Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I was working on an expo once where the organizer had a Youtuber section made as part of the expo (it was a gaming expo).

This section was actually given out for free and the only requirement was that you were a local and had an active channel. There was a limited amount of booths to be given out (8 total) and were roughly 2m x 3m in size.

The youtubers that joined ranged from very small (500 subscribers) to very large (100k subscribers)

Again the above was given for free and was a way to showcase local talent.

One of the groups wanted a 10m x 10m space for free + their logos all over the expo area + pay THEM a few thousand dollars in return for exposure (this doesnt include the tickets we had to give their team which was a couple of dozen people)

We refused obviously and they insisted that we would not be successful if we refuse lol. Expo ended up being beyond successful depsite the lack of "exposure"

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Shaquille O'Neal was guilty of this. A multi millionaire lol

The creative community has called foul on his "Shaqtoons" idea, with hundreds of animators and other artists in creative fields lambasting the concept.

In the video, O'Neal invited animators to produce entire short films about him in less than a month. He wrote that any shorts chosen for broadcast would then be paid $500. He also offered "exposure," a common tactic used by people who ask artists to work for free. "That's right animators, I'm going to make you famous," O'Neal said in his pitch. (Ironically, the animator who created the animation for this pitch video was not credited.)

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to do photography and write for a site that reviewed sports cars. One day the owner of the site (who owns cars worth millions of dollars) asked 3 of us on the "staff" if we'd like to cover a 4 day event that was 350 miles away. I said sure and asked about how we'd handle travel, hotel, and expenses. He got very offended and told me that we'd obviously be paying our own costs out of our own pockets and that he'd be willing to pay us 10 cents a word for a 2,000 word article, with high quality photos included, split three ways. So a little over $60 in pay for each of us to cover a 4 day event that would cost us each several hundred dollars to attend. I never spoke to him again.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I was working on an expo once where the organizer had a Youtuber section made as part of the expo (it was a gaming expo).

This section was actually given out for free and the only requirement was that you were a local and had an active channel. There was a limited amount of booths to be given out (8 total) and were roughly 2m x 3m in size.

The youtubers that joined ranged from very small (500 subscribers) to very large (100k subscribers)

Again the above was given for free and was a way to showcase local talent.

One of the groups wanted a 10m x 10m space for free + their logos all over the expo area + pay THEM a few thousand dollars in return for exposure (this doesnt include the tickets we had to give their team which was a couple of dozen people)

We refused obviously and they insisted that we would not be successful if we refuse lol. Expo ended up being beyond successful depsite the lack of "exposure"
How is this any different than everything else posted above about not paying people? The EXPO wanted content creators to work for free, or rather "exposure". Why didn't they pay the Youtubers to be part of their event? Most event's pay the talent to show up. Their time is money.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
It's not free, it's negative pay!

2pzj16.jpg

Investment baby !

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like me before I became a billionaire for doing free art for Podepai and Morkeplier etc! Don't let that chance pass you by, you wanna be filthy rich, dontcha?

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
How is this any different than everything else posted above about not paying people? The EXPO wanted content creators to work for free, or rather "exposure". Why didn't they pay the Youtubers to be part of their event? Most event's pay the talent to show up. Their time is money.

Expo didn't want anything. It was just a section to showcase local talent. I think you misunderstood.

Did you think it was a meet and greet type thing where they took pics and autographs and such? It wasn't.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Expo didn't want anything. It was just a section to showcase local talent. I think you misunderstood.

Did you think it was a meet and greet type thing where they took pics and autographs and such? It wasn't.
The expo wanted content, i.e. Youtubers. The whole point of an expo is to get people into the door and so the organizers can make money. Every booth, etc is a means to that end (adding content to the expo to bring more bodies/ticket sales and concessions). I see nothing wrong with some of the Youtubers asking to be paid for their time and presence.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, she's asking you to pay her, then work for free. Wow. Exposure doesn't pay shit.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Time is money. Out of all the people in the world, social media influencers should be the most aware of this fact, but here were are...

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
This is so infuriating/ridiculous and needs to stop and continue to have all those that try it be called out and shamed. jfc

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
The expo wanted content, i.e. Youtubers. The whole point of an expo is to get people into the door and so the organizers can make money. Every booth, etc is a means to that end (adding content to the expo to bring more bodies/ticket sales and concessions). I see nothing wrong with some of the Youtubers asking to be paid for their time and presence.

I mean you are right except there was no ticket entry and even actual celebrities (voice actors, artists, etc) were free to sign and take photos with.

There was even a concert that was free to attend

Again it was about showcasing local talent. The expo is big on showcasing talents and only recently started charging for tickets because thier cost rose by a lot

The expo did this with developers, artists, etc in previous years

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I mean you are right except there was no ticket entry and even actual celebrities (voice actors, artists, etc) were free to sign and take photos with.

There was even a concert that was free to attend

Again it was about showcasing local talent. The expo is big on showcasing talents and only recently started charging for tickets because thier cost rose by a lot

The expo did this with developers, artists, etc in previous years

Well if it was a free public event (have to be government organized I guess), then I guess it makes sense. Two sides to every coin :)

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kind of weird to blame 'youtubers' when the perp isn't even one - seems like they don't even have a channel with a decent enough subscriber count.

He's just dealing with a child.

Also, they should charge more than $60 for animations.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Well if it was a free public event (have to be government organized I guess), then I guess it makes sense. Two sides to every coin :)

It was a company organized event lol and no sponsors even. So don't be too quick to judge next time :) there are still good people out there :)

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
So, crediting Finale Fireworker for being the original curator of this video, Mist for finding it again when FiFi couldn't, B-Dubs for liking it on Twitter (???) and Poodlestrike for *checks notes* existing, I guess. But here's a relevant Tik Tok video that made us all laugh enough that I feel we ought to share:

Last edited:

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Any artist want to make me the smuggest, most arrogant anime avatar? Can pay in exposure as I have over 10k posts on this website.

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Jesus christ. First I laughed at the prices given our go-to artist already charges $30-40 for a single emote (which is perfectly reasonable), but then comes the twist lol

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Being offered exposure is complete BS and anybody worth their salt would know this. My favorites are the ones who want me to work for free and tell me I can use it in my portfolio. Guess what, Genius? I can use the work I was paid for in my portfolio too.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Only time exposure should enter a business transaction is when Onlyfans are involved

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Never, ever underestimate the stupidity of people on the internet

I got death threats for not releasing enough of Sonic Xtreme in the past. Shit, on this very board, supposedly a hardcore gaming forum, people accused me of "hording" prototypes to put on my shelf.
I'm holding you personally accountable for the lack of a prototype release of Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill.

Is what I was going to say before I found out the SNES prototype did surface last year. Hooray!

Anyway, exposure sucks. I work in theater and have made it a rule that I refuse to work for free. A lot of my friends do community theater which is fine, but I just can't abide. I paid thousands of dollars to study this.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Weird thread isn't it? Seems like it's about money? I've seen people make $ doing all sorts of things if you want to commit the time to it, I like time and am ok not making money if it means I have my time.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
So, crediting Finale Fireworker for being the original curator of this video, Mist for finding it again when FiFi couldn't, B-Dubs for liking it on Twitter (???) and Poodlestrike for *checks notes* existing, I guess. But here's a revelant Tik Tok video that made us all laugh enough that I feel we ought to share:

I feel like I should be compensated for watching and laughing at this. What is art without an audience?