• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
D3pOuQ7WAAEL_i5.jpg

Made a fake EGS page. The design work is so simple that I sort of want to make a thread with fake ones like we did with Steam back in the day.
I deeply hate you

Ffs as i was scrolling down i was dying inside

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I've been publishing on Amazon for almost a decade now (long before the KU floodgates opened) and the visibility problem games have on Steam and every other storefront doesn't hold a candle to what's going on with Kindle right now.

It doesn't matter if you're writing the next Harry Potter or GoT. There are a hundred other authors publishing books just as good as yours, on the same day and in the same genre, and no one will ever know they exist. Want to be seen? You better have a big warchest or some god-tier connections.

As a new Author, just dumping your novel on Amazon will do nothing.
An Authors chance of success professionally is better if s/he writes free fiction or fan-fiction first and creates and Audience. Several Million-seller Authors started as Fan-Fiction writers (like fifty shades)
For example, Wildbow makes 5 to 10k on Patreon a month just writing his long series'. 80% of Amazon ebook authors would love that kind of money.
(But his "Novels" (1 to 2 million words per novel) would be a hard sell as traditional books.)

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I think the problem indies are now finding is similar to the situation that digital publishing created in the literature field with Amazon (and Kindle):

Once it is so easy to enter the field, it gets overbooked and you need to learn how to market (for your target audience or for the general audience much more than before. Quality is still important, but unless you are an amazing masterpiece (which in most cases you wont be), marketing and getting your name around is the most important point.

And all of this is due to the democratization of engines (much cheaper and easier to use) and "publishing platforms" (both consoles and PC) being more open to games, to a degree than in Steam it is basically the Amazon policy of open doors.

You're entirely right. There's problems with it, but I think it's far preferable to the old ways. Besides, those are never coming back.

If Epic were using their platform to promote really niche indies, let them shine, hold up some handpicked titles as the best gaming has to offer, then that'd be one thing and the moneyhatting would be a lot easier to swallow. But instead they're using their platform to promote titles with multimillion advertising budgets. It's a sad way to use your power.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
You're entirely right. There's problems with it, but I think it's far preferable to the old ways. Besides, those are never coming back.

If Epic were using their platform to promote really niche indies, let them shine, hold up some handpicked titles as the best gaming has to offer, then that'd be one thing and the moneyhatting would be a lot easier to swallow. But instead they're using their platform to promote titles with multimillion advertising budgets. It's a sad way to use your power.
Dont get me wrong, I think this way is better. I was just pointing out that it is not a problem only found in gaming and that it needs a refocus from the developers on marketing that they mostly seem to forget (until their game flops).

I also made that comment about "where are the small indie games" when EGS launched, as Discord actually did launch with those games.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Really? That's strange. I have a card and bank account linked to mine and it always took from the account and not the balance.

Yeah it wouldn't let me add the minimum of $5 and wouldn't let me purchase games without a credit card tied to my own account despite the fact I had enough funds on my paypal

Tried it on my PS4 and the web browser store on pc - same thing

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even tie my bank to my paypal account because it's a little podunk credit union that barely exists and they can't find it so they just go "That doesn't exist" but they sure like taking my money from the credit card/debit cards tied to it so apparently they can find it when they need money from me

I'm sure that previous statement looks weird in some context but you can tie a credit/debit to a paypal account & and tie a bank account but they can't seemingly find the bank. Shenanigans.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
Farm Together and The Spy Who Shot Me are both on sale on the weeklong deals, might pick them. I should recharge my wallet for once so I can get Ace Attorney too, but still undecided on Zanki Zero.

Oh, thanks to activity feed, just noticed that Obscure Collection is also on sale. I have a weak spot for those 2001 ~ 2007 games and it's pretty cheap.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Saw this in my Twitter feed posted by RPS:

Looks like it could be potential awesome though I'm honestly a bit tired of dark fantasy as a setting.

Back in the days, Steam had bad-looking games as well. The issue is not recent.

How can a game with this screenshot have a 4-digit appID? lmao

Looking at that particular screenshot how can it not?

Nov 3, 2017
Wok I remember that game. The dev made it in his spare time at Lionhead and it was one of the first semi-indie games on steam. The guy, Mark Healey, then went on to co-found Media Molecule so there's probably a bit of Rag-Doll Kung-Fu in LBP.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for reminding me Ragdoll Kung Fu exists, now that fucking theme song wont leave my head.

Here, because you should suffer with me

Nov 1, 2017
The whole "every game should have an easy mode" really irks me. This seems like a very Western thing to think. I'm down with making input methods or how to play a game more accessible for people that might not be able to use the standard methods. But play the game or don't. Accept it as the product that the devs/director wanted to make instead of something that you should be able to play how you want.

