• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Have you ever played a single game in this series? Granted, Ubisoft is hard at work to tank the last couple of entries with ridiculously obtuse releases, but Trackmania has never once been bad-value, giving entire games away for free, tripling content of existing games for free.
If any franchise deserves good rep, it's this one.

what does that have to do with the topic at hand tho

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
tzsetur.gif

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
what does that have to do with the topic at hand tho
they are asking for 10 dollars a year. the wording is stupid, but this is hardly newspeak to hide the cashgrab. they probably just meant non-auto renewing subscription and said this to contrast it to auto-renewing ones, yet people are willing to compare this to the most blatant recent cashgrabs.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Have you ever played a single game in this series? Granted, Ubisoft is hard at work to tank the last couple of entries with ridiculously obtuse releases, but Trackmania has never once been bad-value, giving entire games away for free, tripling content of existing games for free.
If any franchise deserves good rep, it's this one.

I have, my point isn't about Ubisoft's recent dev output or Trackmania in general, it's a reference to their PR bullshit on terms like below:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
they are asking for 10 dollars a year. the wording is stupid, but this is hardly newspeak to hide the cashgrab. they probably just meant non-auto renewing subscription and said this to contrast it to auto-renewing ones, yet people are willing to compare this to the most blatant recent cashgrabs.

this. Not worth getting angry about.
They could have told that better, Because on the face it it, it's us consumers that don't know what the literal definition of a subscription is

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can get them having trouble figuring out how to make money from Trackmania since the games only seem to do well when they're literally free, but wow this is a weird and confusing way of trying to tackle that problem.

Last edited:
Nadeo Lead responds to Ubisoft rep's comments

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter

TwitLonger is the easy way to post more than 140 characters to Twitter

Nadeo Lead just had something to come back on with this.

Seems like instead of needing to cash out on new sequels or dlc he wants to pay for the future of the game with a sub instead since it'll be easier to just throw everything under one banner.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Trackmania isn't even popular enough for this, it has a hardcore following but it's super nitche what the fuck

notusingthis

May 31, 2019

TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter

TwitLonger is the easy way to post more than 140 characters to Twitter

Nadeo Lead just had something to come back on with this.

Seems like instead of needing to cash out on new sequels or dlc he wants to pay for the future of the game with a sub instead since it'll be easier to just throw everything under one banner.

Hylis said:
I hope people can see that our model maybe align in a better way with players needs, in our case, than DLCs, microtransactions, yearly sequels or monthly subscription.

Sounds like when they said it's not a subscription, they meant you don't have to pay monthly to keep playing. The original comment was also made by a non-native english speaker, so perhaps people can calm down a bit about all this?

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Do the time run out when you're not playing? Or it's based on playtime? Because the former is actually a convincing proposal.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is probably the reason why they're doing it, actually. Not enough money coming in, so squeeze the few fans we have dry.
how is ten dollars a year (or 60 for three years for the deluxe version) squeezing anyone dry? this is a game people put thousands of hours into, in afranchise that gave whole entries away for free and always provided a free entry for newcomers. I legitimately do not understand the point people are trying to make in here???

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
I mean they already did this decades ago with Games like Ultima Online! You just buy the game multiple times, that the complete opposite of a subscription, right? RIGHT?

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
how is ten dollars a year (or 60 for three years for the deluxe version) squeezing anyone dry? this is a game people put thousands of hours into, in afranchise that gave whole entries away for free and always provided a free entry for newcomers. I legitimately do not understand the point people are trying to make in here???
Eh, it's a figure of speech. I meant in the sense of ramping up monetization compared to how it was before.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really not happy equating the wording with "surprise mechanics", which is deliberately obtuse to mask a predatory business model.
They aren't trying to hide the fact that your are paying for individual seasons here.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019

So if you just play it casually you have to shell out 60 and you can't even keep it? Do you see why your argument makes no sense. Not everyone wants to put 1000 hours into Trackmania. I'd argue that the vast majority wouldn't even play it for 50 houra total. You still want to own something you paid for, though.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if you just play it casually you have to shell out 60 and you can't even keep it? Do you see why your argument makes no sense. Not everyone wants to put 1000 hours into Trackmania. I'd argue that the vast majority wouldn't even play it for 50 houra total. You still want to own something you paid for, though.

Not to defend the model (I don't like it), but there's a F2P access too. You never lose that.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
if you want to play it casually, you shell out zero dollars AND get to keep it.
there is nothing of interest for anyone playing the game for sub 50 hours in that three year $60 package, which is entirely geared for people interested in Trackmania as an e-sport.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that Jim Sterling is one of the only people on my subscription feed that posted content yesterday and it was on this? Isn't he supposed to be liberal and he couldn't wait another day to drag on Ubisoft? Or better yet coment on the current situation?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that Jim Sterling is one of the only people on my subscription feed that posted content yesterday and it was on this? Isn't he supposed to be liberal and he couldn't wait another day to drag on Ubisoft? Or better yet coment on the current situation?

His typical audience is probably not particularly into the BLM movement.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I would have bought this game, now I'll play it without spending a cent. Subscriptions for individual games are going to become trendy, aren't they? :(

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
His typical audience is probably not particularly into the BLM movement.

I know he would speak out against gamergate types in the past and post here and the old place before he became "all my content must be negative to get all the money" so maybe thats changed. Disappointing.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
TrackMania United released with full features, full online unlimited access, and 7 environments for 40€/$ in 2006. Times have changed, thanks to... ?