Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
On Act 3, almost Act 4 of Gears 5 now and I honestly don't understand the praise around the game.
Sure the PC version is well optimized, it runs very well, but the campaign is way too similar to the Gears 4 one, the story is here as it was here in the other Gears games just to justify some shooting.
It's nice they added a semi-open world, but honestly it's not so interesting to navigate, so after I cleared the first snowy area I didn't bother with the desert one even because you can live without those ultimate upgrades for Jack.
To me Gears 5 is exactly what Gears 4 was: an honest, funny week-end game you'll beat and forget in about one week. If you are not interested in the multiplayer there's no reason to dump 70€ on this.

Also I wonder, since the game uses XBox login, if you share savegames between the Win Store and Steam version.
Idk seems to be about what its getting reviewed as. A solid 7/8 game. Starts out strong, but becomes a chore when they open the world up. Good for a play through of Act 1 at least. And yeah I think saves are synced across your live account.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
First sorry for not replying earlier busy day at work and even busier day at home (did i mention that i hate contractors?) so i just managed to cache a break and eat something after 12+ hours XD

2/3rds of your examples have barely (if at all) released games in this new period you're referring to. Vlambeer hasn't released a game since 2015, and Team Meat since 2010. If you want to cite this reason, it makes sense with Supergiant, but not really with them. And really, 2015 was when the floodgates were already open, and it was probably Vlambeer's biggest PC hit.

They are all ready to release new game in next few months (or in case of SuperGiant they already did)and both Team Meat and Vilambeer are developing games that have kinda heavy competition on the market (for example when SMB was released there was almost nothing like it then). And i was bit hyperbolic but i still believe that we wouldn't see this much complaining if Steam was still what it was 6+ years ago.

Rami is releasing Ultrabugs on Steam tho (paraphrasing here, but something along of the lines of "thats where our community is, and we appreciate that")

So, he recognizes the relationship and doesn't want to burn bridges with his audience the way Epic is advocating, but resents it all the same and just generally blames Valve...for everything.

I don't have anything against Rami he seems like cool guy. I just have issue with his views that customers don't matter that much and that everything is about developers. I believe that there should be middle ground.

We don't know if Epic courted Rami. Maybe he would have accepted the moneybag, if given the opportunity.
To me, Rami's only goal is to lower Valve's cut ("blink"). He is welcoming the cosmetic changes of the Steam library, but he was expecting other changes. That is all.
Come on...
Also, the "most vocal" are the most well-known devs and publishers, because these are the ones whom we listen to.
Nobody pays attention to IndieDev#94857 on Twitter. For all I know, they could be very vocal, yelling at the clouds, and nobody would ever notice.

Big publishers will always complain about something. And regarding best known devs, i see that as an issue. Ramis opinions are not more valuable than for example Supraland devs opinion. And should be treated equally in my opinion. There are lots of indie devs with great opinions that i follow on social media, more people should pay attention to them.

This is extremely disingenuous.

As i said above i was hyperbolic but i still believe that there is some truth to that.

All in all i still don;t have an issues with devs making decisions for their own interests as long as they don;t try to convince me that it is for my own good too. Do whatever you need to get food on your table, i am doing the same, that is perfectly normal thing to do, just be honest about it.

On the more bright side GreedFall Launch Trailer is really good and according to ACG there is almost no euro jank in it and world lore and story is super interesting.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
dex3108 since you are clearly a developer on Greedfall, can you play as some sort of minion-based class in it? One that summons things to assist you, something like a summoner you could call it. Or is it just stabby shit?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
dex3108 since you are clearly a developer on Greedfall, can you play as some sort of minion-based class in it? One that summons things to assist you, something like a summoner you could call it. Or is it just stabby shit?

Lol i am far from game development, i am poor architect XD And from what i know it is mostly magic attacks, guns and swords in combat. And you have companions that can fight with you.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Steam version surprised me with solid performance and the fact the bothered with actually adding all those Steam features like trading cards and cloud support. And most importantly, it even has properly implemented counters on Steam achievements, so every time you pick up collectibles it shows how many of them you collected and how much left:
unknown.png

It's been a quite while since last time I've seen developer bothered with implementing this feature properly. The campaign so far was fun, need to try other modes before making a proper preview.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even watch the trailer through if it opens with 10 seconds of fading through the game name and developer name like the one in that post. Typically a store icon looks interesting, I click it then immediately skip to the center of the trailer and watch a few seconds, only looking at more info if the gameplay or graphics are interesting. I think some stuff slips through the cracks with this method, but the throughput is high.
Trailers really need to get to the point faster. Many don't even have gameplay footage in them and some pages bury the in game screenshots way down the list too. With so much choice out there we need to see what the game actually is fast.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Still got my DRM-free copy of Vampyre Story that I got off Dot-emu website years ago.
Windows still suspects the installer :V

