• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PC gamers, do you also play on console?

• Yes

Votes: 738 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 121 14.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My Switch is used pretty regularly, and I play the Sony exclusives. MS being on PC negates the use for my Xbox, and I should probably sell it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
My PC is the most powerful gaming platform I own, but I play more on consoles. Less distractions like this forum to keep me from actually playing games. ;)

I seem to look through my game lists and installing them as opposed to actually playing them on PC. So weird, but it is what it is.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but only when I have no alternative (exclusives). I only have eight games for my Pro, one of which is a remaster of a game I already owned, and three more I ended up purchasing again later on PC anyway. Later on this year, I'll finally be buying a Switch, which hopefully will be the rumored "Pro" version of last year.

My PC is the most powerful gaming platform I own, but I play more on consoles. Less distractions like this forum to keep me from actually playing games. ;)

I don't bother browsing forums while playing on my PC that's hooked up to my TV, while using a controller either.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
The answer is Yes..........

...... but it might as well be No, since my Switch is a Ring Fit machine, and I only have it because I won it, after selling my original one since I didn't play it for a 4 month period

What you are trying to ask is more than a Yes / No question.

85% of my gaming time is on PC - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 98% of my games
10% of my gaming time is on Switch (Ring Fit) - - - - - - - - - - - - - -01% of my games
5% of my gaming time is on Mobile - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -01% of my games

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I don't bother browsing forums while playing on my PC that's hooked up to my TV, while using a controller either.
Yeah, setup/location is a big factor. My PC and consoles all share space around my office desk (I rarely game in our family/living room), so just the nature of sitting at a desk "inspires" me to look on the internet and stuff on PC instead of playing. :)

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
PC + Switch. I was planning on getting a PS5 eventually to play PS4 and PS5 exclusives, but seeing that Sony is starting to release their games on PC, I might not get a PS5 after all.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Yeah sure, i buy consoles when they are cheap for the exclusives, the only consoles i buy day 1 are the portables really, VITA is my greatest traveling companion by far

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
PC/switch. I sold my PS4 last year. The gaming side of my PC is vr/streaming through moonlight (with the exception of disco Elysium).

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
I buy all the systems every cycle. I prefer sitting on my couch rather than my computer chair and I don't want to move my computer between rooms or run cables through the house, so I generally hope console versions of games are good so I can just play it there instead of at my computer. Plus, my s/o likes to watch games and its easier/more comfortable in the living room than her pulling up a chair and sitting next to me at the computer.

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
Era is a pretty console-centric forum, for the most part. I always see people talk about PC gamers as some other entity/enemy that is completely removed from the console space. This doesn't ring true in my experience, everybody I know who plays on PC also has a PS4 and Switch at least. I own a base ps4, pro, one s, and a switch as well. Just because I prefer to play on PC doesn't mean I don't play on consoles. Sometimes I get online games for ps4 because that's where my friends are playing, Sony exclusives are great so I play those of course, nintendo exclusives too. To me it seems like anybody enough of an enthusiast to drop stacks on a nice PC are big enough fans of great games that they'll end up owning all the platforms by the end of a generation.

This got me curious if my experience is purely anecdotal, so I figured I'd throw a poll up. I'm just tired of seeing a bunch if spiteful "you PC gamers blah blah" I'm a console gamer too, the shit just comes across so childish.

I am primarily PC; PS4 for exclusives; Switch for exclusives and retro indies and JRPGs.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, barely touched my PS4 last year and haven't touched the Switch in about 3-4 months,

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have all them shits.

I probably won't buy the next Xbox though now that I can get the games on PC. Same thing with PS5 if Sony does end up releasing their games on PC. Nintendo I expect to always have to buy.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I used to, but hadn't turned my Switch on for literally months and I sold it.

I have some mini classic consoles but don't use them much. Honestly not seriously interested in either 'next gen' system, since my PC will probably still outperform them.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
No, I don't really have the budget to both buy a console and keep the PC sufficiently up to date and for me PC takes priority.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
I'm primarily a PC gamer and play my Switch a lot. I have a PS4 Pro but barely ever play it, just collects dust on my shelf. Last major game I played on that thing was KH3 back when it released.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
PC + Android for emulators (Redream, Dolphin, ScummVM).

