• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
For $650, I'm putting together a DIY peloton.

Basically you need a bike, cadence sensor, heart rate sensor, and tablet. Subscribe to the Peloton app for $13 a month and you've built your own setup for a fraction of the cost.
Many people do this. What's funny it that is actually becomes a lead generation machine for Peloton. So many get started with the app then buy the full bike lol.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Not really relevant to the OP, but I find it amazing that Peloton launched into the stratosphere this year due to COVID after the media and blue check marks lambasted them for their holiday advertisement. Turns out, women want Pelotons. Huh, how about that?

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell at those prices? I guess this is not yet popular in Canada as it's the first time I hear of them, but serious w-t-h?

Oct 27, 2017
Newnan, GA
They only announced this because I finally bought one last year. I do hope they come up with some sort of Apple Watch solution for the older bike. Right now you have to use 3rd party apps to be able to have the watch act as a heart rate sensor.

Jul 1, 2020
The only compelling new feature of the Bike+ for me is the GymKit support but even though I just got mine two weeks ago after 2 months of waiting Its not enough to go through the hassle of swapping it out. I know about BlueHeart and HeartCast but they just don't work for me and I'm not too keen on spending a bunch of time getting all of my Bluetooth devices around the campfire singing Kumbaya before I can workout.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
I'm utterly astonished that the old ones didn't have auto resistance. Seems crazy to me given what they cost.

Yeah blows my mind too, I use NordicTrack and it does all the resistance changes for you and also incline and declines. It's really cool for when you are doing the outdoor virtual rides / map rides. Peloton crushes it in the marketing though so I don't think people seem to realize some of the other options.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Not really relevant to the OP, but I find it amazing that Peloton launched into the stratosphere this year due to COVID after the media and blue check marks lambasted them for their holiday advertisement. Turns out, women want Pelotons. Huh, how about that?
I'm pretty sure women are their dominant demographic as well. I'd guess 60 to 40 or even 70 to 30.

I used to do spin classes IRL before getting Peloton and not many guys there either lol.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure women are their dominant demographic as well. I'd guess 60 to 40 or even 70 to 30.

I used to do spin classes IRL before getting Peloton and not many guys there either lol.
Same. Fell in love with spin, but every class was easily 80-90% women, unless there was a theme that catered to traditionally male tastes.

Peloton has been the absolute best, and ironically partly because of how much money I've been saving. Sure the bike is expensive, but my partner and I were spending over $300 a month between the two of us for Spin classes. This let's us spend like $150 a month for the bike payments, and when those are done we just have to split the $50 subscription cost. Peloton is absolutely an expensive device, but anyone who is coming off of regular Spin classes will likely be saving money pretty quick.

Gulfwarvet

Oct 30, 2017
Looked at peleton but got a technogym bike instead, shit is hard work, getting into it now though, virtual rides are nice 40 minute romps.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Truly dont understand why people are willing to spend so much for these..... not trying to judge how others spend their money, but I truly dont understand the hype.

When you have bikes you can buy for like $300, why does the $2k one with a screen seem better? Ive never ridden one, is it a quality bike or something?
Yeah, I've decided not to fall down the endless rabbit hole of cycling upgrades and decided to get an indoor trainer mount for my mountain bike instead.

I also got the Wahoo cadence and speed sensors and they are super handy for tracking mileage.

I do about 3 sessions of hiit workouts each week (GCN videos) and I've been getting some good results.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn got my peloton in July. The upgrades are nice but not really missed by me. I'd be pissed if it was a whole new bike.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I've decided not to fall down the endless rabbit hole of cycling upgrades and decided to get an indoor trainer mount for my mountain bike instead.

I also got the Wahoo cadence and speed sensors and they are super handy for tracking mileage.

I do about 3 sessions of hiit workouts each week (GCN videos) and I've been getting some good results.
Have you looked at Zwift?

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A few friends swear by Peloton but I'm not sure I need one, however I do want to get an exercise bike for the coming winter months. Are there cheaper alternatives?

