• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to see legit polling. If he is doing well, leave him alone. If he's sucking, take him out.

I get the feeling that hes not doing well outside the Era bubble, same as AOC. But I want to see numbers.
Plenty of poll numbers have said he's absolutely in the lead besides Biden who hasn't even announced.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Are you referring to the town hall? To me that seemed like a perfect way to boost his ideas, something politicians on the left in general have trouble doing. It's not on the same level as Beto's or AOC's livestreams, but it's better than just telling people to go to a website.

Oh, politically its a solid move. But if the issue is that the dem establishment is locking him out, agreeing to do the town hall seems like a thumbing of the nose a few weeks after they 'banned' the network (even though, subsequently, its success will probably lead to a bunch of candidates doing the same)

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to get folks to understand that the U.S. election system for President does NOT involve the popular vote which is why Clinton lost in the 2016 general despite winning the popular vote in 2016, if the U.S. used the popular vote, we would have Clinton as POTUS right now and not Trump, here's an ERA post I made about how the POTUS is elected: https://www.resetera.com/threads/er...-popular-vote-of-the-people-of-the-u-s.90133/

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when centrist Dems will stop blaming Bernie for Trump when a vast majority of Bernie voters converted to Hillary, and Hillary won 3 million more votes than Trump in the end. But it seems like people are more focused on their anti-Bernie narrarive than facts, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It was the Russians, it was Bernie, it was the Comey letter, it was Skrulls, it was this and that and everything except Hillary's campaigning.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie will once again be one of the reasons why Trump gets elected.

He'll lash out at the Democratic Party and damage all the other candidates in the process.

Russians will just need to pull out their 2016 playbook to get Bernie fans to not vote or vote for a third party.

seriously?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, politically its a solid move. But if the issue is that the dem establishment is locking him out, agreeing to do the town hall seems like a thumbing of the nose a few weeks after they 'banned' the network (even though, subsequently, its success will probably lead to a bunch of candidates doing the same)
Didn't they only ban the network for debates? Or was it all things including town halls?

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to see legit polling. If he is doing well, leave him alone. If he's sucking, take him out.

I get the feeling that hes not doing well outside the Era bubble, same as AOC. But I want to see numbers.

Legit polling shows Sanders doing well, fwiw.

That being said, he has a leg up on most of the competition because of name recognition and because he has his 2016 e-mail list/campaign infrastructure in tow, so it's easier for him to do fundraising whereas others are building from zero.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You'd think if a corporate-backed Dem establishment was trying to rig the primary against Bernie they would force like 15 other candidates to drop out so that the non-Bernie vote just had 1 or 2 candidates to coalesce around.

I read it. Those undisclosed Democratic dinners give opportunity for Pelosi, Schumer, and Buttigieg to mingle and chat. Not that I'm saying that's what happened, but the fact that during the dinner, Bernie was brought up gives room for pause.

Buttigieg is running for president. For everyone not named Joe Biden, Bernie is the biggest opponent in this primary. How would we not come up?

Nominate Bernie, see turnout rise.

I'm not sure how a 3-4 million vote loss in the primary translates into an overall increase in turnout in the general. Seems like a pretty specious argument for 2016, but I guess we'll able to test it again next year!

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Again, that's not 'his platform', or 'his party'.

He is not a Democrat -by choice.

So Democrats meeting to support their own candidates is... Agressively normal?

If it was me, you would -have- to be a member of a party for at least a year to seek its nomination.

Crazy, I know.
Weird that they list him as part of their platform then, huh.

Also I can't get over the idea that the dems would bar one of their best candidates merely for not being a party member for a year." We want to beat trump in 2020 but only if you meet this arbitrary criteria that has no real basis in reality. "

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
It was the Russians, it was Bernie, it was the Comey letter, it was Skrulls, it was this and that and everything except Hillary's campaigning.

It was a smoke screen so the dem establishment couldn't look into the mirror to see what the real problem was. They weren't COMPLETELY wrong... but they were wrong enough in their arrogance by not campaining the rust belt... that is what lead us to these 4 years of fucking trump.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
So? I'm sure Bernie's people are sitting around a table wondering "what to do about" the lot of other 2020 candidates, how to boost the signal of his campaign's message while diminishing his competition, etc.. As I would expect. He's running for POTUS, not the head of a book club.