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I..uh, am one of you now. I just ordered a pre-built unit (due to store credit at a retailer that doesn't sell parts themselves), so I will now be adding (more recent) PC games to my library. Not that I needed to get a new PC to upgrade from my laptop, but I'll be going from:
  • i7-4800MQ
  • 32GB DDR3 1600Mhz
  • GTX 765M
to
  • i9-9900K
  • 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz
  • RTX 2070 Super
What's the best way to keep apprised of sales and promotions? I've previously used the Steam wishlist, but it seems like the market is different since I've last paid attention 5-6 years ago. I've just been playing games on console/handheld these past years, with PC games like Cities:Skylines. Dota 2, and Civ V on the lowest settings, so my library is pretty outdated.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I play indies almost exclusively on my Switch (previously Vita), but I'm probably only going to focus on the big AAA and/or PC exclusives for my PC (since I already have a ton of games across my various consoles already).
isthereanydeal is your friend for all the official key distributors around. It will autosync your steam wishlist if you want and email about new deals for games on there.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Rassumfrassum

Humble updated the price of new Yooka Laylee game and it can be had for $22 if one is a monthly subber.

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing Metro Exodus this morning. I'd been eyeballing it on the EGS since I got my new GPU (2070 Super) but didn't want to necessarily pay $58 for it and the new DLC. Imagine my surprise when I saw it was on sale on the Humble shop and, with a few discounts I had, I got them both for $37! That was a steal.

I'm really impressed with how well it runs. I'm running everything Ultra with full RTX on at 1080p with DLSS and it never drops below 60. I'm really enjoying it so far, though I enjoyed the other entries as well. I will say I don't think I've ever seen such a poorly representational benchmark, though. It ran concerningly crappy, and then I played the game and it has been smooth sailing.

I guess because I'm playing with DLSS it's actually rendering at 720p and then upscaling? I'm also using the new Sharpening filter and it looks like a damn sharp picture so I'm really impressed.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if people from China can buy games from the windows store?

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure Windows 10 has that big of a marketshare in China. But yes, I believe the store works in China. No idea if Gears of any other games would be on it though.
Thanks. I was wondering if that was one of the reasons that MS sells their games on Steam.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Played like 8 hours of Gears tonight and having a ton of fun. I am getting some stuttering issues though which is a pain. I think it might be due to having a 20xx series card and DX12? I feel like that's an issue I've seen before, although I've not really had any issues with other DX12 games.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that the Ghost Recon Breakpoint beta, Gears of War 5 EA, and MHW: Iceborne all dropped on the same weekend.

And the game I'm playing? The Division 2, lol.

I think it's pretty great. I kinda miss the snow, but I do enjoy all the QOL improvements, I like that the gun mods are just on/off and you don't have to search through thousands of them.

I think D2's open world mechanics are enough, Ghost Recon is too much with all the vehicles and everything.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still in the strategy cubicle, playing Age of Wonders: Planetfall... and now Fantasy Generals II. With Total Warhammer 2's new DLC coming out next week.

This strategy gaming resurgance has been hella sweet.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Reinstalling my drivers (the same version that was already installed) fixed my Gears issues 🤷‍♂️ I guess that's good at least.

The new PvZ game is out for Origin Access Premier. I guess I'll give it a spin.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Darksiders 3 done and dusted. Not bad, but Darksiders 1 is still my favourite in the series.

Now to start Creature in the Well on Game Pass. I hope this game is free of UWP bullshit.

C4rter

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
And the game I'm playing? The Division 2, lol.

I think it's pretty great. I kinda miss the snow, but I do enjoy all the QOL improvements, I like that the gun mods are just on/off and you don't have to search through thousands of them.

I think D2's open world mechanics are enough, Ghost Recon is too much with all the vehicles and everything.

Division 2 really is better than the first one in every way. They improved every bit that was weak before.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Did Ubisoft fix the issue with Uplay+? I want to play FC5, Watchdogs 2 and New Dawn but I don't wanna be charged 15€.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Finally upgrading my PC from an i7 930, 6GB RAM and a GTX 770 2GB to i9 9900K, 16GB RAM and a RTX 2080. I haven't even had an SSD before now, really excited for a huuuge jump in performance.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't even looked at Gamepass for PC yet. I'm subbed and have a few games installed but boy that is one big backlog for me. I'm currently trying (emphasis on trying) to play No Man's Sky but they fucked up Steam Controller so badly that it doesn't actually work from launching the game so I can't play on Steam Link. This is even worse because Hello Games specifically use Steam Input now too.

Playing Knights and Bikes with the girlfriend, absolutely loving the artstyle and general gameplay. I've got Cat Quest 2 coming out later in September, plus Yakuza 0 to still finish, Everspace, DARQ, Undertale, DMC 5, Gears 5, Tomb Raider, Kingsway, Riverbond, Dead Cells, Blair Witch if I feel like shitting my pants and probably waaaay too many others. I need some kind of spinning wheel to tell me what to play and lock out all other games until I've played it.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Creature in the Well on Game Pass is installed in a folder called "ModifiableWindowsApps", which is the first time I've seen that.

