• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's going to be a flood of new headset info releasing in the next week or so, specifically the Valve Index reveal, F8 event where Oculus Quest/Rift S are going to be shown or maybe on sale, and HP Reverb, which seems to be releasing anytime now (they said end of April) but then again that's for enterprises. We are ditching console and mobile VR and is entering gen 2 VR very soon.

I am thinking of a centralized hype/news thread for these new headsets, but there's already a rather active Valve thread going on, so I am not sure. Or maybe just a thread for Oculus Rift S/Quest. I hope to hear what you guys think.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I think a reveal thread for the Index would be good. Lots of speculation and old discussions in the current thread and with actual info (hopefully) from the reveal, a new thread would give a clean start.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
There's going to be a flood of new headset info releasing in the next week or so, specifically the Valve Index reveal, F8 event where Oculus Quest/Rift S are going to be shown or maybe on sale, and HP Reverb, which seems to be releasing anytime now (they said end of April) but then again that's for enterprises. We are ditching console and mobile VR and is entering gen 2 VR very soon.

I am thinking of a centralized hype/news thread for these new headsets, but there's already a rather active Valve thread going on, so I am not sure. Or maybe just a thread for Oculus Rift S/Quest. I hope to hear what you guys think.
Index and Quest should get their own threads. Rift S being kind of a side grade probably doesn't need one. Just an update to the currently existing Rift OP.

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico

I'm curious to know what you mean by that

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious to know what you mean by that

I am asking for suggestion on which thread to make next week:

A dedicated thread for Oculus Rift S + Oculus Quest + Valve Index + HP Reverb

Or

A dedicated thread for Oculus Rift S + Oculus Quest

In these threads we can have consolidated announcements, specs, games, news, discussions etc for the headsets

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
"largest Arizona Sunshine mission to date" sounds great. The last DLC was much too short. This is still one of my favorite VR games.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.

If you wear glasses, I highly recommend getting custom inserts. Because I remembered Krejlooc praising vrlens-eu (now vroptician), I went with them. It took 2 weeks to get to TX from Germany (cheap $7 shipping tho), but they came last night. Splurged on the blue light filter coating, just like I do for my normal glasses and it came out looking very nice. I wish my optometrist could cut my glasses lenses correctly (on the first try) like these guys did - no badly edged cut, not extra CA to be found! They're perfect, flawless.

I only wear my glasses in PSVR, and got by just fine in my Vive (they wouldn't fit)... or so I thought. I only now realize how much I was straining my eyes when trying to play games. Things are just so much more comfortable now. It's so nice and pleasant, very natural. There are some neat micro details I was missing, like the scuffs and dirt on the newer weapon models in Pavlov.

That said, really long range high detail scenarios like Onward, and some of Pavlov are still unplayable for me. Trees look 8 bit in the distance. The new shooting range in Pavlov becomes guesswork at the 60(m?) mark. There's just not enough resolution in the stock Vive. It's also easy to notice other things, like the narrow sweet spot, or the additional blur you can see when tracking an object while moving your head around the lens+screen. That Valve "VRR"-esque patent makes sense to me now.

I wonder how VRoptrician is going to handle the Index? That's potentially 3 layers of lenses! Plus, if Valve did sneak behind the lens eye tracking in, how will an additional lens affect its performance?

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2019/04/26/mastering-motion/

Really awesome blog post talking about how Dolphin has finally figured out how to emulate motion+ controllers.

At the end, they then talk about how they want to support the (finally) released OpenXR API. Official VR support with VR motion controllers being used instead of Wiimotes? *Drools* Going to be amazing when/if this finally occurs.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, I have a question. I need a way to have the hdmi on the front of my case.
DO you have any solutions?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I know that usb extenders are very problematic, is hdmi the same or is a simple cable good enough?

I used a couple of extenders bound together with cable ties - one HDMI, one USB3 - for my WMR. They bring the connections around from back to the front of my PC and adds about 1m to the overall cable length which is really helpful

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Sooooo, I just saved myself from having to buy another windows license.
WMR doesn't work with N versions of Windows. And my desktop had Pro N until today. I installed Home without activating it and was planning on buying a boxed license tomorrow.
But I looked at the activation troubleshooter and it said that my pc had a Pro (without the N) license and that if I wanted to upgrade. I said yes, and I am now playing WMR with my legit license and without paying anything.

TL;DR: Digital licenses for N versions of Windows 10 also work for non-N versions. I am now playing WMR without issues.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
I used a couple of extenders bound together with cable ties - one HDMI, one USB3 - for my WMR. They bring the connections around from back to the front of my PC and adds about 1m to the overall cable length which is really helpful
I have a 3m extension on USB and HDMI for my wmr to play in the dining area downstairs and it works fine.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
As for the extension cables, I only need to add the hdmi one, my play area isn't big, but at least I know I have the option for usb cables.
Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Space Junkies is on sale until May 10th.

Some people have a problem with the 2v2 format and the lack of content, but that seems exactly the right pricepoint for this game. I really enjoyed my time with the beta and this seems like as good a time as any to jump in. The PSVR version is also on sale until the 8th of May - there's PC vs PS4 crossplay (it can be turned off). The population could see a jump if enough people buy in (no real way to track though, steam charts is busted for this game for some reason).

It seems the dev team is in the middle of doing the usual GAAS-esque roadmap thing, so the usual healthy amount of salt is applicable. Just so you know before jumping in.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH

Some people have a problem with the 2v2 format and the lack of content, but that seems exactly the right pricepoint for this game. I really enjoyed my time with the beta and this seems like as good a time as any to jump in. The PSVR version is also on sale until the 8th of May - there's PC vs PS4 crossplay (it can be turned off). The population could see a jump if enough people buy in (no real way to track though, steam charts is busted for this game for some reason).

