grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
s4Z0pwr.png

Boss fights in a turn based tactics game? Pretty neat. And funny lines. Gears Tactics continues to be good.

I liked the game but it definitely needed some more variety in the side missions. A sequel would be cool to see

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
Boss fights in a turn based tactics game? Pretty neat. And funny lines. Gears Tactics continues to be good.
Tactics is in my top 5 most played on Steam list. Logged 74 hours on Insane mode. Final mission was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Loved this game so much. Lookng forward to the game Capes later this month. Another X-Com type game.

store.steampowered.com

Capes on Steam

Superheroes clash in this turn based strategy game. Recruit, train, and deploy your team in order to take back the city from the villains that hold it hostage.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Got a question about controller mapping for yall. I recently picked up an 8bitdo Ultimate controller. It's the Xbox button layout and has two back bumpers. Obviously steam interprets it as an Xbox controller so the two back buttons on the controller aren't detected. In the 8bitdo software, I can only assign different button presses to these.. The thing is. I need one of them to function as left Shift and I can't figure out a way.

TLDR, I'm playing Viva New Vegas, it has a sprint mod. I need a button on my controller to be shift to use it. And for the life of me, I can't figure out a way to make this work. It seems like something so trivial, maybe I'm just missing something.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a few basic questions but my google-fu i failing me.

1. How do I know if a (steam) game has HDR besides google searching? is there a simple way to check?
  2. Do old games benefit from auto-HDR? Will bioshock look incredible now?

I personally check PCGW before starting a new game so I'm aware of any fixes that need applying, or any odd behaviour the game has. It also lists if HDR is available.

Auto HDR is usually good, but doesn't always do something worthwhile. Couldn't comment on Bioshock.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Got a question about controller mapping for yall. I recently picked up an 8bitdo Ultimate controller. It's the Xbox button layout and has two back bumpers. Obviously steam interprets it as an Xbox controller so the two back buttons on the controller aren't detected. In the 8bitdo software, I can only assign different button presses to these.. The thing is. I need one of them to function as left Shift and I can't figure out a way.

TLDR, I'm playing Viva New Vegas, it has a sprint mod. I need a button on my controller to be shift to use it. And for the life of me, I can't figure out a way to make this work. It seems like something so trivial, maybe I'm just missing something.

So from what I remember, you can't bind the back buttons on the 8bitdo to just anything, because it's mimicking an Xbox or Switch controller and thus is confined to whatever inputs those two support (this is a bit of a simplification but you get the idea). So no keyboard inputs. I actually don't know if any major controllers allow arbitrary binds out of the box besides Valve controllers.

You can potentially get what you want via Steam Input and some trickery in the 8bitdo software, maybe:

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
So from what I remember, you can't bind the back buttons on the 8bitdo to just anything, because it's mimicking an Xbox or Switch controller and thus is confined to whatever inputs those two support (this is a bit of a simplification but you get the idea). So no keyboard inputs. I actually don't know if any major controllers allow arbitrary binds out of the box besides Valve controllers.

You can potentially get what you want via Steam Input and some trickery in the 8bitdo software, maybe:

Ahhh shit. Is there any easier way... with any controller? Like if I picked up an Xbox Elite or the Dual Sense Edge? Surely those are recognized in Steam? I hope lol.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
s4Z0pwr.png

Bethesda need to steal this dev team away to make a Fallout Tactics game.

Abit ridiculous how long they've sat on that spinoff considering how rich the genre would be for Fallout.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh shit. Is there any easier way... with any controller? Like if I picked up an Xbox Elite or the Dual Sense Edge? Surely those are recognized in Steam? I hope lol.

Not... really. It requires the controller to be able to report the back buttons/paddles as independent controls, and because most controllers use XInput by default there isn't much point to doing so, so no one really bothers. I think if you do some searching on Reddit you'll find potential workarounds (for example, it seems like the Xbox Elite controllers will work alongside ReWASD) but there's no controllers that I know of aside from the Steam controllers that just work out of the box with arbitrarily bindable back buttons/paddles, and even those require Steam Input to get that functionality I think. Though I could be wrong on that one, I've seen some reports of Gamesir/Flydigi/etc. controllers that might work but they're all pretty small manufacturers of the Amazon Marketplace type.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
You know I wonder if you can stealth kill enemies during a stealth rescue mission in XCOM 2. It would make sense, right? Map is littered with enemies that can be taken out with one shot.

