• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 99% convinced that they have to continue development because they have arrangements with HitRecord or something like that.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
TBH I don't really care anymore if this gets cancelled. I have a feeling this game will just follow the current Ubisoft open world formula.

Jan 4, 2023
I wish it was cancelled.

Original: Tight 10-12 hour narrative experience set in a small but detailed world with a great juxtaposition of cute and funny characters with a dark and sinister regime.

Sequel: Big open and expansive game which will probably be 50 hours long with 900 rpg mechanics, totally unrecognisable as the same series and might as well be Assassins Creed in space. Edgy and cool characters with swearing and attitude.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
beyond-good-and-evil-2-still-in-development-ubisoft-cancels-platform-game-550x309.jpg

Edit: Sorry, that was mean. :)

Meanwookie

Jan 6, 2022
Not sure I care anymore given what they said it would be always online meaning microtransaction and needless busywork quests with grinding the same activities over and over again.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I wish it was cancelled.

Original: Tight 10-12 hour narrative experience set in a small but detailed world with a great juxtaposition of cute and funny characters with a dark and sinister regime.

Sequel: Big open and expansive game which will probably be 50 hours long with 900 rpg mechanics, totally unrecognisable as the same series and might as well be Assassins Creed in space. Edgy and cool characters with swearing and attitude.

Yep, it'd be better if it was cancelled. Needs a complete do over with a modest budget and actually continuing from the first game.

Im not even a huge fan of the original, it was pretty good, but not spectacular.

Bulgowski

Apr 8, 2022
Despite the change in tone, I was really looking forward to this when it was announced. The original was one of my favorite games growing up and the cliffhanger ending hit me hard at the time.

With that said, it's really hard to care when it's been half a decade with nothing to really show for it.

Last edited:

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
This is one of those games I can't help but be excited for. Yeah it's not gonna be like the original, yeah it might fall apart under the weight of its own ambition.

But its one of a few Ubi games that just looks different, and I'm in day 1 for any of their stuff that feels off the wall. Open world co-op space pirate game? Hell yes.

If they can make a world that has a mix of dedicated hand-crafted action-adventure ish stages like the original for major story stuff and significant side quests, as well as fun if filler content that you do do with your buddies, and they make the point to point traversal fun and fast, either by jetpack or spaceship, it could be something really great.

Or it could be skull and bones in space I guess.

Oh well. At least it's not cancelled.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Really? I mean this is one of the projects that should actually be cancelled, I assumed it was one of them lol. I know us here on the forums know what BGE is but I just don't think there's appeal for a wider audience anymore.

If not they should just rename it and create a new IP out of it.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
If there's any company that should be greenlighting more short, linear, or otherwise experimental experiences just for the sake of getting things out the door, it's Ubisoft. Their open-world-or-bust template is going to sink the company at this rate.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Haha. I love Beyond Good and Evil. I wanted a sequel for so long. What Ancel was working on wasn't really it and I have no confidence that they'll ever release that or any game in series now.

They should just remake 1 now. It would still be awesome.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The alpha footage that they've shared of the game kind of unsold me entirely on what they're trying to do with the game so at this point I've lost interest in whatever they have in store.

Oct 31, 2017
This really needs to happen. M&M could be used for a decent breadth of games and M&M X was a decent dungeon crawler. Nothing good since.
Yeah, that's the thing.
M&M X was basically made on a budget approximating "We'll pay you guys with exposure" territory and the team had to recycle assets from a tactical game spin-off (M&M Heroes VII) AND STILL manages to be fun and enjoyable.
Imagine if they gave the IP to someone who actually tried.

And to be frank it's not like I care about the setting itself, but both Might & Magic "mainline" and its major spin-offs (Heroes of M&M as a tactical game and Clash of Heroes as a puzzle game) were just excellent.

Oct 30, 2017
My apologies but I can't think of a game that was revealed 2-3 years ago. I think it was a new IP from Ubisoft (?) that looked similar is scope to ICO? Involved maybe brothers or two people? Art style wasn't that realistic.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
reminder that this was announced as a normal sequel in 2008

Jade's voice actress passed away in 2018

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Im as skeptical as everyone but I will say I find it extremely odd that Ubi is publicly cancelling multiple games but saying this one is still coming.

Having just beat BGE again for the nth time - this time on steam deck - I'm gonna go ahead and hold on to hopes that the lack of any info for the past few years has all been due to it being re tooled into a conventional single player campaign that actually continues the story of the first game (ie. Pey'j getting infected in the post credits sequence)

Pretty unrealistic given ancel I think says he has left the game industry

Jade's voice actress passed away in 2018
Ah shit didn't realize this, RIP

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah, that's the thing.
M&M X was basically made on a budget approximating "We'll pay you guys with exposure" territory and the team had to recycle assets from a tactical game spin-off (M&M Heroes VII) AND STILL manages to be fun and enjoyable.
Imagine if they gave the IP to someone who actually tried.

And to be frank it's not like I care about the setting itself, but both Might & Magic "mainline" and its major spin-offs (Heroes of M&M as a tactical game and Clash of Heroes as a puzzle game) were just excellent.
Yep, it's a shame to lose that heritage. MM5-7 we're very solid games back in the day. HOMM series was excellent (till they f-d it up), and MMX was good despite all odds.

Thing is now days I can't even think if anyone who would make that style of games anymore and would have funds to buy the IP.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
It seemed to lack a purpose from what I saw. Honestly think most people would prefer a single player more enclosed but vibrant city than whatever open world behemoth has been shown so far. Suspect it'll be wide as a lake, deep as a puddle.

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
I'm 99% convinced that they have to continue development because they have arrangements with HitRecord or something like that.

I was wondering something similar.

I have to imagine there was some weird, complicated contract in place, particularly if they were actively using user-submitted content for free under the proviso that it would eventually be sold.

I don't know much about the company but I imagine when you have a known face like JGL attached they're probably very keen not to have a supposedly huge project dramatically fail and have him be associated with it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm more surprised they REALLY plan on keeping the number.

Then again we've had a few examples of "sequels" becoming the new starting point for a series despite not being the first game.