• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm plugged into some of the Peloton online communities and folks that bought the Gen 2 bike recently are heated lol.

This ain't a phone. They're expensive machines. Luckily, Peloton is offering upgrades for those that recently bought the Gen 2 bike. I'm a Gen 2 bike owner, but I'm fine with the current bike--a swivel screen and auto resistance adjustments is not that big of a deal for me.

The old bike is still being sold and dropping to just under 2000 The new bike is 2400

A new cheaper Tread is coming as well. Looks like the new hardware may have integration to Apple's GymKit.

www.wired.com

Peloton Is Betting You’ll Never Go Back to the Gym

The long-rumored new bike and treadmill from Peloton arrives as the company doubles down on the home workout trend.

That sentiment is exactly what Peloton is hoping to capitalize on with its latest offerings. The seven-year-old fitness tech company, which has attracted more than a million paying subscribers with its blend of live-streamed and on-demand classes, was already a pandemic success story. Today it's officially revealing its long-rumored new products: a new indoor cycling bike; a less expensive version of its old bike; a cheaper treadmill; a new series of bootcamp classes; and some software updates, including integration with Apple's GymKit. (Much of this was previously reported by Bloomberg late last week.)

"You want to be able to excite people to work out, and we saw that formula come to life with the first Peloton Bike and Tread," says Tom Cortese, Peloton's chief operating officer and a cofounder of the New York City-based company. "So the idea that we could make this more accessible to more folks and more homes in more markets, just felt like, Yes. We've got a runner here. Let's do that next step and make it more compact and at a lower price point."

There are still elements of in-person exercise that can't be replaced by AI mirrors, VR workouts, and sensor-packed dumbbells.
The new Peloton indoor cycling bike, called Bike+, has a 23.8-inch swivel touchscreen, compared to the 22-inch touchscreen that stays fixed in position on the first bike. That means riders will be able to rotate the screen and transition more easily to other kinds of workout classes, like the "Bike Bootcamp" classes Peloton will soon roll out. The new bike also has a four-speaker sound system—an improvement over the first bike, which blares sound outward from the back of the tablet rather than towards the rider. And riders can opt to have their resistance auto-adjusted throughout a workout, rather than manually turning the resistance knob.

The new Bike+ ships this month and costs $2,495, while the "old" Bike is getting a price drop, from $2,245 to $1,895. (To appease customers who may have just spent $2,245 on the first bike, Peloton will issue a credit for the difference if their purchase was made within the last 30 days.)

Shotterke

Prophet of Regret
Oct 31, 2017
Belgium
So how much noise do these make? I've looking into something like this for a while but I live in an apartment and I don't want to annoy my neighbors.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm utterly astonished that the old ones didn't have auto resistance. Seems crazy to me given what they cost.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
So how much noise do these make? I've looking into something like this for a while but I live in an apartment and I don't want to annoy my neighbors.
Pretty much none, it's one of the smoothest bikes I've ever used and obviously has magnetic resistance so no noise on that front.

As for the new bike, meh, the only thing that annoys me is the lower price on the gen 2. Auto resistance I'd find useless as I'm always running 20-30% higher than what they say and a swivel screen is useless. Better speakers are a welcomed addition though, the ones in the gen 2 are garbage.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017

Incredibly quiet. Almost impossible to hear one room over. Put it on a rubber mat and I think stepping on it and clipping in will be more annoying for your neighbor below than anything else.

my wife and I joke that if it wasn't for our breathing (heavy breathing) we could have put it next to our bed.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
The bike itself doesn't draw any current? We tried a treadmill recently and it was drawing too much power for the circuit, lights were flickering. If so I'm more open to this.
The resistance is rare earth magnets, no power draw. The bike is perfectly functional without the screen on. It uses a power brick about the same size as a laptop, I'd be amazed if it was larger than 50 watts. It's the equivalent of driving a 27 inch monitor and that's about it.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
got a Peloton in May. and it is fun.

however, I find it difficult to sit comfortably... losing sensation... there.

I have tried to find out a better way to sit, because I'm just not there yet on going out of the saddle 100% of the time.

It's likely my starting weight, but I could just have always sat in bike seats wrong and now that I am going back to a bike its caught up with me.

Seriously though, super fun. classes are nice and have great instructors and music.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

I have tried to find out a better way to sit, because I'm just not there yet on going out of the saddle 100% of the time.

It's likely my starting weight, but I could just have always sat in bike seats wrong and now that I am going back to a bike its caught up with me.

Seriously though, super fun. classes are nice and have great instructors and music.
You can get a gel seat cover and/or padded shorts. It's a common complaint, especially with female riders.

Salamando

Oct 25, 2017
Got a bike back in April, so I'm kinda happy the plus has nothing much for me. Screen swivel is worthless - I can already cast workouts from the screen to a TV. Auto-resistance would similarly go unused - I prefer to ride according to "feel" as opposed to strict numbers.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Cool additions, but thankfully not enough to give me fomo with my current bike.

