• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I did not realize that the "secret computations" of Mike lead him to conclude that the number of copies sold decreased by 70% in 2019 compared to 2018.
Come on, 70%? That is too much and should make anyone doubt the computations.
Similarly, when you look at the slide about "secret computations", you come to realize that "monthly sales" are inferred from the number of followers and the number of Steam reviews. Then the "annual sales" are inferred from the "monthly sales" during the first month. All this with the "monthly sales" actually computed solely in July.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
So the Sojourn is a 1st person puzzler?

This is the first trailer that actually communicated that clearly.

Looks neat, but certainly isn't a must buy.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I did not realize that the "secret computations" of Mike lead him to conclude that the number of copies sold decreased by 70% in 2019 compared to 2018.

Come on, 70%? That is too much and should make anyone doubt of the computations.

FUYLd36.png
The key word here is average, consider the following
80, 75, 85, 78
Their average is 80+75+85+78 = 318/4 = 79.5

Now consider the following
80, 80, 10, 10
Their average is 180 / 4 = 45

I think he is basing his numbers by including indies that likely sold in the 1000s if not hundreds...though even with that yeah, there could be doubt in the computations.

Mind you I am very likely simplyfying things with the 2 examples I used ^^;

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I think he is basing his numbers by including indies that likely sold in the 1000s if not hundreds...though even with that yeah, there is doubt in the computations.

I agree. Mike is using the median, so it should be a bit more robust than the average against this effect, but it can be impacted.
The 70% decrease is for the median. For the mean, the decrease is 88%!

The conclusion of Mike's observations should be that there was an 88% decrease of #reviews among the top 20% games in July 2019 compared to the top 20% games in July 2018. As you pointed out, this discrepancy could be explained by simpler stuff: say 15% of the top games are successful in 2019, compared to say 20% in 2018. You look at the top 20% in both cases, and your stats for 2019 are low because of the 5% mildly successful which you included.

On top of that, going from #reviews in July to #sales in July, and finally to #sales over a year, is shaky.

Last edited:

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

Try DG Voodoo2 its a wrapper for Direct X 8 games that can fix some issues (and improve others). I used it for like every old Falcom port.
Try disabling 3D audio. That's apparently a thing:
DX8 or 9? Try 8 if you're using 9.
Thanks. But all these doesn't seem to work with DX8 making the crash rate even worse. I think I'm just gonna have to bear it.
Thank god for autosave.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Between the two, Avernum and Avadon feel mechanically familiar, but Avadon is more guided while Avernum is more open, IIRC. I wanna say Avadon is also a bit heavier on storytelling. Oh and Avadon has premade companions with dialog of their own while Avernum is a make-your-own-party deal... I think? It's been a while.

I'd say play Avernum just to see the spider cave. It's unforgettable. But if you're up for more of a loreful deep-dive, go for Avadon.

Thanks for the overview. Avadon seems more up my alley as I love lore-dumps. I'll mentally file it for future reference.

I wound up nabbing Queen's Wish anyway as Mad was gracious enough to pass along their 20% Off coupon my way.

Looking forward to digging in this weekend!

Oct 25, 2017
I did not think of that possibility. I could see that happening in some kind of cartoony joke.

If cannons are means of transportation for players as well, it changes a bit my view regarding this game.
SoT release had a marketing stunt involving stunt mans in cannons solely because of that, is one of the main ways of getting into enemy ships/getting into islands fast.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Nicalis always seemed pretty suspect. A lot of games they got involved with went dark for, like, years.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Larian linking using a Steam account instead of their own acount (like Civ does) points towards they at least using a new part of Steam API, even if they themselves developed it. Maybe we get a Sven goes into Valve home office to raid them, like for the Baldurs Gate 3 announcement (Pax West should be close enough to their home office to be able to do it).

Am I a Larian dev? You decide

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Am I a Larian dev? You decide

Ha. That's fun. The fact that they're making a surprisingly big deal of and generating buzz for the explanation of how they managed to get Steam linked to the Switch coupled with the teaser image of the Valve lobby room definitely leads me to believe they're using new parts of the Steam API. I don't want to make too many connections, but we're getting the beta for the Steam overhaul a day after this, so it's possible a few new features will come to light.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'll consider that as close to a confirmation as Valve would ever give. Excited to see what's planned. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but cloud saves becoming more hardware agnostic due to new API features would just be really wonderful.

What's the implication here? I don't get it 😭

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

The new system already rolled out to around 5% of Steam users over "the past few weeks." Users in the experimental group were 15% more likely to click on recommended games.That drove an overall 75% increase in unique games visited, and a 47% increase in unique visits per game – all of which suggests this is broadly positive for both players and developers.

The surprising / great news about this is that Steam finally used a sectional change (instead of all the store) to try algorithm changes. That was one of the reasons why the previous "algorithm apocalypse" of last year was so annoying (edit: to me), because it is always stupid to do updates to the entire algorithm without actually testing it in smaller markets.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Last edited:

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Make a Souls-like game with such loading times (Darksiders 3) and a horrible checkpoint system...yeah, it makes sense. The game playes like garbage on PS4 Pro, I wonder how bad it is on vanilla PS4 at this point.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France

The surprising / great news about this is that Steam finally used a sectional change (instead of all the store) to try algorithm changes. That was one of the reasons why the previous "algorithm apocalypse" of last year was so annoying (edit: to me), because it is always stupid to do updates to the entire algorithm without actually testing it in smaller markets.

More details directly at the source:

Below, a visualization of the places which have changed. I have checked the "More Like This" section for a few games, and it is very relevant and nice! Thanks, Epic?

There is an interesting part about the "popularity":

We also found that in some places our timescale used to calculate popularity was too narrow, resulting in unpredictable visibility for some games. So we expanded the time period we use in those calculations.

It is possible that "popularity" is some average over time, maybe of page impressions, sales, or concurrent players. At least, we can guess that it is not an instant value like the number of owners, because using a time window would not make much sense.

Last edited:

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Thanks to Steam's new algorithm, I have discovered a few games. The most promising one is a Metroidvania: Foregone. It has some Dead Cells vibes.

Foregone-BirdsNest.gif

It was my last recommendation in the "More Like This section" for Hollow Knight, just before the recommendation of games which I already own.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Thanks to Steam's new algorithm, I have discovered a few games. The most promising one is a Metroidvania: Foregone.

It has some Dead Cells and Another World vibes.

Foregone-BirdsNest.gif

I originally saw this on the Kinda Funny E3 showcase.

I'm curious if I'm gonna get any new recommendations for games similar to Warlander or Ashes of Oahu.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Did you just discover that "more like" page?

Yes. I did not know you could have a view like this one. I only knew about the list at the bottom of the game page.

Anyway, the "more like this" section was rarely relevant before the update.
As mentioned in the blog post, it was "bugged", and "popular" games were recommended too often, to a point they were not necessarily relevant.

Now, the tag-based recommendations for games similar to Hollow Knight look really good to me. I love how there are both Ori and Dark Souls.
It took a long time for Valve to fix it, and it may be thanks to Lars Doucet (hire the dude, Gabe). It was about time we get some recommendations like these.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.