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
A few friends swear by Peloton but I'm not sure I need one, however I do want to get an exercise bike for the coming winter months. Are there cheaper alternatives?
The usual goto budget configuration is Sunni bikes ($400) coupled with a peloton digital subscription ($12.99/month). You miss out on leaderboards and metrics, but that isn't important for a lot of people.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The usual goto budget configuration is Sunni bikes ($400) coupled with a peloton digital subscription ($12.99/month). You miss out on leaderboards and metrics, but that isn't important for a lot of people.

Okay yeah leaderboards and metrics aren't too important, just want something I can do until gyms are safe again. The sub being only 13 for a month sounds nice. Probably a dumb question but are these bikes good for those days when you just want to zone out and watch tv or a movie?

Looking at Sunny's website, this seems to be in the range:

https://sunnyhealthfitness.com/coll...synergy-magnetic-indoor-cycling-bike-sf-b1879

I saw someone else in this thread linked this other one from Wal-mart around the same price:

Robot or human?

Oct 25, 2017
Truly dont understand why people are willing to spend so much for these..... not trying to judge how others spend their money, but I truly dont understand the hype.

When you have bikes you can buy for like $300, why does the $2k one with a screen seem better? Ive never ridden one, is it a quality bike or something?

Everyone always says this and overlooks the classes aspect, or the safety

Not everyone wants to ride outside and not everyone can motivate on their own

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Okay yeah leaderboards and metrics aren't too important, just want something I can do until gyms are safe again. The sub being only 13 for a month sounds nice. Probably a dumb question but are these bikes good for those days when you just want to zone out and watch tv or a movie?

Looking at Sunny's website, this seems to be in the range:

https://sunnyhealthfitness.com/coll...synergy-magnetic-indoor-cycling-bike-sf-b1879

I saw someone else in this thread linked this other one from Wal-mart around the same price:

Robot or human?

From what I've read, Echelon bikes are decent, the app is terrible in comparison to Peloton though.

Sunny has a rock solid reputation, they just don't look flashy. As for watching TV, I often watch TV and have the app going in the background and just keep up with the cadence / resistance.

They're all good bikes with or without the app running.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Everyone always says this and overlooks the classes aspect, or the safety

Not everyone wants to ride outside and not everyone can motivate on their own
Or the family aspect. If my wife and I were to join a spin studio, it'd cost twice the price monthly even after the hardware price and you'd have to worry about finding the time with kids.

Not everyone has 2 or more hours to dedicate to a gym a few days a week with commuting and workout time. There is zero excuses to find 20-30 minutes in your day when the thing is sitting in your living room or basement.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've read, Echelon bikes are decent, the app is terrible in comparison to Peloton though.

Sunny has a rock solid reputation, they just don't look flashy. As for watching TV, I often watch TV and have the app going in the background and just keep up with the cadence / resistance.

They're all good bikes with or without the app running.

Thanks for your input! Gonna go with the Sunny.

Oct 25, 2017
Or the family aspect. If my wife and I were to join a spin studio, it'd cost twice the price monthly even after the hardware price and you'd have to worry about finding the time with kids.

Not everyone has 2 or more hours to dedicate to a gym a few days a week with commuting and workout time. There is zero excuses to find 20-30 minutes in your day when the thing is sitting in your living room or basement.

That's the other thing, it's far easier to share a peloton bike over a normal bike.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a dumb question but are these bikes good for those days when you just want to zone out and watch tv or a movie?

I was talking to someone who owns a Peloton yesterday and I could swear I misheard him, but I don't think the tablet has any apps and can only do Peloton classes and such. No netfilx, no streaming, no books. I was honestly dumbfounded by that.

For you owners: 1) is that true and 2) if so, has anyone hacked one yet to side-load Netflix or anything?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking to someone who owns a Peloton yesterday and I could swear I misheard him, but I don't think the tablet has any apps and can only do Peloton classes and such. No netfilx, no streaming, no books. I was honestly dumbfounded by that.