*Security immediately rises to lv4 after killing one isolated trooper and reaper spotted*

....goddammit, Firaxis.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the game but it definitely needed some more variety in the side missions. A sequel would be cool to see
Always think about grabbing this game but most of the criticism seems to be that, lack of variety. Combine with the lack of a tactical layer makes it a hard sell.

You know I wonder if you can stealth kill enemies during a stealth rescue mission in XCOM 2. It would make sense, right? Map is littered with enemies that can be taken out with one shot.

*Security immediately rises to lv4 after killing one isolated trooper and reaper spotted*

....goddammit, Firaxis.
I just bring 1 Zerker and one expendable unit, scout with the reaper and move the other 2 around the base perimeter until I can reach the cell. Blow up the cell from outside, grab the unit then evac out. A smash and grab is so much less risky than trying to pick your way through the enemies.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
XCOM uniquely stresses me out in a way usually only Amnesia games do.

I think thats why I keep deciding to play it late in the day becuase part of me dreads it as much as I do look forward to it.

Ironman is the only way to keep me honest, while I don't care for it in most games, I find it pivotal in XCOM 2. I save scum as easily as breathing otherwise, the game is much more satisfying without resorting to that though.

Amzin

Oct 25, 2017
I have been waiting for Tsushima for ages but now I'm kinda put off by Sony being... well, Sony about it. Given the craziness of the month already I think they've managed to push away another early sale, will wait until discounted maybe. Have to see how I feel I suppose.

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
Ending the weekend having grabbed Moonlight Pulse, Crow Country, 1000xResist, Animal Well and Dread Delusion (for its 1.0 release on Tuesday).

Really resisting the urge to grab Hades 2 amd Indika, especially as there's Lorelei and the Laser Eyes later this week.

Now to find the time to play them all. Never been more happy that there haven't been many bigger games released so far this year that have been my thing. Indies are just taking all my time currently.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

In that situation I would map a back bumper using the 8bitdo app to something like "use", which shouldn't conflict too much when you want to sprint.

Then I would use JoyToKey or Steam's mapper to assign left shift to whatever button "use" is. Then it will fire both use and left shift on press

Amzin

Oct 25, 2017
HI57Hi9.png
Edit: Achievement might be a spoiler

That's 100% of Cyberpunk in one playthrough with some reloads and whatnot. The main game endings weren't quite the gut punches of Phantom Liberty but they were great, and it was a very different context obviously. It's insane how long each of the distinctly different ones are, too. I do someday want to play again with a different build, I was bruiser basically all the way.

Also finished Little Kitty, Big City but a fair few achievements left in that to hunt down when it sounds fun.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I personally check PCGW before starting a new game so I'm aware of any fixes that need applying, or any odd behaviour the game has. It also lists if HDR is available.

Auto HDR is usually good, but doesn't always do something worthwhile. Couldn't comment on Bioshock.
THank you.
I usually go to PCGW whenever i have a problem. I should really get in the habit of going there first.
Not... really. It requires the controller to be able to report the back buttons/paddles as independent controls, and because most controllers use XInput by default there isn't much point to doing so, so no one really bothers. I think if you do some searching on Reddit you'll find potential workarounds (for example, it seems like the Xbox Elite controllers will work alongside ReWASD) but there's no controllers that I know of aside from the Steam controllers that just work out of the box with arbitrarily bindable back buttons/paddles, and even those require Steam Input to get that functionality I think. Though I could be wrong on that one, I've seen some reports of Gamesir/Flydigi/etc. controllers that might work but they're all pretty small manufacturers of the Amazon Marketplace type.
Xbox elite 2 (original release) gets the back paddles recognized by steam out of the box. I have the Halo edition and it worked out of the box as long as:
- xbox controller software isn't running
- Firmware is at the lowest possible (i think 1.0)
- Steam expanded xbox controller options is on

All this said xbox elite 2 is one of the cheapest made controllers i ever used. I really enjoy the cool factor of Halo but holy fuck is it breaking a part slowly. (for comparison my xbox one controller is in a better shape;)

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox elite 2 (original release) gets the back paddles recognized by steam out of the box.

Shit, really? Everything I'd read said it required ReWASD, my bad. Maybe I was reading old info.

I really wish Valve would just take another crack at a controller, based on everything they picked up from the Steam Deck. In lieu of that, someone else coming out and saying "yes we have fully rebindable back paddles/buttons" would be great too, and a "hall effect sticks too!" cherry on top would be a big bonus.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Shit, really? Everything I'd read said it required ReWASD, my bad. Maybe I was reading old info.

