• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you can't have it all I guess. You do get access to stuff like iOS games and Apple Arcade as compensation, though :P
But I agree, it's not for everyone. People should definitely check to see if their favorite games run on the system before buying. Also, there's Parallels (Windows emulation), which admittedly, I have not tried yet.
Honestly, if it gives you access to the likes of Apple Arcade, it's pretty damn decent

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
At this point, why not just get an M1 Mac mini? Its GPU destroys the ones in the Intel/AMD stuff. Emulation works great on it. There are minor compatibility issues, like games not having Mac versions at launch, but all in all, it's a much better proposition than these APU builds. It's clean, cool, silent, hassle-free, and has almost no footprint.

What's the point of buying a computer with an express intent for it to play games where there are little-to-no games available for it?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone, since Uzzy mentioned this thread in the Steam Deck thread I thought I'd stop by and say hello. I hope you are all having a great time.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Maybe it's been a while since the last time you checked?
store.steampowered.com

Steam Search

I'm guessing you're not a Mac user.

There's plenty of indie games compatible with MacOS, but the lion's share of bigger budget titles are either not compatible with MacOS whatsoever or stuck with a 32-bit executable.

When macOS Catalina launched in 2019 it closed the door on all 32-bit applications. This means that any Steam game listed as Mac compatible won't run at all under Catalina or newer, including, notably, all of Valve's releases.

So here's the breakdown:

Most major PC Game releases aren't Mac compatible.

For instance, of the 25 games currently on my Wishlist, only one of them (Everything) is currently listed as Mac compatible.

Assuming this game hasn't been updated with a 64-bit application, I can't play it at all.

If it has been, I can still play it, but it'll be running under the Rosetta 2 translation layer, resulting is slightly reduced performance.

The tri-fecta of "Mac Compatible", "64-Bit" and "M1 Native" is few and far between, unfortunately.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
If your aim is to play bigger budget AAA games, those APUs are not going to do you much good anyway. For Indies/emulation/smaller games, an M1 Mac mini for $700 is a steal. Also, I have been gaming almost exclusively on an M1 MacBook Air since last November. Playing through Pathfinder: Kingmaker right now. As I said, it's not for everyone, but the "it has no games" claim is simply ridiculous.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
If your aim is to play bigger budget AAA games, those APUs are not going to do you much good anyway. For Indies/emulation/smaller games, an M1 Mac mini for $700 is a steal. Also, I have been gaming almost exclusively on an M1 MacBook Air since last November. Playing through Pathfinder: Kingmaker right now. As I said, it's not for everyone, but the "it has no game" claim is simply ridiculous.

You'd be surprised. AMD's APUs are great, and when the next-generation RDNA2-equipped models drop the performance will improve even further.

Besides, if I want to play, say, Death Stranding, it ain't happening at all on a Mac. On a APU-equipped PC I could probably manage 60fps at 720p with Low/Medium settings or 30fps at 1080p.

This guy seems to be averaging 45fps at 1080p on a mixture of Medium and High settings on the Ryzen 7 4700G. You could probably get that up to 60fps easily, and that's on the 4700G, which has since been supplanted by the 5700G, which itself will be supplanted as well.

Here's a Youtube video queued up with some performance numbers for the 5700G.

Last edited:
2 gifts from Eraser_Arcade

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 2 gifts from Eraser_Arcade Eraser_Arcade!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Origin Origin: Battlefield 1 - Won by Bitterman Bitterman (9 entries)
  • Origin Origin: Battlefield V - Won by Gnaget1891 Gnaget1891 (18 entries)

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
You'd be surprised. AMD's APUs are great, and when the next-generation RDNA2-equipped models drop the performance will improve even further.

Besides, if I want to play, say, Death Stranding, it ain't happening at all on a Mac. On a APU-equipped PC I could probably manage 60fps at 720p with Low/Medium settings or 30fps at 1080p.

This guy seems to be averaging 45fps at 1080p on a mixture of Medium and High settings on the Ryzen 7 4700G. You could probably get that up to 60fps easily, and that's on the 4700G, which has since been supplanted by the 5700G, which itself will be supplanted as well.

Here's a Youtube video queued up with some performance numbers for the 5700G.