For you owners: 1) is that true and 2) if so, has anyone hacked one yet to side-load Netflix or anything?

1) Yes, it's true.
2) No idea.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
The only compelling new feature of the Bike+ for me is the GymKit support but even though I just got mine two weeks ago after 2 months of waiting Its not enough to go through the hassle of swapping it out. I know about BlueHeart and HeartCast but they just don't work for me and I'm not too keen on spending a bunch of time getting all of my Bluetooth devices around the campfire singing Kumbaya before I can workout.

Same. I'm very happy to get that refund, though. Already love my Peloton, but with the discount, it's even better.

Officially, that's true. They have hinted at Netflix coming officially down the road, but I imagine it's a combination of not wanting to pay Netflix anything for it and trying to ensure folks stay invested in the classes/Peloton subscription.

However, you can sideload the Android Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu app and run it on the bike. Or, you can just use the web browser to go to the web version of those video apps.

Jul 1, 2020
Same. I'm very happy to get that refund, though. Already love my Peloton, but with the discount, it's even better.

Officially, that's true. They have hinted at Netflix coming officially down the road, but I imagine it's a combination of not wanting to pay Netflix anything for it and trying to ensure folks stay invested in the classes/Peloton subscription.

However, you can sideload the Android Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu app and run it on the bike. Or, you can just use the web browser to go to the web version of those video apps.
I'm spending part of my refund on a better heart rate monitor than the bundled one which is really finicky.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

Sakurai style lol.

He doesn't have a Peloton, but has an exercise bike and watches TV at 2x speed and plays games at the same time lol.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised that the Peleton didn't have auto resistance when I first got it. Seemed like a no brainer.

Now...I'm not sure I would want it. I like being able to dial in the resistance based on the combo of the recommended resistance in the workout and how I'm actually feeling at the time of the workout.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Do you know if they have things that aren't instructional? Do they have outdoor settings you can ride in.
Yep. They have some scenic stuff. It's called "Just Ride". You can actually own a Peloton without the subscription, but you only have access to Just Ride.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was surprised that the Peleton didn't have auto resistance when I first got it. Seemed like a no brainer.

Now...I'm not sure I would want it. I like being able to dial in the resistance based on the combo of the recommended resistance in the workout and how I'm actually feeling at the time of the workout.

That's my thing, some days I'm feeling good and will just blow past the recommended resistance and other times if I'm dogging it and need a breather, I won't increase resistance for a section. I wouldn't mind maybe paddle's on the handlebar or something instead of the knob but I wouldn't really use the auto resistance option if offered. Swivel screen I understand the utility of
If you're using the other types of classes but it streams to my TV super easily and I prefer the 55" screen

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Peloton just seems absurdly expensive for what it is and then you have to pay a subscription as well....

It's just a nope all round from me, particularly when they change the expensive hardware with little warning like this....

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Its been a decades long concern in cycling in general, and not just for women. Surprised they don't make more ergonomic seats to address this issue.
Saddles are designed with comfort as a high priority. The problem is that it's a hard problem to solve.

Bikes with extremely upright postures, like beach cruisers, often have wide squishy saddles that approximate seats. This can be comfortable for short amounts of time, but over long rides they can feel like they're just smashing butt tissue, and the upright spine can lead to back tightness. The upright posture also isn't very aerodynamic.

Road bikes rotate the rider's posture farther forward to solve these problems. But a rotated pelvis means that you're "sitting" on a different area of your pelvis than when you're in a chair, a narrower and farther forward spot, and an area which usually needs to be trained to deal with that sort of load (because it doesn't get strained in that way in day-to-day life). And different people have differently-shaped pelvises and different posture requirements.

Last edited:

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I should ask for the upgraded version since I will have one shipping in a little over a month.

Do we know when this new version is shipping?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I love my Peloton though I don't think I'll upgrade until I have to move (to avoid shipping this bad boy with me).

I'm hoping Peloton hurries up and acquire Tonal so I can pay only one membership.

#WolfPack #PowerPurposePeddlestrokes