• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are your plans for Christmas?

• Family

Votes: 572 49.6%
  • Games

Votes: 681 59.0%
  • Beer

Votes: 273 23.7%
  • Anime

Votes: 259 22.4%
  • Complaining on the internet

Votes: 507 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was wondering why I couldn't see Gris, and then I remembered:

x1syQAs.jpg

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
i should probably exclude shoot em ups myself since they're the biggest culprit of advertising with anime cuties and then it's yet another fucking touhou

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It is funny to me that GOG offers all of those games on GOG Connect but 3+years later Witcher 3 is not one of them XD

Engadget published article with comments from Team Meat and Supergiant.

The Epic Games Store is the best thing that could happen to Steam

"Competition is good, but the PC market has no competition. There is only Steam," Refenes said. "But what happens when the Epic Games store gets its footing and grows into a PC marketplace powerhouse? What would that force Steam to do? It would force them to improve. Then that would, in turn, force Epic to improve, and then you have two large companies fighting to retain customers and developers. That's going to motivate innovation. That is a healthy marketplace, and that is good for everyone."

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It is funny to me that GOG offers all of those games on GOG Connect but 3+years later Witcher 3 is not one of them XD

A+ Journalism.
"People paid for exclusive releases about Epic Games Store say good things about Epic Games Store".
What were they expecting ?
"We got paid but it's a bad place to buy games, despite our game being only sold there."

Tonton

Oct 25, 2017
Actually it just came to mind, did Epic say anything about making sales data on their store public considering they have the guy who has been trying to estimate Steam's sales publicly for the past years?

Mar 23, 2018
The latest AMD driver seems to be so awesome. If any of you got an AMD card, you should consider checking it out.

Release notes

Edit: The thing I don't like is that Polaris cards do not feature auto-oc or auto-uv like Vega cards do.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

Almost every popular games site has published an article that describes the Epic Store and Epic's moneyhatting as a great thing for PC Gaming. Not a single editor has been criticizing Epic for bring paid store exclusivity to PC; they even call it 'necessary' to 'compete' against Steam.

I really can't understand this. How is keeping games away from the best and most popular platform on PC good for competition? Why do they believe that a console-like war between stores will benefit PC gamers? Is this only about Steams 30% or are there other reasons why these editors think Steam needs to be punished?

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

All of what we heard is more like "We want to put our games on Steam, but we want to force them to adapt a better revenue share." Thats what the Rebel Galaxy thing was, thats what this post kinda feels like.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
All of what we heard is more like "We want to put our games on Steam, but we want to force them to adapt a better revenue share." Thats what the Rebel Galaxy thing was, thats what this post kinda feels like.

But so far every dev has decided to pretend this has major benifits to consumers as well.

Between Supergiant saying a store with no feedback mechanisms is the best way to developer an early access game closely with consumer.

To Team Meat and Rebel Galaxy pretending this has nebulous benifits to consumers as a fact without any arguments supporting it.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
But so far every dev has decided to pretend this has major benifits to consumers as well.

Between Supergiant saying a store with no feedback mechanisms is the best way to developer an early access game closely with consumer.

To Team Meat and Rebel Galaxy pretending this has nebulous benifits to consumers as a fact without any arguments supporting it.

And Coffee Stain literally saying Epic's money is the major reason to go Epic Store exclusive in their Q&A on Youtube.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
The latest AMD driver seems to be so awesome. If any of you got an AMD card, you should consider checking it out.

Release notes

Edit: The thing I don't like is that Polaris cards do not feature auto-oc or auto-uv like Vega cards do.

Is the Auto-Undervolt feature available to Fury cards at least? Finally I can ditch my ridiculous Undervolt curves and power limit increase.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
holy shit, who thought that was a good idea?
This $60 trash is worse than f2p as I mentioned on multiple occasions :)
Yeah even with the flash sales we got that lasted for either 8 or 12 hours people would complain. If you can't spare a couple of minutes in 8+ hours to check steam then too bad. The rest of us shouldn't have to miss out.
Yeah no. If you go to sleep 1 h before 8h sale ends then if it's not work day you miss one out of 3 automatically. Of course you can set up alarm clock to wake up earlier and get those 3 cards like totally not a nutjob.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
you know I'm a pet fanboy, that right there is enough. But let me gush on it then, at least from the 5 or so hours I've played.

why Far Cry Primal is dope:

- its a survival game for people that dont want to play actual survival games (your Rusts and whatnot)
- it's low key the best pet based game I've played in ages. In fact, I had no idea taming pets as companions was such a big thing in the game, your character is literally called "Beast Master"
- unlike AC Origin / Odyssey's half assed taming system, pets here are actually good. They can actually kill shit, you can command them at targets, you can heal them and revive them, you can tame multiple ones and just select them from a menu. I'm rocking a white lion now.
- You can not only pet them but they have actual different pettign animations for each one.
- They actually eat prey they (or you) killed to regain health.
- Bows. Why are bows always so satisfying? I dont know but they are. Bows > Guns anytime.
- Also spears. throwing spears is also satisfying. The whole combat feels like it has "weight"
- It has a better excuse for "just walk around and do shit in this open world" than most Ubi games because the whole idea is youre building and growing your village, so when you are walking around doing random events or sidequests, you are growing your village.
- the skill tree is gigantic and most side activities give you skill points, and theres no better motivation to do random shit than raising skill trees.
- the story is actually ok, at least its ok in it's weirdness? Especially with the shaman guy, he's awesome. Drink those eyeballs, they are good for you.
- It's gorgeous and runs great, thats always a winning combination. It's all very lush and thick, feels very claustrophobic in a good way, like an actual jungle.
- Sound is awesome and it helps the jungle feel. Theres constant animal sounds everywhere, its kinda creepy.

also its weird seeing all those posts praising it because I honestly never saw anyone talk about it in this thread >_>

Oh neat, guess I'll have to add it to my wishlist. I thought primal was just a clunky copy of farcry # whatever

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Almost every popular games site has published an article that describes the Epic Store and Epic's moneyhatting as a great thing for PC Gaming. Not a single editor has been criticizing Epic for bring paid store exclusivity to PC; they even call it 'necessary' to 'compete' against Steam.

I really can't understand this. How is keeping games away from the best and most popular platform on PC good for competition? Why do they believe that a console-like war between stores will benefit PC gamers? Is this only about Steams 30% or are there other reasons why these editors think Steam needs to be punished?

It is indeed a mystery. Whatever the reason, customers are generally better off fighting for their rights themselves instead of relying on big sites that by necessity have to maintain a close working relationship with publishers and developers.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
For all the old homies in here. Went to Walgreens and they actually had Yerba Mate. I mean it's canned and not the legit thing. But I can finally try it.

Fake Edit: not bad. Rather different than I was expecting.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

Either they are paid off, extremely ignorant, or we truly have no more consumer advocates in the higher tiers of game-writing.

Oct 25, 2017

My best guess is this: Steam is not perfect.
The forums are toxic (but you don't have to use them), there are a lot of bad games there (but you don't have to buy them....or look at them), things simply aren't perfect in good ol'Valve land.
So obviously some competition is needed to kick Valve's ass so they finally do something! Even if the competition.....doesn't actually feature any of those things. There is no "better" curation in the Epic Store right now because the store is way too young to even speak of curation. And you can't have toxic forums if you don't have forums at all. Or (if Epic has forums) if they haven't been in the spotlight time and time again like Valve's admittedly garbage-ass forums are.
I'm not saying all those people are idiots who think Epic having a store with an exclusive Team Meat game will lead to Valve cleaning up the forums but there's been a lot of negativity around Valve and Steam lately so the "Now that there is competition they have to step it up" line of thought makes....some sense as long as you don't actually look at the problems that plague Steam.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Hey i bought Far Cry Primal in the last Steam Sale! Been too busy with Hitman and i forgot. Will try it this weekend.

Oct 25, 2017
And Coffee Stain literally saying Epic's money is the major reason to go Epic Store exclusive in their Q&A on Youtube.
At least they are honest. That's really the thing that's annoying me. You think you can make more money on Epic's store? Go for it, do what you have to do. But don't give me some wishy-washy "Best for everybody blahblah competition blahblah exciting new ventures" crap. Just say "We hope to make more money there" and that's a perfectly fine and reasonable answer, really.
If I made a game right now and came to the conclusion that I am going to make more money over at Epic's of fucking course I would do that. That's fine. But say it how it is.

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main thing i see in all these devs mentioning epic store are innovate etc. Half of steams fucking api is innovative magic that nothing else compares too. Every computer is different. Third party controllers etc. Good luck using half them controllers on epic or origin etc. Yet on steam they will work easily

Fuckinh feels like don mattrick and aaron greenberg spin has spilled to devs

Status
Not open for further replies.