It seems the dev team is in the middle of doing the usual GAAS-esque roadmap thing, so the usual healthy amount of salt is applicable. Just so you know before jumping in.

The Beta was great and the price drop was a good call, but to me it kind of shows how out of touch Ubisoft is with the VR market. Everyone knew 40 bucks was too much to ask for a multiplayer only VR game, barring it was somehow some next level killer VR app stuff. And some people's mentality (on the discord and elsewhere) is "40 bucks isn't too much to ask for a high caliber near AAA game; if you want these types of games you have to pay the price". Well if that's the case, we ain't ready for AAA VR games, or at least multiplayer only ones. Pavlov is by far the most popular multiplayer game right now, and a lot of that has to do with the price, although it being hailed as the Counterstrike of VR with all the Steam Workshop stuff really helps.

I'm monitoring the population to see if it grows or at least maintains the bump it's had since the sale. It's definitely great fun, if not very simple. Honestly the multiplayer game I'm rooting for the most right now is Contractors VR. I think it's sort of in between Onward/Pavlov as far as tactical vs. arcadey, and it has the best weapon handling and graphics out of all 3. The control mode is also simple but great. The maps are really well designed too, and the developers are coming out with good updates. If they keep getting support, the game could be something else in a year or so.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017

I bought this and briefly played it last night. Got through the intro tutorial and did a quick match of online 1v1. Got worked by some other dude who was level 7, think I killed him one time. He of course was talking smack the entire time on the mic "wow you f*cking suck" etc. Sigh, was kind of a turn off.

Anyways, the controls are solid - it didn't take long for my brain to adjust and feel fairly natural for a zero gravity game. I could see the game being really enjoyable if you have a buddy to play with. Does the game support offline mode via bots for practice?

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
https://store.steampowered.com/valveindex

Yeah... No.

unknown.png

Honestly feels like a "mid gen" upgrade again.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
https://store.steampowered.com/valveindex

Yeah... No.

unknown.png

Honestly feels like a "mid gen" upgrade again.
Yeah... With all of the improvements to WMR over the last year software wise and getting back into VR, I just don't see enough improvement here. Inside-out tracking has gotten way better on the software end which was WMR's biggest downside to me. My HP headset already does 1440x1440 per eye, and while the FoV isn't great at 95 degrees, it's still more than good enough for the experiences currently out there.

I'd probably get a better experience right now upgrading from the 4GB RX580 than I would upgrading the headset (plus then I'd have to deal with setting up towers every time I wanted to play).

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be upgrading from my Rift/Vive to the Index, although I wish Valve would at least pay some lip service to wireless and let us know it is forward compatible with some planned solution.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Was super excited for Index but those specs for that price? NOPE. Might just replace my Rift with a Rift S instead.

Yeah... With all of the improvements to WMR over the last year software wise and getting back into VR, I just don't see enough improvement here. Inside-out tracking has gotten way better on the software end which was WMR's biggest downside to me. My HP headset already does 1440x1440 per eye, and while the FoV isn't great at 95 degrees, it's still more than good enough for the experiences currently out there.

I'd probably get a better experience right now upgrading from the 4GB RX580 than I would upgrading the headset (plus then I'd have to deal with setting up towers every time I wanted to play).
I'd go the WMR but 2 cameras doesn't seem like enough to me :x That and I don't want to get stuck with WMR controllers lol

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Preordered my Rift S through Best Buy for in store pick up. Gonna WFH that day and pick it up in the AM. I'm excited to have a headset I can just pickup and move whenever I want to hook into racing games, since my racing setup is in a separate room.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Got a few discount codes in my Steam inventory, all four expire 2019-05-05 18:00:00 CET. Any takers?

NcTTdw0.png

Edit: only Electronauts left (never tried that one myself)

Last edited:

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Got a few discount codes in my Steam inventory, all four expire 2019-05-05 18:00:00 CET. Any takers?

QgiIXfw.png
Not for me but a friend of mine just ordered his first VR headset (the Rift S) and was telling me today he doesn't know what games to get, so The Gallery Ep1 & 2 codes would be a pretty awesome gift for him.

Edit: Oh, I logged on and have all these in my inventory as well, hah! Never mind :)

jwc13ac

Oct 30, 2017
Really torn on these knuckles... at 199, no brainer... hard not to feel a bit ripped off.

Anyone have experience with them that would make me feel better dropping almost 300 on them? I feel like gripping would be so much more fun, and I really want an analog stick instead.

What's everyone thinking?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have some coupons to if anyone wants them. I used the elctronaughts one though

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
wanted to share my review of Viveport Infinity, its pretty much a netflix likes service for VR and i seriously recommend checking it out, theres a 2 free week trial and if your in before the 5th of may you get a free copy of la noir to keep! Also should note that there giving 2 months free to all rift and rift s owners toward the launch of the rift to promote that it works on the service.

TLDW: tons of games, a lot of low quality games but just like netflix a good selection of highly recommended games like windlands 2, apex construct, i expect you to die and so much more. Cost is 12.99 a month or 99 a year. The value for me as someone who owns over 100+ vr titles is being able to play a lot of games that i could never justify paying full price for like Richies plank experience or the blu.

also i have a 60% off coupon for anyone interested in raw data for steam

LardHomers

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the same 4 coupons if anyone wants them!
Edit:
Raw Data Taken
Electronauts taken
QgiIXfw.png
I have some coupons to if anyone wants them. I used the elctronaughts one though

I'd love the coupons for the two Gallery games if possible! I just ordered the Rift S, My first PCVR HMD, and am trying to build a little collection of games for release day. Steam reviews for those games seem pretty positive and these discounts would be pretty sweet.