• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really matter much to me but those segments in the OP are clearly ripping the original artist, I don't know why some people in here are downplaying the differences.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Next on "Is it a Ripoff?"

Is the design of the Series X a ripoff ?!?

qI1EEvz.jpg

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
If its the same timing as in the comparison video that's pretty bad, buf either video were edited to sync timing I say meh.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Lot of people using 'coincidence'. Not sure I buy that at all.

It won't be a coincidence, but it won't be Microsoft actively saying let's rip off this video either. It'll just be some designer/director/whatever thinking that was a cool video I'll use that idea for this Microsoft project.

Don't think you can point fingers or lay blame at MS. Not a lot you can do about it, and no point getting the hump about it unless you're the original designer in which case just privately deal with it with MS and pocket some 'sorry' cash or something.

Murdock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
They have a soccer guy jumping. I swear to god ive seen a soccer guy jumping during a real game. That sum straight up coping bullshit

Jun 22, 2018
It's a fine line between being inspired by something and ripping it off. Given how short the period of overlap is between the two videos, this feels more like it was used as inspiration. They didn't copy the entire video or lots of the shots. I just see the one with a line of light moving across the landscape as being similar. I wouldn't call it a rip off job.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
It's obvious, but people are still gonna deny it

Yeah, that's the biggest red flag for me. It's one thing to copy the theme, but framing/compositing too?

Exactly, like, I understand people saying the 'concept' isn't something that can be ripped off cause it's been done hundreds of time before, however, in this case we're shown literally framing/composition that are essentially identical. Yet, there's still others saying there's no ripping off even with Microsoft doing this once before with Slack lol. Even if you didn't wanna use the word 'rip off' it's clear they still copied the framing/composition of these shots.

But aye, if the mods wanna close the thread by all means go ahead lol

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
So the people saying it was a clear ripoff, did you watch both videos entirely or just the edited video in the tweet?

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While we're pointing out stuff that MS has ripped off. I would just like to say that I came up with the Series X name earlier this year. I now demand 5% of all total sales of the console going forward. Thank you.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I don't get this one... isn't the Xbox ad using an existing speech? And the visuals aren't similar whatsoever.... is he trying to claim an intriguing old speech narration is the idea he came up with???
Big Reach IMO. Wasn't arguing for or against by posting, just sharing the previous "controversy" that was being asked about.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So light wiping over two completely different images is copying someone's work now?

Lmao

This deep level console warring is so cringy.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I don't necessarily think the idea is all that unique, but yes, there are definitely some similarities.

That slack one though, woof.

Edit: Goddamn. Another thread where people can't have a conversation because everything is apparently "console wars" now.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I feel like you'll find the same in any telecom or energy company's ad about lighting up or connecting the country, it's a bit of a reach.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Those shots are damn near 1:1. How is that a reach???

EDIT: Folks are editing videos to draw this conclusion? That's pretty suspect.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
If one dude is responsible for that particular few seconds of the video, do y'all really think it's realistic or even possible to verify it isn't plagiarised?

Jun 23, 2019
It doesn't really matter much to me but those segments in the OP are clearly ripping the original artist, I don't know why some people in here are downplaying the differences.

lol You know the reason why. Even if you wanted to say MS came up with the idea themselves, those shots are wayyyy too similar to pass off as coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.