• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
WTboXw9ee6gokHqhinKm6d-650-80.jpg.webp

www.pcgamer.com

Ubisoft clarifies that Trackmania is subscription-based, but 'it's not the point'

Some Trackmania fans are unhappy with the pricing scheme on the upcoming reboot.

"Actually it's not a subscription model but an access to the game for a limited time. You pay for having access to the game for one period and that's it," a Ubisoft rep wrote. "When the time is over, you have to buy the game again for the time that you want to access it again."

I don't understand how or why anyone would think this is anything but a subscription model. As mentioned in the article, this is like "surprise mechanics" all over again.

It's a very creative way to describe a subscription without calling it a subscription, and predictably it hasn't smoothed the waters: Several redditors in this thread equate the response to EA's 2019 description of loot boxes in videogames as "surprise mechanics."

Game companies are gonna put The Hard Drive out of business by the end of the year.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
So... it's not a subscription, it's more like a yearly fee, right? Well, that certainly clears things up.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
The rep in question.

Wonder what they'll blame when this game sells much less than the previous Trackmania games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It's not a subscription. You just pay for it to obtain it for a period of time, then after that expires you lose access and have to pay again. Glad they cleared it up.

Tidus9000

Oct 27, 2017
"you're not paying a subscription, your paying for the game multiple times"

Well that just sounds even worse than a subscription

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
...what? Paying for access to a game (or service) for an allotted time is LITERALLY what a subscription means, lol.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
"Actually it's not a subscription model but an access to the game for a limited time. You pay for having access to the game for one period and that's it," a Ubisoft rep wrote. "When the time is over, you have to buy the game again for the time that you want to access it again."
.......aka a subscription?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking knew Ubisoft/Nadeo would screw up the game's potential somehow. Guess this is it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry what. How is "you're buying access to the game for a limited time and then when it's over you buy it again" not a subscription model?

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
im done with videogames

i will now collect vhs of obscure and forgotten ussr propaganda cartoons instead

better hobby