I stand corrected. M1 machines are shitty money-grabs that cannot run anything, let alone games.
*puts his laptop up for sale*
*orders the latest parts for an APU build*
Jokes aside, I think we are just interested in different games. As I said (twice now?), M1 is not for everyone.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Mac is just not good for PC gaming. It was true before, and the forced certification with the drop of x32 just made it clearer (by putting more barriers and making a ton of older games not work). The change to ARM just made it even harder.
M1 as a device is great and probably a way to the future in some years for general PC, but it aint gonna be a PC gaming device for a loong time.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I played a bit of Dishonored 2 (reached Karnaca) and it's great so far but I remember how in the first game the controls with the pistol and sword messed me up a bit as you dual wield them and iirc you can't aim down with the pistol, plus you shoot with the right mouse :/

Hey everyone, since Uzzy mentioned this thread in the Steam Deck thread I thought I'd stop by and say hello. I hope you are all having a great time.

Well hello there and welcome :)

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I stand corrected. M1 machines are shitty money-grabs that cannot run anything, let alone games.
*puts his laptop up for sale*
*orders the latest parts for an APU build*
Jokes aside, I think we are just interested in different games. As I said (twice now?), M1 is not for everyone.

You're getting weirdly defensive about this. I've been a Mac user for two decades now and gaming has never been its strong suit.

Between crummy GPU options, completely different CPU architectures, a lack of DirectX, the prevalence of WINE-based solutions in the late 2000s, Apple axing 32-bit support, plus everything else involved in porting games to Mac, nobody has ever bought a Mac specifically to play games.

And considering that this is the PC Gaming thread I don't know why you would even bring it up.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how Fanatical keeps getting me with these "pay almost two extra bucks and get two mystery games!" deals.

I know they're not going to be any good...but mystery box.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
You're getting weirdly defensive about this. I've been a Mac user for two decades now and gaming has never been its strong suit.

Between crummy GPU options, completely different CPU architectures, a lack of DirectX, the prevalence of WINE-based solutions in the late 2000s, Apple axing 32-bit support, plus everything else involved in porting games to Mac, nobody has ever bought a Mac specifically to play games.

And considering that this is the PC Gaming thread I don't know why you would even bring it up.
PC =/= Windows. I can post about Mac in a PC thread.
I don't see anything weird in my post. Different people, different interests, different devices. What's defensive about this?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PC =/= Windows. I can post about Mac in a PC thread.
I don't see anything weird in my post. Different people, different interests, different devices. What's defensive about this?

Dude made a post about why that AMD thing was good, and didn't talk about your mac at all and you replied by talking about how that somehow implied your mac was shitty and you'd sell it.

You are being weird.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Dude made a post about why that AMD thing was good, and didn't talk about your mac at all and you replied by talking about how that somehow implied your mac was shitty and you'd sell it.

You are being weird.
Dude made some false claims that I called BS. If that's weird, I'm weird. You haven't even read the entire conversation, but you HAD TO butt in. My Mac has nothing to do with this. Don't try to make it personal. It is not. The selling thing was a joke, and I immediately said so. Having a conversation is considered weird around here apparently.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Dude made some false claims that I called BS. If that's weird, I'm weird. You haven't even read the entire conversation, but you HAD TO butt in. My Mac has nothing to do with this. Don't try to make it personal. It is not. The selling thing was a joke, and I immediately said so. Having a conversation is considered weird around here apparently.

-Dw6yuEunrQSlIOFnObvxls6CdM=.gif

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, does M1 Mac qualify as a PC? It doesn't just need to be a computer marketed for personal usage, see RPG; so since they don't plan to open up for Windows or Linux installs it's close to Amiga tier of differences.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I just came here to ask if anyone had played Mortal Shell on a 1070 but uh.... are you all okay in here?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, does M1 Mac qualify as a PC? It doesn't just need to be a computer marketed for personal usage, see RPG; so since they don't plan to open up for Windows or Linux installs it's close to Amiga tier of differences.
ARM PCs still count as PC. I wouldnt be surprised if it were possible to bootcamp M1 Mac with ARM Windows (if it was actually available in an easier way).