This bodes well for Game Pass on PC in the future, because as far as I can tell this is just a standard UE4 file structure and nothing is encrypted weirdly.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Started playing Metro Exodus this morning. I'd been eyeballing it on the EGS since I got my new GPU (2070 Super) but didn't want to necessarily pay $58 for it and the new DLC. Imagine my surprise when I saw it was on sale on the Humble shop and, with a few discounts I had, I got them both for $37! That was a steal.

I'm really impressed with how well it runs. I'm running everything Ultra with full RTX on at 1080p with DLSS and it never drops below 60. I'm really enjoying it so far, though I enjoyed the other entries as well. I will say I don't think I've ever seen such a poorly representational benchmark, though. It ran concerningly crappy, and then I played the game and it has been smooth sailing.

I guess because I'm playing with DLSS it's actually rendering at 720p and then upscaling? I'm also using the new Sharpening filter and it looks like a damn sharp picture so I'm really impressed.
Obviously too late and maybe it wouldn't have been appealing to you, but as a reminder to anyone else interested in Metro, it can be played on Gamepass for Windows for as low as a dollar. (I think that deal's still on right now?)

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously too late and maybe it wouldn't have been appealing to you, but as a reminder to anyone else interested in Metro, it can be played on Gamepass for Windows for as low as a dollar. (I think that deal's still on right now?)
This is true it is also a good idea that I completely forgot about. Thank you for the suggestion.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of interesting insights from the Gamasutra article. I pretty much browse the same way. Though the part about looking for similarity to the games I play probably depends on my mood. With the same example the article gives, Shortest Trip to Earth, I just ended up thinking that while I like FTL, I've played FTL and moved on.

I'm totally the same way about cinematic trailers and screenshots as that one guy. Totally pointless and tells me nothing about a game. Don't care. Give me UI, give me gameplay. Everything else is not informative unless your game is heavily story driven like Man of Medan.

I do the same thing on eShop. But there's an added rub: I almost always nope out if I get the feeling they're showing bullshots.

It's interesting how the top of store pages on EGS are all populated by trailers. Not just one but like three to five. Who watches all that? Screenshots are hidden in a drop down box. Like what.

Last edited:

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of interesting insights from the Gamasutra article. I pretty much browse the same way. Though the part about looking for similarity to the games I play probably depends on my mood. With the same example the article gives, Shortest Trip to Earth, I just ended up thinking that while I like FTL, I've played FTL and moved on.

I'm totally the same way about cinematic trailers and screenshots as that one guy. Totally pointless and tells me nothing about a game. Don't care. Give me UI, give me gameplay. Everything else is not informative unless your game is heavily story driven like Man of Medan.
I am on-board in the same way about trailers except I don't even care about cinematic style trailers in story driven games. Cut-scene driven content tells me nothing about the gameplay or the UI and that is about all I care about.
I also move on pretty fast if I still don't know about how the game will play after skipping through the trailer. I'm impatient and irritable and have better things to do with my time than spend it searching the information a dev has provided about their game for actual information.
That's not to say that I won't go back at some point and buy the game but that will always be driven by talk in places like this.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
Nice hot take. The End is Nigh is made by both him and Edmund McMillen (you know, the actual Super Meat Boy creator), and McMillen did the bulk of the game design.

I think I prefer it to SMB as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wasn't a hot take lol
Probably should have said worse SMB though, to be fair.
Didn't like it nearly as much.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I checked Twitch after a while and man did WoW hit Fortnite, or maybe it was Season 10. One way or another current trajectory is going downward for both number of channels that stream the game and number of viewers.

Lifetime Averge

K1QHcT0.png

This year Average

RE6bpcc.png

This year Peak

Ps16Bhx.png

Last year

nkCA7oY.png

This year

2ju8XBL.png

In general all stat are down between 30%-50% compared to last year. My theory is that FPS games have 1.5 - 2 years of prime time before numbers are starting to go down and they stabilize when mostly core players are ones left playing the game. Same happened to PUBG for example. I wonder how long will WoW Classic last. Also i am really surprised by Minecraft and GTA Online raise on Twitch.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really interesting article about purchase behaviors on Steam

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ChrisZukowski/20190906/350248/How_Steam_users_see_your_game.php

Makes you wonder how more barren stores fail at triggering that sale. So many little details are paramount to catching peoples interest.
'The only one who buys our indie games are people with 100+ or even 1k+ games'
'But why aren't they buying them right away and just wishlisting in best case scenario'

Well cause they have 100+ or even 1k+ games already. That detective work is only second to Sherlock's. Also probably doesn't buy shit but wants everyone to buy his shit.

Freezard

Oct 28, 2017
I now understand the idea behind the early-access Game Pass program. We're just lab rats used for free to bug and stress test their servers. You can't play Gears 5 without getting kicked out every second minute anymore, it's a disaster.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Bought NBA 2k20 and I can't play the game because the framerates plummet even on the lowest settings. Considering the 1060 is well past the recommended specs I am so confused.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I now understand the idea behind the early-access Game Pass program. We're just lab rats used for free to bug and stress test their servers. You can't play Gears 5 without getting kicked out every second minute anymore, it's a disaster.
Well when you are essentially giving away a game, its probably smart to have a staggered release.

Status
Not open for further replies.