There is plenty of media out there that you might not "get". Are you going to ask authors/directors/musicians to make an easy mode for you? Variety is the spice of life man.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
The whole "every game should have an easy mode" really irks me. This seems like a very Western thing to think. I'm down with making input methods or how to play a game more accessible for people that might not be able to use the standard methods. But play the game or don't. Accept it as the product that the devs/director wanted to make instead of something that you should be able to play how you want.

There is plenty of media out there that you might not "get". Are you going to ask authors/directors/musicians to make an easy mode for you? Variety is the spice of life man.

I was on the neutral side of that argument until recently. I didn't particularly care.

But the point "Would you argue that a Horror movie should be less scary so that more could enjoy it?" brought me over to the defender side. If the creator wants it to be like that, let him/her.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Been playing through 11-11 Memories Retold and it's a good game, buggy and had a lot of crashes though, and the actual gameplay is almost tiring. Been playing only for a 1/2 hour - 45 mins at a time.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
I don't mind people asking for a different experience, but it's completely up to the creator to decide if they want to and their decision should be respected

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind people asking for a different experience, but it's completely up to the creator to decide if they want to and their decision should be respected
That decision should be as much respected as any other decision, like not including a soundtrack with your game.
As seen today some people are totally fine with that, that doesn't mean you have to be.

Edit: Obviously there is a difference in tone. "From should implement" is different than "From has to implement". Asking for something is different than demanding it.

Last edited:

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The horror movie comparison is pretty pointless to be fair. A horror movie can still be watched by people who don't like it, they're still able to physically watch it. A hard game is actually impossibile to play through for someone who's less experienced with games.

EDIT: As I said a couple of times in those threads, it's more like if we say to someone who likes to play football (or soccer) but it's not good enough to sign for Real Madrid or any top-tier team "well, stop playing because the game should be experienced at its finest". The fact that easier and less demanding categories exist for those who want them, doesn't make the top-tier stuff worse or less enjoyable for those seeking that experience.

EDIT 2: Of course you shouldn't harass developers on Twitter for that, that's idiotic, but it's not a bad thing to ask.

Last edited:

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
The horror movie comparison is pretty pointless to be fair. A horror movie can still be watched by people who don't like it, they're still able to physically watch it. A hard game is actually impossibile to play through for someone who's less experienced with games.

he can watch it *shrug*

I have dozens of genres I am not skilled enough to participate.
Should Brawl be easier? Should Fortnite? Should Dota? Should Forza?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
some people care a lot about the original creators vision and try to experience the work in a way they intended, i fall on this end of the spectrum. look lawrence of arabia needs to be on 70mm

others dont care, and thats fine. as soon as they release it into the world it has a life of it's own and people should be able to change it to achieve their ends

if that means editing out all the jar jar scenes from episode 1 go for it

or modding thomas the tank engine into anything

sure those arent what the creators wanted, but the works are objectively better because them

and of course it goes without saying that you shouldnt cheat on online servers, no duh, thats not the same as using cheat engine to give you unlimited money or something

if you have your own server and want to turn on lowgravity with friends however...

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
some people care a lot about the original creators vision and try to experience the work in a way they intended

others dont care, and thats fine. as soon as they release it into the world it has a life of it's own and people should be able to change it to achieve their ends

if that means editing out all the jar jar scenes from episode 1 go for it

or modding thomas the tank engine into anything

sure those arent what the creators wanted, but the works are objectively better because them

and of course it goes without saying that you shouldnt cheat on online servers, no duh, thats not the same as using cheat engine to give you unlimited money or something

if you have your own and want to turn on lowgravity with friends however...
Death of the author is harder to argue against with games since it's rarely one persons vision guiding things from beginning to end

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been playing Supraland, and while it's "easy" I have been getting lost a lot, and sometimes am unsure of where to go.

Someone posted a Bloodborne parody image with tooltips, a mini-map, points-of-interest, quest markers, and those floating arrows with distance numbers that float superimposed over everything that pervade Ubisoft games. Making something "more accessible" is beyond slapping God-mode on and calling it a day.

I remember stopping a Suikoden playthrough and coming back a year later and finding myself in the middle of the ocean and just having no idea what to do or where to go.

I think if I dropped someone into my Supraland playthrough right now they'd be utterly stuck. Some of the mechanics are pretty obtuse, janky, and unfriendly. I just got an item and got stuck like an hour later because I forgot an obscure secondary function it had which is pretty unintuitive and awkward to use.

Aside from the jank, and getting lost, Supraland is pretty amazing. I wish it had a map with markers on it. It takes a lot from the Metroidvania sphere, but even Metroid and Castlevania have maps that show locked doors -that would have saved me like an hour yesterday. Everything else about the game is pretty good, lots of puzzles and environmental interactivity. I think it's funny that some areas have NPCs that say "you have everything you need to move past this area." I think the creator must have gotten a lot of messages of "game broken, I'm stuck" during early access.

Supraland has a free demo on Steam, check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.