1 gift from eZipsis

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from eZipsis eZipsis!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Origin Origin: Battlefield V - Won by qtamir1 qtamir1 (18 entries)

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
ARM PCs still count as PC. I wouldnt be surprised if it were possible to bootcamp M1 Mac with ARM Windows (if it was actually available in an easier way).
I'm pretty sure there is no M1 Boot Camp. ARM Windows is not as easily available as it should, but the current state of Linux on it is unexplainable otherwise.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised there is not much hype for New World. Kinda looking forward to it after WoW shit the bed.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure there is no M1 Boot Camp. ARM Windows is not as easily available as it should, but the current state of Linux on it is unexplainable otherwise.
I think there is no M1 Boot Camp because ARM Windows is just lol worthy for now. Linux ARM is just the chicken-egg problem were Linux doestn have that much money to research onto ARM whiel most of their money is used on other stuff. The problems of open platforms without a ton of money.

Surprised there is not much hype for New World. Kinda looking forward to it after WoW shit the bed.
I am slightly interested on it from an MMO to grind some time. I really want a calm MMO i can easily play alone and i dont need to pay monthly (otherwise I would take a look at FF14).

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I am slightly interested on it from an MMO to grind some time. I really want a calm MMO i can easily play alone and i dont need to pay monthly (otherwise I would take a look at FF14).

Yeah, it's always fun to get in on the ground floor when everything is still new and before everyone is grinding endgame.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried Elder Scrolls Online?
Not really the calmness i was looking for. I also dont like the fighting at all.
Yeah, it's always fun to get in on the ground floor when everything is still new and before everyone is grinding endgame.
I dont really mind once things are set, but i would still want more of a Guild Wars 2 kinda calmness where you can just do whatever you want alone than the WoW style of having to only focus on endgame.
I like to play MMOs just to grind some nice time doing whatever I want and not the current GAAS problem of just grinding lvls of battlepass doing the weeklies / dailies.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

"It's basically Dragon Quest meets depression, but with the choice to make a party of dogs." -Liberty of RMN.

You got me on there

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I don't know how Fanatical keeps getting me with these "pay almost two extra bucks and get two mystery games!" deals.

I know they're not going to be any good...but mystery box.

I only ever bought some mystery keys from GOG in their St. Patrick's Day event a few years back.
Got Lionheart: Heart of the crusader, Patrician III and some vintage racing game out of the 3 times I "played" .

Fanatical has way too many games in their catalogue for a random draw to be worth it, imho.

rude

Oct 25, 2017

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Steam Trading Cards was a way to get extra money for Valve and the devs by monetizing emoticons and backgrounds, as you get them when you complete sets (you get badges that come with a random emoticon and background from the game). As you needed to get them from either trading with friends or buying on the marketplace it works as a way to get people interested on that paying up.
Now you can avoid the randomness with the Steam Point Shop (though devs can disable some emojis / backgrounds from being on the store).

ok. I didn't realize you could sell them. mine are worth like 5¢ wtf
They tend to be cheap unless they are anime or foil. Even if they are cheap, they make up for volume.
A Minus they have is that the minimum cut for the dev and for Valve is 1cent each, so if you sell it for 5c, you will only get 3c (as 1 will go to the dev and 1 will go to Valve).

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
Cards let you make your profile pretty through badges and let you get steam nickels

but yeah 1 steam nickel is worthless, but when you have 1000+ games and each game potentially gives 3+ cards that's a lot of nickels. Not to mention if you get a foil card which can sell to some idiot for 2-10$ depending on the game

The community market is great

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
ok. I didn't realize you could sell them. mine are worth like 5¢ wtf

It depends on the game really. If you're selling cards from a recent release, you'll do better then trying to sell cards that just appeared in a Humble Bundle deal (and are flooding the marketplace). Some are simply more sought after, and foil cards sell for more money.

You can also destroy the cards for gems, which allow you to create booster packs (contains three cards). As someone that just sells everything, I never felt it was worth doing that.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Cards let you make your profile pretty through badges and let you get steam nickels

but yeah 1 steam nickel is worthless, but when you have 1000+ games and each game potentially gives 3+ cards that's a lot of nickels. Not to mention if you get a foil card which can sell to some idiot for 2-10$ depending on the game

The community market is great
The community market is great! Paid for my deck completely!

Status
Not open for further replies.