I definitely think however that congressional dems— leadership in particular— need to get back to fucking work and stop twisting themselves into knots over any of the candidates. So many things going on right now, that require their attention right now, that are way more pressing than whatever Bernie is doing; or any of the candidates for that matter.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah Bernie will be the reason democrats fail once again to stop Trump.

But that's what happens when the Party decides for themselves who's supposed to be their primary candidate instead of, you know, going with what the people want.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie's not a Dem, which is why he spent the past 3 years campaigning for Dem candidates in congressional races. The nerve of that damn outlaw.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Also, how many didn't vote at all since was "RIGGED?"

I was actually going to ask if there were state breakdowns on Sanders -> Trump voters. The comparison to Clinton/Obama is one that is still useful, but Clinton lost by small margins in only three key states, so knowing those breakdowns is more important to the context than just the overall Clinton -> McCain numbers

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

But that's what happens when the Party decides for themselves who's supposed to be their primary candidate instead of, you know, going with what the people want.

You mean like when the people overwhelmingly voted for Clinton in the primary

That type of primary candidate that the people wanted?

Or the other kind

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017

Believe it or not, more people voted for Clinton in the Dem primaries in 2016. Crazy, I know.

Oct 27, 2017

But, Bern Dog got less votes in 2016. The voters did decide, just not the way you would like.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

Sanders deciding the South was too stupid to bother with decided who their nominee would be.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So? I'm sure Bernie's people are sitting around a table wondering "what to do about" the lot of other 2020 candidates, how to boost the signal of his campaign's message while diminishing his competition, etc.. As I would expect. He's running for POTUS, not the head of a book club.
I think a primary campaigns people are a much different story from the the Democrat establishment in DC. It makes sense for a primary to discuss their opponents. The establishment however shouldn't be viewing one of the leading candidates in their own primary as an opponent.
But, Bern Dog got less votes in 2016. The voters did decide, just not the way you would like.
Super delegates decided if I remember correctly. At the very least they set the stage.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The donor class in America is TERRIFIED that class consciousness will catch on. They have been terrified of that for over a century now. So this isn't surprising, that they are looking for other options, at politicians like Biden or (apparently) Buttigieg, who are less disruptive, who don't have aspirations to start cutting away that generational wealth. I doubt there will be an organized party effort to keep Bernie Sanders from being the nominee, however. It's too risky, I think the party will crystallize around the nominee, even if it's Bernie. Trump is just too awful.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched Bernie flip a Fox News audience. I want to see how far he can go.

That said, I haven't donated to him yet. I've been donating to Buttigieg, AOC, Ilhan, and Mark Kelly. I guess it's time to add Bernie.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Never Change-trash-corporate-swine-appealing-to-lowest-common-denominator-we-need-to-stay-in-power-and-never-disrupt-the-economic-structure-useless democrats.

Democratic leadership and party is trash.
Lmao, Bernie Sanders is the most milquetoast social democrat imaginable, especially by European standards.

It is fucking embarassing constantly how Bernie is this boogieman even though the platform he is on is popular and reasonable by all except the insanely fucking tilted U.S. standards. Well U.S. standards amongst a certain ilk of people - I think the young people of the U.S. love Bernie or at least the ideas propelling ihis platform (and therefore anyone else who is similar enough).

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
"There's a growing realization that Sanders could end up winning this thing, or certainly that he stays in so long that he damages the actual winner," said David Brock, the liberal organizer, who said he has had discussions with other operatives about an anti-Sanders campaign and believes it should commence "sooner rather than later."

Ugh not this guy again

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
They are powerful and this not wrong in the slightest this seems like establisment telling the American people who the candidate is gonna be which did not work out well in 2016.

Which only makes people believe they don't really represent us at all.

Honestly it's stories like this that make me dislike politics and right now I don't have good feelings about the Democratic Party. They are fake as hell.

They don't represent us at all. They represent those rich people they hide behind closed doors with.

Early indication shows the people are behind Bernie. What's the Democrats response to the voice of the people right now?

"Let's squash that".

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
The argument that Bernie isn't electable because he was soundly defeated by Hillary in the primary is not so solid. Hillary was an unstoppable political force in the Democratic Party. It was inevitable that she was going to win the 2016 primary. Everyone was practically preparing celebrations for her presidential win. This primary is a different game. In my view, Bernie has reached a similar level of popularity that Hillary has, and we can argue who is more popular between Biden and Bernie, but I think he has a stronger shot at winning the primary this time around.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yep. This is the only reason that that argument makes any sense, which is hilarious that its portrayed like this is Bernie's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.