EMzbvA4XUAIfSau

EMzbve9XsAIO-QU

EMzbv0dXYAIDHVo

tenor.gif

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Not a bad deal depending on how much exposure you get. One exposure? Lame. Thirty exposure? Great.

Oct 25, 2017
Never, ever underestimate the stupidity of people on the internet

I got death threats for not releasing enough of Sonic Xtreme in the past. Shit, on this very board, supposedly a hardcore gaming forum, people accused me of "hording" prototypes to put on my shelf.
I can easily imagine this being real but I'm also having a hard time doing it.
I....I don't know how that is possible

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I speak for just about everyone in every tertiary industry where these people think they run your lively hood:

Fuck "influencers." You're an influencer? You pay double.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
My boss once received an email full of swears from a 'Youtuber' who applied for a job with us. The Youtuber had said he was famous, just needed a job for a couple of months before leaving for Hollywood, and I think their only qualification was YouTube? When he was obviously denied the position he sent back a swearing fit about how sorry we'd be for not hiring him, how dare we not let him work with us for two months or so (it'd take a month to even train him), he's going to be famous, he already has a modelling contract in Hollywood, we're a bunch of losers, blah blah blah.

Every once in a while we look up his channel to see how success he is. Not very.

What crazy person bubble are these people in that they think any of this is ok?

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Having a hard time believing this is real tbh
It's too perfectly set up for the "reveal" but what do I know.
It's way too believable for me. I've seen multiple cases of people asking artists about commissions and going fucking crazy when they name their prices.

Also Starbound is an entire game made off of paying people in exposure.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Should have exposed who this person was, tbh.

Would have all but assured their channel would have died.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
YouTubers and influencers are cancer. Everything about the culture behind these pursuits is just galaxy-brained levels of vanity.

You better believe this is real.

I've seen people go on active vendettas to "destroy" those who refuse to work for free. It's literally "You dare refuse to be my thrall when I approach unasked and demand your servitude? My followers will now ruin your life."

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
What crazy person bubble are these people in that they think any of this is ok?

YouTube(and social media) gives a lot of narcissistic people the slim possibility of wealth, fame and exposure they could only dream of before.

So all these future YouTube stars and influencers and scrambling to show the world how great they already know they are.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The For Exposure Twitter account is perfect for stuff like this:

Never, ever underestimate the stupidity of people on the internet

I got death threats for not releasing enough of Sonic Xtreme in the past. Shit, on this very board, supposedly a hardcore gaming forum, people accused me of "hording" prototypes to put on my shelf.

How do you "hoard" a prototype? Especially if it's hardware.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
My buddy works on photography. He's worked for numerous paying clients, but for whatever reason some cosplay model contacted him and was like, "Hey I'm going to be in your area and I'd love to work with you. If you're interested I can send you my rates!"

My guy was baffled. Who contacts a person and tells them how much they'll charge to allow them to do work??

They were already selling photos to fans...but also expected to also get the photographer to pay them for doing work for them.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
Working for exposure and unpaid internships should be completely illegal. Jim Sterling did a great episode about this a while ago.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
YouTubers and influencers are cancer. Everything about the culture behind these pursuits is just galaxy-brained levels of vanity.
YouTube(and social media) gives a lot of narcissistic people the slim possibility of wealth, fame and exposure they could only dream of before.

So all these future YouTube stars and influencers and scrambling to show the world how great they already know they are.

I'm sure that's a part of it, but this type of stuff has been going on for a long time in various creative industries.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
$50 to work for xxquicksc0prFORTNITExx? I'd take that, holy fuck. Put that on the front of my CV and the world is my oyster.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to live on this planet anymore lol. I never, ever saw something like this. So toxic omg

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
There's a magazine based in my city that's notorious for exclusively paying in 'exposure' while at the same time alleging their ethos is all about 'supporting local business'.

Paying for the opportunity of creative work is common in the 'competition brief' industry.

These are usually targeted at arts students and will boast about the opportunities a winner may receive with the honour of winning/ being short listed.

Sometimes you even have to pay £10-£30 just to enter the fucking competition.

I know a bloke that won one of the biggest UK design competitions and never got work based on the success. If he had wanted to take a trophy home, he would have been expected to pay something like £300 for it.

Last edited:

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
In Dutch we have this expression 'de brutalen hebben de halve wereld' that I think of when it comes to shit like this. The closest English equivalent would be 'fortune favors the bold' though if you would translate it so that it would more closely match the meaning of the Dutch version you would go for something like this: 'fortune tends to favor total fucking buffoons.'

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Patrick Star:
It was sure nice of Mr. Krabs to give me a job at the Krusty Krab.

SpongeBob SquarePants:
And at $50 an hour. When I started out, I had to pay Mr. Krabs $100 an hour.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I think it's funny how angry some of these people get considering the prices listed usually aren't high. Like, $40 for someone to make you an opening graphic (as someone posted above) seems like a sweet deal. If you're going to be a big YouTube star that'll get paid off right quick, and if you're not that's just one part-time shift at minimum wage. Assuming these are mostly kids living rent-free $40 isn't that much for something theoretically that important to your 'brand.'

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Society has failed the arts unfortunately. We have been drilled for decades that if you don't go to a university and eventually end up at a desk job or have some kind of doctorate, its not really a job. Making jobs having some sort of quantifiable measure of "education" as if being extremely skilled without it is the worst shit ever. The most ironic bit is that this has become evident through social media, a breeding ground for extreme nepotism that somehow has legitimized the youtuber as a profession, which is the most brain dead and perverse form of entertainment ever.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Working for exposure and unpaid internships should be completely illegal. Jim Sterling did a great episode about this a while ago.

A lot of unpaid internships are illegal at least in the US. A lot of people don't know about it and those that do probably don't have enough money to fight it.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Not quite exposure per se but I wasted a year and a half of my life working on some project that was supposed to lead into an actual paying job but said project completely burned to the fucking ground and I earned approximately zero dollars and zero cents the whole year and ended up going completely insane near the end of it having to explain to my family and friends what the fuck just happened. Dumbest decision of my life lmao

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Forexposure is regular reading for me. It's frustrating but also cathartic.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's funny how angry some of these people get considering the prices listed usually aren't high. Like, $40 for someone to make you an opening graphic (as someone posted above) seems like a sweet deal. If you're going to be a big YouTube star that'll get paid off right quick, and if you're not that's just one part-time shift at minimum wage. Assuming these are mostly kids living rent-free $40 isn't that much for something theoretically that important to your 'brand.'
Just to be clear, the Youtuber wanted to RECEIVE $50 AND hundreds of dollars worth of labor.