I really wish Valve would just take another crack at a controller, based on everything they picked up from the Steam Deck. In lieu of that, someone else coming out and saying "yes we have fully rebindable back paddles/buttons" would be great too, and a "hall effect sticks too!" cherry on top would be a big bonus.
I didn't get steam controller because I wasn't economically comfortable to waste 50€ on something i didn't know i liked. After getting the steam deck. Well i was an idiot that was for sure. Valve knows better than me. If they got a new controller i'd buy at least 2.

The thing with xbox elite controller is that it it has higher firmware steam stops recognizing the back paddles. Also the microsoft app that is supposed to the back paddles customization (if the firmware is higher than 1.0) doesn't work like intended (allows only to use face buttons on the back paddles).

I imagine if someone buys a new controller they won't work due to new firmware.

I do wonder if it would be possible to downgrade the controller firmware to 1.0 and if that would lead to steam recognizing it again. If the controller was so crap i'd buy one to test. At its core i really like elite idea; it just doesn't deliver.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get steam controller because I wasn't economically comfortable to waste 50€ on something i didn't know i liked. After getting the steam deck. Well i was an idiot that was for sure. Valve knows better than me. If they got a new controller i'd buy at least 2.

Yeah, to be fair the initial Steam Controller is quite a bit different from what we have on the Steam Deck, in that the PRIMARY control surfaces were intended to be the trackpads, and it only had one thumbstick on it. I think it works, but it's definitely less traditional than the Deck setup and I totally get why some people don't like the setup or were put off by it initially.

I think now that they've got a controller configuration that is more widely accepted, it's time to revive the idea. No idea if they will, though.

Anyways, since we're on the subject, I did some more digging, and this appears to be a more up-to-date list of suitable controllers northnorth:

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
I tried No Rest for the Wicked and wow, the combat is really satisfying. Even destroying rolling through barrels have some oomph to it.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Thanks for the reply!

360 is way too much for me lol, 120hz is enough. And the new panel seems to suffer from a VRR flicker unlike the previous one :/

You're welcome! I admittedly wish I could help further. A maximum refresh rate of 120 Hz no longer seems to be as common in flagship monitors from 2024 and beyond, especially if you look at the OLED models. This particularly became apparent to me once the 4K displays jumped significantly from the 120 to 165 Hz range to 240 Hz.

Also LG has a 1440p panel with a new subpixel layout (RGWB instead of how they are currently RWBG) that isn't in any current or announced monitors that use yet. That is expected to improve the text clarity issue but who knows how effective it will be.

When will there be a product that uses that panel? Who knows. Later this year or maybe next years refresh. The "GS" in your post was just recently put out as this years refresh of the "GR" so they may space out the releases of the new panel could be for some new higher end line. Again, who knows.

This is true. Barring any changes and/or delays, LG's monitor production schedule is also something to consider.

1704803775520-png.328920

Phionoxx

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Ending the weekend having grabbed Moonlight Pulse, Crow Country, 1000xResist, Animal Well and Dread Delusion (for its 1.0 release on Tuesday).

Really resisting the urge to grab Hades 2 amd Indika, especially as there's Lorelei and the Laser Eyes later this week.

Now to find the time to play them all. Never been more happy that there haven't been many bigger games released so far this year that have been my thing. Indies are just taking all my time currently.

Yeah it's been an incredible run of indie games lately. Almost overwhelmingly so. I had slowed down on buying games to keep chipping away at the good old backlog, but I've recently grabbed Planet Crafter, Tchia, Dotage, Animal Well, Cryptmaster, 1000XResist, and Crow Country.

I do have some travel coming up so most of these went right to my Steam Deck. Looking forward to checking out each of them.

So far I've started Animal Well and Planet Crafter and enjoyed both from what I've played.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
In that situation I would map a back bumper using the 8bitdo app to something like "use", which shouldn't conflict too much when you want to sprint.

Then I would use JoyToKey or Steam's mapper to assign left shift to whatever button "use" is. Then it will fire both use and left shift on press

THank you.
I usually go to PCGW whenever i have a problem. I should really get in the habit of going there first.

Xbox elite 2 (original release) gets the back paddles recognized by steam out of the box. I have the Halo edition and it worked out of the box as long as:
- xbox controller software isn't running
- Firmware is at the lowest possible (i think 1.0)
- Steam expanded xbox controller options is on

All this said xbox elite 2 is one of the cheapest made controllers i ever used. I really enjoy the cool factor of Halo but holy fuck is it breaking a part slowly. (for comparison my xbox one controller is in a better shape;)

The thing with xbox elite controller is that it it has higher firmware steam stops recognizing the back paddles. Also the microsoft app that is supposed to the back paddles customization (if the firmware is higher than 1.0) doesn't work like intended (allows only to use face buttons on the back paddles).

