erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Glad to feel vindicated about my thoughts late last night about the patch. With the sharpening on it really get close to a cell shaded look and I kinda love it.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
My eyes and brain relax the most with:
AA off / DoF off / Sharpening high / Blur off
It actually reminds me of the Monster Hunter games on PSP.

I basically looked at distant buildings and tweaked it to whichever setting that gave me to most clarity to those distant buildings. I'll gladly sacrifice having a shimmering Geralt for this clarity (and to be honest, I got used to it within 1 minute, but now have full clarity).

Now if only I have a clue what to do in the game.... lost and just standing there with my horse and it's dark and raining :( *puts it back into sleep mode*

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so when you don't have the complete edition on PC, the cross save is one way, even if you aren't anywhere close to the DLC content? So that menu to choose your PC edition is just for downloads, eh? Bummer.

I never got around to getting the Expansion Pass cheaper and now it'll probably never again be discounted, so I might as well fork over those 25 €...

EDIT: But that does actually work, doesn't it? I don't literally need the same edition of The Witcher 3, just access to the same content?

Last edited:

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so when you don't have the complete edition on PC, the cross save is one way, even if you aren't anywhere close to the DLC content? So that menu to choose your PC edition is just for downloads, eh? Bummer.

I never got around to getting the Expansion Pass cheaper and now it'll probably never again be discounted, so I might as well fork over those 25 €...

EDIT: But that does actually work, doesn't it? I don't literally need the same edition of The Witcher 3, just access to the same content?

For what it's worth I own the GOTY edition on steam and uploading saves isn't working so with that bug it seems unrelated.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth I own the GOTY edition on steam and uploading saves isn't working so with that bug it seems unrelated.
I have the GOG version and actually see the saves, it just tells me it needs the DLC content. Digital Foundry just confirmed that, oh well. I kind of do want to see Toussaint in glorious detail anyway.

Jun 2, 2019
I have the GOG version and actually see the saves, it just tells me it needs the DLC content. Digital Foundry just confirmed that, oh well. I kind of do want to see Toussaint in glorious detail anyway.

I have the standard GOG version (not DLC) so this worries me. I want to be able to crosssave, at least until I reach the DLC on Switch.

I'm ready to buy the Switch version after watching the DF video

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Double checked just to make sure, and I have all the equivalent DLC on PC that I do on Switch, so that can't be the issue with Switch save uploads.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
What a game changer this patch was.

High sharpening, no depth of field, and no AA make the game look MUCH sharper and doesn't look like vaseline was smeared all over my monitor when playing docked. Of course it's not perfect because in doing so it does highlight way more artifacts, but for this game I would much rather have the image be sharper and look "rougher" then the blurry mess it was before.

Adding in cloud saves that work with Steam and GOG is just icing on the cake.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
  • Sharpness: High
  • Depth of Field: Off
  • Anti-Aliasing: Off
Game looks really good with these settings (in handheld mode). Those are the ones I recommend.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Wolfenstein 2 was given something similar its amazing the game is running at all but the smeared look is hard on my eyes.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised how many people like AA off and sharpening high. Doesn't the glimmer effect bug you?

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
I saw someone on Reddit mention that when they switched to a different internet connection, it worked fine (and when they switched back, the error came back). It seems that error might be network related. It might be worth trying it somewhere else, or with a hotspot from your phone or something...

It's possible the upload and download use an unusual port and could potentially be blocked by your router for some reason.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Its made playing the game on handheld alot nicer, AA off with sharpening low I think is the sweet spot for me.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
What are the best settings in Switch docked mode?

Blur off
AA off
Sharpening high
Bloom on
Depth of field on
Foliage visibility range high?

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
My settings:

Motion Blur: OFF
Blur: OFF
Depth of Field: OFF
Sharpening: High
AA: ON

These look the best to me in portable mode. I'm so glad they gave us a separate option for DOF in gameplay and cutscenes.

My only complaint is that the game turns the AA off too often to mantain framerate.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
seeing more and more people online with the same issue with uploading saves from the switch, but no solution yet. anyone here who had issues have any luck yet?

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Much less than the vaseline look.

I personally dont find it to be too smudgy, especially when sharpness is on high.

Heres a quick comparison of AA on, Sharp High

JTqCXBL.jpg

Compared to AA off and Sharp on low

Xc8fVvr.jpg

As others have said, AA on + sharp on high (the top image) almost has a neat cell shaded look

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
I still can't get over how good the upgrade looks. I accepted lower visuals because it's portable, but with AA on and Sharp High it's blowing my mind how crisp everything is

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
What are the best settings in Switch docked mode?

Blur off
AA off
Sharpening high
Bloom on
Depth of field on
Foliage visibility range high?
Yep this. I personally like all blur effects on, but this are basically the best looking settings in docked mode.
My rule: AA on in portable mode, AA off in docked mode. Sharpening high all the time.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I personally dont find it to be too smudgy, especially when sharpness is on high.

