• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
Noticed quite quickly that the students who made it to TV the most where the white/Hispanic ones. I was like no way this is representative of the student demographics lmao

Gorger

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
This young man was shot 5 times as he threw himself against a door to keep the shooter out. The shooter fired through the door while trying to get in, but because the kid was holding the door shut, he wound up saving dozens of lives.

sL9Y4Bb.jpg

AFAIK he didn't die, but he was in ICU for over a week at least. He's one of the biggest heroes in the entire ordeal.

EDIT: just checked, the kid is still in the hospital, but alive.

Fuck, what a hero.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
This young man was shot 5 times as he threw himself against a door to keep the shooter out. The shooter fired through the door while trying to get in, but because the kid was holding the door shut, he wound up saving dozens of lives.

sL9Y4Bb.jpg

AFAIK he didn't die, but he was in ICU for over a week at least. He's one of the biggest heroes in the entire ordeal.

A true hero, I hope he recovers quickly.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I do my best to poke fun at the idiots trying to take down Mr. Hogg on Twitter. Constant barrages asking him why he isn't in class, accusing him of being a crisis actor, and saying his opinion doesn't matter because he's "just a kid".

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Just to be a realist here and ask a legitimate question,

would using black children actually hurt the cause given its america?

Not that the exclusive use of white kids has stopped conspiracy nuts or others from dismissing their voices. Also not saying the exclusion is right, just looking at outcome

It's like a double-edged sword in this country sometimes.

If there were more black kids in that core group of activists we see from the school, the media might not give them as much time. Sadly, white people are paid more attention to than black people.

On the flip side, the right wing assholes will point out the lack of a black kid in this group in order to create division, distraction and controversy among the Left, so that they keep the focus off of gun control.

I know Hogg has nothing but the best intentions here, but his opponents will probably use his racial representation observation against the gun control cause now. People will start asking about diversity and representation, so then the gun control debate will wind up running parallel, or even slipping behind. And then where are we at? Two causes competing for air time instead of single, united force aimed solely at ending gun violence.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Noticed quite quickly that the students who made it to TV the most where the white/Hispanic ones. I was like no way this is representative of the student demographics lmao
The county is about 25% black. Parkland is about 5% black. Stoneman is a public school so it should naturally have higher representation than the city of Parkland but i'm not sure how much more and if that 25% figure is accurate. I would be shocked if it had a 25% black population. It's not the only public HS in the area and Stoneman naturally is mostly Parklanders.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I've been to that school a couple of times recruiting. I don't know about 25 percent black, but it definitely has a more diverse student body than you would think. I am proud to hear this student speak up. I will have to find him online and say positive things

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do my best to poke fun at the idiots trying to take down Mr. Hogg on Twitter. Constant barrages asking him why he isn't in class, accusing him of being a crisis actor, and saying his opinion doesn't matter because he's "just a kid".

Don't forget the ones that put a Hitler mustache on him since only Hitler and the Axis powers enforce gun control, and the ones that say his cause is moot because he's also not campaigning to stop drinking and driving.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
These kids GO IN. If gen Z is taking their role models from the Parkland survivors, then maybe there is some hope for this world after all.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

sL9Y4Bb.jpg

this seriously need more media coverage, first time i've heard of him! It's a shame that he's not getting recognized for the amazing thing he's done! I would have cowardly run away if i was in his shoes

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The article says this but I want to shout out that West Point posthumously admitted this dude. RIP.

He wasn't the only ROTC POC either:

uv7gekp.jpg

Samantha Fuentes was shot in both legs. You might remember her as the girl that trump called and told her that she was a big fan of his (she wasn't) who got blasted by alt-right doofuses when she said he never even offered condolences.

Martin Duque was also killed in his ROTC uniform:

raoMMxq.png

He was posthumously decorated by the US Army.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
The county is about 25% black. Parkland is about 5% black. Stoneman is a public school so it should naturally have higher representation than the city of Parkland but i'm not sure how much more and if that 25% figure is accurate. I would be shocked if it had a 25% black population. It's not the only public HS in the area and Stoneman naturally is mostly Parklanders.