I imagine if someone buys a new controller they won't work due to new firmware.

I do wonder if it would be possible to downgrade the controller firmware to 1.0 and if that would lead to steam recognizing it again. If the controller was so crap i'd buy one to test. At its core i really like elite idea; it just doesn't deliver.

Yeah, to be fair the initial Steam Controller is quite a bit different from what we have on the Steam Deck, in that the PRIMARY control surfaces were intended to be the trackpads, and it only had one thumbstick on it. I think it works, but it's definitely less traditional than the Deck setup and I totally get why some people don't like the setup or were put off by it initially.

I think now that they've got a controller configuration that is more widely accepted, it's time to revive the idea. No idea if they will, though.

Anyways, since we're on the subject, I did some more digging, and this appears to be a more up-to-date list of suitable controllers northnorth:

God y'all are fucking awesome. Thanks so much for all this help. I really, really appreciate it.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
God y'all are fucking awesome. Thanks so much for all this help. I really, really appreciate it.

I use JoyToKey on almost every game. I always map the guide button to quicksave in games that support it. I'm not sure you are allowed to map the guide button in the Steam remapper?

I also have like 100+ configurations in JoyToKey to play old DOS games. It's amazing playing classic games on the couch.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Beat Dave the Diver yesterday from PS Plus, absolutely loved it and I'm asking myself if I should go for 100%.
The only thing I HATE is the tamagotchi minigame.

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The Apex 4 from FlyDigi I use supports mapping the back buttons to keyboard inputs. You use the FlyDigi app for that, but it gets saved on the controller, so you don't need the app running in the background.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I was looking at Steam deals and Night in the Woods is currently 50% off...but the game released seven years ago.
I wonder if it will show up in a Humble Choice sooner or later or if I should just pick it up now, after seven years wasn't discounted at 75% off, so I wonder if devs don't want include it in a bundle at all.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I paid 10.79$ USD for it in 2018 lol

I think it was a price error or something on humble

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So I finished Animal Well and loved it.
I'm planning on getting another game that released the 9th, but I'm still deciding between Crow Country, 1000xResist or Little kitty. 🤔

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
The Heretic/Hexen Pack (4 items) is currently 90% off (historical low) on Steam.

store.steampowered.com

Save 90% on Heretic/Hexen Pack on Steam

Includes 4 items: Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, HeXen II, Hexen: Beyond Heretic, Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel...

Last edited:

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I'm planning on getting another game that released the 9th, but I'm still deciding between Crow Country, 1000xResist or Little kitty. 🤔

I bought 1000xResist and Crow Country and they're both excellent imo. If you're in the mood for classic Adventure-gameplay, good leveldesign and fun puzzles, get Crow Country. If you're looking for a heavily narrative- and character-driven experience with a compelling story and gripping storytelling, get 1000xResist.
I highly recommend both games.

Crimson Blood

May 8, 2024
You're welcome! I admittedly wish I could help further. A maximum refresh rate of 120 Hz no longer seems to be as common in flagship monitors from 2024 and beyond, especially if you look at the OLED models. This particularly became apparent to me once the 4K displays jumped significantly from the 120 to 165 Hz range to 240 Hz.

So I don't know much about the tech behind the monitors and I gotta ask, in terms of colors, HDR, etc is the new panel (the 360hz) better than the previous one? I don't really need a 360hz monitor but if it has better colors etc I might get one.

Jan 20, 2023
Actually, while we're talking about that monitor, which i'm very close to just chucking on the credit card because i'm an idiot that should not be allowed such things.

Is there any gold standard for monitor arm mounts, gas lift, that hold shit sturdy no matter where you put it? And dont wobble too much as well?

I want something that i can move around with like one finger, and also rotate for tate games, that is actually capable of holding up a monitor neatly and nicely and isn't just a case of cranking everything down so hard that its stiff as fuck, but it holds

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing 100 Pumpkins 2.

9BDC4544371ABA173BA3C7C06F1CF56220703F65

I feel like this room has been responsible for probably 50 of those 507 deaths so far.

Never heard of this game until now, but it looks really cool. We don't see enough single-screen games like this imo. A limitation you can build fun games around.