• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Had managed to avoid horror games in vr thus far but as it turns out Hellblade has a scary chase sequence
FantasticRawBronco-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what's the ideal way for streaming within the household? The Xbox app that was just released would be preferred for me, but I do have the Steam Link hardware, as well as a laptop and compatible mobile devices.

Also, I'm in the market for a new router. Should I get a standalone router for streaming in-home? Or would a mesh network be better? If it helps, I have my PC down in the basement, but the router and modem are on the second floor. The only way they'll ever be connected hardline is through one of those power adapters.

Any ideas or suggested reading would be appreciated. Thanks

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
No discount on Big Foot and FM 19 still hasn't dropped to its usual end-of-life 50%. Oh shame.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, these articles are written by "sponsored". Here's an example.

That's...interesting, wasn't aware PCGamer was selling sponsored "previews/reviews" or whatever they call these. Although to be fair these might be bought by the publisher, since it looks like Ubisoft, Activision and so on have sponsored articles as well.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Suggesting the sponsored links are propped up as reviews is disingenuous at best. They have two aritcles like that. The other was Metro and was before release.

And The Beholder 2 as well. I'm not sure what the word disingenuous means, but surely you can't ignore that these articles are written in review style.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread closed after all.

I get the reasoning, and hope people dig deeper so it can be reopened. Would have been nice to have finished my reply to Bronson so I could explain how searching directories not belonging to the program (particularly user area ones, but anything on your system really) and running processes is super sketchy but not unheard of (although not something any of the major stores do to my knowledge) and is basically the reason why it's a good idea to sandbox programs you don't trust, but oh well.

I also hate how privacy violations are now so common that people feel you are being mad if you still care. "W10 does it. Privacy is an illusion" is not a fucking defense.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Thread closed after all.

I get the reasoning, and hope people dig deeper so it can be reopened. Would have been nice to have finished my reply to Bronson so I could explain how searching directories not belonging to the program (particularly user area ones, but anything on your system really) and running processes is super sketchy but not unheard of (although not something any of the major stores do to my knowledge) and is basically the reason why it's a good idea to sandbox programs you don't trust, but oh well.

You can do it in here or in the DMs, I'm not dead lol

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Dosen't VAC and other anti cheat stuff scan your web history for views to know cheat sites? How does that compare to the EGS stuff looking through your PC for installed software.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Thread closed after all.

For me at least, it's still pretty concerning. Especially when you factor in stuff Epic has said that they really should have no way of knowing. I guess I'm just not interested in giving Epic the benefit of the doubt on this.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Ok fuck at Hellblade straight up becoming a horror game in he second half, extra relevant in vr with the whole facing your fears angle but my heart is pounding ;-;

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And The Beholder 2 as well. I'm not sure what the word disingenuous means, but surely you can't ignore that these articles are written in review style.

To be clear, I said 2 because the charge was that "they must have EGS as the main source of their income" and Beholder 2 is not on EGS.

Which is at the crux of my point. The hysteria reaches from 2 sponsored articles to conspiracies they are on the take in a split second to now they are seemingly wholly owned by Epic when in reality they appear to have made much more money from guides on how to make your agents look pretty in Rainbow Six Siege.

This ends up applying to like everything about this topic. It's soon entrenched in conspiracies, jumping at shadows, and a lot of bad faith reads.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Epic store seems to scan Steam directories. Exactly why I have no idea, but if their aim was to do something more VAC-like, I would have thought it would have had a very different scanning behavior. It targeting your Steam folder seems super sketchy.

Common things actually harmful programs can do include things like scanning for Chrome passwords (https://github.com/n8henrie/pycookiecheat for an example showing how to decrypt them), or harvesting personal data stored in your documents. There is absolutely no evidence the EGS is doing that, but things like that are why sandboxes exist.

You can do it in here or in the DMs, I'm not dead lol

I said basically the things I wanted to say already in that post, although it was a bit shorter than the one I had in the other thread, lol.

Ill leave the longer posts to someone who is more of an expert than me.

