Votes: 493 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Is this not worthy of an OT? I've been pretty hyped on it.

It's funny becasue there's an "official" Descent sequel out, and this one just blows it away, and seems 1000% more "Descent" than that one. I've only played a couple levels of the Early Access but I can't wait to fire this up when I get home.

It definitely is OT worthy. It will also be released on consoles later this year

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Disappointment of the year so far for me sadly. Not even bothered by the few levels. They are often just too long. I think they were pretty inspired by Retro's Donkey Kong Country games but couldn't pull it of.

Most annoying was unlocking characters for me. Play through level, meet npc, get quest, die because you can't get 100% anymore, go through levels to collect things for quest, when you have everything play through level again to get to npc, receive new playable character.

Was really bummed out by it. I still like the Runner gameplay and Runner 3 has some cool sequences but I think a few more months in the oven wouldn't have been the worst idea.

I really want this game. I do. I even paid full price for Runner 2 on release.

Its word of mouth like this that gives me pause. Is there really that much back tracking?

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I read about the new Battlefield, the more I'm interested in it. Can't believe they didn't cover so many of these details during the "reveal"

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
All the Fallout 76 chatter yesterday inspired me to reinstall Fallout 4 and pick back up on my 200+ hour main save.

Christ this game is just as addictive as I remember.

Bethesda really has nailed that sandbox "explore-scavenge-quest-combat-loot" gameplay loop better than any dev I can think of.

I love the flexibility of player choice. Being able to tailor the gameplay session to my current mood, be it carefree & Zen (explore/scavenge/craft) or more focused & engaged (quest/combat/loot).

Getting me more hyped for Fallout 76 in spite of not being a fan of the DayZ/Rust gameplay model. I have no interest in being harassed by others in an online PvP setting. But if anyone can at least crack the door to me giving it a shot, it's Bethesda Studios and the Fallout IP.

But I'm still holding out hope that there's a completely Offline mode in whatever 76 turns out to be.

Oct 25, 2017

latest

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a console-exclusive gamer all my life. This is the month when I finally join the PC-gaming platform. The biggest change is embracing digital when I've always bought physical, it's a little scary but I'm sure I'll get use to it lol.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I've been a console-exclusive gamer all my life. This is the month when I finally join the PC-gaming platform. The biggest change is embracing digital when I've always bought physical, it's a little scary but I'm sure I'll get use to it lol.

This was me back in 2012. Buying games on sale through steam or other sites helps with the transition a lot. Especially when you buy some of your old faves which you've never had the opportunity to run at a higher Resolution of Framerate.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Cheap digital games and bundles will make your backlog grow faster than any of your previous platforms combined ;P
dO You use an NVidia or AMD card?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
There's so many games i want this month and i probably won't get any of them

Bus Sim 18 is my only lock so far. Quite enjoyed Bus Sim 16.

If Euro Truck and Farm Sim are considered A-tier Mundane Vehicle Sims, I'd say Bus Sim is B-tier.

That's still high praise though. As a MVS connoisseur there are very few A and B tier productions. Beyond that, the quality just drops off a cliff into hardcore shovelware territory. Stuff not even worth mentioning. So even a B tier game like Bus Sim or Gold Rush are worthy for genre fans.

I'm also keeping an eye on Cultist Simulator and Jurassic Park this month to see how they fare. Though I'm not optimistic how JP will run on my aging laptop.

I'm straight-up on media blackout for this one.

At this point the only think left to do is wait for the Add to Cart button to show up on the Steam page.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm right there with you. I loved Runner 2 but Runner 3 is just disappointing in almost every regard.
Not only does it have much less variety than Runner 2 (3 worlds instead of 5) I feel like the music is generally not that great, especially in World 1. That's obviously very subjective though.
It feels like they tried to compensate having fewer levels by making you replay them a bunch but that's....not really great? I already replay them a lot to get 100%, I really don't want to run through them again just to collect stickers and hero quests. And for the hero quests they just spawn in items that weren't there before so you have to replay older levels yet again. Basically, it makes no sense to try and 100% a level the first time since you will have to play it at least 3 times anyway. No idea why they thought that was a good idea. The boss fights were really boring and unimaginative as well, I literally couldn't believe that was it after beating the first boss.

And I found the retro stages just really, really boring.
Just a super disappointing game overall

Apart from the first boss fight which was just awful I didn't have much problem with them. But yeah, the items only appearing after you have spoken to the quest giver is annoying. After the first world I didn't even bother with 100%ing the levels. Was hard to not 100% but probably better for me.

Huh, I haven't done any of those character unlocks yet. That sounds awful. It was already annoying in Runner 2 with the retro carts forcing you to restart the level, and this sounds even worse. Making you lose on purpose to grab a collectible is not fun.

I also don't really like how Runner3 looks. It seems a bit... don't know how to describe it, cheap? It looks like a random bundle-tier game, not the newest iteration of one of my favorite series. The menus are also terrible, with lots of tiny loading screens whenever you select an option, and tons of screens to go through just to reach the level selection. Presentation is definitely not this game's forte.

After you grab a sticker/collectible you don't have to complete the level.

The art style is not cheap or bad imo but too busy.

I really want this game. I do. I even paid full price for Runner 2 on release.

Its word of mouth like this that gives me pause. Is there really that much back tracking?

There is only back tracking if you want to search for collectibles. You don't have to finish the level picking them up but a few are near the end of a level. And in most cases you can't get everything in one run.

It's okay. I wouldn't recommend it for the asking price though. The Runner gameplay is still fun. Worst part of the game is that it doesn't have the trampoline sound of the first two games.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, unless there's some surprise releases, I don't think I'll be grabbing anything day one this month.

