• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Not unusual enough, since it's missing the undisputed game of the year, EXAPUNKS :p

It also doesn't have Pillars of Eternity 2, or Valkyria Chronicles 4.
The only game I might have in my own top 5 that's in this list is Battletech.

I guess that mostly just reinforces the point another poster made of how many great games were released in 2018.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Whatever lists, however much I may disagree with them, that feel more personal, less about hype and AAA size, I support. There's a too monolithic impression of taste in mainstream gaming.

This list feels like clickbait. Respect the Obra dinn pick but Florence #1?? its 45 minute cutscene. Interesting, but barely a game. Also this is the same website that said red dead 2's portrayal of Charles was "redface" and racist so of course it couldn't make their list. Good luck with that, paste...

You're solidifying the reaction to alternative opinions in games press as 'clickbait' or 'attention whoring' as a childish stereotype of a gamer. How is a small number of staff members voting for their personal favorites 'clickbait' just because you don't like all the choices?

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
The average customer looks at these lists to get an idea for what to buy for Christmas.
Maybe, but then I'd have to question why it's titled as a game of the year list rather than a holiday shopping ideas list. And also if it's a holiday shopping list then having digital only indie games dominate the top spots is a little strange.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Only relatively good list I've seen so far. Makes me happy when writers don't just look around and see which games everyone's talking about most to curate a list

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not into this "best of the year" list in December thing (can you not wait to get your hits in January?)

No, they can't, because one of the biggest sources of clicks and eyeballs for "best of the year" lists for videogames is people looking for a buyers' guide for Christmas shopping. That's why all this stuff happens earlier and earlier every year, because the window for the highest audience interest in the subject is in the early December window.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I may not like God of War but I can't deny how much it's resonated with people so it not being in the top ten, let alone the top half is pretty baffling.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Lots of indie love <3
Read Dead Redemption 2 nowhere to be seen, as it should be :p

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I should thank them for alerting me of Gris, Florence, and Dandara.

I just wish I could play Obra Dinn. My pc just isn't up to snuff, currently.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just happy to see Yakuza make it onto a year-end list, even if it isn't top ten. But man the salt that some people have over these kinds of lists...too funny haha.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty great list actually, something nice to reference when I'm looking for my next indie game to play.

Amazing that something like Into the Breach can be ranked above God of War lol.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
But...no one has played Gris yet aside from reviewers.

Imo it's unfair to list a game that hasn't released yet.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is actually a pretty good list. Though I heard some bad things about NNK2. Will give it a shot around Christmas if it gets a good sale.

Have a long trainride today so I decided to buy Florence thanks to this list.

Edit: I'm also happy to see "Where the water tastes like wine". That game went under the radar hard but I really enjoyed my time with it.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty similar to how would make my list, minus most of the AAA stuff. The only big question mark is NNK2 over DQ11?

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Missing PoE 2 for me,
Minit is way too high (I liked it enough, but it was definitely one of my biggest disappointments of this year.) I wouldn't put it in the top 30 at all, honestly.
Donut County is too high as well

Overall nice list, better than most we'll probably see this year.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised Dandara is getting so much love. Didn't really click with me. The platforming mechanics can get frustrating rather easily, map traversal can be a pain and discourages exploration, and the visual style & story isn't all that special either.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
This is actually a pretty good list. Though I heard some bad things about NNK2. Will give it a shot around Christmas if it gets a good sale.

Have a long trainride today so I decided to buy Florence thanks to this list.

Edit: I'm also happy to see "Where the water tastes like wine". That game went under the radar hard but I really enjoyed my time with it.
Yeah still need to get on WTWTLW. Obra Dinn so far isn't clicking with me sadly, singleplayer Clue is too much work and too little play.

Garf107

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting list, nice to see Into the Breach ranking high, it's probably my pick for this year. That being said, I don't get the love for Florence – it's interesting but a bit shallow for my taste, and the "hate" for Red Dead Redemption (especially given the relationships theme of the list).

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Very interesting that the medium is getting to a point of maturity (in some aspects) where a 30-minute experience can be regarded as the best of the year.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
What I like about Florence is that it's pretty much the game equivalent of a gentle romantic comedy rather than an overly-long action film that requires a big boss fight at the end and plenty of violence along the way. Nice to see something commenting on everyday stuff rather than treating relationships as a five minute sidequest in yet another fifty hour campaign that leaves hundreds dead. Maybe one day we'll get to the point where major publishers feel like they can also put money behind something that isn't fantasy combat and levelling up through getting better at it.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
I may not like God of War but I can't deny how much it's resonated with people so it not being in the top ten, let alone the top half is pretty baffling.

Luckily the list reflects the author's own thoughts on a game rather than the critical consensus, so the fact that it resonated with a lot of other people is completely irrelevant.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Hey I like lists like this. Far more interesting than the usual obvious AAAs occupying the top 10, and gives me a few new games to check out.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Minit is great and lots of fun. Not "God-of-War-lots-of-fun" though.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nice to see Return Of The Obra Dinn, Minit, Donut County, Celeste, wandersong, and Florence getting recognition on GOTY lists. The New Yorker and Paste, nice work.