I grew up playing on PC until I got a Dreamcast, then got an Xbox, then didn't really game again for years.

Then I installed Win7 on my 2012 MacBook Pro and that got me through the Mass Effect trilogy and some other games 2014-2016.

Then in 2017 I got a gaming laptop secondhand off eBay (i7-6700HQ, 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM) and an Oculus Rift + Touch. Plan to keep this setup for a couple more years at least (I'm fine with not playing DOOM Eternal and Cyberpunk 2077 at the absolute highest settings).

Don't see any reason to go back to consoles, and happy to support ports of former exclusives: bought Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls off EGS, will likely pick up Death Stranding and Horizon: Zero Dawn. Been digging 3 months of Xbox Game Pass for PC for ÂŁ1 but I don't game enough to justify it long-term (often go weeks without playing, number of hours gaming per month is usually in the single digits). To be honest all I feel I'm missing out on at the moment is Spider-Man, and even then I don't feel too bad about it with my ridiculous backlog.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I had all the consoles but sold them a few months ago. When you turn them on once every 2 or 3 months, it's time to re-evaluate priorities.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Yes I do. Even though the majority of my gaming time (or free time in general) is spent on my PC, most of my console gaming time is on my Switch. Especially during my daily commute by train. I also own a Wii U (which I no longer play), and I adored playing Wii U games on the Gamepad lying on my bed or playing BC Wii games, as they were very different experiences from my PC (which I play with a wireless controller on an HDTV, so it's kinda like a more flexible console in a sense).

I also own a PS4 Pro which I like well enough. I play exclusives on it, especially Gran Turismo which I love dearly. I also love PSVR, even if I don't use it much nowadays. I would probably use it more if it had fully fleshed out track racing sims on it, so I think I may actually be better served by a Rift S in that regard. But I still love PSVR and sometimes I jump in just to do some laps in GT Sport with my T300RS GT Edition.

Ocassionally I buy non-exclusives on PS4. During extremely busy and stressful times of my life, I sometimes don't feel like putting up with some of the PC's annoyances (even though they are very minor nowadays). I don't usually play them for long on PS4, but I enjoy it enough to keep doing it every so often, so it does have its place in my life. I see myself buying a PS5 (and getting rid of my PS4 if it's properly BC) for the same reasons, especially if Ghost of Tsushima ends up being good and becoming a Sony mainstay. I miss Tenchu and Shinobido so much.

I used to own all Xbox systems. Didn't like the OG that much but absolutely fell in love with some MS franchises (mainly Halo and Forza) during the 360 era, even though I was a PC gamer back then as well. Eventually I sold my 360, One and One S, kept the OG as kind of a collector's item and greatly enjoy my favorite Microsoft franchises on PC, as well as Game Pass.

FInally, I've owned pretty much all major handheld consoles and of course they fill a niche that a PC can't quite fill properly, even if handheld PCs are increasingly improving in quality with the GPD Win 2 and the upcoming Alienware UFO. My gaming PC of choice is actually an MSi ultrathin gaming laptop which is rather portable, but it's still not quite as convenient or easy to carry.

Hopefully this gives you a good overview of the many ways in which consoles find their way into the life of a lifelong PC enthusiast.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I have a PS4 for all the Sony exclusives. I intend to buy some of them twice, as they come out for PC.

Eddie Bax

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville, TN
PC accounts for the vast majority of my gaming time, for multiple reasons — I like being able to tinker with games to make them run how I want and/or add features with mods, games are generally cheaper (although the up-front cost is higher), and I much prefer a mouse/KB combo to a controller for certain game genres, especially FPS.

But I have a PS4 for exclusives and as a JRPG machine for the wife, and a Switch for travel, second-screen gaming when watching TV etc. and I would miss them if I didn't have them.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Lately I've been using PS Now to play Sony exclusives on my PC so I really have no reason to play anything on a console at this point.