Yeah the school is like 10 percent black. Idk why he exaggerated so much, the point is still valid

MBeanie

Oct 27, 2017
Mentioned it earlier today in another thread but the faces of this movement as portrayed by the media have been prominently white, I had assumed that its was a prominently white school because of that. Knowing that a quarter of the school is made up of black students is a surprise given how the tragedy was covered.

Bright kid to analyze those details and call it out.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn't it have been Black pov's mainly? Why do White people get all the focus on everything? Shit is mad sad.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Don't forget the ones that put a Hitler mustache on him since only Hitler and the Axis powers enforce gun control, and the ones that say his cause is moot because he's also not campaigning to stop drinking and driving.

I do love the ones that try to say that if guns are banned they should ban cars and bikes and knifes and everything else that can bring harm to people.

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound

sL9Y4Bb.jpg

Dude's a goddamn hero

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017

sL9Y4Bb.jpg

I think this was the kid who was sent a jersey signed by the Barcelona team. They also invited him to come meet them I think.

I've been impressed by these students in general but I've of the things they have done especially well is just being inclusive. They've recognized they can get attention where students from inner city Chicago can't and have invited them to speak alongside. They haven't gotten defensive when questions come up about why these white kids get to be on TV, they've just agreed it's an Injustice and said they are doing what they can. They've shared the spotlight with each other without really have a leader. It's impressive.

And there have been a handful of Hispanics getting coverage. Emma Gonzales and Alfonso calderon are asking the most prominent.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Is there racial bias in the no fly list? Not trolling genuinely curious.
Considering that the No Fly List results in serious problems for people who just have the same name as people on the No Fly List, yes, there is a racial bias in the No Fly List. There's little reason to suspect that a little baby might be plotting dastardly deeds of terror just because his name happens to be Mohammed so and so, but that doesn't stop the DHS from making life hell for those poor people if they attempt to fly. And there's little way to appeal if your name is on the list.

Oh, and the fun fact is that a probe by the Inspector General (presumably of the DHS) found 72 DHS employees who were on the No Fly List, which is fun.

Oct 25, 2017

sL9Y4Bb.jpg

I haven't even heard about him. What a fucking hero. Very few people would do what he did. It's a travesty the media has been ignoring his story for the most part and other minorities in the school.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
As a millennial, I feel like my generation always felt like "the grown ups" would finally fix the issues. I think Gen Z is so far removed from the "American dream" that they have the tenacity to get it done. They give me up in this Trump era.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why couldn't it have been Black pov's mainly? Why do White people get all the focus on everything? Shit is mad sad.
I kinda wonder that the media made the faces of the movement whiter so it could stand more of a chance of moving the topic on gun violence. It's a bitter pill to swallow to think that it's possible racism has led to a movement for better gun control.

OP
OP
ShaheedMalik

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't even heard about him. What a fucking hero. Very few people would do what he did. It's a travesty the media has been ignoring his story for the most part and other minorities in the school.
I wonder how he is doing. Has there been any progress on how he is doing? I am sure if he was shot through the door, it may have slowed down the bullet but still messed him up.

Oct 26, 2017

sL9Y4Bb.jpg

God damn. Hero has never been better used.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

sL9Y4Bb.jpg

what the fuck? How in the hell has he not been hailed as a hero in the news?

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what the fuck? How in the hell has he not been hailed as a hero in the news?
You know why. But also many heroes throughout these incidences are often forgotten about. Usually the shooter gets all the biographical reporting and interviews, this time it's the student activists.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The young woman in front is hispanic

Yeah, Emma is in many ways the face of this movement. She's super popular on social media (1m+ followers on Twitter) and is also a huge target of those that oppose what they're trying to do. A Republican actually ended up dropping out of race because of the backlash that he received after calling her a "skinhead lesbian".

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Good, what a fucking scumbag. How big of an insecure coward do you have to be to try and bully a passionate survivor of a school shooting?

It's both amazing and really sad how adults have gone after these kids. David's little sister has actually been trying to get Melania Trump's attention over Trump Jr. helping perpetuate a conspiracy theory about David that's led to a lot of bullshit for her family