NeoRaider

Banned
Feb 7, 2018

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
when you think about it's way less scary than having digital money, and no cash, and we all got used to that, because convenience

edited: almost forgot, welcome to the madhouse

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Gonna be buying a new Note 8 soon and replacing my iPhone 6S.
Not too worried about the Steam App since I already sold everything I don't need, but am curious how Streaming is gonna be like using it and for playing many of my ye olde games using it with emulators.

Nov 1, 2017
All the Fallout 76 chatter yesterday inspired me to reinstall Fallout 4 and pick back up on my 200+ hour main save.

Christ this game is just as addictive as I remember.

Bethesda really has nailed that sandbox "explore-scavenge-quest-combat-loot" gameplay loop better than any dev I can think of.

I love the flexibility of player choice. Being able to tailor the gameplay session to my current mood, be it carefree & Zen (explore/scavenge/craft) or more focused & engaged (quest/combat/loot).

Getting me more hyped for Fallout 76 in spite of not being a fan of the DayZ/Rust gameplay model. I have no interest in being harassed by others in an online PvP setting. But if anyone can at least crack the door to me giving it a shot, it's Bethesda Studios and the Fallout IP.

But I'm still holding out hope that there's a completely Offline mode in whatever 76 turns out to be.

I'm not sure I would hold out hope for an offline mode. Blizzard did the same thing with Diablo 3. They just lose too much money if these huge AAA games are offline because they can't sell you more shit. It doesn't fit into the GaaS model.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for you to post during your first Steam sale. You'll either buy one game and use ERA for recommendations or go buck wild and grab everything you can get your hands on.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So... Avalanche (Just Cause 2) were bought out by a Danish movie studio called Nordisk Film.
""This was simply the right offer, at the right time, from the right company," Avalanche boss Pim Holfve told GamesIndustry.biz this morning. "Nordisk Film are also fully committed to our road map, and feel that Avalanche Studios are headed in the right direction, so they don't want to mess with that. Being able to maintain our creative independence, while at the same time being acquired by stable, long-term owners is the best possible scenario." Plus, y'know, a whole lotta wonga in his pocket.
June is already bananas.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
There is only back tracking if you want to search for collectibles. You don't have to finish the level picking them up but a few are near the end of a level. And in most cases you can't get everything in one run.

It's okay. I wouldn't recommend it for the asking price though. The Runner gameplay is still fun. Worst part of the game is that it doesn't have the trampoline sound of the first two games.

Are the retro levels only unlocked with collectables like runner 2?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see Mr. Orange changed his mind about not doing the OT's anymore

Vampyr is my main game this month, followed by Jurassic World

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
On the one hand it's Operation Genesis 2
On the other hand it's 55€
On the other hand it sells Dinos as DLC
On the one hand it's based on World and not Park
On the other hand it uses Denuvo
On the other hand it releases the day E3 starts

I AM WEAK

7yKvrSp.png

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure they are if your library is completely empty.

That said, in that case the better Humble Bundles should also be excellent.

If you're somebody who has been using Steam for a long time and only hoping for sale on titles released within the current year? Sure. For new people though? It's still pretty good.
Sure, for a newcomer they're fine. Still worse than they used to be.

Yet today there are also far more avenues for cheap games than there used to be. Consoles have also started to do sales events on digital titles.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Eh.

Steam sales aren't what they used to be.
The first steam sale is still like walking into a toy store as a kid. And new people to Steam don't have a reference point for all the old things (meta games, timed sales, etc) so it's just a huge price drop for them for (mostly) everything on the store.

I saw that yesterday but didn't believe it was a film studio. Good for them though if it helps keep the lights on and independence.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, here's a subbed version of the latest New Gundam Breaker trailer:

Not really a big fan of the VN elements, but it's probably still better than Build Divers' average writing level.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Spiderweb Software's Kickstarter (for Queen's Wish: The Conqueror) has blown past its goal in under a day. $38k/$30k.

RPGs are back, y'all.
The first steam sale is still like walking into a toy store as a kid. And new people to Steam don't have a reference point for all the old things (meta games, timed sales, etc) so it's just a huge price drop for them for (mostly) everything on the store.
The sales are worse than they used to be, though. The sales these days are categorically weaker than the older ones.

I guess it's to be expected now that Steam is far-and-away market leader, but it really sucks all the same.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Digital has also been the best way to enjoy
CFW
consoles.
Have fun, PC has 10 times the content all other consoles combined (that is, if your definition of content does extend past AAA TPP cinematic shooter).

Oct 27, 2017
If you write a recommendation for it I am more than happy to add it to the OP.
I was hoping someone with a better knack for writing in English would have done one by now, but since no one came forward, can you please add my recommendation for Overload to the OP:

Matt Toschlog and Mike Kulas, the creators of the Descent series, are back with a spiritual successor to the series that helped popularize the 6DoF (6-degree-of-freedom) shooters during the 90's.
Overload is the Descent successor fans of the series kept hoping for. It features the familiar fast and furious gameplay you would expect from the genre, a story by the writer of FREESPACE 2, and a kick-ass soundtrack by Descent series veteran composers Dan Wentz, Allister Brimble, and Jerry Berlongieri.
The game features multiple single-player (story campaign, survival mode) and online multiplayer modes, ship customization, and VR support.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Spiderweb Software's Kickstarter (for Queen's Wish: The Conqueror) has blown past its goal in under a day. $38k/$30k.

RPGs are back, y'all.

The sales are worse than they used to be, though. The sales these days are categorically weaker than the older ones.

I guess it's to be expected now that Steam is far-and-away market leader, but it really sucks all the same.
If you've never experienced one before none of that matter. price drops are price drops

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

RPGs are back, y'all.

I think I'd like to play a Spiderweb games on of these days. Any recommendations?

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
New thread smell, but it smells weird. I wanted to say it's the month of Juneuary for some reason. Whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.