People getting offended by RDR 2 snubs is quite funny, how much more recognition does a critically acclaimed and million selling game need? People who shout "clickbait" don't even know what they're talking about.

Last edited:

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What I like about Florence is that it's pretty much the game equivalent of a gentle romantic comedy rather than an overly-long action film that requires a big boss fight at the end and plenty of violence along the way. Nice to see something commenting on everyday stuff rather than treating relationships as a five minute sidequest in yet another fifty hour campaign that leaves hundreds dead. Maybe one day we'll get to the point where major publishers feel like they can also put money behind something that isn't fantasy combat and levelling up through getting better at it.
This is a really great post.

I still play my fair share of shooters and violent games because I like the Gameplay and some of the stories they tell. But tbh I'm getting sick of all the killing and the focus on killing as the main aspect of most games. Maybe it's because I'm getting older but I would really like to see more developers focusing on different tasks.

Take Red Dead 2 as an example, the O'Driscolls alone had to be a gang thousands strong. It got pretty boring shooting hundreds of dudes. The best parts of red dead were the interactions with the world, soaking in the atmosphere of this vibrant and beautiful world. Why not focus on fewer but better shootouts with a clever AI?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

I still play my fair share of shooters and violent games because I like the Gameplay and some of the stories they tell. But tbh I'm getting sick of all the killing and the focus on killing as the main aspect of most games. Maybe it's because I'm getting older but I would really like to see more developers focusing on different tasks.

Take Red Dead 2 as an example, the O'Driscolls alone had to be a gang thousands strong. It got pretty boring shooting hundreds of dudes. The best parts of red dead were the interactions with the world, soaking in the atmosphere of this vibrant and beautiful world. Why not focus on fewer but better shootouts with a clever AI?
Oh absolutely. I love strategy games and a huge chunk of them are about efficiency in eliminating the opposition writ large rather than one-by-one, I also love RPGs and enjoy the atmosphere and scenic views of Skyrim as much as I do chastising restless dead lizards, but variety in game design is always refreshing, and I'd rather have had half a dozen truly different and terrifying dragon battles than 50+ that all used the same limited tactics as the first. By a third of the way through the game they are like flying vermin to you, a distraction from what you are otherwise trying to do, rather than the legendary threat matching the hushed tones as npcs discuss them. A smaller amount of combat requiring more thought, given gravity and treated as high points of emotion and threat, would also mean seeing each major victory as an accomplishment rather than the same as your fiftieth trip to the shops.

Seeing adventure games called 'barely games' because they aren't accompanied by the rattle of gunfire or the clash of swords, and tend to have progression gated by puzzles or simple reading or moving through the world or story just seems like gatekeeping to me. Like a game can only be a game if it stays firmly in the comfort zone of fantasy, violent conflict with skill-at-arms the idealised currency of progress. We don't call romantic comedies 'barely films' because they don't require anyone to punch someone through a building or shrug off multiple gunshot and melee injuries that have conveniently missed all internal organs. If anything, such films used to get snubbed by critics in favour of character pieces, which makes me wonder whether both players and the large publishers that target them like to 'circle the wagons' around the geek playgrounds of gunfights and superheroes and fantasy combat as the defining source material of games, still sore about it being badged as pulp entertainment when we were kids but now resistant to it diversifying beyond that as it's grown into the biggest media industry on the planet.

Last edited:

Out 1

Oct 25, 2017
The moment I saw that God of War and Monster Hunter World are outside top 20, I knew this is going to be a good list.
Not throwing shade on both games. both are good, and among the best of this year.

My thoughts exactly. Throwing hundreds of same enemies at you felt like an archaic design choice in a game like RDR2.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Lol @ Minit.

It's cool with outliers, but sometimes it feels like people are forcefully trying to come across different or original. Whatever, it's just an opinion and I'm not in the head of those who made the list; they may well have enjoyed Florence the most out of all of these.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I live for offbeat indie lists like these at the end of the year.

Not gonna challenge their inclusions, seeing as I played very few games from this year. But I did play Graveyard Keeper and while I enjoyed it mostly, I have to say uh putting it that high? Nyeh, this must have been a poor year for games.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I love to see lists like this. There's some games I've never heard of on here (Donut Shop, Just Shapes, Water Tastes Like Wine, Gris, Graveyard Keeper) that I'll now check out and some games that I adore that need to get some love (Obra Dinn!!).

That's ultimately the value I see in these lists. People complain about a lack of curation on these storefronts or a lack of discoverability. That's what these GOTY lists are for me.

The rankings themselves don't matter IMO.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Hadn't heard of Florence before, but I'm not surprised given it being a mobile game. I'd like to give it a shot.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Great, fresh list. Literally downloaded Florence to my phone last night. And to everyone missing their favorite run-of-the-mill AAA game, don't worry, all other lists will be full of them. Just let this one slide.

Weak contrarian click bait, nothing more.
Huh? In this sense every GOTY list is clickbait then.