Nintendo is gonna Nintendo but I haven't really been jazzed about those games since the Wii so I'm fine with skipping them.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not lately, no. The last console game I played was Breath of the Wild on my WiiU.

Oct 31, 2017
Less and less as the time goes on.
I occasionally bought a console to keep up with exclusives of that time and invariably I found myself neglecting it for 98% of my gaming time in favor of my PC.

Same with my last decision to buy a PS4 Pro a little more than one year ago.
I got one, I bought God of War, Bloodborne, Horizon and Spiderman.
I played a significant portion only of the first two (while begrudging being forced to accept certain compromises in terms of settings/performances) and I can't bring myself to care about the others.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I have a weird thing where I mainly play Multiplayer games on my PC and play single player games on my console. I pay more attention when I only have one screen to look at instead of wanting to alt tab to do something or having something up on my second monitor.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I do. For exclusives and games my PC runs worse than a PS5 Pro. XBO for BC as well.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, setup/location is a big factor. My PC and consoles all share space around my office desk (I rarely game in our family/living room), so just the nature of sitting at a desk "inspires" me to look on the internet and stuff on PC instead of playing. :)
I'm using my PC on an HDTV with a wireless Xbox One controller and I still screw around on the internet a lot. I'm using a Logitech K400+ wireless keyboard+touchpad so really, I can use my PC both like a console and a desktop PC from my comfy couch.

Funny thing is my gaming PC is actually a laptop. So I'm using my portable computer like a desktop computer hooked up to the TV and play like it's a console.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I have a switch but I only use it for a couple games a year

so yes but it's not exactly unusual for me to not touch it for like 6 months

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I usually play wherever I can get the game cheaper, or if it's multiplayer where my friends are playing.

PC, PS4, Switch.

Last edited:

Ganado

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Exclusively PC. I got enough games to worry about consoles as is. Have both a 3DS and Vita that has received minimal playtime which made me feel like skipping on Switch.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yup. PC, Nintendo Switch and an Xbox One X. No need for a Playstation. Their exclusives are not enough for me to buy the console and I am, currently, an Xbox guy.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, though there can be large periods where I don't. My PS4 goes through hibernating phases where I have to wake it up from it's slumber to play Death Stranding or something.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm using my PC on an HDTV with a wireless Xbox One controller and I still screw around on the internet a lot. I'm using a Logitech K400+ wireless keyboard+touchpad so really, I can use my PC both like a console and a desktop PC from my comfy couch.

Funny thing is my gaming PC is actually a laptop. So I'm using my portable computer like a desktop computer hooked up to the TV and play like it's a console.
LMAO Hey, whatever works! :D

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I play a lot of Switch games. But I'm at the point where I play 1, maybe 2 games a year on PS4.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is baffling to me as Xbox and PC already share most of the games, I would expect the exclusives would be the thing to get a PS4 for, not an Xbox.

I am not all that crazy about most of Sony's exclusives. Horizon looks sick and God Of War. Those are the only games I really care about. I'm not buying a console for those games. I can subscribe to Playstation Now on PC for a month--knock those games out--then be done with it. $9 rather than $400. It is a no brainer. As for buying and Xbox I have always enjoyed the Xbox exclusives. Gears, Forza & Fable are my jams. I stuck it out through the shitty times at the beginning of this generation and now I get to have Game Pass and Xcloud which are better than any other offering from any other company all bundled up into a $15/month fee which is nice. For that I get a huge library of games on PC and my Xbox and I can play them where I want. If I want to play in front of my PC I can do that. If I want to sit on my couch I can do that.

Microsoft are providing options and that is what I like. I put a higher price on convenience than I do on having a few exclusives to play in a world of games where my backlog is already crazy.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Yeah i have a pretty good PC, but i also own a Switch for the nintendo first party games and i used to have a PS4 before i sold it, but i will probably buy PS5 aswell.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I voted yes, but I probably play my Switch a few times a month, mainly in handheld mode when I'm hanging out with my wife while she watches TV. Other than that, I do all my gaming on PC.