Heres a quick comparison of AA on, Sharp High

JTqCXBL.jpg

Compared to AA off and Sharp on low

Xc8fVvr.jpg

As others have said, AA on + sharp on high (the top image) almost has a neat cell shaded look
Well yeah, AA off and Sharpening on low isn't that much different than AA on with Sharpening on high.

However, AA off + Sharpening high (screenshot not included) gives that final edge surpassing all when it comes to visual clarity in distant objects. To me, the trees in your background look like it's a water-painted background, even though it's not a background. My brain can't handle the constant feeling of "Do I need to rub my eyes? Am I seeing blurry?". The most shimmering setting combination eliminates that, but yeah, you have to deal with some shimmering (but I'm used to that from my older games).

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
This makes me want to buy the Witcher on Switch now even though I have it on GoG and have never started it.

I'm much more likely to play it portably (is that a word?), and knowing I can move my save over to the PC for fancy max graphical fidelity and performance / mods is just ace.

I've got such a backlog though that I might wait for now. Still making my way through RDR2 and Control on PC...

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
seeing more and more people online with the same issue with uploading saves from the switch, but no solution yet. anyone here who had issues have any luck yet?
Well there was this post here:
I saw someone on Reddit mention that when they switched to a different internet connection, it worked fine (and when they switched back, the error came back). It seems that error might be network related. It might be worth trying it somewhere else, or with a hotspot from your phone or something...

It's possible the upload and download use an unusual port and could potentially be blocked by your router for some reason.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
Well yeah, AA off and Sharpening on low isn't that much different than AA on with Sharpening on high.

However, AA off + Sharpening high (screenshot not included) gives that final edge surpassing all when it comes to visual clarity in distant objects. To me, the trees in your background look like it's a water-painted background, even though it's not a background. My brain can't handle the constant feeling of "Do I need to rub my eyes? Am I seeing blurry?". The most shimmering setting combination eliminates that, but yeah, you have to deal with some shimmering (but I'm used to that from my older games).

The problem of AA-off lies more in the city, the shimmering is quite pronounced with all the straight edge on building. It almost looks like the background is always flickering. In the field like Skellige not so much.

Then again we all prefer different things and It's good that we have the option to choose what we like, Saber interactive did a great job.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I ended up settling with DF's recommendation of AA-on, Sharpening-high, and I'm very happy with it.

Didn't hate how it looked before patch, but I'm very happier with the settings I'm running now. Makes the port seem all the more impressive.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Then again we all prefer different things and It's good that we have the option to choose what we like, Saber interactive did a great job.
Yep, that's the only thing that I kept thinking of reading this thread and typing my posts. There's no superior taste here: they gave us all the options to personalize our preferences. And they did all that within 3 months.

Whereas my Dark Souls copy still can't swap the A and B button for confirm/cancel.

Edit: the grass moves now. Damn.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
Fuck it, the game is now downloading on my Switch, and first thing I'm doing is getting my save on the fucker. Can't believe I'm so hyped for a patch it made me double dip

Crosssave with PC is a legitimate game changer and gives a new meaning to the nature of the Switch. I hope more games follow suit because as a PC+Switch user this is sorely needed.

I only have a few graphical mods (E3 build lighting, Henry Cavill as Geralt and barely anything else) so hopefully nothing will be impacted

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
For those having problems with the save transfer. Try checking the file integrity of your install. Somehow I had 17 files missing (maybe mod related) after steam redownloaded them it worked like a charm.

unfortunately i've tried this and it didn't work. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the PC version, no dice. So far I've tried:

-double checking that I have all the DLC (I do)
-logging out and back into the share service on switch and relogging on steam
-reinstalling the PC version
-verifying file integrity of the PC version

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Never played Witcher 3 or any in the series. I'm looking for a deep RPG. Will this satisfy?

please do. Its one of my fave games ever (next to ocarina of time, breath of the wild and hollow knight). I almost never play games twice but I played 100 hours of the ps4 version and already 65 hours on the switch version. Its an engrossing world with great stories and fun missions. Gwent is life. The Switch update makes this game look lovely.

Edit: don't worry about not playing previous games. I haven't played them either. The game does a decent job of introducing you to the characters and world in the first ten hours or so, and if you're lost in lore you can always ask here or check the internet.

It's a western rpg though, so its more like the modern AC-games (Origins and Odyssey took huge inspiration from The Witcher 3) or somewhat Skyrim, less Final Fantasy or Persona.

Oct 26, 2017
unfortunately i've tried this and it didn't work. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the PC version, no dice. So far I've tried:

-double checking that I have all the DLC (I do)
-logging out and back into the share service on switch and relogging on steam
-reinstalling the PC version
-verifying file integrity of the PC version
Sorry to hear that. Only thing I can think of is that maybe you reached your cloud save capacity on steam. Highly unlikely though.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What version is this patch? I currently have 3.6 installed and no new updates available but I didn't see it download so maybe I just missed it. Don't have the cart to check in-game right now.