Do we know if HomeKit integration will come to the current bike? That's the one feature I'd like

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Cool additions, but thankfully not enough to give me fomo with my current bike.

Do we know if HomeKit integration will come to the current bike? That's the one feature I'd like
Homekit?

Do you mean Gymkit?

No. That requires a chip. The new bike has that chip.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Truly dont understand why people are willing to spend so much for these..... not trying to judge how others spend their money, but I truly dont understand the hype.

When you have bikes you can buy for like $300, why does the $2k one with a screen seem better? Ive never ridden one, is it a quality bike or something?

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's super quiet. My wife routinely rides next to the TV while I'm watching it. It never bothers me. I mean, I haven't been able to ride for 6 weeks because I tore my bicep and can't really support myself with my arms yet, so it bugs me that I can't really work out in a meaningful way, but the sound is no issue.

This just adds the swivel screen? That's cool, but I can already stream the other classes to my TV.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I keep going back & forth on whether get a Peloton machine or Tonal. I know they're for different use cases, but I can see the benefit of using either or.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Truly dont understand why people are willing to spend so much for these..... not trying to judge how others spend their money, but I truly dont understand the hype.

When you have bikes you can buy for like $300, why does the $2k one with a screen seem better? Ive never ridden one, is it a quality bike or something?
Not right now!

There's a huge bike shortage. Regular bikes on top of Peloton bikes.

But the appeal is the classes and music. You don't need their bike for that. You can just use their digital service with a real bike and bike trainer if you want. You'll need a stand for your tablet or phone, tho.

So does the apple watch sync only work on new gen pelatons

You can have Peloton send your data to Apple Health currently.

You can also use the Workout apps to track them.

But no Gymkit integration with the current bike.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Homekit?

Do you mean Gymkit?

No. That requires a chip. The new bike has that chip.
Ah yeah. Gymkit. Oh well, that's a shame. Not a massive deal though, because I've always felt like the bike is about 20% too generous with how many calories I burn in a ride

It's a very good bike, yeah. Incredibly well built, and quiet. Whether that's worth the money over getting another bike is up to the person I guess. Some people have money to spend.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I keep going back & forth on whether get a Peloton machine or Tonal. I know they're for different use cases, but I can see the benefit of using either or.
My well off cousin has both lol.

Tonal for weights and bootcamp style stuff and Peloton for cardio/HIIT.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
My well off cousin has both lol.

Tonal for weights and bootcamp style stuff and Peloton for cardio/HIIT.
Nice lol. I keep leaning more towards Tonal because I think weight training would be more beneficial for me. And it would make more sense to go running outside than to put that bike in my small condo at the moment. Has your cousin ever mentioned any negatives with Tonal?

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder about that. Do you think it's an aesthetic thing?
I'm not well versed in Peloton so can't say. If I were to hazard a guess I would say typical start up culture that prioritizes pushing a product to market ASAP.
I just remember reading a lot about this in the 90s when I got into cycling and even my mom was sending me articles about pro riders getting erectile issues.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Goddamn. I wish I could spend that much on something like this.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not well versed in Peloton so can't say. If I were to hazard a guess I would say typical start up culture that prioritizes pushing a product to market ASAP.
I just remember reading a lot about this in the 90s when I got into cycling and even my mom was sending me articles about pro riders getting erectile issues.
I remember that too. It's actually why I try to avoid cycling for really long distances.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
You can get a gel seat cover and/or padded shorts. It's a common complaint, especially with female riders.
then maybe its how I am sitting, my wife has no problems sitting but (to be vulgar)

the boys lose feeling after/during riding. First time I rode I felt like my testicles had fallen off.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
If they ever added auto resist they need to allow Zwift to be used on their bike.
if that's the case Peloton should also allow smart trainers and bikes like Kickr and Tacx to be used on their spin classes as well using ERG mode.

EDIT: I think the long-term money for Peloton is to grow their subscriber base as opposed to just selling bikes; you'll get a lot more people paying $40+/month if you let peeps use their cycling gear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
then maybe its how I am sitting, my wife has no problems sitting but (to be vulgar)

the boys lose feeling after/during riding. First time I rode I felt like my testicles had fallen off.
I'm going by the complaints of the Peloton Facebook groups I'm a part of. Obviously not scientific lol.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017

Look into split seats so there's less pressure on the soft tissues aka your taint. Gel covers, padded shorts and how you are sitting all contribute as well. Try to sit on your butt bones instead of your cheeks.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

I don't own a Peloton, but this is a common issue with new riders. I'd recommend against a gel seat, and get yourself a pair of chamois shorts. That will help. Apart from that, it's just conditioning your butt to get used to a cycling saddle. And there's no way anyone could ever ride out of the saddle 100% of the time.