Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
You could also argue that rewarding someone who has a pretty extensive history of being a shitty dude for more of his shitty behavior isn't the best idea.

ANd it can argue that, sure, that guy may not change, but think of all of the people that follow Patton on Twitter that might be influenced by this, people in the middle or disenfranchised people or, yes, maybe even trolls or conservatives that might change their minds, or young people that are still forming their consciences. If you are so cynical that you cannot accept the act of charity as good just for its generosity, perhaps you can be persuaded by the impact it may have on people BESIDES the recipient.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Just give people healthcare already so GoFundMe isn't the primary method by which people are told they're going to live or die.

This whole thing is so fucked up.

Oct 25, 2017
Just give people healthcare already so GoFundMe isn't the primary method by which people are told they're going to live or die.

This whole thing is so fucked up.

I agree with this. I almost wish it didn't exist just because it's such a shitty lottery of fuckery. You shouldn't need a pr campaign just to pay for surgery or pills. I'm glad some have been saved at least.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
The guy is probably not going to fundamentally change, but everyone deserves health care. Even pieces of shit. Obviously by methods other than the generously and whim of strangers.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds eerily likes things Republicans say about not paying taxes towards government programs, because they should be allowed to spend the money on the people and causes that they deem worthy.
nah

money paid directly to a racist and sexist doesn't sound like taxes

it does sound like not wanting to give money to racists and sexists though, you can accuse me of that.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's darkly ironic that the dude who needs crowdfunding for medical bills is against the dem's health plan.

Still was nice to see it paid, hope he gets better.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes, you can be the better person and forgive them for being shitty people.

It's hard not to feel bad for their plight despite their trolling.
Why should I forgive someone for them being shitty? I've dealt with tons of these people in my life, they just take advantage of you being "nice". They don't heel turn just because they got a handout for attacking you, they just use you instead.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I donated money to an old teacher of mine, who harassed me for about a year about how great Donald Trump is. It got so bad that he was just attacking my person and I had to temporarily mute him...I learned recently that he's been ill and that he now has Stage 4 cancer of the liver.

I did get a thank you email from his wife after sending him some money. I dunno if I felt anything really, or if he even remembers me...but whatever. Nothing much worse than death and helping to hopefully prevent an untimely one seems like a good thing to do.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
It's an uplifting story for sure.

But then I think of my mom who was a nurse for 42 years, saved lives and took care of countless others, and the last few years of her life were spent dirt poor with Alzheimer's and no one willing to help with her care unless we could cough up thousands of dollars a month. If only she had insulted Patton on Twitter...

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, I hope none of you guys ever run a charity. "Hmmmm, let's see who is deserving of our charity today." lol

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
He could've raised that money for someone that's more deserving. But hey he helped saved a troll and maybe huff post will write an article about it, good for him.

You can say this about *anything*. Any money spent on anything could be argued to spent in a better way or on a more deserving person. It does nothing other than discourage people from charity. I'm not saying you should willingly spend money on murders etc but you gotta reconcile the fact that acts of kindness won't always be optimal. Be happy these moments exist at all.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
He could've raised that money for someone that's more deserving. But hey he helped saved a troll and maybe huff post will write an article about it, good for him.

Patton felt that this individual was deserving, and that's all that matters. He's an individual who felt a need to help another individual.

Being bitter that someone was helped is a really odd look.

Oct 27, 2017
Misplaced kindness. Money should be used to save the life of a person who isn't filled with hate instead. @ me all you want and call me miserable, this racist didn't deserve the kindness he received.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread reminds me ERA is an awful place, and I should find a better place to aggregate my news.

Cool, why you telling us that?

For the topic, asshole is an asshole, but everyone deserves healthcare without crippling financial burden. That is the minimum reason one should help this guy.

I'm broke as fuck, so I cant, but good on the ones that did.

This is a depressing way to view charity for others.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is something we can ALL agree on.
indeed
so maybe giving it away to shitty people that will vote against it is very counter-productive. I doubt the dude will come out of this thinking "man universal healthcare would be awesome" and more like "lol why are people asking for healthcare just beg on social media"

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
I fucking hate the message that this sends. "Be a toxic, racist asshole to rich celebrities on social media and maybe they'll pay your medical bills."

What message does this send to the good people that aren't racists trolls, suffering in silence, in desperate need of help with their own medical costs?

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
Woman: Oh my god! That man is unconscious! Someone do CPR!
Era:But have you checked his twitter posts???

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Good on Patton Oswalt. Everyone deserves good healthcare. Yes, even idiots who constantly vote against their own interests.

Obviously, not everyone has the time, energy, or resources to help out others, let alone their enemies. Ideally, being charitable would imply helping everyone, but unless you're significantly well off, I don't blame anyone for only helping people who aren't raging lunatics towards them

Oct 26, 2017
Yikes, I hope none of you guys ever run a charity. "Hmmmm, let's see who is deserving of our charity today." lol
Isn't that the point of GoFundMe? You donate to who you feel is more deserving.

As I said before good on Patton. I do hope the person learns from this. But there is big part of me that doubts that outcome.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Woman: Oh my god! That man is unconscious! Someone do CPR!
Era:But have you checked his twitter posts???
Seriously lol, I hope none of those guys ever think about being a paramedic.

"See I didn't perform CPR on that man because he had a MAGA hat, he should fucking die".

The guy is a shithead but Patton did good trying to help another human being in need. That's my take. Not everything is black and white. About damn time you learn that.

Status
Not open for further replies.