Last edited:

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. So I tried Epic Launcher and it searches for Steam

Then proceeds to enumerate all files in Steam Cloud (for every user that has ever logged in)

Then it will read file containing your steam play history, friends and groups

For me this is 13.50 megabytes

then writes something encrypted to "C:\ProgramData\Epic\SocialBackup\RANDOM HEX CODE_STEAM ACCOUNT ID.bak"
totaling 13.51 megabytes

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
To be clear, I said 2 because the charge was that "they must have EGS as the main source of their income" and Beholder 2 is not on EGS.

Which is at the crux of my point. The hysteria reaches from 2 sponsored articles to conspiracies they are on the take in a split second to now they are seemingly wholly owned by Epic when in reality they appear to have made much more money from guides on how to make your agents look pretty in Rainbow Six Siege.

This ends up applying to like everything about this topic. It's soon entrenched in conspiracies, jumping at shadows, and a lot of bad faith reads.

My mistake. It's Hello Neighbor 2 on EGS, not The Beholder 2.

I just said that Epic is sponsoring and advertising on pc gamer, which is a fact. I never said anything about a conspiracy and I'm not hysterical either. At least not yet. :)

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Then proceeds to enumerate all files in Steam Cloud (for every user that has ever logged in)

then writes something encrypted to "C:\ProgramData\Epic\SocialBackup\RANDOM HEX CODE_STEAM ACCOUNT ID.bak"
totaling 13.51 megabytes
that eeeh looks bad

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
So I've just finished my first EGS game! Axiom Verge free copy.

My experience with it was pretty bad actually in terms of features, because I wanted to use the steam save cloud ability to play on multiple computers. I couldn't do that without transfering saves with a pendrive for EGS surprisingly lacks such feature. Another HUGE issue for me was that you simply cannot open your game offline. Eventually, my internet connection failed due to some maintenance on the region and I could not open my game. So stupid. Therefore, if I ever go somewhere with no internet connection, I won't be able to access my games.

The game itself surprised me to say the least. Many people complain that it is a mediocre game, whereas I found it very, very good. I really don't know why it isn't loved. Even the story surprised me, being very consistent and intriguing. The upgrade system is reaaally satisfying, inasmuch as the sense of progression after new upgrades is very visible and rewarding. You actually gain access to inaccessible areas in a cool fashion. It is one of the better Metroidvanias I've played over the past few years. Even its playtime is very good IMO. I clocked 9h myself. (another lacking feature of EGS is not tracking playtime. Luckily this game has it built in)

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

totaling 13.51 megabytes

That's f*cking creepy. Feel free to make a topic about this. People should know.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
That's f*cking creepy. Feel free to make a topic about this. People should know.

There was a thread, was locked due to lack of expert evidence, which I kind of agree with. PM Bronson if you want to reopen.

Win 10, AWS, Google, social media, the age of privacy is done. Plus, the Epic Games Store is build off the shoulders of steam via steamspy, so no surprise.

Man.. every time I remember the steam spy thing I chuckle.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The Epic store seems to scan Steam directories. Exactly why I have no idea, but if their aim was to do something more VAC-like, I would have thought it would have had a very different scanning behavior. It targeting your Steam folder seems super sketchy.
Yes, scanning Steam directories is sketchy, I agree. But scanning various directories on your PC is not necessarily a huge red flag...

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019

totaling 13.51 megabytes
I don't like this at all. Does it search and create this report only for Steam, or also for Origin and other launchers? Not that it matters though, this is a """""bit""""" over the line anyway.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

That's disgusting. It seems many sites are taking any opportunity to bash on Steam these days.

Yes, scanning Steam directories is sketchy, I agree.

Isn't this a valid reason to re-open the thread about this matter? No doubt this info is being sent to Epic as well.

Now I understand why all of Epic's free games require the launcher to run...

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

totaling 13.51 megabytes

I checked that location on my PC and they've been doing it for a while, it seems:

Status
Not open for further replies.