is no own thread for it, I am going to post some impressions here.

The location this year was much better then last years. Although the old archive last year had a nice historical touch, it was quite cramped the different stuff was all over the place.

LAN party on Friday was again at Inferno Online and I was in one of the five Stellaris groups, mine containing ten players. Game was already with the Distant Stars expansion. Was fun, but five hours is not muchof time, for a lot of action. After that, it was off to the Paradox office, where you could load yourself up with some free beer.

The party at Scandic Malmen was fun and you had your first chance to get into contact with Paradox employers and fellow Con goers. They even had some Paradox themed cocktails.
Yes, thats 13,60 €/ 16 $ . No these come not in pint size glasses. That's Scandinavia for you and that's why you did load up on free beer at the Pardox office. Speaking of beer, that was horrible. I should find out on Sunday why. Other than that, there were life performances from Bands who did music for Cities Skylines and, I think, Surviving Mars.

Saturday the actual event started.
Weather was great and kept beeing great the whole time.
Inside

Main stage, which was nicely visited during all the talks. There were more chairs to the left and behind from where the picture was taken.

Part of the gaming area.
Most of the booths had some competition going on where the winner were announced on Sunday during Award Show. HOI4 for example you had to play Poland in the 1939 start. Winner was the one doing the most casualties. The best one did 1.1 million and got extra style points, because he did this with Polish cavalary only.
People got around the full booths, by occupying the Cities Skyline computers.
In the evening the big party started, including life performance from Pagan Fury which seem to be the official Crusader Kings metal band now.

That's the first song, which reminded me of For whom the bell tolls from Metallica. But all in all they were not bad.
I went back to the hotel at 0:30 , but some went for the whole distance until 02:00 , which was notable the next day.

Next day actually went identical like the day before. Talks on the main stage, playing games, on computer and in board form and having a good time while talking to likeminded people.
For what stood out on that day was the live performance from Rosa Kvartetten which played music from Paradox games, like they did last year and like last year it was awesome.
https://www.facebook.com/ParadoxInteractive/videos/10156598515454575/

Could not find a recording on YouTube. After the award show it was back to the Scandic Malmen location for some more beers and talks. That is when I found out that you have to be more specific then just ordering beer. So it turned out they had different kind of beer and I got the cheapest option, which was Heineken, which explained the "taste". I then started to order Bulldog and that was an immense improvement for the evening.

There was less cosplay this year which might have something to do with there beeing no cosplay contest this year, but besides people in uniforms there were a few.

This guy had dedication. I have not seeing him put of his head the whole evening and it was quite hot inside. He also tried to ask a question during the Stellaris panel, which didn't work to well with the paws and head, for the hilarity of all in the panel.

All in all I enjoyed myself again this PDXCON and will certainly be back next year.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, just a little thing.

Since I doubt Victoria 3 is ever going to be a thing proper, in a way I sorta just want EU4 to eventually get an expansion that boosts the End-Date by 50 years/a Century, adds another tier or two of tech and a few period-relevant events.

Yeah I know it won't hold a candle to a real Victoria 3 but it'd be a hell of a let less jarring than an EU4-Vicky 2-HoI4 jump is now considering that's two different generations of Paradox game design right there.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Figure I'd ask here, how is Stellaris compared to the other Paradox franchises? It's basically the only one I haven't tried yet. EU4 and Victoria 2 are my favourite games and I like Crusader Kings II as well. Hearts of Iron is not really my jam.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Figure I'd ask here, how is Stellaris compared to the other Paradox franchises? It's basically the only one I haven't tried yet. EU4 and Victoria 2 are my favourite games and I like Crusader Kings II as well. Hearts of Iron is not really my jam.
I would say it is more similar to EU out of all of the Paradox games. However, it is omre of a 4x game combined with grand strategy, so sins of a solar empire might be a better example.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
first I want to say that my view is a bit biased because I really like the concept of stellaris.
IMO the best feature of stellaris is the immersion! Every thing is full of cool things to explore and learn, you can create robots with advanced ai, you can use your enemies as food, you can enslave other races, you can make a federation, etc. The game captures that star trek sci fi feeling really well.
Imo where the game falters is the depth of the mechanics and the AI. Most mechanics are very simple with little interactions with each other, you won't find the possibility to form complex plans here. The AI for some reason is also not very good at creating interesting game challenges, for me the AI has a hard time cooperating with and against the player.
War is also a relatively boring, because it just comes down to whom has the more advanced fleet.
Imo stellaris is great if you want to role play as a galatic empire, it is an average game if you play it with other reasons

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018

The 4x elements separate it quite a bit from the others. If the other games are siblings, Stellaris is a cousin. It's the only one of the games you've listed to have essentially a randomly generated map for each campaign - although it generates a galaxy according to your parameters, not a terrestrial world like Civilization. It's sandboxy, but you have to make up the stories yourself to a larger extent than in the other games, because you're not painting on the canvas of history. Thankfully there's a lot of narrative baked into the game at various levels, although when you've played a couple of campaigns you're probably not going to be blown away by them. I can't speak for how the latest, story-focused DLC plays out as I ... haven't had time to try it yet. Generally the game is more enjoyable if you take a roleplaying rather than a min-maxing mechanical approach ot it.

Mechanically they've borrowed a bit from EU in the way wars and territorial claims are handled now, after a major overhaul to game fundamentals. If you never played it previously it doesn't really make sense to get into what they changed - in my opinion the changes were for the better, with the slight downside that the early game is now much more slow-paced. It's also the PDX game that features the most symmetrical starting power balance. Barring advanced AI starts and ancient, fallen empires (a feature in its own right) it's theoretically an even playing field where everyone starts out with the same amount of territory and resources, although the random nature of the galaxy dictates that some empires will have richer immediate surroundings.

Previously I'd have said get the Utopia DLC and the base game to see if you like it, but now that they've added the premier feature of Utopia to the base game (Ascension perks) you can get away with just buying the game itself. Utopia is still a good DLC for the extra Ascension paths and other features it adds, but it's not 100% critical anymore.